Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay ill

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Life’s not fair. I have friends who are fans of other team as, never not even during the Saturday drama, has Jim Irsay come up in conversation about football or the colts. 98 percent of fans around the league couldn’t even tell you who Irsay is

I get what you are saying, but I think that is a major stretch… 98%? 

I certainly hope Mr Irsay recovers. When someone is addicted , you have to get them away from people and places that help spur the addiction. As an NFL team owner, there is a lot of pressure to produce. Maybe the time is right to turn over stewardship to his daughters. It is also probably a good idea to stop touring with rock and rollers with the Irsay collection. We all know the temptations of the rock and roll lifestyle. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

This is one of your most nonsensical takes.  Music is actually a very bonding experience.   Playing music for fun or money make life long bonds.  You obviously aren't a musician.   If you don't believe me ask @Gramz.   Why do you always speak from an authority on subjects you have zero clue about?

That comment has a lot of "you's and "your's" in it.  Frequent mean-spirited posts of nothing but personal shot/baiting.  

Your trouble-making quick trigger quote failed to catch my edit of that comment, which wasn't written how I wanted it.   

and  @Gramz

Yes, speaking from authority, I do know what Introverted is:

Art is an individual expression.  Creativity an introverted activity in the sense you are satisfying yourself with the product before others see it or hear it.  Like being a writer.  Introverted has absolutely nothing to do with how social a person is, or how many friends and bonds they have, or how long they've been in the same band. 

Addiction is a very introverted and personal thing,  As another has noted with the music industry (which means the successful musicians...the actual artists...not the weekend band hackers), the association is valid, but not absolute...as if anybody was saying it was.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Myles said:

I am an alcoholic.   I drank about a 5th of rum or vodka a day for many years.  I quit a few months ago.   It will always be a struggle but you have to have a goal.  Mine is my family and the next marker on the calendar.  100 days is creeping up.

Stay strong, brother.  I don’t know you but will surely raise you up in prayer.  His peace and strength to you.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

That comment has a lot of "you's and "your's" in it.  Frequent mean-spirited posts of nothing but personal shot/baiting.  

Your trouble-making quick trigger quote failed to catch my edit of that comment, which wasn't written how I wanted it.   

and  @Gramz

Art is an individual expression.  Creativity an introverted activity in the sense you are satisfying yourself with the product before others see it or hear it.  Like being a writer.  Introverted has absolutely nothing to do with how social a person is, or how many friends and bonds they have, or how long they've been in the same band. 

Addiction is a very introverted and personal thing,  As another has noted with the music industry (which means the successful musicians...the actual artists...not the weekend band hackers), the association is valid, but not absolute...as if anybody was saying it was.

The very definition of introvert is a shy reticent person.

I understand that may not be what you meant but that is the Definition.

And further......I'm not going to get into a discussion about success, as there are so many levels of success.  

I only commented because I was tagged in the post. 

Back to the main topic, I hope Jim is getting the help and care and medical treatment to get healthy.  That is what matters.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

and  @Gramz

You understand Jim Irsay doesn't write music.  He is just one of "weekend hackers " that happens to also be a billionaire.  

34 minutes ago, Gramz said:

The very definition of introvert is a shy reticent person.

Not as a personality.  That's just how everybody else uses the word....as a label.

What is an introvert personality?

An introvert is a person with qualities of a personality type known as introversion, which means that they feel more comfortable focusing on their inner thoughts and ideas, rather than what's happening externally. 

Many introverted personalities have occupations and hobbies that take them with other people.  That's usually a matter of circumstances and income choices, but job and hobbies do not always reflect who they are at their root.

Addiction is a focus on self.  Artistic expression is self expression, usually of their own thoughts.  Neither focuses on what is happening around them compared to an extroverted personality.  That is the general connection between addiction and musicians, among others...but I have no idea if Irsay has an introverted personality.

Its why folks on this forum who call out others...and there is about 3 or 4 persistent posters.....are almost always wrong in their basis.  They are wrong, but call out others for being wrong.  It would be hilarious if it wasn't so awful.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not as a personality.  That's just how everybody else uses the word....as a label.

What is an introvert personality?

An introvert is a person with qualities of a personality type known as introversion, which means that they feel more comfortable focusing on their inner thoughts and ideas, rather than what's happening externally. 

Many introverted personalities have occupations and hobbies that take them with other people.  That's usually a matter of circumstances and income choices, but job and hobbies do not always reflect who they are at their root.

Addiction is a focus on self.  Artistic expression is self expression, usually of their own thoughts.  Neither focuses on what is happening around them compared to an extroverted personality.  That is the general connection between addiction and musicians, among others...but I have no idea if Irsay has an introverted personality.

Its why folks on this forum who call out others...and there is about 3 or 4 persistent posters.....are almost always wrong in their basis.  They are wrong, but call out others for being wrong.  It would be hilarious if it wasn't so awful.  

I get what you're saying but isn't it also wrong to suggest musicians are addicts? 

True, some are, but that is also true with dentists, doctors, athletes, joe normals and so on.  and many other professionals. I have a lot of very successful musician friends and family members...... some don't even so much as take a drink of anything. So wrong to stereotype.

And to refer to people who are making a decent living doing something they love and getting paid for as "weekend band hackers" is just rude.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I get what you're saying but isn't it also wrong to suggest musicians are addicts? 

True, some are, but that is also true with dentists, doctors, athletes, joe normals and so on.  and many other professionals. I have a lot of very successful musician friends and family members...... some don't even so much as take a drink of anything. So wrong to stereotype.

And to refer to people who are making a decent living doing something they love and getting paid for as "weekend band hackers" is just rude.

Gene Simmons has never drink a day in his life or used drugs, using 1 example, and Kiss is regarded as a top 10 band ever. Kiss has been around since the 70's. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gramz said:

Musicians, Are, Addicts.   Suggesting.  hmmm.  If that's how you read my comments, I can't have a discussion with people who can only see absolutes, and read text only that way.   The convo won't work. 

Go Colts...yay.

BTW, based upon how you read my comment, I would think that you would say I was suggesting that introverts are addicts.   

8 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I get what you are saying, but I think that is a major stretch… 98%? 

Having traveled extensively across the country and the globe, you get out of Indiana and most people don’t even know we have an NBA team. Most still can’t name the colts owner. Jim Irsay as great an owner as he is, we’re a small market team.  Very few people outside of Indiana care enough to know who the owner is.  Sad fact

40 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Having traveled extensively across the country and the globe, you get out of Indiana and most people don’t even know we have an NBA team. Most still can’t name the colts owner. Jim Irsay as great an owner as he is, we’re a small market team.  Very few people outside of Indiana care enough to know who the owner is.  Sad fact

You are pretty much right. I think 98% is a stretch but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 80%. Jim has won a SB and has been in the news a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You are pretty much right. I think 98% is a stretch but I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 80%. Jim has won a SB and has been in the news a lot.

Outside of people like Jerry Jones who is the face of his franchise unless you are die hard NfL fan you probably can’t name many owners of NFL teams aside from your own.  For example how many people here could name the Saints, Bills, Seahawks, etc owners without looking them up?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Outside of people like Jerry Jones who is the face of his franchise unless you are die hard NfL fan you probably can’t name many owners of NFL teams aside from your own.  For example how many people here could name the Saints, Bills, Seahawks, etc owners without looking them up?

Without looking up.

Saints - Benson

Bills - Pegula

Seahawks - Allen

Those were actually 3 pretty easy ones there 

For fun:

Colts - Irsay

Chiefs - Hunt

49ers - York

Broncos - Walton

Steelers - Rooney

Giants - Mara

Lions - Ford

Patriots - Kraft

Cowboys - Jones

Jaguars - Khan

Commanders - Harris

Cardinals - Bidwell (I think he is still there)

Raiders - Davis

Bengals - Brown

Eagles - Lurie

Chargers - Spanos

Ravens - Biscotti(Sp?)

Jets - Johnson

Panthers - Tepper

Falcons - Blank

Alright that's enough thinking this early in the morning.

Some other I should know they are just escaping me at the moment.

Missing:

Texans - 

Titans - 

Browns -

Rams - 

Bears - McCloskey (Sp?)

Packers - No owner?

Vikings - Wolf(?)

Buccaneers - 

Dolphins -

I feel like most of these are on the tip of my tongue. 

The first 4 on the missed list, are embarrassing to me, that I can't get their names out right now. (2) division opponents and (2) guys been in the news a lot the last few years.

Vikings, Bucs and Dolphins are all right there on the tip of my tongue as well. 

Guess that means I'm a die hard, aye?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Without looking up.

Saints - Benson

Bills - Pegula

Seahawks - Allen

For fun:

Colts - Irsay

Chiefs - Hunt

49ers - York

Broncos - Walton

Steelers - Rooney

Giants - Mara

Lions - Ford

Patriots - Kraft

Cowboys - Jones

Jaguars - Khan

Commanders - Harris

Raiders - Davis

Bengals - Brown

Eagles - Lurie

Chargers - Spanos

Ravens - Biscotti(Sp?)

Jets - Johnson

Panthers - Tepper

Falcons - Blank

Missing:

Texans - 

Titans - 

Browns -

Rams - 

Bears - McCloskey (Sp?)

Packers - No owner?

Vikings - Wolf(?)

Buccaneers - 

Dolphins -

The first 4 on the missed list, are embarrassing to me, that I can't get their names out right now. (2) division opponents and (2) guys been in the news a lot the last few years.

Yeah your last line is my point lol.  I think a lot of the people here are die hards and probably could name more owners than most people could.  I know more owners than I should but at the same time if you named me name baseball team owners or basketball team owners, two sports I don’t follow closely I could tell you the cubs or pacers because they are who I like and then like the Yankees or Knicks because their owners are in the news a lot but I couldn’t tell you who owns the Royals or Nuggets for example.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah your last line is my point lol.  I think a lot of the people here are die hards and probably could name more owners than most people could.  I know more owners than I should but at the same time if you named me name baseball team owners or basketball team owners, two sports I don’t follow closely I could tell you the cubs or pacers because they are who I like and then like the Yankees or Knicks because their owners are in the news a lot but I couldn’t tell you who owns the Royals or Nuggets for example.  

Yeah, I just started with the 3, then wanted to see how many I could get

Finally excited to remember ted kroenke(sp?)

That one was really driving me crazy  just now popped in my head.

• Like 1

Addicts are not crazy, they are ill.  No one wants to be addicted any more than no one wants cancer. Most people are in charge of their senses after recovery permanently or temporarily. I can't say for certain but I have never heard of a person rehabbing 15 times. No one here can do anything other than wish him the best. I don't envy him. At his age abusing is much more dangerous that at a young age. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Addicts are not crazy, they are ill.  No one wants to be addicted any more than no one wants cancer. Most people are in charge of their senses after recovery permanently or temporarily. I can't say for certain but I have never heard of a person rehabbing 15 times. No one here can do anything other than wish him the best. I don't envy him. At his age abusing is much more dangerous that at a young age. 

I agree on all points. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Depends on the type of addiction as to whether or not they be crazy. Gettin addicted to prescription pain killers, that can happen to anyone crazy or not. 

getting addicted to battery acid meth, yeah, you be crazy cause you tried it in the first place. 

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Without looking up.

Saints - Benson

Bills - Pegula

Seahawks - Allen

For fun:

Colts - Irsay

Chiefs - Hunt

49ers - York

Broncos - Walton

Steelers - Rooney

Giants - Mara

Lions - Ford

Patriots - Kraft

Cowboys - Jones

Jaguars - Khan

Commanders - Harris

Raiders - Davis

Bengals - Brown

Eagles - Lurie

Chargers - Spanos

Ravens - Biscotti(Sp?)

Jets - Johnson

Panthers - Tepper

Falcons - Blank

Missing:

Texans - 

Titans - 

Browns -

Rams - 

Bears - McCloskey (Sp?)

Packers - No owner?

Vikings - Wolf(?)

Buccaneers - 

Dolphins -

Yeah you be a special though haha. Most fans aren’t that good 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

BTW, you were brought into this musician discussion by a known forum trouble-maker.  And didn't ask for it.

My discussion of the topic was not really my own original thought, but was  in response to NFLfan...a moderator...who said this:  (on page 5)

It does seem like many in the music industry seem to battle those kinds of issues.

A comment, that for some reason...LOL..., wasn't challenged by the usually crowd that challenges me and "likes" others who do. 

I was simply and indirectly offering support for a Moderator's rather unsupported statement by showing common personality traits of introversion between the two groups...which has nothing to do with non-music-industry-musicians.  No big deal.  Nothing conclusive.  Just throwing a generalized bone to support someone else's comment.

And, I didn't even like what I said, so I deleted it.  The known trouble-maker who is one of those who patrols the forum to pounce on any opportunity he can.....wrote a comment about me based on a comment I didn't even really say because I didn't like the way I said it.    In a typical mean sprited way, offering his grudge he's held for many years.

Yeah, I think you referred to some of the most successful musician superstars, but anyway it's never one-size-fits-all, so let's leave it at that.

If Irsay has his band keep him in better state of mind, good for him. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, I think you referred to some of the most successful musician superstars, but anyway it's never one-size-fits-all, so let's leave it at that.

If Irsay has his band keep him in better state of mind, good for him. 

I wouldn't have referred to any stars by name or indirectly.  Just separating out true artists and their creativity from the hobbyists who hack an instrument on the weekend to play someone else's songs.  Its too deep of a convo for this forum, which is why it was a bone-throw support to a nearly throw away comment by NFLfan.   

Perhaps this respiratory episode has nothing to do with his (former) addictions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah you be a special though haha. Most fans aren’t that good 

Yeah, I know, I just went to respond to the 3, then decided to see how many I could get.

Got to the end and I came to the conclusion that I was a die hard.lol.

Still annoyed I couldn't come up with more. Lol  Was able to get Kroenke after some harder thinking, finally.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah, I know, I just went to respond to the 3, then decided to see how many I could get.

Got to the end and I came to the conclusion that I was a die hard.lol.

Still annoyed I couldn't come up with more. Lol  Was able to get Kroenke after some harder thinking, finally.

I might get 4

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

Depends on the type of addiction as to whether or not they be crazy. Gettin addicted to prescription pain killers, that can happen to anyone crazy or not. 

getting addicted to battery acid meth, yeah, you be crazy cause you tried it in the first place. 

You are way off because there is not medical term "crazy" when it comes to addiction. Unbelievable post on your part.

6 hours ago, w87r said:

Thanks, seeing the nuggets, brought Kroenke out of me.

As he owns them as well.

He also owns the Avalanche in the NHL. Kroenke had an insane run with the Rams, Nuggets and Avalanche all winning their respective sports' championships. I'm a Nuggets and Avalanche fan from Colorado, so I was loving this in two sports. The Nuggets championship in particular was a huge deal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, King Colt said:

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth has been to rehab about 18-20 times over the course of his life. He’s been mostly successful since his last rehab stint which I believe was in 2002. I think he’s been pretty well clean since then. Likewise David Ellefson of Megadeth also went to rehab many times but he was able to kick the habit much sooner than his counterpart.

There are definitely a handful of well known musicians who have entered rehab many many times…Steven Tyler of Aerosmith is another. Likewise there are probably thousands of lesser public people who deal with it as well.

But your right, the only way a person can be clean is through their own will and desire…people can be a reinforcement and a compassionate soul but ultimately it likes with the addicted. 

Love Jim as an owner but let's face it, he has issues.  I'm sorry, but it's hard to feel sorry for someone who has the world in his hand, but that is still not enough.  I hope he gets the help he needs, but by his own actions, his multiple rehab sessions have been failures.  You can't help someone who won't help themself.  What a shame.

• Like 1

Obviously none of us know exactly what happened, but this might be the time Irsay needs to focus on his health and let his daughters take over. Not saying be away from the team completely, but just give up some responsibilities just to relieve some of the burden. He's not getting any younger.

13 hours ago, ojsglove said:

Love Jim as an owner but let's face it, he has issues.  I'm sorry, but it's hard to feel sorry for someone who has the world in his hand, but that is still not enough.  I hope he gets the help he needs, but by his own actions, his multiple rehab sessions have been failures.  You can't help someone who won't help themself.  What a shame.

Many wealthy persons have sought out help and some taken their own lives.

There is a lot of whack comments in here I cant believe this thread hasn't been closed yet. 

Addiction is an illness, nothing else. Nobody chooses it, nobody wants it, nobody is crazy. It doesn't make you any less of a person. It can happen to anybody. Anybody who thinks differently is just un-informed. Either inform yourself or don't comment on what you don't know.

I was an alcoholic for a long time. 7 years sober now. Alcoholism runs in my family. Its a brutal thing. Opioids are on a level of their own. Can't imagine what Jim and his family have been going through. Hoping he can recover.

• Like 5

We don't know the full details, but this makes me think a lot less of Irsay's immediate circle/family if he is abusing again. At this point in his life, with all the medical/drug issues he's had, and the stupid amount of money he has, he shouldn't be in scenarios where he can be abusing drugs again. If he is openly using, they're all simply yes men and that's pretty pathetic.

Now, an overdose doesn't mean he necessarily was abusing tons of drugs, but at this point in his life, and with the amount of laced stuff out there, it doesn't take a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colts89 said:

We don't know the full details, but this makes me think a lot less of Irsay's immediate circle/family if he is abusing again. At this point in his life, with all the medical/drug issues he's had, and the stupid amount of money he has, he shouldn't be in scenarios where he can be abusing drugs again. If he is openly using, they're all simply yes men and that's pretty pathetic.

Now, an overdose doesn't mean he necessarily was abusing tons of drugs, but at this point in his life, and with the amount of laced stuff out there, it doesn't take a lot.

If only fighting addiction was that easy.

3 hours ago, colts89 said:

Irsay’s immediate circle and family can’t be with him 24/7/365.   He’s going to be alone from time to time.  If he’s using, then he’ll hide his drugs.   I think your expectations for his family are not realistic or fair. 

• Like 1