Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay ill

On 1/19/2024 at 8:23 PM, King Colt said:

You are way off because there is not medical term "crazy" when it comes to addiction. Unbelievable post on your part.

Whether or not it is recognized by the medical establishment matters not. 

you be bat crap crazy shooting up battery acid and brake fluid. Period.

from the Webster dictionary: not mentally sound : marked by thought or action that lacks reason : 

id say there’s a serious lack of reasoning to shoot up brake fluid and battery acid. 

36 minutes ago, csmopar said:

from the Webster dictionary: not mentally sound : marked by thought or action that lacks reason : 

id say there’s a serious lack of reasoning to shoot up brake fluid and battery acid. 

Now you tell me

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If only fighting addiction was that easy.

He has a close family who knows his history and could easily keep a close eye on him, along with an ungodly amount of money to obtain the best rehab around along with being able to hire people to protect him from his own vices. Dude can barely walk and is appears that he's still abusing hardcore drugs as almost a 70 year old because he wants to larp like a rock star. It's a lot easier for him to stop then almost every human alive. I used to defend him as an owner, but he has to give up those responsibilities to his daughter if he's been making any decisions under the influence.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 11:59 AM, DougDew said:

According to the article, Irsay said that he has been in rehab 15 different times.  As a person who knows many folks who work with addiction, they say that help only goes so far, and its more about the person themselves tackling the issue.

Like I said, you can't help someone who won't help their self.  I hate this for Jim and his family, but the man has everything he, or anyone would ever need, yet it is still not enough for him.  He has had multiple chances to get clean, probably more than most people in his condition would ever get, and he still chooses to do the drugs.  I read the post "wth can't we just wish Jim the best", sorry, but that has already been tried, multiple times.  Sad

On 1/19/2024 at 11:36 AM, csmopar said:

Depends on the type of addiction as to whether or not they be crazy. Gettin addicted to prescription pain killers, that can happen to anyone crazy or not. 

getting addicted to battery acid meth, yeah, you be crazy cause you tried it in the first place. 

A large majority of substance abuse/addiction stems from being prescribed prescription opioids and when the legal means of obtaining them dry up, illicit means become the avenue.

Nobody wakes up and chooses to start using meth.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Irsay’s immediate circle and family can’t be with him 24/7/365.   He’s going to be alone from time to time.  If he’s using, then he’ll hide his drugs.   I think your expectations for his family are not realistic or fair. 

Agreed. From my wife's stories (she has worked in inpatient and outpatient substance abuse facilities for almost a decade as a therapist), an addict that wants to use will find the means, manipulate everyone around them (usually unknown to the person being manipulated, and hide the drugs in places none of us would ever think to look. If true, his family could only do but so much.

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm thankful so many here have never had to have a loved one with addiction issues.

However,  if you haven't been close to someone with addiction issues,  you really don't know what you're talking about.   

Prescription pain killers is one of the most prevalent addictions in this country.   Some of these addicts never had a chance.   End up with chronic pain and before you know it,  you're hooked.   Now they have to go doctor shopping to get more and more.   Some end up going outside of legal measures to get what they need.   Once an addict,  always an addict.   It's a lifelong fight.  

Nailed it.

9 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

There is a lot of whack comments in here I cant believe this thread hasn't been closed yet. 

Addiction is an illness, nothing else. Nobody chooses it, nobody wants it, nobody is crazy. It doesn't make you any less of a person. It can happen to anybody. Anybody who thinks differently is just un-informed. Either inform yourself or don't comment on what you don't know.

100% agreed.

9 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I was an alcoholic for a long time. 7 years sober now. Alcoholism runs in my family. Its a brutal thing. Opioids are on a level of their own. Can't imagine what Jim and his family have been going through. Hoping he can recover.

Congratulations on your 7 years! I know it can't be easy, but that's incredible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, Shive said:

A large majority of substance abuse/addiction stems from being prescribed prescription opioids and when the legal means of obtaining them dry up, illicit means become the avenue.

Nobody wakes up and chooses to start using meth.

Agreed. From my wife's stories (she has worked in inpatient and outpatient substance abuse facilities for almost a decade as a therapist), an addict that wants to use will find the means, manipulate everyone around them (usually unknown to the person being manipulated, and hide the drugs in places none of us would ever think to look. If true, his family could only do but so much.

Nailed it.

100% agreed.

Congratulations on your 7 years! I know it can't be easy, but that's incredible.

A thousand thanks for your wonderful post.   You offer tremendous insight and context.   Very much needed and appreciated.   

• Like 3

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

None of your examples apply to addiction.

The NFL was a firm believer in drugs a number of years back. Today I watched a documentary this morning about the refusal of the NFL and their coaches to recognize the dangers of popping pills to fix the injuries suffered by the players. Some of the testimonies by players said they were taking as many as 70 pills per day. One player for the Saints said the "medicine" cabinet was never locked and any player could simply grab as many pills as he liked any time he wanted them. Parcells told a new doctor he did not like doctors and did not want to hear about injuries.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

I drink brake fluid, but I can stop whenever I want.

Sorry couldn't resist.

On 1/20/2024 at 10:04 PM, colts89 said:

but he has to give up those responsibilities to his daughter if he's been making any decisions under the influence.

im not sure he’s making many decisions. He may be have a drug issue, but he’s not dumb. His daughters have been heavily involved, even representing the team in various capacities at nfl meetings. 

He granted Ballard full control over the hiring process last offseason, so there is no mistaking or debating who was responsible for the hiring of Shane Steichen. The only decision that is apparent that he made was the firing of Frank Reich and hiring of Jeff Saturday, and it’s hard to argue it didn’t lead to a successful offseason transition, which it was intended for. We can even debate if Saturday didn’t establish a new identity/culture of accountability in his short time here. Offensive line flipped a switch at the end of last season and played pretty dang good this season. 

im not worried about Irsay’s involvement. He owns the team, he has a capable team (including his daughters and longstanding executives like Pete Ward) in place to continue operations without him being involved. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

Bill Romanowski said he had twenty documented concussion and late in his career he stated he was eating as many as 150 pills per day!! So I ask where was he getting all those pills? Dr. Feel Good? 

Guess that explains why he was a complete lunatic lol. 

9 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Bill Romanowski said he had twenty documented concussion and late in his career he stated he was eating as many as 150 pills per day!! So I ask where was he getting all those pills? Dr. Feel Good? 

Painkillers are vastly overprescribed. I once received an addiction-inducing amount by a urologist after I had a kidney stone. I took maybe two and disposed of the remainder, as they weren't needed. The next urologist I went to gave me one on my next encounter... One. 

Some doctors are just out of their minds when it comes to overprescribing pain medication. 

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Painkillers are vastly overprescribed. I once received an addiction-inducing amount by a urologist after I had a kidney stone. I took maybe two and disposed of the remainder, as they weren't needed. The next urologist I went to gave me one on my next encounter... One. 

Some doctors are just out of their minds when it comes to overprescribing pain medication. 

Go watch Painkiller on Netflix. There is a reason they are overprescribing them, and it is disgusting. The US healthcare system is disgusting and frankly we should all be ashamed of ourselves for letting it get to this state.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

Go watch Painkiller on Netflix. There is a reason they are overprescribing them, and it is disgusting. The US healthcare system is disgusting and frankly we should all be ashamed of ourselves for letting it get to this state.

Have seen it. My wife is a medical provider, and has strong feelings on the state of healthcare. There are a lot of suits and not enough white coats. 

St. Vincent Indianapolis is now controlled in St. Louis. There are bean counters in Missouri telling the doctors in Indiana how to practice medicine.

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Have seen it. My wife is a medical provider, and has strong feelings on the state of healthcare. There are a lot of suits and not enough white coats. 

St. Vincent Indianapolis is now controlled in St. Louis. There are bean counters in Missouri telling the doctors in Indiana how to practice medicine.

Yeah the insurance companies telling doctors how to practice medicine in particular is just pure insanity.

I live in the UK (I have dual nationality) and you can say the NHS is flawed (which is it), but id take this slow flawed machine over the US system 100/100 times.

• Like 2

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I think he’s saying Alzado and Romanowski were teammates.  

Romo was Romanowskis nickname.  He and Alzedo were never teammates.   Alzedo was out of the league when Romo was drafted

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Yeah the insurance companies telling doctors how to practice medicine in particular is just pure insanity.

I live in the UK (I have dual nationality) and you can say the NHS is flawed (which is it), but id take this slow flawed machine over the US system 100/100 times.

Insurance makes the world go round. 

If insurance fails, then the dominos fall. The U.S monetary system (and a great chunk of the global system) is entirely built around a type of trust in the dollar, which is backed by the US government, which is insured, hence the insurance makes the world go round. Healthcare insurance, in my opinion, will never be "solved" in this country. The entire system is now at their mercy, and if the government tries to socialize medicine, it would fail entirely before anything new would be built. We cannot even perceive how devastating that would be. 

But I digress, because I don't disagree. When a licensed practitioner cannot authorize a certain exam because there are steps that insurance requires leading up to that exam, it's a real problem. To make matters worse, the backlog (especially after Covid shutdowns) of even getting into a physician, especially in specialty, causes even more issues with the said necessary steps, just to schedule an exam deemed necessary by a practitioner. In short, it's a mess. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

But I digress, because I don't disagree. When a licensed practitioner cannot authorize a certain exam because there are steps that insurance requires leading up to that exam, it's a real problem.

This is so true. I was forced to have a CT scan simply because I hadn't had one in 6 months to prove that I needed another injection that was just approved 4 months earlier (if I needed it then why put me through the extra radiation just to know that if anything it had gotten worse ). 

As somebody mentioned earlier about kidney stones I was prescribed more pain meds for those then I was for a shattered leg. 

I hate taking meds but I'm 44 and if I don't have one in the morning I tend to walk like Jim does. I can live without the pain meds but I can't have any type of a life as I'd be in bed all day. 

I do wish Jim the best and for a healthy recovery, but just because a medicine was administered doesn't mean that it was needed. I was not there so I do not know but simply because someone has a past doesn't meant its the same in the present or future. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 10:04 PM, colts89 said:

He has a close family who knows his history and could easily keep a close eye on him, along with an ungodly amount of money to obtain the best rehab around along with being able to hire people to protect him from his own vices. Dude can barely walk and is appears that he's still abusing hardcore drugs as almost a 70 year old because he wants to larp like a rock star. It's a lot easier for him to stop then almost every human alive. I used to defend him as an owner, but he has to give up those responsibilities to his daughter if he's been making any decisions under the influence.

What are you talking about? If it only took money to beat addiction there would be plenty movie stars and musicians still living today. Addiction isn't something that is easy for any person to just pay or say I quit! It's clear that you have not witnessed this in person or you plainly believe since it hasn't happen to you it shouldn't happen to anyone! Mental health or Injury is normally the start of any addiction! Hopefully neither happens to you or anybody you love.  I have witnessed first hand with friends and family members and money didnt solve any of it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i thought he had a respiratory illness, why does people think it was drugs

Great question. It turned from a respiratory problem to a drug problem. If he was in rehab, we would have known it by now. TMZ would have let us know a week ago as they seem to have a camera up everyone's butt Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i thought he had a respiratory illness, why does people think it was drugs

It's speculative based on the report that Carmel police gave. 

It was listed by the authorities (not the media) that it was suspected overdose. He responded "slightly" to narcan, and was turning blue upon their arrival. No mention of drugs used, just speculated by authorities. 

Of course the Colts are going to state it was respiratory illness. If there is no definitive proof (aside from what most certainly will not be released to the media by any doctors that cared for him following the event), then they can control the narrative. The media ran with the "suspected overdose" line big time, and created their own narrative that the Colts were just doing damage control. 

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It's speculative based on the report that Carmel police gave. 

It was listed by the authorities (not the media) that it was suspected overdose. He responded "slightly" to narcan, and was turning blue upon their arrival. No mention of drugs used, just speculated by authorities. 

Of course the Colts are going to state it was respiratory illness. If there is no definitive proof (aside from what most certainly will not be released to the media by any doctors that cared for him following the event), then they can control the narrative. The media ran with the "suspected overdose" line big time, and created their own narrative that the Colts were just doing damage control. 

🤷‍♂️

The thing with Narcan, as someone who has used it to save drug addicts, there’s really no “slightly”. It either works or it doesn’t. It can raise pulse rate so maybe that’s why they say “slightly”. Not sure honestly why the report says “slightly”. Not saying they’re wrong, reports aren’t typically supposed to be left to interpretation like that. Makes me wonder exactly what the response was(my department, we had to describe the response in detail)

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

The thing with Narcan, as someone who has used it to save drug addicts, there’s really no “slightly”. It either works or it doesn’t. It can raise pulse rate so maybe that’s why they say “slightly”. Not sure honestly why the report says “slightly”. Not saying they’re wrong, reports aren’t typically supposed to be left to interpretation like that. Makes me wonder exactly what the response was(my department, we had to describe the response in detail)

It said he was unresponsive and had a weak pulse when they arrived, so I would assume both in pulse rate and any sort of response could be interpreted that way. 

It’s a pretty vague report… 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:19 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

Insurance makes the world go round. 

If insurance fails, then the dominos fall. The U.S monetary system (and a great chunk of the global system) is entirely built around a type of trust in the dollar, which is backed by the US government, which is insured, hence the insurance makes the world go round. Healthcare insurance, in my opinion, will never be "solved" in this country. The entire system is now at their mercy, and if the government tries to socialize medicine, it would fail entirely before anything new would be built. We cannot even perceive how devastating that would be. 

But I digress, because I don't disagree. When a licensed practitioner cannot authorize a certain exam because there are steps that insurance requires leading up to that exam, it's a real problem. To make matters worse, the backlog (especially after Covid shutdowns) of even getting into a physician, especially in specialty, causes even more issues with the said necessary steps, just to schedule an exam deemed necessary by a practitioner. In short, it's a mess. 

There’s plenty of other types of insurance to sell. They would do just fine. 

8 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

There’s plenty of other types of insurance to sell. They would do just fine. 

Who would do just fine? Insurance companies? lol…

I’m sure you’re right… it’s just $1.6 trillion annually. 

I guess they could sell property insurance in Florida to make up the difference… oh wait. 

The latest Covid variant J1 is really strong and tough to shake. I took all vaccines and booster shots and I still got it. Its taking over 10 days to get over it. Thats even with taking Paxlovoid (5 days). If Irsay got this variant, my thoughts and prayers are with Jim. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AustexColt said:

The latest Covid variant J1 is really strong and tough to shake. I took all vaccines and booster shots and I still got it. Its taking over 10 days to get over it. Thats even with taking Paxlovoid (5 days). If Irsay got this variant, my thoughts and prayers are with Jim. 

I couldn’t shake the cough for about three weeks. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2024/01/25/colts-owner-jim-irsay-possibly-had-congestive-hearth-failure-911-call-pete-ward/72354275007/

Sounds like it was called into 911 as a heart failure. O2 was in the 70s so it's possible. Would explain his bluish color as well. No definite answers here, but we know one of two things for sure. Either his blood wasn't circulating well enough to provide oxygen to the body, or there wasn't enough oxygen entering the lungs.

• Like 3