Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

MPJ Wants Bigger Role in Offense

kymd82222

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2743903/amp

He basically says that he wasn't targeted hardly at all and says something to the effect of "Maybe I'm not a big part of this offense".  I'm paraphrasing.  I really like MPJ.  We can debate whether he's a legit #1 or a really good #2, but either way, he's important to the team.  It seems like he's a little frustrated and thinks he isn't getting targeted enough.  The problem is that I'm not sure what more that he wants.  He's on pace for 102 catches.  The article says that he's the #1 target on the team and is targeted 9th most in the entire NFL.  So he IS getting targeted plenty.   I posted this because MPJ has always seemed really happy to be a Colt and has always seemed to be a great teammate.  With this being a contract year, I hope that he doesn't search for greener grass after his contract is up.  

• Like 4

i was confused when i saw this article pop up on my google feed, I feel as if his involvement is fine, especially with the emergence of downs, and the reality of us having 2 good running backs. 

Not sure how many more targets he is wanting. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2743903/amp

He basically says that he wasn't targeted hardly at all and says something to the effect of "Maybe I'm not a big part of this offense".  I'm paraphrasing.  I really like MPJ.  We can debate whether he's a legit #1 or a really good #2, but either way, he's important to the team.  It seems like he's a little frustrated and thinks he isn't getting targeted enough.  The problem is that I'm not sure what more that he wants.  He's on pace for 102 catches.  The article says that he's the #1 target on the team and is targeted 9th most in the entire NFL.  So he IS getting targeted plenty.   I posted this because MPJ has always seemed really happy to be a Colt and has always seemed to be a great teammate.  With this being a contract year, I hope that he doesn't search for greener grass after his contract is up.  

Hea in a contract year. He wants stats. He knows right now his value for next year is totally dependent upon what he does this year.  Stats or not, Pittman is who he is. A possession receiver with no wow factor. 

• Like 7

Pittman is seeing Downs ascending and doesn’t like it. Even Pierce had 3 catches on 3 targets.  Pittman had 2 catches on 5 targets.  He wants lots of targets so he can put up mediocre stats with those targets in a contract year.  I say give the guys with more big playmaking potential the extra targets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AKB said:

i was confused when i saw this article pop up on my google feed, I feel as if his involvement is fine, especially with the emergence of downs, and the reality of us having 2 good running backs. 

Not sure how many more targets he is wanting. 

Nah he needs to be more involved  , but most of mishews ints come when targeting  Pittman 

I think this might be Pittman’s first sign of real frustration in his 3.5 years as a Colt.  For now,  I wouldn’t read too much into it, unless of course if he does it again.  I’d be surprised.   He and his wife are smart and savvy.   

I remember late in his career, TYHilton  made a comment out of frustration and people here were shocked.   But it never happened again.  And that’s what I’d expect from Pitt.   I’m guessing he’ll calm down. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Pittman is seeing Downs ascending and doesn’t like it. Even Pierce had 3 catches on 3 targets.  Pittman had 2 catches on 5 targets.  He wants lots of targets so he can put up mediocre stats with those targets in a contract year.  I say give the guys with more big playmaking potential the extra targets.

Did he not have a 75 yard td?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Michael Pittman has as clean a record as any Colts player the last 4 years.   He’s 100 percent a team player.   He hasn’t uttered a single negative word about his contract situation.   He’s always been about the team. 

Now he makes a comment after a frustrating loss and you conclude he’s jealous of a teammate.   According to you, he’s not happy for his teammate’s success,  he’s jealous of him.   

You may follow the Colts wins and losses, but apparently you don’t follow the players too closely.   You don’t like Pittman the player so you decide to rip Pittman the person.    

How sad….     :facepalm:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Michael Pittman has as clean a record as any Colts player the last 4 years.   He’s 100 percent a team player.   He hasn’t uttered a single negative word about his contract situation.   He’s always been about the team. 

Now he makes a comment after a frustrating loss and you conclude he’s jealous of a teammate.   According to you, he’s not happy for his teammate’s success,  he’s jealous of him.   

You may follow the Colts wins and losses, but apparently you don’t follow the players too closely.   You don’t like Pittman the player so you decide to rip Pittman the person.    

Couldn't have said it better.   People take a statement and characterterize that person entirely on it.  They lost,  he was upset.   Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So you don't think his comment was a bit ridiculous, especially given how high his target share is already?

As Zaire says, he just wants to be able to feed his family lol

45 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Meh.. i want to find the statement on video.. I doubt Pitt was being serious just by going off of what we've seen from his personality 

Yup. I could see him saying maybe I am not part of this offense in a joking manner. I really do not like Nate Atkins as. Reporter. He is so bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

So you don't think his comment was a bit ridiculous, especially given how high his target share is already?

As Zaire says, he just wants to be able to feed his family lol

Even if it’s ridiculous…..     so? 

As I noted before, Pitt has as clean a record of any Colts player.   So he said something ridiculous after a very frustrating loss.   His first silly moment as a Colt in 3.5 years.   

My reaction is….  Who cares?   Cut him some slack.   If he makes more silly comments then maybe there’s an issue.   Otherwise, I think he’ll calm down. 

• Like 4

"I love Pitt," general manager Chris Ballard said back in August. "... I don't mind guys that are emotional and care because they want to win and guys that want the ball. That stuff doesn't bother me. I would rather have a guy like Pitt who wants it and wants to win and does all the little things competitively right instead of a guy that just accepts what his role is."

- Chris Ballard

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/10/24/michael-pittman-jr-s-fierce-competitiveness-is-what-the-colts-need/71296389007/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Pittman was like a good-looking kid in 11th grade who had his run of the girls because he was the only good-looking guy in school. Enter Downs and suddenly the girls aren't solely focused on Pittman anymore and his ego/feelings are taking a hit because of it. 

Sure it could be due to a loss but it's certainly unusual timing for him to say he's "not a big part of the offense" on the day Down's was clearly better and did more with his opportunities than Pittman.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KB said:

"I love Pitt," general manager Chris Ballard said back in August. "... I don't mind guys that are emotional and care because they want to win and guys that want the ball. That stuff doesn't bother me. I would rather have a guy like Pitt who wants it and wants to win and does all the little things competitively right instead of a guy that just accepts what his role is."

- Chris Ballard

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2023/10/24/michael-pittman-jr-s-fierce-competitiveness-is-what-the-colts-need/71296389007/

Great quote here by Ballard.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I think Downs  might be a better fit with Minshew but MP would be a good fit with Richardson 

Hes still getting targets and broke a long one but they had some frustrating misses and interceptions going his way too

We will see a lot of crossers with Minshew and Pittman is great at those.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Pittman and the rest of the team saw how JT cashed in by being a “me” guy. 

12 hours ago, AKB said:

are we gonna see a situation emerge with Pittman now that Taylor's has been settled down?

This is one of the reasons I thought the way we dealt with Taylor was so bad. Ballard went back on everything he was saying in the off-season and rewarded Taylor for faking an injury, asking out and generally being a nuisance for the team. The players see that and they act accordingly. If they know making noise and drama will get you what you want they will make noise. I would be surprised if this will be the last similar case in the coming years. Ballard set the table and now everybody will want to eat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

Pittman was like a good-looking kid in 11th grade who had his run of the girls because he was the only good-looking guy in school. Enter Downs and suddenly the girls aren't solely focused on Pittman anymore and his ego/feelings are taking a hit because of it. 

Sure it could be due to a loss but it's certainly unusual timing for him to say he's "not a big part of the offense" on the day Down's was clearly better and did more with his opportunities than Pittman.

Pittman had 2 catches.  One was a 75 yard td.  I would say he did the most with his opportunities 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Pittman had 2 catches.  One was a 75 yard td.  I would say he did the most with his opportunities 

A bit selective especially when drawing a comparison...

Pittman 2 catches on 5 targets for 83 yards. 75 yard TD pass

Downs 5 catches on 6 targets for 125 yards. 59 yard TD pass

Pittman may have done something with his 2 catches, but as I said, Down's did more with his opportunities than Pittman.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

A bit selective especially when drawing a comparison...

Pittman 2 catches on 5 targets for 83 yards. 75 yard TD pass

Downs 5 catches on 6 targets for 125 yards. 59 yard TD pass

Pittman may have done something with his 2 catches, but as I said, Down's did more with his opportunities than Pittman.

they also play different roles, Downs isn't pulling the outside corners, he's in the slot and is good at what he does, and he gets targeted more vs backers, safeties, and third corners. . outside passes are completed at a lower rate naturally.

both are different players, not sure why we are comparing them this way 

• Like 2

If he’s frustrated, then he should continue to work on his craft at get better at creating separation. Downs is getting the work he’s doing because he consistently creates separation from defenders. 

Pittman has been the de facto WR#1 since he’s been here, with no one to really challenge him so he’s gotten a lot of targets and manufactured touches. Now there’s actually someone else who can do what he does and probably does it better, and he’s seen his target share drop. 

IMO this only fuels the idea that he’s not a true WR1. Really number 1 receivers don’t have this issue because they’re that hood. Hopkins never had an issue with targets with any QB.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AKB said:

they also play different roles, Downs isn't pulling the outside corners, he's in the slot and is good at what he does, and he gets targeted more vs backers, safeties, and third corners. . outside passes are completed at a lower rate naturally.

both are different players, not sure why we are comparing them this way 

Different roles in this offense but they both run routes, both battle defenders, both make catches, and both break tackles and last week Down's was objectively better. 

The Colts currently have 4 losses. Nobody finds it odd that Pittman says he isn't a large enough part of the offense after this particular loss in which he was outperformed by Downs? I wonder why he didnt say this after the Jags loss when he had 100+ yards? 

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

Different roles in this offense but they both run routes, both battle defenders, both make catches, and both break tackles and last week Down's was objectively better. 

The Colts currently have 4 losses. Nobody finds it odd that Pittman says he isn't a large enough part of the offense after this particular loss in which he was outperformed by Downs? I wonder why he didnt say this after the Jags loss when he had 100+ yards? 

tight ends do all the same things, we gonna compare mallory and downs? they even share the trait of rookie? 

all im saying is it doesn't matter. they both will have their number called more or less depending on opposing scheme. we aren't gonna force feed one guy, and to argue that downs is more effective overall i guess you can argue it based on stats of that individual game, but if he's catching balls in gaps between zones, instead of with a guy drape don him, or if he has a higher volume based on scheme, or if his average targeted depth is shorter, i mean there are so many compounding variables that the comparison is pointless. and they're totally different archetypes of the receiver, at that. 

HA!  I kind of saw this coming, and if you’ve seen my posts on MPJ you know why, but I’ll explain below:

I’m assuming (keyword: assuming) that MPJ isn’t necessarily complaining about his role in its entirety per-say.  He’s our most targeted receiver and #9 in targets in the league. So it can’t be the AMOUNT of targets but WHERE he’s being targeted.  

Even though MPJ is averaging 11.8yds/catch right now, it’s misleading.  He’s caught some deep balls but that number is inflated by those long run plays…he’s had quite a few.  But I’ve been saying it all year in these debates, MPJ can’t get open deep.  Short to medium range hes elite, deep not so much.  And that’s what I think keeps me from giving him that #1 WR nameplate.

Josh Downs will eventually become our number one receiver, even if MPJ is on the team.  JD affects the game at ALL levels.  He knows how to find open spots whether he’s running a route that’s short, medium, or long.

some of you may be surprised by MPJ words, but I’m not.  Sorry MPJ, you can’t expect the coach and qb to just chuck up 50/50 balls if you can’t get separation deep.  We get it MPJ, you’re playing for a new contract and you’re probably being told you’re going to get a certain number because these guys do this (alpha WR1s) and you’re more in-line with these guys (WR2s).  Don’t complain about it, go out there and earn it.  

I guess we should expect to see more deep throws to MPJ.

• Like 2

I didn't click so didn't read the story. But like someone above said a bigger role means bigger stats and a potentially bigger contract......nothing wrong with looking out for yourself and family financially if that in deed is his motive. 

I don't follow players but ran up on him on YouTube.. He really came across likeable with a good personality. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

This is one of the reasons I thought the way we dealt with Taylor was so bad. Ballard went back on everything he was saying in the off-season and rewarded Taylor for faking an injury, asking out and generally being a nuisance for the team. The players see that and they act accordingly. If they know making noise and drama will get you what you want they will make noise. I would be surprised if this will be the last similar case in the coming years. Ballard set the table and now everybody will want to eat. 

I would believe that Pittman prefers being a FA so he can go where he and his wife want to go. He also wants stats that will add many Millions of dollars to his next contract. Oh he is yapping for Dollars 💰