stitches

1 minute ago, fire cartier said:

55Emil Ekiyor Jr.    

Position

OL

Height

6-3

Weight

Earned first team All-SEC recognition from both the Associated Press and the league coaches … third-year starter at guard who was a force in the run game for the Crimson Tide … led the team in knockdown blocks with 31 … started 12 games and played in all 13 … a powerful presence in the middle of the line who blocked for the nation’s No. No. 4 scoring offense (41.1 ppg), No. 11 total offense (477.1 ypg), No. 19 passing offense (281.6 ypg) and the No. 36 rushing attack (195.5 ypg) … the UA front surrendered just 12 sacks among offensive linemen (one sack every 36.5 attempts) and only 22 total sacks on the season across 504 dropbacks for a 1.69 sacks per game average that finished fifth in the SEC … helped an offensive front that opened holes for an average of 5.55 yards per carry, a total that ranked fourth nationally … allowed one sack, nine pressures, eight quarterback hits and committed one penalty on the season … named to the preseason watch list for the Outland Trophy, which is presented to the top interior lineman in college football … earned offensive player of the week honors from the Alabama staff for his efforts at Ole Miss and against Auburn. Utah State: Came off the bench in the opener due to an injury that forced him to miss five practices leading up to the game 

A tad small for G.  I'd like to see him try C.

56 minutes ago, DynaMike said:

Finally a MF guard!!!

I know they didn’t draft a guard but there is a chance one of the tackles either slides inside or more likely lets them slide Smith inside to guard.  That cupboard wasn’t as bare as it appears at first glance after the draft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fire cartier said:

55Emil Ekiyor Jr.    

Position

OL

Height

6-3

Weight

Earned first team All-SEC recognition from both the Associated Press and the league coaches … third-year starter at guard who was a force in the run game for the Crimson Tide … led the team in knockdown blocks with 31 … started 12 games and played in all 13 … a powerful presence in the middle of the line who blocked for the nation’s No. No. 4 scoring offense (41.1 ppg), No. 11 total offense (477.1 ypg), No. 19 passing offense (281.6 ypg) and the No. 36 rushing attack (195.5 ypg) … the UA front surrendered just 12 sacks among offensive linemen (one sack every 36.5 attempts) and only 22 total sacks on the season across 504 dropbacks for a 1.69 sacks per game average that finished fifth in the SEC … helped an offensive front that opened holes for an average of 5.55 yards per carry, a total that ranked fourth nationally … allowed one sack, nine pressures, eight quarterback hits and committed one penalty on the season … named to the preseason watch list for the Outland Trophy, which is presented to the top interior lineman in college football … earned offensive player of the week honors from the Alabama staff for his efforts at Ole Miss and against Auburn. Utah State: Came off the bench in the opener due to an injury that forced him to miss five practices leading up to the game 

I wonder why he wasn’t drafted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I know they didn’t draft a guard but there is a chance one of the tackles either slides inside or more likely lets them slide Smith inside to guard.  That cupboard wasn’t as bare as it appears at first glance after the draft.

I get that. However IMHO neither of the tackles we drafted seem like good fits to transition to guard; they are both quite tall & slender. I hope Ekiyor develops well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DynaMike said:

I get that. However IMHO neither of the tackles we drafted seem like good fits to transition to guard; they are both quite tall & slender. I hope Ekiyor develops well.

Ekiyor could.  I think the Colts are higher on Fries than some here and Smith could slide into guard if Freeland could play RT.  They could also still add a second tear free agent. They have some options.  Granted some are better than others.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Ekiyor could.  I think the Colts are higher on Fries than some here and Smith could slide into guard if Freeland could play RT.  They could also still add a second tear free agent. They have some options.  Granted some are better than others.

Yep. I think they are somewhat high on Fries... One thing is for sure, the way the line played last year, their failings was not all Will Fries fault. He's now in his 3rd season, perhaps an open competition is in order, and may the best man win. I also believe Ryan Kelly needs to step up, and should not just be penciled in as the perennial starter

• Like 4

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Yep. I think they are somewhat high on Fries... One thing is for sure, the way the line played last year, their failings was not all Will Fries fault. He's now in his 3rd season, perhaps an open competition is in order, and may the best man win. I also believe Ryan Kelly needs to step up, and should not just be penciled in as the perennial starter

I get the impression they really feel the coaching was the issue.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Went from a very good OL, to a complete joke in 1 year. Yea, I think it was coaching as well..

I think we’ll see a big improvement with the same OL simply because of who we have behind center, along with a creative offensive scheme.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I think the three mainstays on the Oline were trying to help out the other two, to the detriment of their own responsibilities somewhat.  When you have a guy next to you that you trust to do his job, you can concentrate more on your own.

I know it’s not that simple and all three made some boneheaded plays on their own too.  There’s enough blame to go around with them, from Ballard, to the coaches, to Ryan too.  

Let’s just hope it was like that one season of the TV show Dallas - it was all a bad dream.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fire cartier said:

55Emil Ekiyor Jr.    

Position

OL

Height

6-3

Weight

That looks like a steal. All-SEC and not even drafted?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I can't find much info on him, why was he coveted by the Colts?

13 hours ago, James said:

You and me both. But that kind of money tells us something. I must admit, I never watched this player. 

zuerline says core special teamer

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/donavan-mutin/32004d55-5424-0431-140f-1f70b376e85b

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fire cartier said:

55Emil Ekiyor Jr.    

Position

OL

Height

6-3

Weight

Wonder why he didn’t get drafted? I would think it’s got to be medical.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think the three mainstays on the Oline were trying to help out the other two, to the detriment of their own responsibilities somewhat.  When you have a guy next to you that you trust to do his job, you can concentrate more on your own.

I know it’s not that simple and all three made some boneheaded plays on their own too.  There’s enough blame to go around with them, from Ballard, to the coaches, to Ryan too.  

Let’s just hope it was like that one season of the TV show Dallas - it was all a bad dream.  

I don't think we are done at oline yet. We have some bucks to sign someone in FA yet and there is a decent IOL out there (name  escapes me). wW can also pick up some more cap by cutting MAC.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Wonder why he didn’t get drafted? I would think it’s got to be medical.

I read his negatives from The Beast, which the Athletic puts out and covers just about every possible pro player in the multiverse.

They really didn't have much to say that would drop him out of the draft.  He had zero penalties last year.  They projected him as a 4th rounder.  Lots of positives, but I always look at the negatives to see if they have a real weakness.

Here's their summary:  "Overall, Ekiyor finds himself in compromised positions when his punch hands get off-schedule, but he moves well with the processing and core strength to be effective in multiple schemes. He has NFL starter talent with guard-center versatility."

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I read his negatives from The Beast, which the Athletic puts out and covers just about every possible pro player in the multiverse.

They really didn't have much to say that would drop him out of the draft.  He had zero penalties last year.  They projected him as a 4th rounder.  Lots of positives, but I always look at the negatives to see if they have a real weakness.

Here's their summary:  "Overall, Ekiyor finds himself in compromised positions when his punch hands get off-schedule, but he moves well with the processing and core strength to be effective in multiple schemes. He has NFL starter talent with guard-center versatility."

Yeah that doesn’t seem like something that would knock a guy completely out of the draft. Very weird considering where he played at too.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fire cartier said:

55Emil Ekiyor Jr.    

Position

OL

Height

6-3

Weight

But what’s his RAS score?

12 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Went from a very good OL, to a complete joke in 1 year. Yea, I think it was coaching as well..

The biggest reason for the crash was on Ballard. And I love Ballard. But he let too many guys go and the unit collapsed. He let Fisher go and we didn't have anyone ready. He let Glowinski go thinking Pinter would step in seamlessly. And there was a third guy he let go. Name escapes me. I guess he figure having 3 big time player would carry the unit. But OL play like 5 fingers. And we suddenly only had 3. From that standpoint I think we still have to comb remaining free agents for help at guard...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

The biggest reason for the crash was on Ballard. And I love Ballard. But he let too many guys go and the unit collapsed. He let Fisher go and we didn't have anyone ready. He let Glowinski go thinking Pinter would step in seamlessly. And there was a third guy he let go. Name escapes me. I guess he figure having 3 big time player would carry the unit. But OL play like 5 fingers. And we suddenly only had 3. From that standpoint I think we still have to comb remaining free agents for help at guard...

I think the third guy a Reed, but he wanted to move closer to home I think. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I think the third guy a Reed, but he wanted to move closer to home I think. 

That's correct.  I remember he didn't get a big contract and he may have not played much either.

What I wonder about is who were the coaches who thought Pryor and Pinter could play?  They must have seen them in practice and in the preseason.  I think they were convinced that since Pryor was next to Q and Pinter was surrounded by two pro bowlers, they'd be okay.  

I just hope that Kelly and Smith can play like they did in the past.  And that the new O line coach gets the most out of everyone.  I don't want to see Richardson running for his life every play.  No matter how big he is, eventually that wear and tear takes you down.  Look at Cam.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah that doesn’t seem like something that would knock a guy completely out of the draft. Very weird considering where he played at too.

Joey Fisher was another guard projected to go around 4/5 round and went undrafted too.....maybe it was wasn't a very good class this year in the eyes of GMs 

20 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

LOL, he has a chance to start at RG. He'll easily make the roster.

Let’s not get carried away.   A weak IOL class and the kid couldn’t get picked among 259 picks.  That should tell us all something.  

Ofds are, there may be some health issues that only the NFL knows about.  He’s going to be behind Fries and Pinter at the start.  Their experience along will make it hard on the rookie to start.   Not impossible, but a long shot.

• Like 2

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/lists/eagles-news-nfl-draft-prospects-utsa-houston-frank-harris/

Houston Cougars -- LB Donavan Mutin

Mutin is a force for the Cougars after leading the team in total tackles with 77 and finishing second on the team with three forced fumbles while also posting 46 solo tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, and one fumble recovery.

One of the focal points of last season’s defense, Mutin returns to the program as a veteran and one of The American’s top linebackers.

• Like 1

Mutin might be a player to keep an eye on.

Especially with our lack of depth at LB

https://thedailycougar.com/2022/09/13/donavan-mutin-uh-preparation/

How UH’s Donavan Mutin ‘became the game’

Love for the game

When Troutman looks back on his time coaching Mutin at Klein Collins, one thing stands out above the others — the pure love Mutin showed towards football.

“Football’s not just a game to him,” Troutman said. “It is life to him. It became part of his lifestyle. It became part of the culture that he created for himself in becoming a football player.'

Troutman described Mutin as a “sponge” who loves to be coached and soak up every last drop of information he can acquire...

Letting nothing slip by

There’s a reason why UH defensive coordinator Doug Belk refers to Mutin as the Peyton Manning of the Cougars’ defense.

The same thing Troutman saw from Mutin at Klein Collins, Belk sees every day from the captain of his defense.

“His preparation shows in his performance,” Belk said. “I would say he’s definitely in the top two or three guys that I’ve been around as far the way that he prepares.

Mutin’s teammates see it too.

UH senior defensive end Derek Parish needed just one word to encapsulate Mutin’s preparation — immaculate.

“Donnie is going to know where the right tackle is born in the hospital, wherever he was, or the quarterback or the receiver,” Parish said. “He dives deep into it and I think that’s what makes him such a great player.”

While Mutin would not give out all his secret sauce to how he prepares for an opponent, he did reveal that it starts from the moment the schedule drops each season.

“I’m watching dudes all offseason,” Mutin said. “When we get our schedule, I’m watching dudes. I’m watching their games from last year. I’m on their roster.”

By doing a deep dive into each opponent on the front end of things, game week becomes a time of fine-tuning his craft rather than scrambling to learn a bunch of information days before he’s put under the bright lights.

“During the week, I’m for sure diving in and just tightening up,” Mutin said. “But a lot of the work goes in on the front end so that when I get to this moment it’s already engrained, it’s already instilled, it’s already cemented.”

Hour after hour, Mutin dissects everything there is to know about the upcoming opponents. 

If an opponent got a new offensive coordinator, Mutin’s going to learn every school that that coach previously coached at, their playcalling style and any other piece of information he can find about that coach. Any returning players on the rosters of UH’s opponents, Mutin will break down each and every game they played in, learning their tendencies. 

Nothing gets past Mutin.

“He looks for the little things,” Parish said. “He’s down with the details.”

What is Mutin’s secret to his ability to notice the smallest of things that the average player and even some coaches miss when studying an opponent?

It all goes back to his unconditional love for the sport of football.

“His attention to detail comes back to him loving the game,” Troutman said. “That comes back to him not only playing the game but being part of the game.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That's correct.  I remember he didn't get a big contract and he may have not played much either.

What I wonder about is who were the coaches who thought Pryor and Pinter could play?  They must have seen them in practice and in the preseason.  I think they were convinced that since Pryor was next to Q and Pinter was surrounded by two pro bowlers, they'd be okay.  

I just hope that Kelly and Smith can play like they did in the past.  And that the new O line coach gets the most out of everyone.  I don't want to see Richardson running for his life every play.  No matter how big he is, eventually that wear and tear takes you down.  Look at Cam.

In 21, Pinter started two games at center for an injured Kelly.   He graded in the low 80’s both times.  

Pryor played three positions that year.  LT, RT, and RG.   Graded from the mid to upper 60’s to the mid to upper 70’s.   I think his overall PFF grade was in the mid-70’s.   And he played roughly a half season.  I think about 500+ snaps.   So I don’t think it was unreasonable to think both might be average, at least.   

Why both were so spectacularly bad is a mystery.   But the former OL coach was let go, but he was quickly hired by Houston.  And the assistant OL coach, Mawai (sp?) I think is out of the NFL.   I think he’s either at a small college or has gone to coach the HS level.  So both paid a high price for having such a terrible O-line. 

In my 11 years as a Colts fan, last years OL collapse is one of the top-5 disappointments.   

It wasn't just Pinter and Pryor that hit the wall. Kelly looked to be cut material, just flat out horrible. Smith was average on a good day, and even the mighty Nelson was a tackling sled too many times. Everyone hit the wall at the same time, that tells me that coaching, or scheme had a lot to do with it..

• Like 2