Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sudden Death Cage Match: Colts vs. Texans *Saturday 8:15pm (MERGE)

RollerColt

43 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Can be.  Colts fans have to make it a hostile environment.  Hopefully it’s like the Pats game from a couple of years ago.

That’s my thought for this game, prime time Saturday night it’s going to be loud! CJ Stroud will get rattled and Colts win by 10 points! Heck, maybe Lucas oil stadium puts up a banner for the 12th man!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Moe said:

That’s my thought for this game, prime time Saturday night it’s going to be loud! CJ Stroud will get rattled and Colts win by 10 points! Heck, maybe Lucas oil stadium puts up a banner for the 12th man!

No doubt that is what happens. 12 man in LOS let's make it happen 

11 minutes ago, Moe said:

They already put the fans in the ring of honor lol

6 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

This is true.  But scheme does factor in when you start ranking out head coaches.  The guys at the top are all innovators on one side of the ball.  This is inevitable and has always been true and will always be true because the only way to hold on to an innovator is to place him in that top role.  But there's a lot to being a head coach.  There's the talent level you're working with.  There's your ability to teach and translate scheme from the board to the field by getting players to execute well.  There's tying together tons of other elements like how to optimize travel, practice scheduling, medical treatment of players etc.  There's also just having the gravitas to you in order to stand up in front of a room of professionals and get them polarized in one direction that you choose.

Which is why so many fail.  Steichen I am not sure to what extent he's an innovator, meaning leading new trends for the league.  Those guys are really rare.  But it doesn't matter for now when he's winning in year one.  You can go a long ways just being up to speed on trends and being smart enough to incorporate them and adjust them to fit your people.  So I'm very happy with him thus far.

Steichen does have some innovative plays. There was one from early in the season with Richardson in the red zone. JT O’Sullivan had never seen it before and was so impressed with the play that he declared every team would be copying it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Steichen does have some innovative plays. There was one from early in the season with Richardson in the red zone. JT O’Sullivan had never seen it before and was so impressed with the play that he declared every team would be copying it. 

I think that something fans need too remember Shane spent the whole off-season designing an offense around Richardson and put that in camp and worked on it all off-season.  Then on the fly he had to change the offense to suit Minshew.  It’s not going to have all the creative stuff he designed for Richardson.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I was a big supporter of Frank,  still am to a degree.   But I think there is a night and day difference in what we all see from Steichen to what we all saw from Frank.   I think Frank’s offense now feels very 20th century to me while Steichen’s offense feels very very 21st century, very cutting edge or high tech. 

Every week, I see receivers schemed opened like we rarely did with Frank.   It’s eye-popping to me how many times our receivers are open.  I now feel like Steichen gives the Colts a different feel and look, and some might say even a potential advantage as we move forward.  

Earlier today, @Superman said he thinks Steichen might only be using 30 percent of his offense this year.  And that we all might see much more next year.  This is an idea I floated maybe 3-4 weeks ago and it went no where.  I hope now that Superman has said it, it gains traction.   Not saying Super is stealing my idea, not at all, I don’t even know if he even saw my post,  I’m only saying he’s arrived at the same conclusion I have and I couldn’t be happier.   His voice has far more weight than mine.   

I think the Colts future with Steichen and AR feels very bright to me….. 

• Like 7

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I was a big supporter of Frank,  still am to a degree.   But I think there is a night and day difference in what we all see from Steichen to what we all saw from Frank.   I think Frank’s offense now feels very 20th century to me while Steichen’s offense feels very very 21st century.  

Every week, I see receivers schemed opened like we rarely did with Frank.   It’s eye-popping to me how many times our receivers are open.  I now feel like Steichen gives the Colts a different feel and look, and some might say even a potential advantage as we move forward.  

Earlier today, @Superman said he thinks Steichen might only be using 30 percent of his offense this year.  And that we all might see much more next year.  This is an idea I floated maybe 3-4 weeks ago and it went no where.  I hope now that Superman has said it, it gains traction.   Not saying Super is stealing my idea, not at all, I don’t even know if he even saw my post,  I’m only saying he’s arrived at the same conclusion I have and I couldn’t be happier.   His voice has far more weight than mine.   

I must have missed that post as well, because I agree with you and Supes 100% on that notion. 

I watched the all 22 of the Rams game, and that 2nd half really showed some of the creative and interesting stuff Shane had for Anthony. So many pieces were moving around, and defenses seemed legitimately confused. It’s exciting to think what 2024 will have in store for this offense. 

And also for the record, I’ve liked Reich too. As a man, a player and a teacher. I think he has a great father figure presence for players, and that’s certainly something needed these days. I’d like to see him return to football as a QB coach. I think that’s something he would be great at doing again. Don’t think he should be in charge of designing an offense though…

AR is going to be a beast in this system. As long as he can stay healthy. He was looking like a monster in the limited time we saw him. Just the power behind his throws. The kid has a cannon. 

• Like 4

Just now, RollerColt said:

I must have missed that post as well, because I agree with you and Supes 100% on that notion. 

I watched the all 22 of the Rams game, and that 2nd half really showed some of the creative and interesting stuff Shane had for Anthony. So many pieces were moving around, and defenses seemed legitimately confused. It’s exciting to think what 2024 will have in store for this offense. 

And also for the record, I’ve liked Reich too. As a man, a player and a teacher. I think he has a great father figure presence for players, and that’s certainly something needed these days. I’d like to see him return to football as a QB coach. I think that’s something he would be great at doing again. Don’t think he should be in charge of designing an offense though…

I appreciate the kind words about Frank.   A good and decent man.   I think I recently read that Frank said his NFL days are over, but that he’d still like to coach at a lower level.  

It got me wondering if Frank might want to coach at a high school like Philip Rivers has,  or perhaps a small religious school.  Some place he could relax, enjoy life and not have someone breathing fire looking over his shoulder.  Frank should enjoy some happiness in his later years.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Heard someone say today that Texans are not quite as explosive without tank dell. I could see that in the highlights of the Texan game. A lot of quick dumo offs and screens.

Well that’s good the Colts never have problems with those…

yes this is sarcasm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Heard someone say today that Texans are not quite as explosive without tank dell. I could see that in the highlights of the Texan game. A lot of quick dumo offs and screens.

That's what kills us. I wish we could play the screen and the short game a little better. What was it in the raiders game? 3rd and 19 and we let them convert easily.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate the kind words about Frank.   A good and decent man.   I think I recently read that Frank said his NFL days are over, but that he’d still like to coach at a lower level.  

It got me wondering if Frank might want to coach at a high school like Philip Rivers has,  or perhaps a small religious school.  Some place he could relax, enjoy life and not have someone breathing fire looking over his shoulder.  Frank should enjoy some happiness in his later years.  

I agree. He’s earned relaxation time and should take this opportunity to be with family. 

It blows my mind how fast my kids are growing and they’re 7 and 4 at the moment. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

AR is going to be a beast in this system. As long as he can stay healthy. He was looking like a monster in the limited time we saw him. Just the power behind his throws. The kid has a cannon. 

Honestly, as jaw dropping as his physical gifts are, I find myself really liking Anthony the person just as much.   A completely likable and relatable young man, easy to cheer for.   I hope he has a long career with the Colts.   If he does I think Colts Nation will be very happy for a long, long time. 

And yes, I haven’t felt this way about a player since Luck back at Stanford.  And to think….  A year ago I was as skeptical about Richardson as I’ve ever been about any player.  I loudly opposed him for many months here.  Then the Colts drafted him and everything I’ve read made me like him all the more.   I sure didn’t see THAT coming!   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, as jaw dropping as his physical gifts are, I find myself really liking Anthony the person just as much.   A completely likable and relatable young man, easy to cheer for.   I hope he has a long career with the Colts.   If he does I think Colts Nation will be very happy for a long, long time. 

And yes, I haven’t felt this way about a player since Luck back at Stanford.  

His pure joy for life is infectious. The dude has a million dollar smile lol.

• Like 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

And yes, I haven’t felt this way about a player since Luck back at Stanford.  

Me too! He is so likable. I was able to speak with him at the combine (briefly). What I really respected about him is how he didn't act rushed or annoyed speaking with me. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

His pure joy for life is infectious. The dude has a million dollar smile lol.

I’ll share my favorite Anthony Richardson story….  Shortly after getting drafted, AR was at some big civic event getting honored.   Afterwards, he does local media, but then, he stays and helps the staff clean up.   Someone went up to AR to tell him that this wasn’t necessary, and that there was paid staff there to clean up.   But Anthony insisted and stuck around and helped. 

Now THERE’S a kid who was raised right!  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ll share my favorite Anthony Richardson story….  Shortly after getting drafted, AR was at some big civic event getting honored.   Afterwards, he does local media, but then, he stays and helps the staff clean up.   Someone went up to AR to tell him that this wasn’t necessary, and that there was paid staff there to clean up.   But Anthony insisted and stuck around and helped. 

Now THERE’S a kid who was raised right!  

QB1 details his senior year of his,living conditions and his personality. Came from a very poor environment, very child like in many ways but quite likeable. If you have tubi watch the series and get to know him. His shoulder injury from this year happened in h.s and he hurt it multiple times...that does scare me honestly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was a big supporter of Frank,  still am to a degree.   But I think there is a night and day difference in what we all see from Steichen to what we all saw from Frank.   I think Frank’s offense now feels very 20th century to me while Steichen’s offense feels very very 21st century, very cutting edge or high tech. 

Not to take any credit away from you or anyone for an idea that I agree with, but I don't even think it's a novel concept. It seems kind of obvious that our offense is limited by the circumstances. And even if we had Richardson all year, I think there would have been some limitations, just of a different kind. I expected them to build the offense gradually, bringing a rookie QB along very deliberately. 

I like a lot of what Steichen has shown so far, and I get the impression he has a lot more in his bag. We might see some of it in the next week (or two??) as the stakes get bigger. 

And I also have some concerns about Steichen's gameplans. Early on, I felt like he wasn't able to get the offense in any rhythm, some of the short yardage plays were stalling out, etc. That stuff can take time with a new staff and young team. And since then, I have some questions about why Pittman gets all the gameplan specific stuff in the passing game -- even screens, which I'd expect to go to Downs or McKenzie. So it's not like I think Steichen is perfect, but I think the good far outweighs the bad so far.

And that's just talking about the offense. I might be more encouraged by Steichen the HC than I am by Steichen the play caller. He seems locked in and fully engaged with all elements of the game, he hasn't seemed overwhelmed by the moment at any point so far, his game management is on point, and it looks like he's raised the level of accountability and intensity throughout the entire operation. Like you, I'm very optimistic moving forward.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Not to take any credit away from you or anyone for an idea that I agree with, but I don't even think it's a novel concept. It seems kind of obvious that our offense is limited by the circumstances. And even if we had Richardson all year, I think there would have been some limitations, just of a different kind. I expected them to build the offense gradually, bringing a rookie QB along very deliberately. 

I like a lot of what Steichen has shown so far, and I get the impression he has a lot more in his bag. We might see some of it in the next week (or two??) as the stakes get bigger. 

And I also have some concerns about Steichen's gameplans. Early on, I felt like he wasn't able to get the offense in any rhythm, some of the short yardage plays were stalling out, etc. That stuff can take time with a new staff and young team. And since then, I have some questions about why Pittman gets all the gameplan specific stuff in the passing game -- even screens, which I'd expect to go to Downs or McKenzie. So it's not like I think Steichen is perfect, but I think the good far outweighs the bad so far.

And that's just talking about the offense. I might be more encouraged by Steichen the HC than I am by Steichen the play caller. He seems locked in and fully engaged with all elements of the game, he hasn't seemed overwhelmed by the moment at any point so far, his game management is on point, and it looks like he's raised the level of accountability and intensity throughout the entire operation. Like you, I'm very optimistic moving forward.

Sincere question for you…

The season ends….  And what will your reaction be if Shane lets Bradley go…. OR…. If Shane lets Bradley stay?

Im mostly neutral on this.  I can live with either decision, though I lean getting a younger more aggressive defensive version of Steichen to take care of that side of the ball. 

But what will your thoughts be either way?   

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The season ends….  And what will your reaction be if Shane lets Bradley go…. OR…. If Shane lets Bradley stay?

Im mostly neutral on this.  I can live with either decision, though I lean getting a younger more aggressive defensive version of Steichen to take care of that side of the ball. 

I’d like to answer this too

The only way I see Bradley gone is if Steichen has a specific DC in mind to replace him, which if we move on I’ll be excited hopefully for someone who isn’t as conservative and how it may improve the defense.

If we keep him, I’ll hope I’m wrong and that his defense will be able to compete with good QBs next year. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

And yes, I haven’t felt this way about a player since Luck back at Stanford.  And to think….  A year ago I was as skeptical about Richardson as I’ve ever been about any player.  I loudly opposed him for many months here.  Then the Colts drafted him and everything I’ve read made me like him all the more.   I sure didn’t see THAT coming!   

Gotta agree on all counts. I had a similar AR enlightenment 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wasn't a fan of the hire when we made it, and all the reasons I didn't like it at the time have manifested over the last two seasons. I didn't mind the Colts retaining Bradley and his staff for 2023, but I think the defense is limited by Bradley's philosophy, so I think we need to make a change. So if Steichen lets Bradley go, I think it would be for the best.

That said, I think it can get worse than Bradley, so just making a change won't make me feel good. I would hope we'd go after a guy who can coach a modern, dynamic defense. If we hire Leslie Frazier or Jack Del Rio, I'd be pretty irritated.

If Steichen keeps Bradley -- and honestly I think that's the most likely outcome at this point -- I'd be disappointed. I think it's an area where the team is deficient, and I'd like to see them attempt to make an improvement. It wouldn't be completely deflating, as I think there are some simple areas where the execution can be tightened up that would make a big difference -- cleaner coverage, better tackling, to be specific. But I think Bradley's approach keeps a ceiling on the defense, so I'd prefer a difference DC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If a younger defensive coordinator does very well, he could be in contention soon for a HC position, unless teams don't want a defensive mind to be their head coach as many teams would opt for an offense minded HC.

Gus Bradley gives the continuity, but GM will need to check it doesn't get stale, predictable and easy to score for the opponents - which seems to be the case now! 

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Colts might not have Kelly Saturday.

I guess it's too late to have Saturday ready for Saturday. haha  

Seriously though, I do feel bad for Kelly with regards to the tragedy the other year - it seems like he hasn't been the same since.  Even though he has one year remaining on his contract, I'm wondering if he retires after this season to enjoy time with his family.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Colts might not have Kelly Saturday.

French Fries combo. Seriously though when he does fill in for Kelly he does a decent job. Good news is Kenny Moore is back.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

French has done a good job. As long as smith is ok I think the Oline will be fine.

No he hasn’t.  He’s been one of the worst centers in the league when he’s in there while Kelly has been one of the best.  Not having Kelly would be a big loss.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

French has done a good job. As long as smith is ok I think the Oline will be fine.

French’s season long grade is 48.4.  That’s bad according to pff.  Average is 60.0.  So he’s below average at best.  He’s a big drop off from Kelly.  No sugarcoating here.  Losing Kelly is a big loss if it happens.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No he hasn’t.  He’s been one of the worst centers in the league when he’s in there while Kelly has been one of the best.  Not having Kelly would be a big loss.

There hasn’t been that much of a drop off. I don’t know what you have been watching. We have won games with him in there.