Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs. Steelers

RollerColt

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It would be the colts luck that watt comes back. Players don’t usually come back and his concussion was reported late. He still got a few extra days though even when reported late.

Hopefully Steichen prepares for Watt a little better than he did for Trey Hendrickson

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It would be the colts luck that watt comes back. Players don’t usually come back and his concussion was reported late. He still got a few extra days though even when reported late.

Yeah, they last played on Thursday so they have a 3 day head start on the Colts.

On 12/11/2023 at 3:52 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think a few days will make that much of a difference.

I think a few days do matter on a short week.  

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Was listening to Zack hicks podcast. He said he thinks colts need to go back to designed run plays and less RPO. There are apparently rules that hinder the run game in a RPO. Remember when Nelson told Reich can we get a straight run.

I think we need to double down on the deep shots to Pierce. The run game won’t open up until defenses back off. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think we need to double down on the deep shots to Pierce. The run game won’t open up until defenses back off. 

Obviously you have to get Minkah up to the box and be aware where Joey Porter Jr. is going to be, I am assuming. Most likely the safety help will rotate towards Pittman and you are right, we have to get a few shots to Pierce and loosen things up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Was listening to Zack hicks podcast. He said he thinks colts need to go back to designed run plays and less RPO. There are apparently rules that hinder the run game in a RPO. Remember when Nelson told Reich can we get a straight run.

Watching the Bengals game, I felt that we needed to do less RPO and try more straight run game, including some power game. 

I don't think there are any rules that hinder the run in RPO, the blockers are treating it as a run play, so the QB needs to make his read quickly. If anything it hinders the passing game, leads to more ineligible downfield penalties, and forces the QB to get rid of the ball right away.

But RPO usually involves leaving a run defender unblocked, some of the eligible receivers are running routes instead of run blocking, and the QB is usually in shotgun so the play is only going one way. There are good things about RPO, but sometimes it's better to just commit to the run.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Watching the Bengals game, I felt that we needed to do less RPO and try more straight run game, including some power game. 

I don't think there are any rules that hinder the run in RPO, the blockers are treating it as a run play, so the QB needs to make his read quickly. If anything it hinders the passing game, leads to more ineligible downfield penalties, and forces the QB to get rid of the ball right away.

But RPO usually involves leaving a run defender unblocked, some of the eligible receivers are running routes instead of run blocking, and the QB is usually in shotgun so the play is only going one way. There are good things about RPO, but sometimes it's better to just commit to the run.

It has something to do with the olinman I think. I would have to go back and listen.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

I would like to see more runs and play action passes.

And to stay away from handing the ball off in shotgun formation. I understand Peyton did it often but that was when the pass was the major threat… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I would like to see more runs and play action passes.

And to stay away from handing the ball off in shotgun formation. I understand Peyton did it often but that was when the pass was the major threat… 

Is Minshew historically bad when under center?  If I remember correctly, he is under center on most of the successful 4th down conversions (Pass to Pitt, and pass to Mo) as well as the extra point conversion against Cinci??  I could be wrong, but that's my recollection.  I think PA would be much improved if he ran a few more snaps from under center, even if a lot of them are runs.

Just my .02.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Is Minshew historically bad when under center?  If I remember correctly, he is under center on most of the successful 4th down conversions (Pass to Pitt, and pass to Mo) as well as the extra point conversion against Cinci??  I could be wrong, but that's my recollection.  I think PA would be much improved if he ran a few more snaps from under center, even if a lot of them are runs.

Just my .02.

I don’t think he’s historically bad no. I think the reason we are shotgun so much is precisely because of RPO. It naturally requires a lot of shotgun to give the QB extra time to see what the defenders are doing and make that quick decision. 

But it also means the RB can’t always get up to full speed and react, hence why it can get blown up behind the line of scrimmage if the QB makes the wrong read and choice. I think RPO has its place in our offense and Steichen has it as his flavor, but I’m hoping next season we’ll see Richardson continue to improve his reads and maybe mix it up more. 

We’ll see. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 1:18 PM, Superman said:

Question about this. Do people usually do resale through an official site? In which case, you don't know who's buying the tickets. And what would it take to find someone who is a Colts fan to buy at resale value?

A photo ID and a pic of Colts gear!!! lol. Not that it can't be photoshopped.

I feel last game was the perfect game to set us up for a playoff run.  Get that loss out of the way, then go on a win streak to get in and then let the chips fall where they may.  Just about everything that could go wrong did go wrong.   Got it out of their system.  How our team and coach responds this  week will speak volumes to their character.  I believe Steichen has what it takes to lead our team to its first win of a run to the playoffs! Go Colts!!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

if we cant beat them with watt they are just better than us

• Like 1

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/12/13/23999650/is-saturday-a-must-win-for-the-colts

Stampede Blue

Is Saturday a must win for the Colts?

...is Saturday a must win?

The answer is, yes. Absolutely. Without a doubt. Of course. For sure.

The Colts must win on Saturday if they want to make the postseason. First off, the Steelers are in front of them in the standings. Beating a team you are competing with for a spot will most likely prove to be crucial. Secondly, they are at home. Losing pivotal late season games with home field advantage would be highly costly. Thirdly, there are simply too many teams waiting to take the seventh seed. Sure some of them will lose this week, but all of them won’t. Finally, a win in your conference is huge for tie-breaker scenarios. That is why the Colts are in the playoff picture to begin with. If the Colts don’t care of business on Saturday, they most likely forfeit control of their own destiny. That is somewhere no team wants to be down the home stretch...

• Like 5

The Steelers will be playing their back up QB. They also have a low ranked pass blocking O-line. The defensive plan should be to use a lot of stunts and blitzes to pressure Trubisky, right? 

WRONG!!!!

We gotta make sure he's as comfortable as possible. No pressure and soft zone coverage. That's how we'll win. 

Signed - Defensive Coordinator Extraordinaire, Gus Bradley

• Like 1

I expect the Colts to win. It sucks to lose to Cincinnati, but we needed that. We needed our young players & coaches to get mad & go back to fixing the fundamentals. 

Last week, it just seemed meant to be. The muffed punt, missed calls on key plays (Kenny Moore & Nelson’s hold), busted screens passes, etc.

Now, we have a stretch run where we need to go 3-1 (with one being a win against the Steelers). If we do that, we SHOULD get into the playoffs with a healthy Taylor back into the fold. 

• Like 3

On 12/12/2023 at 12:12 PM, Superman said:

The Steelers are a mess, every game they've won has been due to a bunch of flukey things happening late in the game. They just got beat by a terrible Patriots team. I think the Colts are better. And Trubisky is pretty bad.

But in the Steelers favor is the fact that they played last Thursday, so they'll be on nine days rest. The Colts will be on six days rest.

Nah, the Colts will be on 13 days rest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1