Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bengals post game reaction

GoColts8818

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Making the QB think faster defiantly might of helped.

Screens are specifically designed to beat the blitz from a schematic perspective and the more guys you have rushing the QB, the more are pulled out of the play, and the more likely the screen is to be successful.

Never has more blitzing been the answer to a strong screen game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Screens are specifically designed to beat the blitz from a schematic perspective and the more guys you have rushing the QB, the more are pulled out of the play, and the more likely the screen is to be successful.

Never has more blitzing been the answer to a strong screen game.

100% agreed. You answer a blitz with man coverage if you have the personnel to do it. That’s how the Seahawks beat Manning and the Broncos in their Super Bowl. They straight up assaulted the receivers. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That penalty that Steichen didn’t accept to make it 2nd at 18 was horrendous.

Not really. The decision was not black or white and I can see why he went the way he did. What was horrendous was the defense played after declining thr penalty. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Played well in defense?!

What?

0 sacks, 0 turnovers, 34 PA, they had their 4th best game of the year on the ground well ahead of their weekly average, and they completed 19/25 passes. 

Hat about that is good?

I was speaking about the first half and only the first half.   And I said so.   

• Like 1

I said this in the game time thread and it bears repeating here:

We need to realize this was a Super Bowl caliber team we played today in the Bengals with extreme talent on both sides of the ball. They’re also in their final year of keeping everyone in tact. With Joe Burrow in there the score would’ve been worse. This Bengals team won’t look like this next year. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No it doesn’t.  It says they got a pick six which is nice but the rest of the first half was a disaster on defense.  The Bengals had over 150 some yards passing, completed their first six passes and were getting decent runs and had two very large screens.  

All that, but only gave up 14 points.   The Colts were very much in the game at the half.    If you won’t give the offense credit and won’t give the defense credit and Gay missed a short field goal,  then how was it only 14-14?   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

I’m confident. They are already getting alot of flack for playing him after the hit and evaluation.

Players coming back from a concussion 7 days happens but rare. Watt has two extra days to clear protocol. 

Plus the flack they are getting for letting him back in the game means nothing if he clears protocol. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Dear Lord… 

You have no idea so why even speculate?

Because that’s what being said on NFL dot com…. “Watt is likely to miss Saturday’s game vs the surging Colts due to discussion protocol, he’ll need an evaluation by an independent medical consultant to clear protocol.”

Just now, jskinnz said:

Players coming back from a concussion 7 days happens but rare. Watt has two extra days to clear protocol. 

Plus the flack they are getting for letting him back in the game means nothing if he clears protocol. 

Steichen will be game planning for him to be in. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All that, but only gave up 14 points.   The Colts were very much in the game at the half.    If you won’t give the offense credit and won’t give the defense credit and Gay missed a short field goal,  then how was it only 14-14?   

None of that matters now, the game is lost 

I still don’t believe in the Gus Bradley defense. The design make plays for sure but it’s allow QBs to be way too comfortable and puts way too much reliance on the front line. A group who just isn’t always up to the task, especially against an offensive line as good as the Bengals. 

• Like 2

I usually do a good and bad but this was all bad

Bad:

- Minshew was awful. Always leaving the pocket like he’s AR

-our edge rushers don’t hold the edge well at all. Tennessee exposed us last week with that. Running to the perimeter, is always successful for the other team

-Safety play wasn’t good. They are absent in the run game and for whatever reason Bradley never puts them over top of receivers

-Receivers weren’t good at all

-Running game was awful

-Offensive line was awful but Steichen did nothing to help Rainman with Hendrickson

-Defense had zero sacks. Zero

-EJ Speed on the bad ST plays. That one was the beginning of the end 

all around just awful team performance.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because the Bengals held the ball and the Colts couldn’t get off the field.  Also, in no universe is giving up 14 points to a back up QB and over 150 passing considered a good half of football for a defense.

The offense was okay in the first half but not great.  At least they strung a couple of drives together but for the most part it was an ugly half where they got tip drill pick six after their lone offensive scoring drive of the day to make it look better than it really was.  Cincy dominated the game minus about the last five minutes before half time.  

That’s a good five minute stent which is going to happen over the course of a game.  It does not mean they played well for the other 55 minutes or in this case 25 minutes.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Offensive line was awful but Steichen did nothing to help Rainman with Hendrickson

Coaching 101: you put your LT on the best defender on that side. What Steichen did is what he’s supposed to do. You’ve got to put trust in that player and let him cut his teeth. Raimann learned a lot from fighting Hendrickson all day. The loss sucks but in the long run this can only help our tackle grow. 

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I still don’t believe in the Gus Bradley defense. The design make plays for sure but it’s allow QBs to be way too comfortable and puts way too much reliance on the front line. A group who just isn’t always up to the task, especially against an offensive line as good as the Bengals. 

I said during the game I’ve never seen a team play so scared to get beat deep and then regularly get beat deep like the Colts do.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because the Bengals held the ball and the Colts couldn’t get off the field.  Also, in no universe is giving up 14 points to a back up QB and over 150 passing considered a good half of football for a defense.

The same backup quarterback who played lights out, even better, last week.   And who Colts fans were concerned about this week.  

It appears we see this very different.   Wish it wasn’t so.   I’m sorry.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was speaking about the first half and only the first half.   And I said so.   

Even saying we played well in the first half is a stretch. Once Browning settled in after those first 2 or 3 drives they were not struggling to move the ball and the chains.

Did their offense roll us? No. Did we impose our will on them? Also no.

We merely survived the first half. 

Would they have had just 14 first half points with Burrow under center? We got gifted a matchup against the backup and we still just treaded water. 

This defense has been predicated on sacks and pressure. 

None of which we were able to achieve. 

At any time. And they let the Bengals have one of their best days of the year on the ground on top of that. 

58 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That penalty that Steichen didn’t accept to make it 2nd at 18 was horrendous.

I would have taken the penalty but I can understand the argument for declining it there.  The announcers were having that debate because it wasn’t clear what the right decision was and Shane clearly had some indecision in it too.  Of the things to get mad about today declining that penalty was near the bottom in the list for me.  I am much more mad about playing so far off after that and then Grover getting blocked out of the TD play and even the later was more a good play by the Bengals.

Not a whole lot good to say about this game.

Our vaunted pass rush that got 12 sacks over the last 3 weeks got nothing.

Our vaunted running game went 16 for 46 yards (2.6 yards/carry).

Our expensive kicker didn't hit anything, costing us 4 points.

Our weakness at defensive back, starting 3rd and 4th stringers, was exposed by a team deep at receiver.

Our quarterback continued to cough up the ball, continuing the Minshew Experience of magical play matched with mind-numbing mayhem.

The only good thing, really, was the pick-six by Harrison.  That's two pick-sixes now, by the guy we signed when we released Leonard.

The other good thing is that nearly all the other teams lost.  We're in not that different a situation, although our odds of making the playoffs is less.

We still have a fighting chance, but we must win the Steelers game.  If we lose that one, we're out.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I would have taken the penalty but I can understand the argument for declining it there.  The announcers were having that debate because it wasn’t clear what the right decision was and Shane clearly had some indecision in it too.  Of the things to get mad about today declining that penalty was near the bottom in the list for me.  I am much more mad about playing so far off after that and then Grover getting blocked out of the TD play and even the later was more a good play by the Bengals.

Agreed. And Steichen said it best. He thought his defense had a higher chance to get one stop as opposed to two.

Hindsight is 20/20

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I really don't either. You see glimpses of strong playcalling, but all too often it's just uninspiring.

I see Gus as the antithesis of Steichen. He's generally rigid in his scheme and forces players to conform to it vs playing to the strengths of the players. Steichen is the complete opposite. If we move on from Gus after this season, I'd love to bring in someone more innovative and is able to use the scheme to get the best out of our players.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

-EJ Speed on the bad ST plays. That one was the beginning of the end 

Ameer Speed*

Otherwise I don't disagree.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Not a whole lot good to say about this game.

Our vaunted pass rush that got 12 sacks over the last 3 weeks got nothing.

Our vaunted running game went 16 for 46 yards (2.6 yards/carry).

Our expensive kicker didn't hit anything, costing us 4 points.

Our weakness at defensive back, starting 3rd and 4th stringers, was exposed by a team deep at receiver.

Our quarterback continued to cough up the ball, continuing the Minshew Experience of magical play matched with mind-numbing mayhem.

The only good thing, really, was the pick-six by Harrison.  That's two pick-sixes now, by the guy we signed when we released Leonard.

The other good thing is that nearly all the other teams lost.  We're in not that different a situation, although our odds of making the playoffs is less.

We still have a fighting chance, but we must win the Steelers game.  If we lose that one, we're out.

Pittman had 8 for 95.  He was the only player on offense to really show up.  Just an ugly day over the course of a 17 game season one or two are just going to be clunkers.

• Like 1

I thought after we tied it going into half we really had a chance to start the game over but we did not make adjustments and players and coaches were not prepared. Hopefully smith, speed, and Brent’s are back next week. I doubt Taylor will be back.

Dteichen has to get more creative with running the ball. Not just run it up the gut.

• Like 1

The one thing I take away from this game is the fact that in some way I prefer to lose like we did today rather than a close game.

Almost everything went wrong today so at least there is no point in thinking about 'What ifs'

To me the losses to the Browns and Rams felt much worse than this. 

I just hope this was an anomaly rather and not something that will be repeated.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I think with Minshew at QB, sometimes some great playcalling goes by the wayside. We constantly have open receivers that he just doesn't see. I definitely agree with needing to get Downs more involved again.

What I think Steichen meant was he though the defense was.'overdue' for a stop. :funny:

3 minutes ago, Los1sol said:

Terrible execution for most of it. They deserve to lose.

All things reason listed are usually the result of getting beat by a more talented team. The reason people want to hang their hats on excuses,  are just because they want to believe this team was improving. Like I said , wait till they play a talented team and all the positives from the last 4 weeks can be thrown out the window. 

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I thought after we tied it going into half we really had a chance to start the game over but we did not make adjustments and players and coaches were not prepared. Hopefully smith, speed, and Brent’s are back next week. I doubt Taylor will be back.

Dteichen has to get more creative with running the ball. Not just run it up the gut.

I’m expecting Taylor back now.  If we had won no.  But it’s been almost three weeks.  Time to get back out there.

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

All things reason listed are usually the result of getting beat by a more talented team. The reason people want to hang their hats on excuses,  are just because they want to believe this team was improving. Like I said , wait till they play a talented team and all the positives from the last 4 weeks can be thrown out the window. 

You’ve been gone about 2-3 weeks while the Colts were winning.   Now, after a defeat,  look who is back to enjoy the loss!  

What a surprise?! 

How completely predictable….    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1