Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson is our guy

Lucky Colts Fan

16 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I liked what I saw overall. Not a lot of passes in stride but that could be the WRs not being very good (Pitt was quite good today though). The pick wasn’t good but as many have pointed out, first game in the NFL. Should be exciting to see him develop and where his ceiling is.

At the time of the pick, AR was sitting at 119.8 QBR and 68.9% accuracy.  That’s pretty dang good for his first game. I’m excited to see where he’s at by seasons end

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

At the time of the pick, AR was sitting at 119.8 QBR and 68.9% accuracy.  That’s pretty dang good for his first game. I’m excited to see where he’s at by seasons end

I am stoked with the team right now. There is alot of new on our team. We will figure it out. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Needs more play makers around him

This.

It was and still is my biggest fear.

Ballard was asked if not having JT would stunt AR's development. They should've asked if not a legit receiving room having would. It would've been more accurate.

With the news that broke earlier today that the Colts asked for Watson in the GB trade offer and earlier Waddle news, it tells me the Colts realize this bigtime.

Go Colts!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

I was worried that the NFL would be too “big” for him as he had limited college experience, but he showed he has what it takes.  There is still a long way to go, but if the coaching staff can keep protecting and building with this kid the sky is the limit. 

He doesn't really seem to get rattled. He seems wise beyond his years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I was at the Indy game. It was fun as all get until the end. Had a friend texting me the whole time complaining about his Panthers.

It was classic Reich early, opting for a ridiculous 4th down gamble instead of taking the easy FG to go up 3 straight away. He hasn’t learned a damn thing about not giving away points early and gifting teams momentum swings.

He looked solid in his first-ever game against a very good Jaguars team. It's hard to win without a running attack and no elite players at the WR or TE spots. Chris Ballard needs to get aggressive and do whatever it takes to get talent around AR5. You literally have your QB and LT on their rookie deals. No excuses!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yup.  And the obvious one is currently on pup.  Need to get him back on the field week 5.  That should be priority number one.

Do you think we’re contenders with this team plus Taylor?

If yes, I appreciate your enthusiasm. Bit disagree.

If no, then let’s see how it all plays out and not force Taylor by paying him more than he’s worth

3 hours ago, EasyE said:

I want to ask this.

If Richardson shows a ton of improvement but Colts record is bad enough to take Caleb Williams.

What do Colts do?

Draft to build around a AR team or pick Caleb?

AR is going to get better IMO but fans are going to freak about the Losses.

I also say, Colts were not terrible today... Growing pains!!!

You make the cardinals pay through the nose to move up one spot and then take Marvin Harrison jr with the second pick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patagonia Chris said:

Is a deep threat and running back going to fix his accuracy issues or his footwork? 

How many QB’s have you worked with over the course of your life?

He completed over 65% of his passes today and if you think not having Taylor would not have made a difference in the overall impact of the game, then you need to watch more football. I have watched for almost 50 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I know it’s just 1 game but I know a certain OP rhyming with Roger Moore saying AR wasn’t fit to start Day 1 and Jordan Love won’t amount to much, and Anthony Gordon was awesome!!! :) 

Sorry didn’t include link in post:

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

AR did fine today, and the one thing most everyone was worried about was a his %. He looked pretty accurate to me without a run game which says a lot.

There are a lot of that OP kinds here. They coach at some level and act like they know everything. There’s that coach who keeps coming back (whose thread I quoted above), there’s a former scout/whatever that came back after Josh Allen’s Year 3 (not Year 1, Year 2 but Year 3), and so on…they just amuse me despite knowing that we never claim to know more than the coaches and are just opining on the games and players here.

Yet they get their pan**** in a bunch. Lol 😀

Sometimes I feel that they’d rather be right than wanting the Colts to win.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

It was classic Reich early, opting for a ridiculous 4th down gamble instead of taking the easy FG to go up 3 straight away. He hasn’t learned a damn thing about not giving away points early and gifting teams momentum swings.

Had a little of that today from our coach as well unfortunately :(

listen to the guy who has covered this team since 84 and has seen really bad QBs start their careers and really good QBs start theirs careers.  Today was a start.  It was a very conservative game plan by design to build Richardson’s confidence and work on developing him.  My only concerns today were his accuracy needs work and the fact he’s already banged up one game in.  The Colts and him have to do a better job protecting him from himself at times.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If this team is bad enuff to draft Williams, we will know many things. Ballard is done, the talent on this team is horrid and Richardson is most likely not the future and would not have shown enough to make the Colts by passing Maye or Williams. 

This isn't true at all.  Was Peyton not the future when the Colts went 3-13 his rookie year and ended up with the #4 draft pick? The Colts possibly ending up with a really bad record doesn't mean that Richardson is not the future.  

• Like 1

Just now, kymd82222 said:

This isn't true at all.  Was Peyton not the future when the Colts went 3-13 his rookie year and ended up with the #4 draft pick? The Colts possibly ending up with a really bad record doesn't mean that Richardson is not the future.  

True. We got Edge and a great season 2 unfolded with Peyton

If I was u all, I would listen to Venturi. He may have been a disaster as a coach but he  knows his stuff. He will probably be on Audio Network Colts podcast early this week. He wil give an honest review of what occurred. I will wait for that. Like I said, I have no idea what Richardson was looking at down field.

31 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If I was u all, I would listen to Venturi. He may have been a disaster as a coach but he  knows his stuff. He will probably be on Audio Network Colts podcast early this week. He wil give an honest review of what occurred. I will wait for that. Like I said, I have no idea what Richardson was looking at down field.

Here is his honest assessment on Richardson, before this game:

"Number one, he’s calmer in the pocket than I ever thought he would be,” Venturi says. “I kind of envisioned one look and go, like a lot of rookies, particularly rookies that are good athletes. But he gets to his second and third reads. Number two, his delivery — he has really good quarterback mechanics. That ball jumps out of there. And number three, there’s a charisma about him. It’s not something you can normally define, but you know it when you see it.

“There’s gonna be some bumps in the road, but there’s just no — and I say this without reservation — there’s no doubt in my mind that at some point we’re gonna see greatness.”

https://theathletic.com/4788522/2023/08/19/colts-rick-venturi-anthony-richardson/

(If you have a link to whatever you hear from him, post the link. Thanks.)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, kymd82222 said:

Peyton had weapons around him early, so the future was bright. I am not sure Richardson is in that boat but time will tell.

13 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Yep. All of the rookies lost. Reich got beat down by Atlanta. There’s 16 more games. Fans will panic (my Bengals friends and family are losing it) but the teams are moving on. 

I think it's crazy for Colts fans to panic.  Anyone going into this year should have been honest that the number one goal is for AR5 to get better.

I am not anticipating making the playoffs, If AR is showing he is getting better over the course of the season I am happy.

The most worrying thing for me is he didn't complete many mid range or long passes til the end when they were having soft coverage and when he threw those passes against tighter coverage he was inaccurate.  I don't believe that can't be fixed but I do see that as his most glaring flaw right now.

The second thing that worries me is him getting himself hurt running the ball.  But that was sort of who he was when we took him.

AR played great. WE FINALLY GOT OUR GUY! :)

His pocket awareness is very impressive (even more impressive for a rookie). He steps up very well to avoid pressure. 

The zip he has on the ball is ridiculous......I LOVE it! He had some throws that I had to watch twice cuz I couldn't believe they got there in time.

When he messes up, he brushes it off and doesn't let himself get discouraged as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Judge for yourselves people: 

I focused on the O-Line.

#1 Josh Allen is a superb player for any RT to go up against.

He got his in this game.

You see a good amount of blitzes where their blitzers came in free.

AR made a number of good throws with them coming in his face,

and some rushed throws off target. These would be labeled throw aways by a Brady in some cases, but his strong arm had him still trying to get them there. 

DJackson got blown up once trying to pick up a blitzes, Raimann gave up a sack on a stunt, Smith gave up one easy sack, and another possibly when Allen caught AR from behind.

Bottom line,  Jax looked well prepared to defend our passing game, they blitzed effectively, but I would say AR was pretty good, well prepared for it.

He had a good pocket for his 3 step drop quicker throws. This is the base for the passing game so a solid first game in that area.

We have a Big Pierce problem. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The most worrying thing for me is he didn't complete many mid range or long passes til the end when they were having soft coverage and when he threw those passes against tighter coverage he was inaccurate.  I don't believe that can't be fixed but I do see that as his most glaring flaw right now.

It will be a focus. We should start to see some different things as the season goes on. Yesterday was all about just making completions and building some confidence. As Anthony builds his foundation, we'll start to see him push it down the field more. Mid-range is very tough for rookies to work. It's often something that clicks during the 2nd and 3rd seasons as they are better able to read the defense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I think it's crazy for Colts fans to panic.  Anyone going into this year should have been honest that the number one goal is for AR5 to get better.

I am not anticipating making the playoffs, If AR is showing he is getting better over the course of the season I am happy.

The second thing that worries me is him getting himself hurt running the ball.  But that was sort of who he was when we took him.

A lot of it was by design too with Steichen protecting him a bit. But then, when he looked farther he didn’t see enough separation or he hesitated to let it fly.

I remember Bruce Arians yelling at Peyton in his rookie year “a foot length is open in the NFL” when he wouldn’t let it go in practice. When he did, he got 28 INTs, lol in his rookie year. Would you rather be happy that AR let it go for deeper passes and have more INTs? 

Lots of these small things AR will learn playing QB in the NFL, Steichen will learn about our WRs and AR tendencies, the WRs will learn about AR’s tendencies etc. 

I saw Jalen Hurts his first year of starting. He wouldn’t even attempt, let alone complete throws like AR did to Ogletree and Josh Downs both that went for 20 plus yards in the middle of the field, both when the game was meaningful. Hurts would throw only outside the numbers for safer throws and then they got A J Brown and his 2nd full year of starting which was Year 3 of Hurts in the NFL, he started going down the seams to Goedert more.

Just by that comparison I recollected, I think it was a great start for AR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I focused on the O-Line.

#1 Josh Allen is a superb player for any RT to go up against.

He got his in this game.

You see a good amount of blitzes where their blitzers came in free.

AR made a number of good throws with them coming in his face.

We have a Big Pierce problem. 

Yep, AR surprised me with his pocket movement, in a good way, encouraging.

Yes, Pierce on the right side, whenever AR looked there, he rarely released it. Matt Ryan knew Pierce was good for jump balls mainly and got him those.

Remember that well thrown ball in preseason with Pierce going across the field and Pierce not coming down with the TD catch? Year 2 we should see Pierce learning the nuances of setting up DBs and catching more. He’s not running away from anybody at the NFL level, so they will play off only a little a bit and no double move possibilities because NFL DBs can recover. His game speed is slower than his timed speed is what I notice.

Just red zone jump balls and threading throws down the sidelines hoping he comes down with it or a few slants if they play off. He’s a few tricks pony at best. Wasn't the word when he was drafted that Reggie vouched for him? Well then, "Reggie, you better coach him up".