Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So Who We Going To Ride For As Backup For AR Next Season

Boss7894

With Minshew going elsewhere (if Irsay didn’t like Wentz he certainly not going to like Minshew) and the hate he got here… are we going to stick with Mr. Ehlinger as backup and maybe he’ll have his time to step up to see what he can do? Who do we get?

After what I saw in 2023, if Richardson averages 13 starts over the next 3 years, I would take it.  If you're going to play this style with this QB, you need a backup who can give you 4 games a year.  Minshew is not a starter, but he's that guy.  He can keep you competitive in those 4 games.

After seeing Richardson get knocked out of almost every game he played, I honestly think they need to keep swinging at some level at QB, but they probably won't. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think Minshew stays unless he wants to go, Wentz was acquired for a lot of draft capital and with a huge contract to start and win. Gardener cost zero draft capital and came cheap as a #2 who could fill in if AR was injured or struggled badly. 

If someone offers Gardner a starting spot he will bolt but dont honestly seeing any club thinking he is their starter so dont think we need to worry.

• Like 5

Minshew was so inconsistent in his play and missed open receivers often..

That being said, he still is one of the best back up QBs in the league. Colts are going to need a good backup. I wouldn’t be surprised if we only get half a season season out of Richardson consistently.

A lot of people get upset when I say that but let’s see how next year goes. If Richardson plays in more than 10 games, I’ll say I was wrong.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bravo said:

That being said, he still is one of the best back up QBs in the league. Colts are going to need a good backup. I wouldn’t be surprised if we only get half a season season out of Richardson consistently.

A lot of people get upset when I say that but let’s see how next year goes. If Richardson plays in more than 10 games, I’ll say I was wrong.

Wrong or not, but if AR is only playing half the season going forward he will be viewed as a spectacular failure.  He’ll be traded for pennies after his 3rd or 4th season, Ballard will be fired, and the franchise will be in shambles….  

So….   I’m hoping you’re wrong.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Boss7894 said:

With Minshew going elsewhere (if Irsay didn’t like Wentz he certainly not going to like Minshew) and the hate he got here… are we going to stick with Mr. Ehlinger as backup and maybe he’ll have his time to step up to see what he can do? Who do we get?

So far every person who has responded to your post thinks you’ve misinterpreted or misunderstood the situations with the two quarterbacks.   There is no comparing Minshew with Wentz.   Completely different.   

One was brought in to be the long term franchise quarterback.   The other was brought in to be the backup and play a handful if games.   He played most of the season and almost made the playoffs.  

Night and day different.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wrong or not, but if AR is only playing half the season going forward he will be viewed as a spectacular failure.  He’ll be traded for pennies after his 3rd or 4th season, Ballard will be fired, and the franchise will be in shambles….  

So….   I’m hoping you’re wrong.  

Me too.

I really thought AR played better than expected when he started. His accuracy was actually not the issue I believed it would be. Colts football was fun to watch again and our red zone offense felt unstoppable.

Wish he had JT in the backfield with him.

• Like 1

Maybe we should be talking about finding value in a 3rd QB to replace Ehlinger? I wonder if a later round QB is in their draft plans, it should be, IMO, for grooming a future backup. With all the QB injuries happening, no team is safe with 2 QBs on the roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bravo said:

sorry but i would take browning over minshew any day...hes the better back up in my op

• Like 2

If we don't keep Minshew, I'd love to bring in Tyrod Taylor. Great veteran presence, has starting experience and can steady the ship if need be, and is more in the mold of AR than Minshew so there wouldn't be as much of a schematic shift if he's needed.

• Like 5

Keep Minshew.  We aren’t getting anyone better unless we pay for another former starter, and he was capable of getting us one play away from the postseason with a roster that has some gaping holes and many players lost for the year before the year even started.  Can’t really ask for more.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2024 at 11:16 AM, #12. said:

After what I saw in 2023, if Richardson averages 13 starts over the next 3 years, I would take it.  If you're going to play this style with this QB, you need a backup who can give you 4 games a year.  Minshew is not a starter, but he's that guy.  He can keep you competitive in those 4 games.

After seeing Richardson get knocked out of almost every game he played, I honestly think they need to keep swinging at some level at QB, but they probably won't. 

i hope not rg3 all over again

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 11:29 AM, chad72 said:

Maybe we should be talking about finding value in a 3rd QB to replace Ehlinger? I wonder if a later round QB is in their draft plans, it should be, IMO, for grooming a future backup. With all the QB injuries happening, no team is safe with 2 QBs on the roster.

I just don’t understand wanting to spend a draft pick on a backup.   You can get a Sumerian to step in and do a much better job because they’re ready to play.  

A young quarterback rarely steps in ready to play early in his career.  

A QB3 gets zero reps in practice.  They have to stay late to get some work in.   And a QB2 typically gets roughly 5-15 percent of snaps depending on how much the QB1 wants to take. 

Id almost always go with a veteran.   Guys like Brock Purdy are incredibly rare.   Roughly 25 years between him and Brady. 

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just don’t understand wanting to spend a draft pick on a backup.   You can get a Sumerian to step in and do a much better job because they’re ready to play.  

A young quarterback rarely steps in ready to play early in his career.  

A QB3 gets zero reps in practice.  They have to stay late to get some work in.   And a QB2 typically gets roughly 5-15 percent of snaps depending on how much the QB1 wants to take. 

Id almost always go with a veteran.   Guys like Brock Purdy are incredibly rare.   Roughly 25 years between him and Brady. 

The draft pick will only be to replace Ehlinger as QB3 if they don't like what Ehlinger brings to the table. No need to have an experienced guy at QB3.

For QB2, what you say is absolutely relevant and a must, having a vet with experience. In order to not dramatically alter the playbook for a different vet, I floated around the idea of bringing in a vet like Joshua Dobbs (in a different thread) that would be able to execute the same things as AR albeit at a less dynamic level compared to AR. That is, if the idea is to replace Minshew at QB2.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Someone mentioned bringing Jacoby back.  I think he and AR are more similar in style so SS wouldn’t have to change the gameplan as much as with any other backup out there?

Just a thought…?

At least he can throw downfield. He looked really good the little he played in WA.

Just now, chad72 said:

The draft pick will only be to replace Ehlinger as QB3 if they don't like what Ehlinger brings to the table. No need to have an experienced guy at QB3.

For QB2, what you say is absolutely relevant and a must, having a vet with experience. In order to not dramatically alter the playbook for a different vet, I floated around the idea of bringing in a vet like Joshua Dobbs that would be able to execute the same things as AR albeit at a less dynamic level compared to AR. That is, if the idea is to replace Minshew at QB2.

Then just keep Sam. He has been here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

At least he can throw downfield. He looked really good the little he played in WA.

Then just keep Sam. He has been here.

Been here doesn't matter to me if he can't execute Steichen's playbook at a good level or if we need to pay him vet minimum eventually, which is $915K per year, so essentially about $1 million a year. Not sure what the vet min. criteria is. At some point, Ehlinger's rookie contract will be over in 2024, that is what I am having in mind. Maybe they will give thought to that in 2025.

• Like 1

Personally - I didn't see "enough" from Minshew to want him to return as the backup to Anthony Richardson.  

Inconsistency was a problem all season long from Minshew.

IF Jake Browning is a free agent this year - I'd LOVE to have the Colts sign him to be the backup.  He was extremely good for the Bengals following Joe Burrow's injury.  Enough so - that I picked him up for my fantasy football team!!

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Do you remember how Brissett plays? His NFL draft profile said that though he has the arm, he is hesitant to push the ball down the field. He showed the same tendencies in 2019 when we had him play the entire season. I am not sure if he has changed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Been here doesn't matter to me if he can't execute Steichen's playbook at a good level or if we need to pay him vet minimum eventually, which is $915K per year, so essentially about $1 million a year. Not sure what the vet min. criteria is. At some point, Ehlinger's rookie contract will be over in 2024, that is what I am having in mind. Maybe they will give thought to that in 2025.

Well he hasn’t played. That will come down to what Steichen thinks about him. I wish media would have asked Steichen about him.  I am still intrigued what he would look like in a Steichen offense.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Do you remember how Brissett plays? His NFL draft profile said that though he has the arm, he is hesitant to push the ball down the field. He showed the same tendencies in 2019 when we had him play the entire season. I am not sure if he has changed.

I just know he looked good and won games as a brown. Then the little bit he played in WA they put points on the board.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The hesitancy I have with Minshew is him not being able to push it down field and take advantage of our weapons. A good backup should still be able to throw downfield.

Maybe the Titans release Ryan Tannehill, who knows?? Unless it is a good vet with experience, I doubt Minshew is going anywhere because Steichen believes in continuity and seems like a loyal person to those who have been with him for a while.

2 minutes ago, KB said:

Say one of the upper ranked qb prospects ends up falling and makes it to us in rd 2. Do we take a chance on them as the backup?

NO!!!

If the AR injuries become a recurring issue, you address it in 2025 or 2026 if necessary, IMO. Too early to go all in on a Plan B. Then you have 2 QBs like RG3 and Kirk Cousins and no continuity for either to establish chemistry with their teammates with each taking reps away from the other during the season.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 2:34 PM, sb41champs said:

Personally - I didn't see "enough" from Minshew to want him to return as the backup to Anthony Richardson.  

Inconsistency was a problem all season long from Minshew.

IF Jake Browning is a free agent this year - I'd LOVE to have the Colts sign him to be the backup.  He was extremely good for the Bengals following Joe Burrow's injury.  Enough so - that I picked him up for my fantasy football team!!

Yes except Minshew knows Shane’s system and Browning does not.  He has been in the Bengals system for a few years.  No reason to believe he would be better than Minshew with Steichen.

i will say though that Ballard didn’t give me a lot of confidence that Minshew is a priority for him. 

On 1/10/2024 at 3:29 PM, chad72 said:

For QB2, what you say is absolutely relevant and a must, having a vet with experience. In order to not dramatically alter the playbook for a different vet, I floated around the idea of bringing in a vet like Joshua Dobbs (in a different thread) that would be able to execute the same things as AR albeit at a less dynamic level compared to AR. That is, if the idea is to replace Minshew at QB2.

I suspect this is the path the Colts travel. A new vet backup and a late round rookie to groom and be the #3 for now. I think Minshew will seek a starting opportunity and he  might just get a shot.