Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sudden Death Cage Match: Colts vs. Texans *Saturday 8:15pm (MERGE)

RollerColt

22 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

Yep, finally a VERY meaningful game between the two of us. I think the last game with stakes like this was our playoff game where Andrew torched us for 222 and three touchdowns. Good to be playing for something again! May the best team win 😤

Yep, it is for all the marbles for 2023. Should be interesting. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Myles said:

If AR was healthy, I don't think the Colts would be fighting for a playoff spot.  

Have to disagree here. IMO, AR would likely have made the Colts win more games - like Stroud has done for the Texans. 
Remember the Colts were up 14-0 vs the Stroud led Texans because of AR’s running and throwing ablity. 
Then he got hurt and the Texans almost came back in that game.

AR would have ups and downs but his ability would have expanded the offense even more leading to more heights than lows under the tutelage of Steichen.

If one has watched the Colts this season there is no denying Minshew has done an admirable job. His lack of pocket presence/navigating the pocket when pressure comes and frequent erratic decisions combined with his lack of playmaking ability compared to what we saw from AR, make a lot of Colts fans think they would have been even better with AR.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, James said:

Have to disagree here. IMO, AR would likely have made the Colts win more games - like Stroud has done for the Texans. 
Remember the Colts were up 14-0 vs the Stroud led Texans because of AR’s running and throwing ablity. 
Then he got hurt and the Texans almost came back in that game.

AR would have ups and downs but his ability would have expanded the offense even more leading to more heights than lows under the tutelage of Steichen.

If one has watched the Colts this season there is no denying Minshew has done an admirable job. His lack of pocket presence/navigating the pocket when pressure comes and frequent erratic decisions combined with his lack of playmaking ability compared to what we saw from AR, make a lot of Colts fans think they would have been even better with AR.

I agree AR is more dynamic  and can stretch the field better

Ya I’m not confident at all. The lows of the team is just so low I wouldn’t be surprised if we get beat handily. And even if we don’t play bad, I think the Texans are the better team. Luckily, what I think doesn’t matter. We’ll find out Saturday.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I agree AR is more dynamic  and can stretch the field better

Not being funny but, How would you come to that conclusion. I think I saw AR take about 10 snaps this seasons and Stroud looks legit. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Not being funny but, How would you come to that conclusion. I think I saw AR take about 10 snaps this seasons and Stroud looks legit. 

I think it's pretty obvious that AR is more dynamic than Minshew even with a small sample size. I don't think anyone was comparing AR vs Stroud. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BigQ said:

I think it's pretty obvious that AR is more dynamic than Minshew even with a small sample size. I don't think anyone was comparing AR vs Stroud. 

In our first meeting AR was outplaying Stroud before he went out, many forget that for some reason, and we won the game easily even with Minshew playing the whole 2nd half. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Hopefully Taylor is okay and Kenny is back. Noticed Taylor was rubbing his neck a lot at the end of the game. It also seems like Houston’s firepower has really dropped since losing Tank. 

We ALL need to root for Tennessee next week. 

titans could win with tannyhill at qb 

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Ya I’m not confident at all. The lows of the team is just so low I wouldn’t be surprised if we get beat handily. And even if we don’t play bad, I think the Texans are the better team. Luckily, what I think doesn’t matter. We’ll find out Saturday.

Offensively, at least, I think the Colts have shown over the course of the season that even with the injuries that they are well coached, schemed enough to get themselves into some opportunities to put points on the board. Currently we are 10th in the league in PPG.  Plus, the Texans D is pretty much league average in points and yards per game so do I think the offense can do some things as long as they take care of the ball (Houston is +9 in TO differential this year) which in turn, hopefully, limits the exposure on the defense. 

My apprehension comes on how our D is going match with their O.  Realistically, we probably are not shutting them down, but can they produce the critical situational stops, TOs?  Thats where going outside the season long trends regarding coverage calls, blitzing becomes so critical IMO.  

On 12/31/2023 at 9:15 PM, SR711 said:

They are going to have to play a clean game.  Some of the errors that we have seen in the last few weeks (both in wins and losses) cannot happen.  

Bradley has to be willing to do things that don't necessarily vibe with his core beliefs and change up coverage and blitzes.  I can tell you right now, if they play that soft (5+ yrds off) zone, with no extra rusher Stroud will tear that apart.  O'Connell set a career high in passing yards today and I will venture to say 80% of his yards came when the Colts were in zone.  Heineke also killed us last week when we played a large part of the game that way.  With the way this season has turned out, Stroud is probably going to be the best QB we have faced and he is a completely different player than he was in week 2.  That being said, he is still a rookie and they have to try and confuse him, speed him up and not allow him to get comfortable or in a rhythm.    

I don't think we can win this game without forcing a turnover or two, winning the turnover battle.   We have gone two straight games without a turnover and hopefully that ends next week. 

Offensively, they need to continue to lean on the run game and continue to mix up how they are running and who they are using.  I think Trey Sermon has shown enough in both the Steelers game and today that he warrants getting closer to 1/4th to 1/3rd of the total rushing attempts.  

If Steichen has any wrinkles (such as splitting JT wide) which we have not seen in a few weeks, now is the time to break them out. 

I would like to see more 2-back sets.  Send Taylor in one direction and Moss/Sermon in the other.  Create mis-matches for LB's.  Or, you can run play action with one and send the other out to the flat.  So many options.  I saw them do this earlier in the year, but not since.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, SR711 said:

Offensively, at least, I think the Colts have shown over the course of the season that even with the injuries that they are well coached, schemed to get themselves into some opportunities to put points on the board. Currently we are 10th in the league in PPG.  Plus, the Texans D is pretty much league average in points and yards per game so do I think the offense can do some things as long as they take care of the ball (Houston is +9 in TO differential this year) which in turn, hopefully, limits the exposure on the defense. 

My apprehension comes on how our D is going match with their O.  Realistically, we probably are not shutting them down, but can they produce the critical situational stops, TOs?  Thats where going outside the season long trends regarding coverage calls, blitzing becomes so critical IMO.  

the gus soft zone on third and long is made for giving up first downs to the other team

2 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I would like to see more 2-back sets.  Send Taylor in one direction and Moss/Sermon in the other.  Create mis-matches for LB's.  Or, you can run play action with one and send the other out to the flat.  So many options.  I saw them do this earlier in the year, but not since.

maybe shane is saving it for this very important game

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 4:23 PM, richard pallo said:

We only gave up 20 points and we were without Moore and Blackmon.  The zone doesn’t give up a lot of points normally.  Our problem is scoring.  Not enough opportunities imo.

Yeah but we were also going against a very bad offense, who’s QB only had 62 yards the previous week aside from the chargers game which are falling apart. Their offense has been terrible

On 12/31/2023 at 9:15 PM, SR711 said:

They are going to have to play a clean game.  Some of the errors that we have seen in the last few weeks (both in wins and losses) cannot happen.  

Bradley has to be willing to do things that don't necessarily vibe with his core beliefs and change up coverage and blitzes.  I can tell you right now, if they play that soft (5+ yrds off) zone, with no extra rusher Stroud will tear that apart.  O'Connell set a career high in passing yards today and I will venture to say 80% of his yards came when the Colts were in zone.  Heineke also killed us last week when we played a large part of the game that way.  With the way this season has turned out, Stroud is probably going to be the best QB we have faced and he is a completely different player than he was in week 2.  That being said, he is still a rookie and they have to try and confuse him, speed him up and not allow him to get comfortable or in a rhythm.    

I don't think we can win this game without forcing a turnover or two, winning the turnover battle.   We have gone two straight games without a turnover and hopefully that ends next week. 

Offensively, they need to continue to lean on the run game and continue to mix up how they are running and who they are using.  I think Trey Sermon has shown enough in both the Steelers game and today that he warrants getting closer to 1/4th to 1/3rd of the total rushing attempts.  

If Steichen has any wrinkles (such as splitting JT wide) which we have not seen in a few weeks, now is the time to break them out. 

I’m excited either way. Of course I want to win and move onto playoffs but this will be a playoff environment for sure. I’m just going to enjoy it because I wasn’t expecting this back in August. Win or lose this will be great experience for the younger players and will help build the winning culture. Next year will be fun with Richardson and seeing if he can put it together! Remember a lot of people wanted him to sit and learn for a year. This is gonna be fun !

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

I’m excited either way. Of course I want to win and move onto playoffs but this will be a playoff environment for sure. I’m just going to enjoy it because I wasn’t expecting this back in August. Win or lose this will be great experience for the younger players and will help build the winning culture. Next year will be fun with Richardson and seeing if he can put it together! Remember a lot of people wanted him to sit and learn for a year. This is gonna be fun !

Yep, I'll be rooting for a win obviously but this season is already a success in my book, based on preseason expectations. I'd love to keep it going!

• Like 3

I love me a good cage match. I just hope we are the one on top of the cage

undertaker-mankind.gif

This should be a great game! 

Get Mallory involved in the passing game

DO NOT abandon the run game please!!! 

Dust some of those tricks plays off - we need em 

And PLEASE somebody tell Gus to BLITZ!! 

13 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

100%.  Shane’s offense is becoming very predictable and easy to game plan for.  For a guy who was coming here with a reputation as an offensive guru I have been disappointed with his creativity.  16 games and it’s the same old same old.  You hit the nail on the head imo.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You mean they wouldn’t make it or they would have already clinched? Colts record would probably be same with Richardson. He would probably win them an extra game or two but maybe lost a couple Minshew won because he is a rookie. This is a better team with Richardson.

I don't they would make it.  AR was having the rookie struggles most players do.   He did not win a game this season. 

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't they would make it.  AR was having the rookie struggles most players do.   He did not win a game this season. 

He was the starter for the Texans and Titans games they won.  Wins are given to the starting QB.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He was the starter for the Texans and Titans games they won.  Wins are given to the starting QB.

Technically, yes.  Both of those were won by Minshew who had to come in to play.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

AR is 2-2 as a starter. He has won 2 games. He started the Texans and Titans game, and we even had the lead before he left with injury. He played the whole game vs the Rams and almost pulled that one out, we lost in OT. Minshew is a great backup and is proving to be an above average starter so not sure if we would be 9-7 with AR. My guess is, about the same with AR = 9-7. IMO, AR would have beat the Panthers, beat the Titans at Tennessee, beat the Pats, Steelers, and Raiders like Minshew has. 

Can you imagine where we would be right now if LaMar was our quarterback?  He was out there for the taking.  He with Steichen as his coach.  Wow!  He certainly would have been an expensive acquisition but I think we would have won the division and clinched home field by now.  It’s fun to dream.  On to Houston.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

100%.  Shane’s offense is becoming very predictable and easy to game plan for.  For a guy who was coming here with a reputation as an offensive guru I have been disappointed with his creativity.  16 games and it’s the same old same old.  You hit the nail on the head imo.

Show me an offense that doesn't do what they do week in week out. 

Unless an offense acquires gamechanging new talent or what they are doing doesn't work at all, big changes don't really happen during the season at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Show me an offense that doesn't do what they do week in week out. 

Unless an offense acquires gamechanging new talent or what they are doing doesn't work at all, big changes don't really happen during the season at least.

It shouldn’t be a big change to be more versatile and unpredictable.  We should have been that way all year.  Even a few designed roll outs would be nice.  Keep them guessing.  It’s not rocket science.  Same old same old is not to hard to defend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Can you imagine where we would be right now if LaMar was our quarterback?  He was out there for the taking.  He with Steichen as his coach.  Wow!  He certainly would have been an expensive acquisition but I think we would have won the division and clinched home field by now.  It’s fun to dream.  On to Houston.

Yep, I remember you and I were pounding the table for Lamar before the season and many were saying hard pass, or he would get injured, etc.. #1 - I knew Lamar had a lot to prove, #2 - I thought he was a top 5-7 QB in the league before the season. If we had Lamar on this team, we would be the #1 seed IMO and would be the one probably 13-3 instead of Baltimore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, I remember you and I were pounding the table for Lamar before the season and many were saying hard pass, or he would get injured, etc.. #1 - I knew Lamar had a lot to prove, #2 - I thought he was a top 5-7 QB in the league before the season. If we had Lamar on this team, we would be the #1 seed IMO and would be the one probably 13-3 instead of Baltimore. 

Lamar was not leaving Baltimore. That was all a smoke screen. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It shouldn’t be a big change to be more versatile and unpredictable.  We should have been that way all year.  Even a few designed roll outs would be nice.  Keep them guessing.  It’s not rocket science.  Same old same old is not to hard to defend.

I think every team would like to be more versatile, but I also think it's easier said than done.