Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay ill

27 minutes ago, KB said:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2024/01/25/colts-owner-jim-irsay-possibly-had-congestive-hearth-failure-911-call-pete-ward/72354275007/

Sounds like it was called into 911 as a heart failure. O2 was in the 70s so it's possible. Would explain his bluish color as well. No definite answers here, but we know one of two things for sure. Either his blood wasn't circulating well enough to provide oxygen to the body, or there wasn't enough oxygen entering the lungs.

Yeah. I really hope that there were no drugs involved, and that he sues the ever-living % out of the Carmel police for a false report suspecting drug overdose. If this made national news for a health issue that wasn't reported correctly, there needs to be accountability.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, AustexColt said:

The latest Covid variant J1 is really strong and tough to shake. I took all vaccines and booster shots and I still got it. Its taking over 10 days to get over it. Thats even with taking Paxlovoid (5 days). If Irsay got this variant, my thoughts and prayers are with Jim. 

hope you make a full recovery

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Yeah. I really hope that there were no drugs involved, and that he sues the ever-living % out of the Carmel police for a false report suspecting drug overdose. If this made national news for a health issue that wasn't reported correctly, there needs to be accountability.

We need to stop. The Carmel police did the right thing. They had a man with a history of addiction and  was showing signs of a drug overdose and administered narcan. That was the correct thing because it won’t hurt him if it’s something else. If they hadn’t done that then they would have been neglectful.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We need to stop. The Carmel police did the right thing. They had a man with a history of addiction and  was showing signs of a drug overdose and administered narcan. That was the correct thing because it won’t hurt him if it’s something else. If they hadn’t done that then they would have been neglectful.  

Speak for yourself Chloe.

How did they know he had a history of addiction? For the same reason they should have known that filing their report that way would be a media's dream for clicks/engagement? If they speculated it was a drug overdose because of who he was and for no other reason, then their report is a bigger issue than I am making it... especially when the 911 call mentioned a different health cause (maybe he has congestive heart failure and has been recently under a doctor's supervision for it, did you think that might be a real possibility?) 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What are you basing any of that on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I hope he has grounds to prove retaliation from his criticism of the department before.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Speak for yourself Chloe.

How did they know he had a history of addiction? For the same reason they should have known that filing their report that way would be a media's dream for clicks/engagement? If they speculated it was a drug overdose because of who he was and for no other reason, then their report is a bigger issue than I am making it... especially when the 911 call mentioned a different health cause (maybe he has congestive heart failure and has been recently under a doctor's supervision for it, did you think that might be a real possibility?) 

His addiction issues are well known. For pears sake he got arrested for a DUI years back. The police did the right thing when they arrived on the scene. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Indy and Indiana I would guess are the only parts of the country enamored with the drug overdose suspicion.  I don’t see where the police definitely reported a drug overdose.  As far as I understand they were just taking precautions in case there was one.  They would do that for anyone with his symptoms.  For all I know he could have had a heart attack.  We really don’t know anything.  It’s been a long time since this happened and I haven’t seen any updates one way or the other.   This is not a story in other parts of the country.  It has gone away since the original report.  Hard to imagine the tabloids would not be all over this with him being an NFL owner.  Seems like an unfortunate circumstance involving his other personal health issues.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

His addiction issues are well known. For pears sake he got arrested for a DUI years back. The police did the right thing when they arrived on the scene. 

So if they assumed it was a drug overdose and it was actually cardiac arrest and they killed him,  would that be the right thing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Saying the Carmel police need to be sued is out of line. They did the right thing when on the scene. 

“out of line.” 

lol. Hardly. 

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So they can assume he overdosed without any mention of medication, and the caller specifically stating they thought he was having congestive heart failure… you know from years of drug abuse. I’m not the one that reported a medical emergency being “suspected drug overdose” leading to every news organization in America putting that on their headlines. 

all I said was that I hope drugs weren’t involved, and if so…

and it would be able to substantiated as he no doubt had a blood draw through whoever ended up caring for him. 

unfortunately after researching some, police are pretty well protected on reporting and defamation claims. No surprise there. 

• Like 1

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

“out of line.” 

lol. Hardly. 

So they can assume he overdosed without any mention of medication, and the caller specifically stating they thought he was having congestive heart failure… you know from years of drug abuse. I’m not the one that reported a medical emergency being “suspected drug overdose” leading to every news organization in America putting that on their headlines. 

and it would be able to substantiated as he no doubt had a blood draw through whoever ended up caring for him. 

unfortunately after researching some, police are pretty well protected on reporting and defamation claims. No surprise there. 

Most  don't have irsays lawyers unfortunately 

• Like 1

I can’t even put any blame on a news agency for reporting the news, and the news was from the Carmel police department. They reported something that could legitimately be incorrect, and it was undoubtedly damaging to both Mr. Irsay and the Indianapolis Colts reputation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

that’s true. Good attorneys backed by deep pockets can put pressure on anyone… 

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I can’t even put any blame on a news agency for reporting the news, and the news was from the Carmel police department. They reported something that could legitimately be incorrect, and it was undoubtedly damaging to both Mr. Irsay and the Indianapolis Colts reputation. 

I miss the old days when reporters had facts before reporting things. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

I miss the old days when reporters had facts before reporting things. 

well that was back when news wasn’t meant for clicks and engagement. The majority of crap that gets the most engagement on the web would be buried in an old newspaper, if it even made it (like you referred to). 

• Like 2

I heard the end of interview with Mike Chappell on JMV’s show.  Mike has covered the Colts since 1984 and no one in the local media knows Irsay better than him.  Mike is the guy Irsay will call when he wants to talk.  

some of the things that came out of the interview.

Mike all but said the drug relapse reports are true.  Mike isn’t the kind of person to say that unless he knows.  To give you an idea later in the interview JMV tried to get it out of Chappell if Freeney or Wayne made the Hall of Fame, Mike is part of the group to pick them so he knows, he wouldn’t give him any information and went out of his way to say I don’t want to lie on air but I’ve been sworn not to tell.  Chappell is maybe the most honest Colts reporter there is.

JMV really pressed Chappell on if from here on out Carlie Irsay is going to call the shots.  Chappell didn’t say JMV was wrong and seemed to agree with him but he never came out and said it.  He said Jim is very stubborn and has come back from things worse than this.

He said there is a plan in place for the daughters to take over the team from Jim and has been for a while when the time comes and stressed when the time comes.  He also pointed out all three daughters named Owners in 2012.  He said Carlie is the one who has been tabbed to be in charge but all three daughters are owners and get along.

He said right now there isn’t much for Owners to do.  He said this is really Ballard’s time with his staff to evaluate the roster.  He said that will change when they start handing out money.  He also stressed the vast majority of the time Irsay gets out of the way and lets his football people call the shots with a few notable exceptions.  He seemed to suggest Irsay being gone for a while won’t be a major impact and will impact the other things he does more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I heard the end of interview with Mike Chappell on JMV’s show.  Mike has covered the Colts since 1984 and no one in the local media knows Irsay better than him.  Mike is the guy Irsay will call when he wants to talk.  

some of the things that came out of the interview.

Mike all but said the drug relapse reports are true.  Mike isn’t the kind of person to say that unless he knows.  To give you an idea later in the interview JMV tried to get it out of Chappell if Freeney or Wayne made the Hall of Fame, Mike is part of the group to pick them so he knows, he wouldn’t give him any information and went out of his way to say I don’t want to lie on air but I’ve been sworn not to tell.  Chappell is maybe the most honest Colts reporter there is.

JMV really pressed Chappell on if from here on out Carlie Irsay is going to call the shots.  Chappell didn’t say JMV was wrong and seemed to agree with him but he never came out and said it.  He said Jim is very stubborn and has come back from things worse than this.

He said there is a plan in place for the daughters to take over the team from Jim and has been for a while when the time comes and stressed when the time comes.  He also pointed out all three daughters named Owners in 2012.  He said Carlie is the one who has been tabbed to be in charge but all three daughters are owners and get along.

He said right now there isn’t much for Owners to do.  He said this is really Ballard’s time with his staff to evaluate the roster.  He said that will change when they start handing out money.  He also stressed the vast majority of the time Irsay gets out of the way and lets his football people call the shots with a few notable exceptions.  He seemed to suggest Irsay being gone for a while won’t be a major impact and will impact the other things he does more.

Thanks for that. Here is the interview. Starts right at the beginning.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ride-with-jmv-podcast/id1217975448?i=1000642976406

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Thanks for that. Here is the interview. Starts right at the beginning.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-ride-with-jmv-podcast/id1217975448?i=1000642976406

Yeah I know JMV isn’t your favorite but this was a really good interview and probably the best most concrete information we’ve gotten on Jim since this all went down.  To me Mike Chappell is the Colts authority.  He knows and doesn’t say it unless he knows.

• Like 2

Just read an article on Yahoo that was from Indy , I think, that said Pete Ward called 911 when he arrived at the house to pick him up.  He found him partially unresponsive and thought he was having a heart attack.  The article mentioned that Irsay’s nurse was also there.  I didn’t know that.  He apparently was receiving oxygen  at home according to the article.  Looks like he was receiving nursing care at home as well.  The nurse possibly was there all night.  Considering his previous addiction issues it’s easy to see where those issues could jeopardize his future health with other problems.  Hope he gets better soon.

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read an article on Yahoo that was from Indy , I think, that said Pete Ward called 911 when he arrived at the house to pick him up.  He found him partially unresponsive and thought he was having a heart attack.  The article mentioned that Irsay’s nurse was also there.  I didn’t know that.  He apparently was receiving oxygen  at home according to the article.  Looks like he was receiving nursing care at home as well.  The nurse possibly was there all night.  Considering his previous addiction issues it’s easy to see where those issues could jeopardize his future health with other problems.  Hope he gets better soon.

The article is above. Ward also wasn’t there. He was in his car when he made the call.

Indianapolis Colts/Jim Irsay and Daughters has a contract with the Capital Improvement Board and the City who runs Lucas Oil Stadium up through 2037. The only way the contract can be voided is if the Colts aren't in the top 5 in operating revenues after the season of 2030. If the Colts decided to move, the earliest they could do it is after the 2030 season if they aren't in the top 5 in operating revenues. I know this to be 100% factual because my friend Brent, his sister is good friends with Carlie and Brent's dad is a lawyer. I have also read up on the contract myself. So, at worse we here for 7 more seasons before anyone can do anything. Hopefully by then, we are a top 5 again consistently because the actual contract runs through 2037.

I posted this just in case anyone is afraid we could move the team if something happens to Jim. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Indianapolis Colts/Jim Irsay and Daughters has a contract with the Capital Improvement Board and the City who runs Lucas Oil Stadium up through 2037. The only way the contract can be voided is if the Colts aren't in the top 5 in operating revenues after the season of 2030. If the Colts decided to move, the earliest they could do it is after the 2030 season if they aren't in the top 5 in operating revenues. I know this to be 100% factual because my friend Brent, his sister is good friends with Carlie and Brent's dad is a lawyer. I have also read up on the contract myself. So, at worse we here for 7 more seasons before anyone can do anything. Hopefully by then, we are a top 5 again consistently because the actual contract runs through 2037.

I posted this just in case anyone is afraid we could move the team if something happens to Jim. 

Someone needs to send all this to Kent sterling lol. The guy has been off the wall about them having to sell.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something Mike Chappell said was comforting. They made plans in 2012 and put his girls as owners. So all the speculating they wouldn’t be able to afford the inheritance tax and would have to sell was all nonsense.

Worth noting Jim went through that when his dad died along with a brief court fight with his step mother related to the Colts Ownership.  My guess is Jim, once again learned from his past, and set things up for his daughters.  I caught that too and put it in my first post because I had the same thought and this pretty much shuts that down.  Jim has made plans to insure his daughters are setup to be successful owners.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Someone needs to send all this to Kent sterling lol. The guy has been off the wall about them having to sell.

There is a better way to deal with Kent Sterling.  Ignore everyone that comes out of his mouth.  The next time he reports something worthwhile will be his first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sounds like he doesn't know what he is talking about. I talked to my friend Brent about this and his dad, because the team brings in a ton of money, we are stuck with them until at least 2030 lmao . That is why cities do long term deals with teams, they don't want to lose that investment. The only out the Colts have is in 2030 like I explained above, otherwise the contract is good through 2037. 

12 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The Colts are definitely not in the top 5. I don’t see them going anywhere but it will most likely cause negotiations to open up early. 

After 2030 is the earliest anything can happen - that is 7 years from now. By then we may be top 5 again like when we had Peyton. 

13 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

The Colts are definitely not in the top 5. I don’t see them going anywhere but it will most likely cause negotiations to open up early. 

That’s fine but the city isn’t letting a pro football team get away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

So if they assumed it was a drug overdose and it was actually cardiac arrest and they killed him,  would that be the right thing?

5 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If someone is found unresponsive, standard operating procedure in most places is to administer narcan as soon as they get on the scene. If it was an OD, narcan will usually help, if it's not an OD, nothing happens and they just keep on with the rest of their procedures.

If I'm remembering correctly, what was pulled from the police report was just that Irsay was found unresponsive and narcan was administered, which local media jumped to the conclusion of a possible OD and ran with it.

Based on the info about a nurse at his home giving him oxygen treatments and the low blood oxygen saturation level, it definitely sounds like a severe respiratory illness like covid, especially with him being a high risk individual. Here's hoping the OD news from Chap is wrong, but I feel like we'll get some concrete info in the coming weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something Mike Chappell said was comforting. They made plans in 2012 and put his girls as owners. So all the speculating they wouldn’t be able to afford the inheritance tax and would have to sell was all nonsense.

its not nonsense. If his girls weren’t transferred a significant ownership stake and he handled (or is in the process of handling) that portion of estate tax, then they are going to be faced with a massive tax bill. Massive. Colts are valued by Forbes at over $4 billion. He was offered a billion for his museum alone, reportedly. 

7 minutes ago, Shive said:

If I'm remembering correctly, what was pulled from the police report was just that Irsay was found unresponsive and narcan was administered, which local media jumped to the conclusion of a possible OD and ran with

nope. Carmel police specifically listed the call as overdose… 

media would not rush to that conclusion with such little information. They literally reported what the Carmel police report said. With quotes from the officers on scene, one saying “At this time, it is unknown what Mr. Irsay had ingested prior to our arrival.”

the officer that administered narcan said he responded “slightly” to it. Which means nothing, only what he is interpreting as a slight response. 

seems like a bogus report of an overdose to me, and more like an actual health emergency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

and set things up for his daughters.  I caught that too and put it in my first post because I had the same thought and this pretty much shuts that down.  Jim has made plans to insure his daughters are setup to be successful owners

Do you think they have $2 billion cash? 

they might have made them owners just for the ability to have a smooth transition when he dies… until the tax bill comes in which may require significant funding and/or selling some/all of the organization to pay. 

its like family farms and small family corporations on a larger scale. They keep disappearing because once grandpa dies, it’s just a lot easier to sell to the private equity firms or large corporations that are lurking in the shadows, than to deal with the nightmare that is death taxes. 

you can plan all you want; but it’s hard to plan for a business that keeps growing in value 15-20% annually. It isn’t going to stop. 

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Do you think they have $2 billion cash? 

they might have made them owners just for the ability to have a smooth transition when he dies… until the tax bill comes in which may require significant funding and/or selling some/all of the organization to pay. 

its like family farms and small family corporations on a larger scale. They keep disappearing because once grandpa dies, it’s just a lot easier to sell to the private equity firms or large corporations that are lurking in the shadows, than to deal with the nightmare that is death taxes. 

you can plan all you want; but it’s hard to plan for a business that keeps growing in value 15-20% annually. It isn’t going to stop. 

I would be surprised if Irsay’s ownership wasn't technically in a trust with him as trustee. Wealthy people use trusts to pass along assets without incurring inheritance taxes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shive said:

I would be surprised if Irsay’s ownership wasn't technically in a trust with him as trustee. Wealthy people use trusts to pass along assets without incurring inheritance taxes.

I don’t know if this is the case or not but if people on a message board are thinking of this odds are Irsay and his team, lawyers, financial advisors, etc have thought of this as well.  Like Chap said today.  There was a plan put in place in 2012.  Odds are these things are all part of that plan.  

• Like 1