Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bengals post game reaction

GoColts8818

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I think it was? The Colts were arguing that the penalty should have been on the WR

4 hours ago, bluebombers87 said:

They were right.

Jones grabbed him early - definitely PI , but Chase pushed him away before he tried for the catch.  Either keep the flag in your pocket or call offsetting penalties.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I was not talking about Brent’s. He hasn’t stayed healthy so colds so need to be aware and protect themwtkves.

You said none of them should be a starting CB after the poster you quoted mentioned Brents in their post so yes you were talking about Brents.

23 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

None of them should be a starting CB. Flowers did play well and looked good in his limited play. I won’t cry if they get rid of jones and baker and totally redo this entire secondary. Go get a vet and draft. Thats how you build depth.

Jones is a legitimate starting CB. Aside from some TDs he’s given up to Hopkins and Evans, he’s been lights out. It’s Baker who gives up the big plays, but he’s playing out of necessity. When Brents comes back, it should be fine. Also a real ball hawking FS (and a DC that knows how to use them) is the bigger need. A competent FS breaks up that big pass to Higgins.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You said none of them should be a starting CB after the poster you quoted mentioned Brents in their post so yes you were talking about Brents.

I was talking about the ones playing now. Come on. You should have known I wasn’t taking about Brent’s.  I was responding to the poster about  jones and flowers.  If you would of looked at the post I quoted.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jones is a legitimate starting CB. Aside from some TDs he’s given up to Hopkins and Evans, he’s been lights out. It’s Baker who gives up the big plays, but he’s playing out of necessity. When Brents comes back, it should be fine. Also a real ball hawking FS (and a DC that knows how to use them) is the bigger need. A competent FS breaks up that big pass to Higgins.

You still don’t put all your chips in on a 7th round CB when you can actually maybe get a legitimate vet in Fa or a high one in the draft.  Ballard should be trying to get better not settle and say we are good enough.  If jones is your backup you’re in good shape.  Don’t be scared of finding better and improving. Imagine what Gilmore would look like on this team. He was a stud for Dallas tonight. We can get better.

• Like 2

Water must of the time finds its level when your relying on late round picks. It’s halppened  with Thomas this year. He looks bad. These late round picks should be your backups and don’t be scared of improving. You need two stud CB in this league and it’s a premium position. We have stroud and Lawrence in this division. What we have now is not good enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A LOT of over reacting going on.  The Colts played a very poor game.  It happens over the course of the season, especially for a young team.  Add in they had some major guys out hurt, their starting QB, RT, RB, LB, and both starting corners and Grover was having his first game back and yeah it’s easy to understand why they struggled.  Some of those guys will be back and some won’t but just because they are on IR doesn’t mean the team still doesn’t feel the impact of not having that guy.  

This team has already exceeded most fans expectations for this season, especially when they lost Richardson so early.  So why don’t we cut them some slack and stop acting they need to blow up the whole roster and start over?

I get it, it was a very disappointing day but that happens in football.  Hopefully next week will be better.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

A LOT of over reacting going on.  The Colts played a very poor game.  It happens over the course of the season, especially for a young team.  Add in they had some major guys out hurt, their starting QB, RT, RB, LB, and both starting corners and Grover was having his first game back and yeah it’s easy to understand why they struggled.  Some of those guys will be back and some won’t but just because they are on IR doesn’t mean the team still doesn’t feel the impact of not having that guy.  

This team has already exceeded most fans expectations for this season, especially when they lost Richardson so early.  So why don’t we cut them some slack and stop acting they need to blow up the whole roster and start over?

I get it, it was a very disappointing day but that happens in football.  Hopefully next week will be better.  

The same issues were there today that were there all year.  Colts just couldn’t cover them up today with blocked punts or something crazy happening. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If he does the doctors have some explaining to do as he played a whole half of football after that.

Too late now, it would look rigged to keep him out vs the Steelers. He got right back up anyway and played a whole half. Football is starting to annoy me, because everytime someone gets hit and gets up shaken up, announcers and some think it's a Freakin' concussion. They need to slow their roll on that crap or make it flag football. 

• Like 2

With this team truly evaluating things this year it will be interesting  who they decide should be a part of this team next year and who shouldn’t. 

What they can’t do is be ok with average and say oh that guy played ok. No go get better. 

They need a FS.

They need a backup to Grover if he is extended.

They need a CB whether that’s a vet or high in the draft I don’t know. Maybe both 

Wont hurt to add a WR. 

Alsi need to evaluate Rainmann and ask is he the future Lt.  He needs a strong finish.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Agreed

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Going to be watching Rainmann close rest of year. Still a couple good pass rushers coming up. Colts might have to think about a first round tackle if this was not a outlier.

He is still young and learning.  He went up against a against a pro-bowler with 7 seasons of experience.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Where TH is JuJu... what did he do to himself?! The first play of the game was an ugly sack..Mat Gay clanked one. The Bengals get throwing screens. And Browning was making unbelievable plays early.. I had to build a bunk bed after that..

He was questionable and they decided not to play if after very limited practice. He will probably play this week.

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Again we played poor teams during this 4 game win streak. My guess is it was just a bad game because the entire team broke down but still needs evaluated.

He's literally been grading out as a top 10 tackle for all but a few weeks this season 

Raimann - 1. 71.5(13/65), 2. 76.9(11/71), 3. 78.3(10/67), 4. 78.3(11/71), 5.78.3(9/72), 6. 79.3(10/74), 7. 75.7(14/74), 8. 78.6(10/75), 9. 80.3(9/76), 10. 82.8(5/79), 11. 81.3(8/83), 12. 80.2(8/83)

We'll see when he comes in today.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

He's literally been grading out as a top 10 tackle for all but a few weeks this season 

Raimann - 1. 71.5(13/65), 2. 76.9(11/71), 3. 78.3(10/67), 4. 78.3(11/71), 5.78.3(9/72), 6. 79.3(10/74), 7. 75.7(14/74), 8. 78.6(10/75), 9. 80.3(9/76), 10. 82.8(5/79), 11. 81.3(8/83), 12. 80.2(8/83)

We'll see when he comes in today.

I would like to see his numbers when he is facing a very good to above average edge rusher. Hendrickson is not elite but in the above average category.  I wonder if because they gave Freeland extra help and couldn’t help Rainmann side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I would like to see his numbers when he is facing a very good to above average edge rusher. Hendrickson is not elite but in the above average category.  I wonder if because they gave Freeland extra help and couldn’t help Rainmann side.

He's 3rd in the league in sacks this season.

Has averaged 12 sacks a year over the last 4 years. 4th most in the league behind only Watt, Garrett and Reddick.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shive said:

I don't think that's the reason at all. Browning had a very low TTT, so our pass rush didn't have a chance.

She might not be off too much. Grover is probably getting back into game shape and we got moved off the ball even in running situations, not just passing situations. I think we will see a better Grover vs the Steelers at home.

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

He's 3rd in the league in sacks this season.

Has averaged 12 sacks a year over the last 4 years. 4th most in the league behind only Watt, Garrett and Reddick.

Yep, that OP has spoken like someone who hasn't paid attention to Hendrickson in recent years. He is a heck of a pass rusher, one of the best FA acquisitions by the Bengals a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Where TH is JuJu... what did he do to himself?! The first play of the game was an ugly sack..Mat Gay clanked one. The Bengals get throwing screens. And Browning was making unbelievable plays early.. I had to build a bunk bed after that..

I think JuJu has missed more games than he has played.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is wrong with Moss? Last week he had 19 carries for 51 yards. This week, 13 carries for 28 yards. We need JT back and badly. I am hoping Moss does have 1 more good game in him like he played earlier in the season because JT will be out again vs Pitt. After that we need JT back in there.

I think we need both Ryan Kelly and Braden Smith in full health vs Steelers at home. That could be a big reason for our run game flourishing, when Raimann, Big Q, Kelly, Fries and Smith are all healthy and playing together.

• Like 2

My reaction: I was bummed watching this game. But I don't think it was reasonable for anyone to believe we were going to finish 12 and 5 in 2023. My word of caution for the 'more passionate' amongst us: I suspect the Colts will lose another game or two before this season is over. But, we'll win a couple more too.

This summer, who would have thought that 10 and 7; or even 11 and 6 were possibilities for this year? Be happy that the team we are fans of is doing so well! :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You still don’t put all your chips in on a 7th round CB when you can actually maybe get a legitimate vet in Fa or a high one in the draft.  Ballard should be trying to get better not settle and say we are good enough.  If jones is your backup you’re in good shape.  Don’t be scared of finding better and improving. Imagine what Gilmore would look like on this team. He was a stud for Dallas tonight. We can get better.

Ballard needs to change his team build approach moving forward in order for this team to reach the next level. A sense of urgency on his part would help too. This slow LONG term approach of drafting (by moving DOWN) mostly mid tier types in lower rds with high RAS scores that he HOPES will pan out or by filling out the roster with low cost FAs that come with the "low risk / high reward" tag. Buckner is the exception and is considered elite at the DT position. Hopefully with Shane as hc he will push for a couple of EXPLOSIVE receivers that have to be accounted for by the opposition. A speed guy that has open field suddenness who can take it to the house on any given play.

On defense that secondary needs to be addressed because it's a weak link and I'm not so sure that some of these young guys are the answer anyway. It's also time to move on from Gus as dc. He represents the old school retread type of coach that appears to be stuck in his ways and unable to ADAPT to the modern day passing league. Receivers are faster and qbs (even backups) will pick apart ANY defense in which it allows it corners to sit 10 yds off the line of scrimmage on a regular. On the flip side Minshew doesn't get that luxury. The Colts have feasted on some BAD offenses as of late (Steelers next) but Cincy SHOWED there's more work that needs to be done but I'll take this season in a heartbeat because no one expected them to be relevant anyway. 

The simplest explanation for yesterdays loss is we released our second best linebacker 2 weeks ago, and our best linebacker was inactive yesterday. I said in the preseason I didn't want to see Mcgrone, Stuard, or Olubi on the field, yesterday was testament to that!  The linebackers looked REAL bad yesterday. That said, we had won 4 in a row, how many times in the last 50 years have the Colts won as many as 5 games in a row? 

6 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

Ballard needs to change his team build approach moving forward in order for this team to reach the next level. A sense of urgency on his part would help too. This slow LONG term approach of drafting (by moving DOWN) mostly mid tier types in lower rds with high RAS scores that he HOPES will pan out or by filling out the roster with low cost FAs that come with the "low risk / high reward" tag. Buckner is the exception and is considered elite at the DT position. Hopefully with Shane as hc he will push for a couple of EXPLOSIVE receivers that have to be accounted for by the opposition. A speed guy that has open field suddenness who can take it to the house on any given play.

On defense that secondary needs to be addressed because it's a weak link and I'm not so sure that some of these young guys are the answer anyway. It's also time to move on from Gus as dc. He represents the old school retread type of coach that appears to be stuck in his ways and unable to ADAPT to the modern day passing league. Receivers are faster and qbs (even backups) will pick apart ANY defense in which it allows it corners to sit 10 yds off the line of scrimmage on a regular. On the flip side Minshew doesn't get that luxury. The Colts have feasted on some BAD offenses as of late (Steelers next) but Cincy SHOWED there's more work that needs to be done but I'll take this season in a heartbeat because no one expected them to be relevant anyway. 

Zone coverage is the primary defense scheme throughout the league.  Has been for quite some time.  Very few teams, if any, play entirely man.  There are not enough good cover corners to do it.  Zone gives you the best chance to contain the WR’s.  I think the Colts issue is primarily experience in the secondary.  Gilmore made a big difference last year.  This year the new players are learning on the fly.  That’s how I see it anyway.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Zone coverage is the primary defense scheme throughout the league.  Has been for quite some time.  Very few teams, if any, play entirely man.  There are not enough good cover corners to do it.  Zone gives you the best chance to contain the WR’s.  I think the Colts issue is primarily experience in the secondary.  Gilmore made a big difference last year.  This year the new players are learning on the fly.  That’s how I see it anyway.

Yes and we knew it was going to be this way before the season started and before both starting corners got hurt.  It’s amazing how many people just forget that once the season started and injuries happened.

• Thanks 1