Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts released Shaq Leonard

CR91

17 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

franklin is good at tackles for gains i would like to see more tackles for losses from him

not living in the Indy area I don’t get to see many games, but the games I do see it seems like this is a issue with all the past and present colt lb’s. It seems like most runs for a loss are from the line initial hits not lb’s. That’s why I haven’t liked any of the big contracts the colts have given lb’s for years.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Is Leonard the next Jerry Hughes? I don't know what caused Hughes to leave the Colts but it seems that fans regretted it. Yes/No?

Can't really say regret it, because being in the right system matters.

He wasn't here, was in Buffalo.

Coincidentally though, we converted to a system that fit him better after he left.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Is Leonard the next Jerry Hughes? I don't know what caused Hughes to leave the Colts but it seems that fans regretted it. Yes/No?

No Hughes didn’t do anything here.  Leonard did.  Grigson gave up on Hughes too soon.  Leonard has real injury issues that he hasn’t overcome after being great.  Completely different situations.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What do you mean? By "didn't do anything", do you mean he was not successful here or that he did not do anything to force his departure?

Colt’s vs. Jets Wild Card Game 2011, we had just taken the lead with less then a minute to go, please go back and watch Jerry Hughes on the kickoff. That sealed his fate. He was ticked he was relegated to special teams, he showed us! 

• Thanks 2

Just now, NFLfan said:

No, hughes was never a fit for a 4-3, he went to a good 3-4 and did good. He was also upset playing behind Mathis and Freeney. 

Leonard had a severe injury, a back injury, was slow as heck when he came back. Missed several games in his last season and a half with the Colts and was grossly overpaid and under performing 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

No, hughes was never a fit for a 4-3, he went to a good 3-4 and did good. He was also upset playing behind Mathis and Freeney. 

Leonard had a severe injury, a back injury, was slow as heck when he came back. Missed several games in his last season and a half with the Colts and was grossly overpaid and under performing 

So, do you think fans won't regret losing him. He may improve. I can see him going to the Eagles or Cowboys and performing well.

Were fans upset about losing Okereke? I saw him play at Met Life Stadium earlier this year. He was all over the field making plays.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

What do you mean? By "didn't do anything", do you mean he was not successful here or that he did not do anything to force his departure?

Not to step on Gocolts toes but he was a outside linebacker who was a sack machine in College for TCU?

we tried to convert him to a 4-3 defensive end, and he couldn't pull it off.

Also as TrueBlue posted he didn't put any effort into making a tackle on special teams in a playoff game. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dunk said:

Not to step on Gocolts toes but he was a outside linebacker who was a sack machine in College for TCU?

we tried to convert him to a 4-3 defensive end, and he couldn't pull it off.

Also as TrueBlue posted he didn't put any effort into making a tackle on special teams in a playoff game. 

Got it. Thanks, Dunk. So, GoColts meant that Hughes did not perform well here.

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

He was here at the start of his career and had not produced on the field to that point.  Leonard blew past that years ago.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

So, do you think fans won't regret losing him. He may improve. I can see him going to the Eagles or Cowboys and performing well.

Were fans upset about losing Okereke? I saw him play at Met Life Stadium earlier this year. He was all over the field making plays.

I just don't see how fans can regret losing a player.

We have no control over it.

Now the Front Office they may regret quite a bit, but they are actually making the moves.

Trying to think of a better word for fans feelings towards it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I’m saying that the situations are entirely different. Leonard May one day return to the Darius version not the Shaq version we’ve seen for two years. Most of the posters on here were ready to move on from Leonard last year. If by some chance he becomes an all pro again, I think there might be some people regretting it but the majority, I think will acknowledge the situation it is. 

the only reason Hughes is regretted is because right after we traded him, we fired everyone and switched to the very 3-4 he would have and did excell in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, w87r said:

I just don't see how fans can regret losing a player.

We have no control over it.

Now the Front Office they may regret quite a bit, but they are actually making the moves.

Trying to think of a better adjective for fans feelings towards it.

Maybe regret is not the word.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I’m saying that the situations are entirely different. Leonard May one day return to the Darius version not the Shaq version we’ve seen for two years. Most of the posters on here were ready to move on from Leonard last year. If by some chance he becomes an all pro again, I think there might be some people regretting it but the majority, I think will acknowledge the situation it is. 

the only reason Hughes is regretted is because right after we traded him, we fired everyone and switched to the very 3-4 he would have and did excell in

Okay, it seems like all the fans who responded agree. I got it. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I won't regret it but would be very happy for Leonard even though I am glad we have moved on. It was time and things seemed to be going down fast.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Didn't we play a 3-4 D when we traded him during the Grigaon era? 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ballard has sure  built a great culture with all these character draft picks he has made. Isnt this like the 3rd player who has wanted out in the last 12 months? Thank God he drafts character and guys with high RAS , because he is building one hell of a defensive team!!

Since you’re one of the original Ballard haters this post is not the least bit surprising.    A team has roughly 70 players on it counting the PS.   So to expect 70 players to all be perfect is silly.  

But this is the kind of argument you make.  

Just like a few weeks ago when you called Cooper Kupp a product of Sean McVeys system.   It didn’t even occur to you that if the Rams thought Kupp was a product of the system, they wouldn’t have signed him to a contract making him one of the top-10 highest paid WRs.   

Since you live for moments where you can pat yourself on the back, I just I’d remind you there are two sides to every coin. :hat:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Best move the FO has made in four years.  Now dump/trade Nelson and I am a believer again.  

You'll find something else to complain about I'm sure. In fact you were someone who thought GM > AR, so I'm sure you are ready to % on him next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

It really matters how much Leonard can get back as a player. I imagine the Colts staff determined he was capped, which was the reason he was released him now. If they assumed he wasn't completely capped, then they would have benched him, tried to renegotiate his contract and then release him if that didn't work this off-season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Colt’s vs. Jets Wild Card Game 2011, we had just taken the lead with less then a minute to go, please go back and watch Jerry Hughes on the kickoff. That sealed his fate. He was ticked he was relegated to special teams, he showed us! 

Yeah, here it is, if you want the agony of watching it again:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2013/8/6/4594120/former-colts-first-round-bust-jerry-hughes-suggests-he-didnt-have-a

Definitely happy to come home to this. Leonard was nothing but a liability at this point. He was hurting the team and deserved to be benched. Speed and Franklin will do better playing more snaps without him. Dead weight that needed to be released.

We'll have a cap hit which sucks, but hopefully someone claims him off waivers. @Moosejawcolt great call on Leonard here! :thmup:

• Like 1

Wait wait wait wait wait!!!!

I know exactly why they released Shaq!!! 

it makes total sense now. Irsay realized how crappy his interview was for HBO so to cover up the interview, he orders Shaq cut so all focus in on that. Then after he clears waivers, Ballard gonna re-sign him for double his salary now!!! 

:peek:

:sarcasm:…. Or

is it….

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I like PFF, but I don’t love PFF.   I don’t live and die by what they say. 

I haven’t been impressed by Shaq’s play all season.    That said, I find it interesting that there is tremendous diversity of opinion on why Shaq’s play is so poor.  

1.   Blame Gus Bradley’s system.  

2.   Blame Leonard because he’s healed up but just not good anymore and will never be the same. 

3.  Leonard is healthy enough to play but not yet ready to be the old Shaq.   He might somewhere down the road, and he might never be. 

Lots of different opinions.   I’m mostly in camp 3. 

I'd add to number three that he may not be the old Shaq due to his lack of confidence or maybe just fear of re-injury and going through the last two years again. Not that it's a bad thing necessarily, but he does seem like a guy that would worry and be sensitive to such thoughts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't know what Steichen is even supposed to say. He might just refer the journalists to the statements the team and Irsay made. That's how he was dealing with the Taylor stuff. "First before you ask - I heard about Taylor, I won't comment any further than what the team has said" Or something of the sort. And on followups he will just say "I stand up with the decision the team made", etc.... 

I meant to come back to this earlier. I think it's acceptable to decline to comment on an ongoing contract dispute, especially when there's a prolonged standoff. That's the right thing to do. 

If Steichen doesn't address this situation -- resolved, major contributor being waived on an off day, etc. -- I'll have a big problem with it. The media and the fans rightfully have questions that should be addressed. He should stand and answer them, not deflect with meaningless boilerplate responses.

I'd much rather hear from Ballard, to be honest. 

• Like 4