Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steichen Appreciation Thread

w87r

MVP for Colts again. Steichen.

17 points given up on 2 fumbles by Minshew including a TD plus missed FG, no problem, still got us scoring 38 points vs Browns.

2 point conversion and a fumble by Minshew, still kept the ship steady today and led us to move the ball several different ways vs Titans.

The good stuff considerably outweighs any growing pain negatives he has had as an HC. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today was definitely not my favorite with him. When he called that timeout late I was scanning the sidelines looking to see if jim caldwell was under a headset somewhere. And then that decision to try to pass with Minshew late in regulation that got batted down and luckily not picked off for a backbreaking end to the game… yikes. He certainly trusts Minshew, maybe a little too much. 

22 minutes ago, w87r said:

He deserves some run too.

A lot to still be determined.

still a lot of ball left. Guaranteed neither of them give two hoots about the award right now. 

one has the rookie of the year and mvp candidate under center. One has a journeyman. the one with the journeyman is 1-0 against the other. 

hell, it may come down to whoever wins that final game if the playoffs are on the line. But regardless of what happens, im pretty dang pleased with our coach and the future under his leadership. 

• Like 1

Steichen has affected TWO offenses this season!!! The Eagles no longer look like a well oiled machine on O and the Colts are managing to score with some nice playcalling to go along with an aggressive mindset that has this team contending with a backup qb at the helm!! Can we hold on to a playoff spot? Only time will tell but let's enjoy this unlikely run based on circumstances.

D Ryan probably will win COY unless the Texans completely fall off a cliff. The Texans are the NFL feel good story right now because they have QUICKLY hit on the qb, wr, de, corner and hc but for my money Shane has changed a mindset by getting the MOST from a good but not great roster. He is getting the most from Minshew (warts included) and that's the point! Minshew is a good BACKUP with limitations yet Shane is trusting him to EXECUTE in critical situations and I truly believe this is why we are in playoff contention right now. No more scared ball and I love it! Shane has also assembled an upper tier coaching STAFF that's flying under the radar.

16 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If he gets this team to the playoffs,  he is coach of the year

He has my vote. He gets the Colts to the playoffs despite Minshew, while C J Stroud is playing even better than Mahomes, IMO, while possibly leading the Texans to the playoffs.

Broncos and Sean Payton, I personally would prefer them to not make the playoffs but it is always a tall task after starting 1-5 to maintain momentum, plus they haven't beaten a team that scored more than 20 points during their win streak telling me their D is the one doing most of the talking. Sean Payton doesn't coach the D while Steichen 100% coaches the O. We are averaging 25 points per game after 12 games, let that sink in while the Texans with Stroud are at 23.4.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

If he gets this team to the playoffs,  he is coach of the year

It would be hard to argue against that because he has done it most of the year with a backup QB and his star RB being sidelined. Hell yesterday, Moss only had 51 yards on 19 carries and we still managed to control a lot of that game. 1 drive we had, was over 10 minutes. It was short creative passing play calls that was huge.

• Like 2

Steichen seems to have been a great hire, and glad they took the time to find the right guy. It is also becoming more aparent that his coordinator and position coach choices were very solid too, which is often overlooked. Gus gets frustrating at time, but his guys are good at their jobs too, with what they have to work with ( not a slight).

• Like 1

If Shane gets us to the playoffs he should automatically win COTY.  I don’t think any team in the playoff hunt has faced more adversity than us.  This is not all, but here are some things he’s had to deal with:

- second youngest team in the league

- rookie HC

- change culture of team after a tumultuous season

- lose starting cb to gambling (Rodgers)

- lose starting qb for season early in the season

- lose starting DT (Grover)

- didn’t have his best offensive weapon to begin the season, and honestly hasn’t been able to use him much

as far as the other coaches:

- Ryans has coached the Texans into prominence but he has his qb and Shane doesn’t, which gives Shane the edge to me.  Plus we beat them and if we beat them again I think that stops Ryan’s chances

- Campbell has the lions in a good place but it was expected, no one expected the colts to do anything with AR, let alone minshew.  So advantage, Shane 

- Payton, I think is the biggest threat.  He took a team that was a laughing stock, started the year horribly, and turned them around into a potential playoff team.  But, once again, Payton has all his tools at his disposal.  And the broncos started the turnaround once they were healthy, while we’ve dealt with changing lineups on a week to week basis.  Shane has had more to juggle, so he gets the advantage.

- Sirriani, he has probably the second most talented team in the league and they’re on a losing skid right now.  I don’t think he’ll get it at all.

So with that said, give it to Shane.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

they’re on a losing skid right now

Lol, 1 game skid?

Anyway, I agree with your post.

Eagles really should probably be like 8-4 or something. They definitely miss their old play caller.

• Like 1

Even if we do make it to the playoffs, Shane's not going to get it. In the eyes of the national media, we're not relevant enough. They push people they want to push. Ryans, unless the Texans fall off a cliff, is going to get it. Coming in 2nd place is Dan Campbell.

Keep sleeping on us, we'll continue to keep haunting you in your dreams.

• Like 2