Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

11 hours ago, Superman said:

I think the decision will be based on what happens in camps and preseason games, not anyone's predetermined ideas and timelines. 

It makes sense and is super obvious that the offense will be practically the same as what they did with Hurts, and he was the Day 1 starter in 2021, but that was his second season, and he got some playing time and starts in 2020. Also, while Hurts is an easy comp, I think it's relevant that Hurts had way more experience and production in college, and was also around much better coaches -- Nick Saban, Brian Daboll, Lane Kiffin, Lincoln Riley, Cale Gundy, etc. Hurts was a three year starter, and the one year he didn't start was sandwiched in between other seasons in which he was the full time starter. Hurts was likely much further along in his development than Richardson is right now.

So while Sirianni and Steichen showed up in Philly and made Hurts the starter, with a developmental plan to expand his responsibilities as QB, that doesn't mean Richardson will be the starter right away in Indy. I do think that they'll have a well considered plan for him, and I expect they'll be flexible with it. But I don't think those decisions will be made before camp/preseason evaluations.

I think this is why they said 3-5 years (I think Ballard said that.)  As fans we should temper our expectations.  I don't think we're going to the SuperBowl in two years like Hurts.

12 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Funny thing for me is I really wanted Stroud, but when we picked Richardson I got super excited because of his potential. 

Yeah, I was nervous that Houston might take Richardson on us. I would've preferred Stroud over Levis though if they were the only two options left at pick number 4.

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

I think this is why they said 3-5 years (I think Ballard said that.)  As fans we should temper our expectations.  I don't think we're going to the SuperBowl in two years like Hurts.

The football guys have him as a day 1 starter.

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

We are going in 1 lol

9 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thanks for asking. I don't like it. I actually wanted Nolan Smith or a CB (Banks or Porter).

Do you recall when Ryan Grigson drafted Dorsett when the Colts had lots of needs on defense and OL? It seemed like the same happened here. We were scheduled for 1 pick in the first 86 picks. We had to get someone with more value than Addison. JMO. I'm getting over it. Lol.

Btw, Ryan Grigson is with the Vikings player personnel department. :(

Bill polian used to do it too.   That’s how we got Reggie Wayne.   Be patient.  Addison may be worth it.  I have no idea though

i think Grigson is a good talent evaluator.   He’s just not a good leader or people person. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Bill polian used to do it too.   That’s how we got Reggie Wayne.   Be patient.  Addison may be worth it.  I have no idea though

i think Grigson is a good talent evaluator.   He’s just not a good leader or people person. 

He could turn out to be great. I just do not believe he was the best choice there given that we did not have another pick until late in the third. Unless it is Randy Moss or Marvin Harrison, I don't think a WR is that valuable in that position, especially given all the needs on defense. We could have drafted a competent WR in the 3rd while selecting BPA or a defensive player in the first.

I compared it to when Grigson drafted Philip Dorsett. Dorsett could have been very good, but in that situation in 2015, Grigson could have drafted other players with more value and who were greater needs. (Eric Kendricks, Landon Collins, even Grady Jarrett who former forum member @Dustin wanted the Colts to draft. Jarrett went in the 4th or 5th round.).

• Like 1

I want to see want to see what we do with AR and all these nice Tight Ends we have. Also mildly interested to see who the 5th WR is. It's year 3 for Mike Strachan. Assuming he makes the team I want to see if he's ready to be the guy we thought he could become.

You all may have discussed it and I missed it. I was reading the Athletic. Former GM/player personnel guy Randy Muller seems to have a problem with the Colts selecting Richardson. He implies (I got the impression) in an article on the Athletic that Ballard and Steichen were not on board with the pick and that it was Irsay that forced them to make that pick. He writes that he feels bad for Chris Ballard, as he believes he was forced to make this pick.

From: https://theathletic.com/4485716/2023/05/04/nfl-draft-observations-randy-mueller-colts-giants-dolphins?source=user-shared-article

That’s why, when the Indianapolis Colts’ draft room was shown after their selection of Richardson, you saw no celebrations. You saw consternation and anxiety throughout. This had to be a painful process for them with an impatient owner lurking and probably mandating they take a QB one way or another. I felt bad for GM Chris Ballard and assistant GM Ed Dodds when the camera scanned the scene.

Did some of you get the same impression when watching the Colts draft room. I don't remember getting the same impression.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I want to see want to see what we do with AR and all these nice Tight Ends we have. Also mildly interested to see who the 5th WR is, It's year 3 for Mike Strachan. Assuming he makes the team I want to see if he's ready to be the guy we thought he could become.

Definitely feels like it's now or never for Strachan.  Really hope he can take whatever leap they're looking for from him.  Still might be tough though.

Pittman

Pierce

Downs

Dulin

McKenzie

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Definitely feels like it's now or never for Strachan.  Really hope he can take whatever leap they're looking for from him.  Still might be tough though.

Pittman

Pierce

Downs

Dulin

McKenzie

Forgot about Dulin! Yeah you're right, it might not be enough room for Strachan this go around. We will see.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

You all may have discussed it and I missed it. I was reading the Athletic. Former GM/player personnel guy Randy Muller seems to have a problem with the Colts selecting Richardson. He implies (I got the impression) in an article on the Athletic that Ballard and Steichen were not on board with the pick and that it was Irsay that forced them to make that pick. He writes that he feels bad for Chris Ballard, as he believes he was forced to make this pick.

From: https://theathletic.com/4485716/2023/05/04/nfl-draft-observations-randy-mueller-colts-giants-dolphins?source=user-shared-article

Did some of you get the same impression when watching the Colts draft room. I don't remember getting the same impression.

That article has po'd a lot of Colts fans.  I believe it's his first for the Athletic as well.  It's my understanding they even took the tweet for that story down after this last episode of With The First Pick showed that we did, in fact, celebrate getting Richardson.

I wasn't all that upset that he came to that conclusion, because I know I said after the pick when they showed the war room that there was no celebrating and it did look somber.  With the Next Pick showed that they did their celebrating when it was announced that Houston traded up so they knew they got their guy.  Definitely don't think he should have written a story about a it, but content is king these days and you gotta do what ya gotta do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I kind of liked that the Colts draft room didn't do that nonsense. I'd say ever since they've let cameras in team's draft rooms, 90% of those celebrations we see are put on for our benefit, or for show period. I doubt there was nearly the amount of celebrating that we see now before cameras were allowed in.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DoubleE Colt said:

So we will know how far Levis fell after Colts went with AR........but do we think that if they'd have picked Levis, AR would have fallen as far?!

I think Levis hurt himself

He showed arrogance, and put himself in an odd light (Bananas , Mayonaise)

If you are trying to show yourself as a team leader and face of the franchise, you limit this stuff

He didnt.......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

You think Grigson is a good talent evaluator?     Ryan Grigson?!?     The guy who used to be the Colts GM?!?    

Based on……..    what exactly?

Asking for several million Colts fans? 

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You think Grigson is a good talent evaluator?     Ryan Grigson?!?     The guy who used to be the Colts GM?!?    

T.Y, but that's about it. I'm not giving him Luck. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think Levis hurt himself

He showed arrogance, and put himself in an odd light (Bananas , Mayonaise)

If you are trying to show yourself as a team leader and face of the franchise, you limit this stuff

He didnt.......

Not in the eyes of the Colts.  He would have been our pick if someone took AR at 3.   

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Some of the ‘insights’ that Mueller and Mike Sando come out with regarding the Colts on the Football GM podcast on The Athletic are pretty far off the mark compared to the local media, but you could say that about most of the national media coverage to be fair.

I would say that it is interesting when Mueller tells a few stories of how things worked back in his day, but he is a bit out of touch with the current GM / scouting world.

From what I read he based the entire Colts article on a 5 second clip from ESPN, which was made to look ridiculous a couple of minutes later when the Colts released the second episode of With The Next Pick.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not in the eyes of the Colts.  He would have been our pick if someone took AR at 3.   

I’m not sure I believed Irsay when he said that. Surely it would be a trade back or taking a defensive player over Levis (when you see how far he fell in the draft).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDNScot said:

I’m not sure I believed Irsay when he said that. Surely it would be a trade back or taking a defensive player over Levis (when you see how far he fell in the draft).

Ballard said the same thing.  Believe what you will.  The fact they didn’t trade to three to guarantee getting him tells you everything.  They would have been happy with either one.  When you don’t want to move up one spot to get your supposed target all along means you don’t want to pay the price and you will be just as happy with the other guy.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NFLfan said:

By draft day, they thought Stroud would fall to them.  That's more of how I read it.  

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I do.  So does Andy Reid as well as the Vikings apparently.  I’m not a fan of him.  I can be objective though

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

According to Kent Sterling who has waaaaay more inside info that even you have, they were going to trade back if AR was gone.

• Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard said the same thing.  Believe what you will.  The fact they didn’t trade to three to guarantee getting him tells you everything.  They would have been happy with either one.  When you don’t want to move up one spot to get your supposed target all along means you don’t want to pay the price and you will be just as happy with the other guy.  

Could you please direct me to the quote where Ballard said they would take Levis with pick 4 if Richardson was gone?

29 minutes ago, RDNScot said:

Could you please direct me to the quote where Ballard said they would take Levis with pick 4 if Richardson was gone?

Irsay press conference. But I have to add that Irsay did say a little while back that he'd leave the pick up to Ballard so I suspect Ballard would have done differently. I think the Levi's thing was a smoke screen. That's why Jim was taking small Levi's jabs on day 2 after Levi's got passed up. Morroco Brown was in one of those clips calling Richardson a generational prospect. I doubt they viewed Levi's on the same tier.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

Irsay press conference. But I have to add that Irsay did say a little while back that he'd leave the pick up to Ballard so I suspect Ballard would have done differently. I think the Levi's thing was a smoke screen. That's why Jim was taking small Levi's jabs on day 2 after Levi's got passed up. Morroco Brown was in one of those clips calling Richardson a generational prospect. I doubt they viewed Levi's on the same tier.

Yeah, that’s when Irsay made the claim but my question is when (if he ever) Ballard said it.

I agree with you in doubting the Colts had Richardson and Levis graded the same.

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ballard didn’t put out any smokescreens. All of the Levis stuff was just teams guessing. And like some of us really thought they would go Levis because of where this team is and the vets they have.  I was kind of shocked with QB being such a big position they went with someone with such little experience.   Colts clearly liked Levis too but just chose to go with the one with the higher upside and generational traits. Time will tell if he becomes the generational player. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard didn’t put out any smokescreens. All of the Levis stuff was just teams guessing. And like some of us really thought they would go Levis because of where this team is and the vets they have.  I was kind of shocked with QB being such a big position they went with someone with such little experience.   Colts clearly liked Levis too but just chose to go with the one with the higher upside and generational traits. Time will tell if he becomes the generational player. 

In the same post you’ve said “All of the Levis stuff was just teams guessing” and “Colts clearly liked Levis too”, so which is it?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RDNScot said:

Some of the ‘insights’ that Mueller and Mike Sando come out with regarding the Colts on the Football GM podcast on The Athletic are pretty far off the mark compared to the local media, but you could say that about most of the national media coverage to be fair.

I would say that it is interesting when Mueller tells a few stories of how things worked back in his day, but he is a bit out of touch with the current GM / scouting world.

From what I read he based the entire Colts article on a 5 second clip from ESPN, which was made to look ridiculous a couple of minutes later when the Colts released the second episode of With The Next Pick.

Has he said he was wrong to say that?

I think he wrote that to say he himself would have never picked Richardson at 4. I wonder who Mueller would have picked.

14 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Has he said he was wrong to say that?

I think he wrote that to say he himself would have never picked Richardson at 4. I wonder who Mueller would have picked.

I believe that he wrote then deleted a tweet about his article after some critical feedback, but no follow up to say he got it wrong.

Such is the way of the world these days, it’s more convenient to ignore and move on from an item than it is to acknowledge that they got it wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDNScot said:

Yeah, that’s when Irsay made the claim but my question is when (if he ever) Ballard said it.

I agree with you in doubting the Colts had Richardson and Levis graded the same.

Ballard did not. He just denied any information that people put out that we were smitten with Levi's. And to me even if Ballard denied that he personally didn't put any info out about high interest in Levi's it doesn't mean the scouts around him didn't do it as a smokescreen. He said they didn't get that from "me", not they didn't get that from "us". My opinion of course. Lol!

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, RDNScot said:

In the same post you’ve said “All of the Levis stuff was just teams guessing” and “Colts clearly liked Levis too”, so which is it?

I think it’s clear from irsay they liked Levis a lot. Nothing about them liking him came until after the draft. His comments are separate then from what national media thought about colts taking Levis. The national media and other GM were  just trying to put two and two together. That has nothing to do with Irsay comments.

2 hours ago, RDNScot said:

I believe that was Irsay who said that, not Ballard. I don’t believe Ballard and his scouting department wanted Levis high in the 1st round. 

• Like 1