Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steichen Appreciation Thread

w87r

11 minutes ago, w87r said:

I'm a fan. Of course he has made mistakes, as all coaches do. But I firmly believe he's head and shoulders above most coaches in their rookie years, and will only learn and get better. We might have a lonnng time solution at the helm. 

How many wins does this team need for him to be Coach of the year? I think 9 or 10 does it, if the offense continues putting 20+ points up. 

• Like 2

This may be a raw time to make this statement, however, Steichen is the kind of coach that sees your tight end embarrass the linebacker defending him, and say, "Do it again.  Hit him again", rather than stoically look at your clipboard say, "Nope, the math says we should do something else", and never throw to the guy again.  He understands that not everything can be reduced to algorithms and chance calculations.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

This may be a raw time to make this statement, however, Steichen is the kind of coach that sees your tight end embarrass the linebacker defending him, and say, "Do it again.  Hit him again", rather than stoically look at your clipboard say, "Nope, the math says we should do something else", and never throw to the guy again.  He understands that not everything can be reduced to algorithms and chance calculations.

I agree, but he's also smart enough to understand the analytics that make sense, which is why he's been aggressive on 4th down. I'm just happy to see us convert big on those 4th downs. It's been a long time coming with that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm a fan. Of course he has made mistakes, as all coaches do. But I firmly believe he's head and shoulders above most coaches in their rookie years, and will only learn and get better. We might have a lonnng time solution at the helm. 

How many wins does this team need for him to be Coach of the year? I think 9 or 10 does it, if the offense continues putting 20+ points up. 

The Houston coach not to mention Payton in Denver are at the same number of wins as Steichen.

Just now, richard pallo said:

True but Houston has a rookie quarterback and Denver has rebounded from giving up 70 points against Miami to start the season.

That’s more credit to their coaches and their ability to adapt in a long season than any form of indictment against Steichen, that’s my point.

There’s no doubt those coaches need credit too but this thread is about Steichen. Thankfully we’re past the 39 points over 3 games average to resume playing complementary football which is coincidentally winning games for Broncos and Texans too for the most part.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

That’s more credit to their coaches and their ability to adapt in a long season than any form of indictment against Steichen, that’s my point.

There’s no doubt those coaches need credit too but this thread is about Steichen. Thankfully we’re past the 39 points over 3 games average to resume playing complementary football which is coincidentally winning games for Broncos and Texans too for the most part.

I was responding to a poster who was suggesting Steichen for coach of the year.  I’m not saying he shouldn’t be considered he should.  But if it’s about coaching Payton and the Houston coach have done a great job as well.  Payton has the name recognition too which could give him an edge after a 1-5 start.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I was responding to a poster who was suggesting Steichen for coach of the year.  I’m not saying he shouldn’t be considered he should.  But if it’s about coaching Payton and the Houston coach have done a great job as well.  Payton has the name recognition too which could give him an edge after a 1-5 start.

Yep, Sean Payton will run away with it because of his name recognition if they make the playoffs as a 9-8 or 10-7 team, no doubt in my mind. He’s done it before after slow starts with the Saints, so he definitely leaned on his experience.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I honestly think it will be Nick Sirianni if they keep winning. But of Steichen, Payton, and Ryan, it's a no brainer for me at this point of the season. Steichen is winning football games with Gardner Minshew playing very mediocre football this season... with a team that was brutal last season. If they go 10-7, after starting 3-5, it would be an interesting argument against him. Ryan has an mvp candidate at qb playing out of his mind and putting the team on his shoulders right now. Payton has a veteran top tier qb. A lot can and undoubtedly will change for the colts, texans, and broncos. It's not likely all three of us keep rolling down the stretch. If Steichen pulls it off, he's got my support for it.

That mic d up video was awesome. I couldn’t tell if that was steichen or a coked up beaver cleaver on the sidelines with all the gollys and jeez comments lol. He sounds so wholesome yet still fires you up to wanna run through a brick wall when you hear him. He’s had his bad moments but his play designs and play calling have been a very very pleasant change. I think he’s going to be the best coach we have had since dungy. 

Even though the Eagles are 10-1 the offense is not the same without Shane calling the plays and its been pointed out on several of Philly's broadcasts throughout the season. The offense is less explosive on a whole and lacks the creativity that kept defenses off guard. The aggressive style that put Philly in the SB last season has been replaced with a more methodical and cautious approach. Wins are still there but some grumble about the inconsistency of their offense at times now and that's where Shane is missed by them.

I think we FINALLY have that young coach in Shane who is a rising star in the league. Steichen is STILL a rookie hc but the sky's the limit for him and the team. What he's done with the offense and team in general is mind boggling considering all the obstacles that he's faced this season. Yet here we sit as the 7th seed in the loaded AFC!! No matter how this season plays out I'm EXCITED to see what Shane can do NEXT season with AR and JT in the same backfield to go along with Pitt, Downs and a true wr1. Also don't forget about the young stable of talented TEs either! Get your popcorn ready because something special is on the horizon! Go Colts.... :thmup:

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

That mic d up video was awesome. I couldn’t tell if that was steichen or a coked up beaver cleaver on the sidelines with all the gollys and jeez comments lol. He sounds so wholesome yet still fires you up to wanna run through a brick wall when you hear him. He’s had his bad moments but his play designs and play calling have been a very very pleasant change. I think he’s going to be the best coach we have had since dungy. 

I LOVE his intensity and think that was the PG version with some of the "golly" language because Shane KNEW he was mic'd up!! Lol Never seen him berate a player but he will fire them up with emotion! The great Lane Johnson once said that Shane is one of the most competitive personalities that he knows and the man HATES to lose!! He said besides being a great offensive mind guys loved his sense of urgency and aggressive mindset in attacking defenses.

I recently saw Lane on the McAfee show in which Pat spoke on Philly's success but he also brought up Steichen and the job he's done with the Colts. Pat asked Lane if he still keeps in contact with Shane. Lane said yes almost weekly because Shane is always sending him random clips of animals like alligators ripping stuff apart and he loves the guy! Give Shane one or two more offensive playmaking weapons next season combined with a more attacking style defense and there's no doubt in my mind that the Colts can flip this around very quickly to become one of the threats in the loaded AFC.

• Like 1

He's a rookie HC and it's probably too early to make some huge proclamation but so far so good. He's checking a lot of the boxes I want our HC to be checking and the areas of the team that most depend on his expertise are doing above expectations based on the talent we have. How are we scoring so much with Minshew play at the putrid level he's been playing for most of the season is beyond me. 

I don't know if it's still honeymoon time and I'm not focusing too much on his mistakes(because just like any coach he will make mistakes too), but I never feel worried or anxious about what he's going to call offensively. Purely subjectively, his playcalling just ... feels right. It feels like the offense is in rhythm, feels like he's switching things around and keeping the opponent on their heels. It never feels to me like the opponent knows exactly what we are going to run and is ready to stop it play after play... like the situation was last year. 

His offensive coaching hires have been great too... the OL seems to be back on track with the new OL coach(props to him too BTW - finally was able to stop the slide of otherwise talented unit). He seems to be running a good operation with his assistants and QB coach. Just... in general the Colts seem like a well coached team. A team that you will have to work hard to beat, even if our talent is probably not at the level of some of the current juggernauts in the league. 

With all that said... I really hope Ballard doesn't come away from this year with the impression that the offense is fine and he doesn't need to invest in it. NO! On the contrary. When you have what seems like a great offensive mind, you don't sit on it - you go get the guy the best talent you can find in order to make that offense not just good(which it is right now), but dominant. Go get a legit no. 1 receiver if you can... go get a TE who can stretch the field and/or make plays after the catch... hell... if you love a RG in the draft... spend a 3d rounder to totally solidify that line and eliminate what seems to be the only weakness/question mark or give the line some much needed depth. Just... in general... don't be complacent with the offense. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

With all that said... I really hope Ballard doesn't come away from this year with the impression that the offense is fine and he doesn't need to invest in it. NO! On the contrary. When you have what seems like a great offensive mind, you don't sit on it - you go get the guy the best talent you can find in order to make that offense not just good(which it is right now), but dominant. Go get a legit no. 1 receiver if you can... go get a TE who can stretch the field and/or make plays after the catch... hell... if you love a RG in the draft... spend a 3d rounder to totally solidify that line and eliminate what seems to be the only weakness/question mark or give the line some much needed depth. Just... in general... don't be complacent with the offense. 

This... I totally agree with!! :thmup:

• Like 1

So many QB analysts including one of my favorites JT O’Sullivan has loved his play designs. I recall he even said one of the plays they ran with Richardson early in the season would be stolen by everyone with how good of a play it was. And then you have those plays where Big Q pulls and is allowed to just run over guys, you can tell the line loves that stuff!

Shane’s been quite creative so far. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stitches said:

He's a rookie HC and it's probably too early to make some huge proclamation but so far so good. He's checking a lot of the boxes I want our HC to be checking and the areas of the team that most depend on his expertise are doing above expectations based on the talent we have. How are we scoring so much with Minshew play at the putrid level he's been playing for most of the season is beyond me. 

I don't know if it's still honeymoon time and I'm not focusing too much on his mistakes(because just like any coach he will make mistakes too), but I never feel worried or anxious about what he's going to call offensively. Purely subjectively, his playcalling just ... feels right. It feels like the offense is in rhythm, feels like he's switching things around and keeping the opponent on their heels. It never feels to me like the opponent knows exactly what we are going to run and is ready to stop it play after play... like the situation was last year. 

His offensive coaching hires have been great too... the OL seems to be back on track with the new OL coach(props to him too BTW - finally was able to stop the slide of otherwise talented unit). He seems to be running a good operation with his assistants and QB coach. Just... in general the Colts seem like a well coached team. A team that you will have to work hard to beat, even if our talent is probably not at the level of some of the current juggernauts in the league. 

I would bet we don't go after your legit #1, nor a stretch TE, nor a 3rd RD RG.

And I would believe that Steichen will heavily influence our draft needs just as I believe Ballard let Frank do.

I hate that we will be drafting behind so many teams. 

Defense with 2 of our 1st 3 picks sounds right. Certainly a LB.

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

And I would believe that Steichen will heavily influence our draft needs just as I believe Ballard let Frank do.

I’m okay with it if we end up in the playoffs, but if we just miss out and sit at like 17, yeah that will suck…

And that’s a very likely scenario.

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I believe IF Ballard lets Steichen influence the draft we definitely will get a wr1 type. Shane had big time receivers with Justin Herbert during his ROY record setting campaign and Jalen Hurts really took off once the Eagles drafted D Smith and aquired Brown.

I don't know if many of you are familiar with the Carton Show which airs nationally every morning on FS1 before the annoying Skip Bayless. Craig Carton is a popular (to some) NY radio personality with many over the top sport takes who previously had a top rated show with Boomer Esiason until Craig did some time for wire fraud. For whatever reason Craig repeatedly takes shots at the Colts as being dysfunctional, poorly ran, mostly talent void, IRRELEVANT and owned by a wacked out Jim Irsay who in his opinion is one of the worst owners in the league.

SURPRISINGLY this morning he showed Shane Steichen some love (he did also for AR before injury) and said he should be in serious consideration for COY with the job he's done with THAT team amid all the issues (that he listed) this season BUT in typical Craig fashion he gave Irsay a backhand compliment for the correct hire in Steichen from Philly after the disaster hire of the fat guy with no experience... Wow! I just hope we can get back to winning on a consistent basis and that be the narrative for the team like the Manning era when the franchise was considered a class act.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I don't know if many of you are familiar with the Carton Show which airs nationally every morning on FS1 before the annoying Skip Bayless. Craig Carton is a popular (to some) NY radio personality with many over the top sport takes who previously had a top rated show with Boomer Esiason until Craig did some time for wire fraud. For whatever reason Craig repeatedly takes shots at the Colts as being dysfunctional, poorly ran, mostly talent void, IRRELEVANT and owned by a wacked out Jim Irsay who in his opinion is one of the worst owners in the league.

SURPRISINGLY this morning he showed Shane Steichen some love (he did also for AR before injury) and said he should be in serious consideration for COY with the job he's done with THAT team amid all the issues (that he listed) this season BUT in typical Craig fashion he gave Irsay a backhand compliment for the correct hire in Steichen from Philly after the disaster hire of the fat guy with no experience... Wow! I just hope we can get back to winning on a consistent basis and that be the narrative for the team like the Manning era when the franchise was considered a class act.

Pretty rich coming from someone who is in NY. I would ask him how the Jets and Giants are doing, chuckling homer simpson GIFor even Buffalo for that matter.

• Like 1