Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way OT, but still local: Bobby Knight dies

NewColtsFan

I met him at the Pocono Mtn Basketball Camp in 1968. He was coaching Army, and brought Mike (Now called Coach)K- his Team Captain. Coach Knight ‘voluntold’ me I was the guy he would use to demonstrate teaching Defense. He was an *.  From what I hear he was Always an *, all Life Long. But he definitely taught me how to play Defense.  In HS and Work Leagues after HS, no one got by me.  He made you afraid to fail him., even when he was long gone. That’s Teaching…..

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

RIP Bobby...  With Knight, you never had to worry about getting upset by the teams you were supposed to beat.  Out-coached everyone.  Gene Keady had the best record against him if memory serves.

The unheard of Richmond Spiders knocked 1987 NCAA Champ IU out of the Tournament in 88.

• Like 1

Sad to hear an Indiana legend has passed away. Although I’m a Purdue fan I always enjoyed Coach Knights antics and respected his impressive resume. I miss the battles against coach Keady and the Boilers…..

May “The General” rest in peace.

• Like 1

Indiana basketball has never been the same since he left. I rarely missed an IU game during the 80's and 90's. He may have rubbed a lot of people wrong and even some players wrong but he got the best of his players.

His resume speaks for itself:

3 National Championships = 1976, 1981, 1987. Coached the USA to Gold Medal in 1984, a team that featured Michael Jordan. His 76 team is the last team to go undefeated and win it all. 1987 was his best Championship though IMO, it was a 64 team field and the competition was great that season. IMO, he is the 3rd greatest college Coach of all-time. Only John Wooden, and Coach K was better.

RIP, General Knight, there will never be another like you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

National treasure, who made his biggest mark in Indiana

He was one of kind and arguably the biggest face ever in the state of Indiana sports wise. It would be between:

Peyton Manning = because of his Colts career here.

Reggie Miller = because of his NBA career with the Pacers.

Larry Bird = because of his Indiana St. days, being born in Indiana, he took Indiana St. to the NCAA Finals with a 33-0 record in 1979 as being the best player in the country. Also, he coached the Pacers from 1998-2000, taking Jordan 7 games in the ECFinals in 98, and he coached them to the Finals in 2000. 

Then you have Bobby! IU Basketball was the biggest thing around here from 1976-around 1994 until the Pacers got really good in 1994. I vaguely remember the 1976 team. I was only 4 years old going on 5 at the time. I remember bits and parts of it because my dad loved Bobby Knight and they were on here locally before cable was even out. I remember their 1981 team like it was yesterday. I actually met and worked out with Ray Tolbert and talked with Landon Turner at Bally's a few times back in the day. That team also had Isiah Thomas on it. The 1987 Championship team was my baby, I was in high school then and had all bragging rights during that school year. Steve Alford and Keith Smart was a great backcourt!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Legend.  My dad "trained" me to be a basketball player so I could play for coach knight.  I still have a great jumper,  but I only got to 6' and sat the bench.   RIP coach knight

By your user name, I am going to guess you're contemporary with Brian Evans and Damon Bailey?

17 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

When I was growing up, here in Indiana basketball was a religion.  Bobby Knight was the High Priest, and the Motion Offense was the Holy Sacrament.  That's the way it was.  *sigh*

I lived in Richmond for one year(coming from Ohio) and it was all new to me. One kid who was a Purdue fan and another kid yelled at him "The name of the movie is Hoosiers, not Boilermakers!!!"

RIP Coach

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:04 PM, jvan1973 said:

Legend.  My dad "trained" me to be a basketball player so I could play for coach knight.  I still have a great jumper,  but I only got to 6' and sat the bench.   RIP coach knight

Hey, riding the bench on a D1 school in a power conference is quite an accomplishment!  

8 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Hey, riding the bench on a D1 school in a power conference is quite an accomplishment!  

No.   Lol. I rode the bench in high school.   I didn't make that clear.    I would have loved to have just been a janitor in that locker room though

Great coach who is rightfully a legend.

For those who harp on his behavior and tactics, keep in mind he was born in 1940 and grew up in a different era where certain behaviors are not only normalized, but also encouraged and rewarded. One man's wilderness is another man's theme park.

I can relate because I grew up in Miami during the 1980s-early 90s crack epidemic times where discipline was strongly instilled both at home and in school, because of the circumstances of my living. It was exactly like how the movies portrayed it (and its sister city Los Angeles); e.g. Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Scarface, The Substitute, Pain & Gain. Most houses had a "beware of dog" sign. If you tried to use someone's driveway to do a 3-point-turn in a cul-de-dac (to exit the dead end), expect the homeowner to come out and brandish his weapon. In school, if I got a D on a test, teachers would tell me "you get a grade like this again, we're sending you back to whatever country you came from."

No, I am not advocating that we reinstate nor continue those behaviors. Leave no doubt, those were good lessons in life for me and I can't imagine living life now without them. I still visit Miami on a yearly basis and feel very uplifted each time I go back.

On 11/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, jvan1973 said:

No.   Lol. I rode the bench in high school.   I didn't make that clear.    I would have loved to have just been a janitor in that locker room though

Ohhhhhh ok lol.  I've been a die hard IU fan since I could barely walk, so I was literally thinking of old rosters from 92-96 and trying to remember who was about 6'0 and riding the bench back then 😂.  

The guy who defined Indiana sports until Peyton Manning came along.  Complicated legacy to retell because you can’t ignore the anger issues but no question he’s a legend.  If you had a Mount Rushmore of Indiana sports I think it’s him, Peyton, AJ Foyt, and Reggie Miller.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The guy who defined Indiana sports until Peyton Manning came along.  Complicated legacy to retell because you can’t ignore the anger issues but no question he’s a legend.  If you had a Mount Rushmore of Indiana sports I think it’s him, Peyton, AJ Foyt, and Reggie Miller.

I agree with your Mt Rushmore on 3 of those. Larry Bird would be on mine instead of Foyt. Here's why. Larry was born here in Indiana and took Indiana St to the NCAA Finals at 33-0. Then he coached the Pacers from 1998-2000, went to the ECFinals all 3 years and Finals in 2000. The Pacers in 1998 gave Michael Jordan his toughest series in 1998. 

Peyton

Bob Knight

Reggie

Larry Bird

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree.  Regarding Reggie, his team totally let him down during the "Malace at the Palace" year.  That was his year to get a ring, and I really think they would have won it that year. They were showing they were the best team in the league until the brawl.  All the pieces were in place that year.  Still chaps my A that he didn't get a ring because of the immaturity of that team.  

2 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

I agree.  Regarding Reggie, his team totally let him down during the "Malace at the Palace" year.  That was his year to get a ring, and I really think they would have won it that year. They were showing they were the best team in the league until the brawl.  All the pieces were in place that year.  Still chaps my A that he didn't get a ring because of the immaturity of that team.  

Detroit knew we were better in 2005. We were smoking them in that game where the fight broke out. Ben Wallace started the whole thing and didn't even get punished. I still think our best team was 1998. We played the Bulls perfectly until the last 3 minutes of Game7.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Detroit knew we were better in 2005. We were smoking them in that game where the fight broke out. Ben Wallace started the whole thing and didn't even get punished. I still think our best team was 1998. We played the Bulls perfectly until the last 3 minutes of Game7.

Yeah, still ticks me off thinking about it, the whole situation.  Ben Wallace starting it, the * throwing a beer at Artest, and all the rest of the nasty Detroit fans.  I mean yeah, if I was a player, who knows what I would have done if people treated me like that? At the time I definitely sided with our players.  It's just that looking back, I wish cooler heads had prevailed...Yeah, that 98 team was probably our best.  We had it!  Just couldn't hang on.  One thing that stuck out to me after I read the game 7 box score is that they outrebounded us by well over 20, and had a crap ton of offensive rebounds. I remember thinking that that was the difference in the game.  Something that wasn't very noticeable while watching, but it made the difference. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

Yeah, still ticks me off thinking about it, the whole situation.  Ben Wallace starting it, the * throwing a beer at Artest, and all the rest of the nasty Detroit fans.  I mean yeah, if I was a player, who knows what I would have done if people treated me like that? At the time I definitely sided with our players.  It's just that looking back, I wish cooler heads had prevailed...Yeah, that 98 team was probably our best.  We had it!  Just couldn't hang on.  One thing that stuck out to me after I read the game 7 box score is that they outrebounded us by well over 20, and had a crap ton of offensive rebounds. I remember thinking that that was the difference in the game.  Something that wasn't very noticeable while watching, but it made the difference. 

Rodman killed us on the boards, Kukoc actually was their best player that day in Game 7.

On 11/1/2023 at 8:04 PM, jvan1973 said:

I still have the great jump shot and was a great rebounder but like you, I'm only six foot.  I loved how Coach Knight got his players to play as a team. He also made them into good people. In this year's team, there is too much individual play to much NBA style and that would have never flown with Coach Knight and that's one of the reasons why Coach Knight won so much. Woodson recruits great athletes not necessarily great basketball players who will do everything for the team you can't win championships that way. 

• Like 1