Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[JT O'Sullivan] Anthony Richardson Week (Merge)4 vs Rams Analysis

stitches

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Stephen Holder said on the radio this afternoon that he had a convo with Ballard after the loss Sunday. He said Ballard told him he is usually really mad after a loss. He said ballard told him having Richardson gives him peace and he wasn’t mad at all.  That’s the feeling we had with Luck. You never thought you were out of a game.

Ya I had that same vibe. You could almost feel the comeback coming. Twas disappointing AR and the O didn’t get a chance in OT. They were on quite a roll.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Stephen Holder said on the radio this afternoon that he had a convo with Ballard after the loss Sunday. He said Ballard told him he is usually really mad after a loss. He said ballard told him having Richardson gives him peace and he wasn’t mad at all.  That’s the feeling we had with Luck. You never thought you were out of a game.

Considering the defenses overtime meltdown... Maybe he should have been at least a little mad?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Considering the defenses overtime meltdown... Maybe he should have been at least a little mad?

Nah. I think colts number one priority this year was Richardson and getting him ready for 24. Ballard will fix the secondary in the off-season now he has his QB. Plus we have our LT too. So now he can go out and actually build around a young QB which hasn’t been able to do since Luck retired.  It’s hard to go all out when you don’t have a QB to build around. Now that’s finally solved this will be a big off-season.

• Like 5

JT is a mega fan. The number of wows he says watching AR reminds me of how he sounds watching Mahomes.

This QB has under 20 games professionally and collegiate right?

May the gods of football grant this guy health, i think Morocco Brown may have been right - he's a purple spotted unicorn. If this coaching crew can focus on teaching him.....watch. out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Really enjoyed it. Loved how Steichen used the same formation with the same pulling Q to get a QB run as well as a flat TD later to Ogletree. It is definitely obvious this team has the talent to compete, but like that double move Granson ran showed, like JT alluded to, if you have only so many playmakers, your options are limited.

Ballard would be really foolish to not give AR weapons next year. Like Chase for Burrow, Diggs for Allen, A J Brown for Hurts, that would take our push versus good teams to positive in the W-L column.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Really enjoyed in. Loved how Steichen used the same formation with the same pulling Q to get a QB run as well as a flat TD later to Ogletree. It is definitely obvious this team has the talent to compete, but like that double move Granson ran showed, like JT alluded to, if you have only so many playmakers, your options are limited.

Ballard would be really foolish to not give AR weapons next year. Like Chase for Burrow, Diggs for Allen, A J Brown for Hurts, that would take our push versus good teams to positive in the W-L column.

Not to take away from the analysis topic, who are the WRs possibly hitting free agency next year? I read somewhere else that discussions were around Pittman and Higgins, so that batch is getting out of rookie contract, I presume... who'd you think child could Target for wide receiver group? 

14 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Really enjoyed it. Loved how Steichen used the same formation with the same pulling Q to get a QB run as well as a flat TD later to Ogletree. It is definitely obvious this team has the talent to compete, but like that double move Granson ran showed, like JT alluded to, if you have only so many playmakers, your options are limited.

We have to remember how high bengals drafted to get chase. We won’t pay a FA but I bet Ballard drafts another WR high if there is one there worthy of a first. Now he can concentrate on everything since he has a QB and LT.

3 hours ago, G8R said:

Ya I had that same vibe. You could almost feel the comeback coming. Twas disappointing AR and the O didn’t get a chance in OT. They were on quite a roll.

They had 2 chances in regulation.  A failed fourth down conversion that could have been a FG try, and our last drive that went 3 and out.  Still I feel excited about him pushing the ball down field more!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nah. I think colts number one priority this year was Richardson and getting him ready for 24. Ballard will fix the secondary in the off-season now he has his QB. Plus we have our LT too. So now he can go out and actually build around a young QB which hasn’t been able to do since Luck retired.  It’s hard to go all out when you don’t have a QB to build around. Now that’s finally solved this will be a big off-season.

I’ll preface my comment by saying that I’m NOT predicting this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens….   

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard spends the next year or two rebuilding this roster to accommodate Steichen.   So I won’t be surprised if the Colts trade Braden Smith for draft capital and they move Raimann over to RT and they draft one of the premium LT’s who will be in the 24 draft.  That new LT might be better than Raimann.   It would give the Colts two young inexpensive OT’s, plus added picks, plus moving Smiths contract off the books giving the Colts more money to spend.  Same with Ryan Kelly.   Trade him coming off a good healthy season so you can get decent pick(s).  

Of course, I wouldn’t be surprised of NONE of that happens.   But I think the Colts will soon be entering a window where ANYTHING is possible.   From my perspective,  this upcoming off-season, all bets are off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ll preface my comment by saying that I’m NOT predicting this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this happens….   

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ballard spends the next year or two rebuilding this roster to accommodate Steichen.   So I won’t be surprised if the Colts trade Braden Smith for draft capital and they move Raimann over to RT and they draft one of the premium LT’s who will be in the 24 draft.  That new LT might be better than Raimann.   It would give the Colts two young inexpensive OT’s, plus added picks, plus moving Smiths contract off the books giving the Colts more money to spend.  Same with Ryan Kelly.   Trade him coming off a good healthy season so you can get decent pick(s).  

Of course, I wouldn’t be surprised of NONE of that happens.   But I think the Colts will soon be entering a window where ANYTHING is possible.   From my perspective,  this upcoming off-season, all bets are off. 

You don’t move a good LT to RT and get rid of a good RT. There is a serious lack of talent available league wide for OL players that many teams can’t even find average talent. The best thing they can do to help Richardson to improve is getting good receivers not more OL. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously - It could happen.  When you look at the players available at picks 4-9, right now my money for a Sure Bet is on Notre Dame LT Joe Alt.  The other players are more reputation than production so far.  DE Jared Verse hasn't gotten a sack yet.  CB Kool Aid McKinstry hasn't gotten an interception yet.  But Alt has demonstrated ability.  And if we drafted him, then we would have an inexpensive abundance at OT, and guys who are both getting older and more expensive that could be expendable.

Your projection isn't all that crazy.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

You don’t move a good LT to RT and get rid of a good RT. There is a serious lack of talent available league wide for OL players that many teams can’t even find average talent. The best thing they can do to help Richardson to improve is getting good receivers not more OL. 

Again, I’m NOT predicting this….   I’m just not ruling anything out. 

I think part of the equation would be where do the Colts pick?   If the Colts are out of the top-10 then I don’t think it would happen.  I don’t see Ballard trading up in the first round.   But if the season somehow goes south and the Colts are picking around 5-8, then I think maybe it could happen so Ballard could trade down a little and still take a top player in what looks like a very good draft. 

As for trading a top talent like Smith….  You have to trade talent in order to get high draft capital.   Smith could bring that.  Moving Raimann would be easy, and there are two premium LT in this class, so I wouldn’t rule it out.   It would allow the Colts to re-set the organization more to Steichen’s liking.   Are there other good vets that the Colts could trade and bring good draft capital?  In 24, I’m thinking Smith and Kelly.   In 25, it’s not clear, at least not to me.  

Did I mention I’m NOT predicting this?   I’m just thinking out loud about what I think COULD happen in Feb or March.  

Hope that clarifies….   

11 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Not to take away from the analysis topic, who are the WRs possibly hitting free agency next year? I read somewhere else that discussions were around Pittman and Higgins, so that batch is getting out of rookie contract, I presume... who'd you think Ballard could Target for wide receiver group? 

Yes, paying Pittman and Higgins would be tough. Ballard tends to extend his own. Higgins might want $22-25 mil. a year while Pittman might get $17-19 mil. A year, IMO. I doubt we do both.

I can see Ballard drafting the other Ohio State WR opposite MHJ or Iowa CB both rated in the 15s which is where I think we pick. 

Then we double dip on Day 2 for pass catchers, IMO. Outside Tee Higgins, the only guy that moves the needle is Mike Evans for me amongst free agents next year. The draft is deep at WR in the early rounds, so a re-signing of Pittman and drafting a couple plus waiting for the right WR for a trade is what we should expect. 

However not sure what kind of room we can generate if we part with Shaq Leonard.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Of course, the solution would be to move Smith to RG, French to C, and have Freeland start at RT when he is good enough.  Hopefully he will not be a liability as a starting RT in a few months.  Then, draft another mid round OT as the backup/developmental swing tackle.  Since we got lucky with getting an immediate starting caliber LT with a 3rd round pick, it allows Ballard to direct first round capital for a receiver this draft.

If we're not stubborn about letting Freeland develop into that RT, then we don't have to waste a high round pick on an olineman when our skilled positions are still average/below average.

32 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yes, paying Pittman and Higgins would be tough. Ballard tends to extend his own. Higgins might want $22-25 mil. a year while Pittman might get $17-19 mil. A year, IMO. I doubt we do both.

I can see Ballard drafting the other Ohio State WR opposite MHJ or Iowa CB both rated in the 15s which is where I think we pick. 

Then we double dip on Day 2 for pass catchers, IMO. Outside Tee Higgins, the only guy that moves the needle is Mike Evans for me amongst free agents next year. The draft is deep at WR in the early rounds, so a re-signing of Pittman and drafting a couple plus waiting for the right WR for a trade is what we should expect. 

However not sure what kind of room we can generate if we part with Shaq Leonard.

Prepare yourself. Pittman will be 20 or over. Him and Higgins are twins and will get close to the same.

43 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Prepare yourself. Pittman will be 20 or over. Him and Higgins are twins and will get close to the same.

The guaranteed money at signing is more important.

If Pittman gets 4 years $76 mil. but with $45 mil. guaranteed and Tee Higgins gets 4 years $88 mil. but with $40 mil. guaranteed, as a WR, we know what most WRs will take. If Pittman gets 4 years $80 mil. but with $40 mil. guaranteed, I will take that as a win for the Colts.

Christian Kirk got 4 years $72 mil. with $37 mil. guaranteed, for an approximate baseline. A. J. Brown got 4 years $100 mil. recently with just $40 mil. guaranteed at signing out of that. 

Here are WR contracts for you to look at:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/wide-receiver/limit-100/

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think part of the equation would be where do the Colts pick?   If the Colts are out of the top-10 then I don’t think it would happen.  I don’t see Ballard trading up in the first round.   But if the season somehow goes south and the Colts are picking around 5-8, then I think maybe it could happen so Ballard could trade down a little and still take a top player in what looks like a very good draft. 

As for trading a top talent like Smith….  You have to trade talent in order to get high draft capital.   Smith could bring that.  Moving Raimann would be easy, and there are two premium LT in this class, so I wouldn’t rule it out.   It would allow the Colts to re-set the organization more to Steichen’s liking.   Are there other good vets that the Colts could trade and bring good draft capital?  In 24, I’m thinking Smith and Kelly.   In 25, it’s not clear, at least not to me.  

Did I mention I’m NOT predicting this?   I’m just thinking out loud about what I think COULD happen in Feb or March.  

Hope that clarifies….   

You aren't trading down from 5-8 and then landing a premium OT.  You definitely aren't trading one of the better young RT in the league to take a CHANCE at both OT positions....and possibly making both worse.

• Shive changed the title to [JT O'Sullivan] Anthony Richardson Week (Merge)4 vs Rams Analysis
6 hours ago, DougDew said:

Of course, the solution would be to move Smith to RG, French to C, and have Freeland start at RT when he is good enough.  Hopefully he will not be a liability as a starting RT in a few months.  Then, draft another mid round OT as the backup/developmental swing tackle.  Since we got lucky with getting an immediate starting caliber LT with a 3rd round pick, it allows Ballard to direct first round capital for a receiver this draft.

If we're not stubborn about letting Freeland develop into that RT, then we don't have to waste a high round pick on an olineman when our skilled positions are still average/below average.

One of the goals under Steichen, though may be to make the O-line less expensive with younger players and use those resources to make our skill positions more dynamic. 

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don’t mean to make too much of how you described something….   But I don’t understand you calling Raimann “an immediate starting caliber LT.”   ???

To me, an immediate starting caliber player is starting at a high level week one.   That wasn’t Raimann.   He was beyond terrible for about 10-11 weeks, then the light went on around week 12.    It doesn’t look like the Colts view Freeland the same way.   He’s only been used on xtra points and FGs until this week, where fortunately he did a decent job.   But the Colts have not been treating Freeland as they did Raimann.    So I don’t see an apples to apples comparison that you seem to see. 

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t mean to make too much of how you described something….   But I don’t understand you calling Raimann “an immediate starting caliber LT.”   ???

To me, an immediate starting caliber player is starting at a high level week one.   That wasn’t Raimann.   He was beyond terrible for about 10-11 weeks, then the light went on around week 12.    It doesn’t look like the Colts view Freeland the same way.   He’s only been used on xtra points and FGs until this week, where fortunately he did a decent job.   But the Colts have not been treating Freeland as they did Raimann.    So I don’t see an apples to apples comparison that you seem to see. 

He has been one of the best LT this year and is only improving. Why are we even talking about moving him and shaking up the line again?

This team has plenty of issues that need to be fixed, why create more?

24 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

He has been one of the best LT this year and is only improving. Why are we even talking about moving him and shaking up the line again?

He’s not.  At least not in the post you quoted.

20 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Exactly. The Great ones feel the pressure in the pocket and make plays under pressure because they are still looking down field.

This is some great tape on our oh so young purple spotted Unicorn.

It is so hard to put together a real Super Bowl contender. Prayers for good health and a 17 game season for AR. 

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hope that clarifies….   

I know you're not predicting but I still think it is a ridiculous idea, you don't move on from a tackle for draft capital when you most likely won't get a 2nd rounder and create a new hole in the roster that would need to be filled with a higher end pick, when you can keep what you have and use the draft capital you have to fill already existing holes in the roster. You also don't move a LT to RT when they are playing well at LT.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Because you could have TWO tackles both on their rookie contract.   That would give the Colts more flexibility going forward. 

If you want to trade a veteran player to acquire good draft picks, which veteran would you move?  Honestly, who?

You could move Smith who — as you noted — is playing very well.   But let’s not forget many posters here have been complaining about him for years.   It’s hard to trade him coming off a down year.   The time to do it is coming off a good year if you think you can replace him in the draft.  

Look, I’m just thinking out loud.  I’m not banging the table for this.   Odds are high it’s not happening.   But I thought it would be an interesting discussion point.   Most here agree with you.   Few agree with me.  

56 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I know you're not predicting but I still think it is a ridiculous idea, you don't move on from a tackle for draft capital when you most likely won't get a 2nd rounder and create a new hole in the roster that would need to be filled with a higher end pick, when you can keep what you have and use the draft capital you have to fill already existing holes in the roster. You also don't move a LT to RT when they are playing well at LT.

So you think Smith is good enough to keep, but NOT good enough to get a second round pick?    I think that argument doesn’t hold up very well.