Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Anyone else have the terrible fear of our horrible artificial turf monster wrecking this kids knee and destroying one of his biggest assets?? It’s like I have this sick feeling in my stomach. I hate our turf.

Animated GIF

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

If the Colts go 3-14 next season...I am not sure AR is the priority at that point. That's likely a top 1-3 pick.

It's a year away, so injuries could happen. But I think Williams and Maye are going to be as coveted of a duo of QBs as any we have seen in recent years. 

I dont think AR has a Z.Wilson or Josh Rosen type season but it's worth considering how bad he'd have to be for the Colts to turn their eyes toward those two QBs. We'll likely be bad enough to get Marvin II so maybe 4 or 5 wins?

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I dont think AR has a Z.Wilson or Josh Rosen type season but it's worth considering how bad he'd have to be for the Colts to turn their eyes toward those two QBs. We'll likely be bad enough to get Marvin II so maybe 4 or 5 wins?

He'd have to be curtus painter bad or worse

I will be honest and say I preferred Stroud or Levis over AR. After the draft I have watched as much tape on him Playing or interviews I could find. To me he seems to go through his progression and has above average pocket awareness. His interviews to me are even more impressive with how humble he seems and the drive he seems to have to get better has me thinking we picked the right guy! Some hard work and little time and we may have our franchise QB

17 hours ago, Superman said:

Right now, I assume Minshew starts Week 1. Let's say he looks like a Pro Bowl level QB with whom we can make a run at the division, I think that might influence the strategy regarding Richardson. I also think it's unlikely that Minshew plays well enough for this to be the case.

Most likely, Minshew will look like the journeyman/backup that he's mostly been throughout his career, and the plan will continue to be to get Richardson reps as much as possible so he can take over sooner than later. Minshew would have to be really, really good for anything to delay the Richardson plan. 

I think the win/loss is the key.  If they are winning games with Minshew, he will stay the starter.   

10 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I think MHJ is a lock for a top 3 pick. A lot can happen, but barring injuries, I think it's Williams/Maye/MHJ as top 3 picks, unless Ewers has a huge season.

I don't think AR will have a season like Rosen. But I am not sure it would matter. 

But that's way down the line. 

14 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Unless they both regress this coming college season... It happens...

That would have to some major regression or big-time injury to the throwing arm. I think they had enough tape to go 1-2 in this class if they were eligible. Even if they regress, the tape is already there. So I don't see why teams wouldn't think "we can fix that...we know it's there."

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I think the win/loss is the key.  If they are winning games with Minshew, he will stay the starter.   

We'll see. If Minshew plays like JB did in 2019 and we start 5-2 (which is really optimistic; I think JB was very average, we had a soft schedule, and some things just broke our way), there would obviously be debate about what to do at QB. But I know how I felt then, and I would absolutely support moving to Richardson in that situation.

The other factor is whether Richardson is ready. If he looks great in preseason, he could start Week 1. But if it looks rough and Minshew is the starter, the fans won't really know what kind of progress he's making in practice and meetings. So we might have a situation where it looks like we should consider making a change, but the staff holds off because they don't want to put Richardson out there yet. Of course, if they play it the way I hope, we'll see Richardson in certain packages right away, even if he's not the starter.

Long story, I don't know if win/loss is the biggest factor, but it could be significant if the team is winning.

35 minutes ago, Superman said:

We'll see. If Minshew plays like JB did in 2019 and we start 5-2 (which is really optimistic; I think JB was very average, we had a soft schedule, and some things just broke our way), there would obviously be debate about what to do at QB. But I know how I felt then, and I would absolutely support moving to Richardson in that situation.

The other factor is whether Richardson is ready. If he looks great in preseason, he could start Week 1. But if it looks rough and Minshew is the starter, the fans won't really know what kind of progress he's making in practice and meetings. So we might have a situation where it looks like we should consider making a change, but the staff holds off because they don't want to put Richardson out there yet. Of course, if they play it the way I hope, we'll see Richardson in certain packages right away, even if he's not the starter.

Long story, I don't know if win/loss is the biggest factor, but it could be significant if the team is winning.

I would feel really ambivalent if the team started winning, especially if Minshew lights it up, which, I guess, is unlikely. 

15 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I would feel really ambivalent if the team started winning, especially if Minshew lights it up, which, I guess, is unlikely. 

Yeah I think it matters to the rest of the players also. Don't want to punt on the season when you have some momentum and a QB who's playing reasonably well. But if we're working Richardson in all along, then it shouldn't be a drastic switch if/when it happens, and everyone will recognize that it's been the plan all along. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah I think it matters to the rest of the players also. Don't want to punt on the season when you have some momentum and a QB who's playing reasonably well. But if we're working Richardson in all along, then it shouldn't be a drastic switch if/when it happens, and everyone will recognize that it's been the plan all along. 

I feel like he should just start day 1. If he is supposed to be the future, then why waste time with Minshew? Give Richardson experience and if they continually lose, then we get a high draft pick. I feel like starting Minshew is more of a punt. 

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

I feel like he should just start day 1. If he is supposed to be the future, then why waste time with Minshew? 

I think Minshew is here to get the rest of the offense on the same page with Steichen's scheme as smoothly and quickly as possible.

There is more than just Richardson to consider here.

Having the vets understanding and executing Steichen's offense will only help Richardson more when he gets his chance.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Anyone else see this garbage

I would’ve thought a GM wouldn’t have made such a silly mistake.   The director cut to the Colts draft room at precisely the wrong time.   And he took it as the official reaction.   That’s a rookie mistake.  

I hope at some point he acknowledges it….

4 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

I feel like he should just start day 1. If he is supposed to be the future, then why waste time with Minshew? Give Richardson experience and if they continually lose, then we get a high draft pick. I feel like starting Minshew is more of a punt. 

Im with you on this because the problem with bringing him along slowly is that there just arent many snaps in practice for Richardson during the season if hes a backup, and thats what he really needs more than anything.

As long as he knows the playbook well enough, he should play and get the reps.

14 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Does this really look like they weren’t  excited. They went from oh crap someone just traded up to thank goodness it was Houston. Have no clue what that reporter was watching.

It wasn’t a reporter.   It was Randy Meuller, a former NFL GM who wrote a story for the 33rd team website.   He misunderstood what he saw.    He reacted to what he saw LIVE, in real time, NOT to the exclusive clip that the colts showed a week later.   What was shown live was not this clip, it was a much more muted reaction.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It wasn’t a reporter.   It was Randy Meuller, a former NFL GM who wrote a story for the 33rd team website.   He misunderstood what he saw.    He reacted to what he saw LIVE, in real time, NOT to the exclusive clip that the colts showed a week later.   What was shown live was not this clip, it was a much more muted reaction.  

They deleted the tweet.

26 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I just watched this after watching the Colts With The Next Pick. Happened to see this just got released. It's on par quality wise as the Colts productions. Highly impressed and definitely worth the watch. I really believe Anthony is going to be special on the field and off the field for the Colts. He just seems like a really humble good dude! Happy for his family as well.

On 5/3/2023 at 12:19 PM, krunk said:

In my humble opinion I think if you weigh both sides you shouldn't come away feeling like he will struggle immensely to get better. I don't feel that worried that he'll have a good transition.  

I agree... Some keep talking about his accuracy but Shane said Richardson spins a nice ball. Patrick Mahomes was at 56.8% his freshman season and got better every season after. As Richardson gets more game reps and continues to work on the fundamentals with the coaching staff I expect him to improve vastly on the high dynamic skillset that he's been gifted. AR is only 20 yrs old and smart by all accounts so the sky is the limit for him.

6 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Does this really look like they weren’t  excited. They went from oh crap someone just traded up to thank goodness it was Houston. Have no clue what that reporter was watching.

Yep, Texans did us a solid there. Just as when they let us loose that last game last season! :thmup:

5 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I agree... Some keep talking about his accuracy but Shane said Richardson spins a nice ball. Patrick Mahomes was at 56.8% his freshman season and got better every season after. As Richardson gets more game reps and continues to work on the fundamentals with the coaching staff I expect him to improve vastly on the high dynamic skillset that he's been gifted. AR is only 20 yrs old and smart by all accounts so the sky is the limit for him.

Yes! If you watched Peyton he worked on his mechanics ad nauseum. From the steps he took, to his head placement, to how he opened up after the snap, to how he gave his body up to take certain hits. His feet were always shuffling while he waited for a throw to open. There's even more! Thats the stuff that made him so deadly and precise. AR accuracy will improve if he puts that same emphasis on his like Peyton did.

Stats are great but i think the stuff that you do with your body parts before the throw is what determines its accuracy more than anything else. Personally i dont see how someone could not improve throwing short if they put the right work into it. I dont have much worry about him being able to do so. If you watch AR at the Manning Passing Academy he sat there quiet as a church mouse anytime Peyton opened his mouth. I think hes very open to improving which is great. Indy is a great place for this kid when it comes to the QB position.

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I love that. Thank you for sharing. He is such a likeable guy who seems grounded and respectful. He is genuinely humble despite his athletic gifts. I'm very impressed with him. :)

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

When Ballard found out it was the Texans he had to be relieved bigtime lmao . He was celebrating haha . Had that been the Titans that traded up, they would have taken AR IMO. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When Ballard found out it was the Texans he had to be relieved bigtime lmao . He was celebrating haha 

Yep. I was too. It scared me when I saw a trade, then when I saw it was the Texans, I was celebrating. I knew we got our QB! :thmup:

The Texans helped us get our QB. First they beat us and raise our draft position, then they give us our QB lol. haha 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. I was too. It scared me when I saw a trade, then when I saw it was the Texans, I was celebrating. I knew we got our QB! :thmup:

The Texans helped us get our QB. First they beat us and raise our draft position, then they give us our QB lol. haha 

Yeah I added to my post, see above. Had it been the Titans that would of screwed everything up.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I added to my post, see above. Had it been the Titans that would of screwed everything up.

Yeah, that would have been disaster and was my fear heading into the draft. I heard the Titans made an offer and the Texans beat it. Not sure how true it is, but was scary nontheless. 

Today's game is different than it was 10 years ago. I still love the pure pocket passers that get the ball out quick and read defenses better than anyone like Tom and Peyton did but I believe in today's game it benefits teams to have a solid dual QB. A QB that can not only make the layups but can run for huge chunks of yards to keep defenses on their heels. Steve Young had that gift back in the late 80's/early 90's but that was rare for back then. Today you have guys like Lamar, Hurts, even Mahomes can run at times if needed, he just doesn't do it a lot because of his arm - all are top 10 QB's today.

Today's game is different than it was 10 years ago. I still love the pure pocket passers that get the ball out quick and read defenses better than anyone like Tom and Peyton did but I believe in today's it benefits teams to have a solid dual QB. A QB that can not only make the layups but can run for huge chunks of yards to keep defenses on their heels. Steve Young had that gift back in the late 80's/early 90's but that was rare for back then. Today you have guys like Lamar, Hurts, even Mahomes can run at times if needed, he just doesn't do it a lot because of his arm - all are top 10 QB's today.

Yep. Between Richardson and Levis, we, by far, made the right decision to draft Richardson. He is the exact type of QB you need to win a SB in this day and age. Steichen should be able to do something with him as well. He's more athletic than any QB in my lifetime, and he's well worth the risk when the reward is a SB win. Levis is probably a game manager at the NFL level tbh.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Between Richardson and Levis, we, by far, made the right decision to draft Richardson. He is the exact type of QB you need to win a SB in this day and age. Steichen should be able to do something with him as well. He's more athletic than any QB in my lifetime, and he's well worth the risk when the reward is a SB win. Levis is probably a game manager at the NFL level tbh.

Out of 45 years of watching football since I have been roughly 6 years old, I have never seen a more athletic QB that is quicker or stronger than Richardson. Vick was just as fast but not near as strong or had AR's size. Cam is right there but Richardson even has him beat IMO regarding being a tad faster and stronger. Hurts is a beast but AR is more athletic than him as well. Our new QB is a freak. He just needs to learn to make the layups and play smart when reading defenses.

Out of 45 years of watching football since I have been roughly 6 years old, I have never seen a more athletic QB that is quicker or stronger than Richardson. Vick was just as fast but not near as strong or had AR's size. Cam is right there but Richardson even has him beat IMO regarding being a tad faster and stronger. Hurts is a beast but AR is more athletic than him as well. Our new QB is a freak. He just needs to learn to make the layups and play smart when reading defenses.

Yep. Just needs to learn how to throw short passes, and I believe he'll be fine. That's doable when he has the traits to be a QB already. He's going to be really good IMO, and has a chance to be better than Luck with a proper coach like Steichen by his side. 

If he stays healthy, I think we can win a SB. I haven't been this high on the Colts since 2014.

Archived