Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select QB Anthony Richardson Florida (merge)

danlhart87

10 hours ago, stitches said:

Dane Brugler scouting report on Richardson from The Beast(Draft guide): BTW it's worth buying a subscription to the Athletic only for this Draft Guide. It's probably the most detailed publicly available draft guide out there...  

3. ANTHONY RICHARDSON | Florida 6042 | 244 lbs. | 3SO Gainesville, Fla. (Eastside) 5/22/2002 (age 20.93) #15

BACKGROUND: Anthony Richardson, the oldest of two boys, was born and raised in Miami (Fla.) by his mother (LaShawnda Lane) and often lived with other relatives. He has a relationship with his biological father, but his great uncle (Tanka Lane) was the central male figure in Richardson’s childhood. Tanka, who passed away when Richardson was in middle school, introduced Richardson to football at age 4, when he played for the Carol City Chiefs. Richardson also ran track in elementary school and started playing basketball at age 10. His family moved to Gainesville in 2013 and Richardson enrolled at Professional Academies Magnet at Loften High School, where he studied Fire, EMS and public safety. Loften doesn’t have athletic programs, which allowed Richardson to play sports at Eastside High School. He originally played wide receiver as a freshman before moving to quarterback after the starter broke his finger. After scoring 23 touchdowns (13 rushing, 10 passing) as a sophomore, Richardson led the Rams to a 7-4 record and playoff berth in 2018, finishing his junior year with 1,567 passing yards, 924 rushing yards and 33 total touchdowns (17 passing, 16 rushing). He played the first six games of his senior season before a shoulder injury ended his year, finishing with 1,398 passing yards, 151 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns (8 passing, 7 rushing). Richardson’s senior season was featured on the Netflix documentary “QB1: Beyond the Lights.” Richardson finished his four-year varsity career with 78 total touchdowns (41 rushing, 37 passing). He also lettered in basketball at Eastside and averaged 10.5 points and 7.5 rebounds per game as a junior, helping the team to a 26-3 record in 2018-19.

A four-star recruit, Richardson was the No. 9 dual-threat quarterback in the 2020 recruiting class and the No. 30 recruit in Florida (No. 1 quarterback recruit in the state). As Richardson played high school football in the Gators’ backyard, newly hired head coach Dan Mullen extended a scholarship offer to him after his breakout sophomore year in the spring of 2018. A few months later, Richardson verbally committed. However, his recruitment started to increase during his junior year (including offers from Georgia, Michigan and Penn State), and Richardson decided to decommit from Florida to examine his options. After almost flipping to Penn State, he decided to stay home, recommit to Mullen and enroll early (graduated from Loften in December 2019). Richardson was the first Gainesville-area quarterback to sign with Florida since Chris Stephens in 1999. After only one season as the Gators’ full-time starter, he opted out of the 2022 bowl game and elected to skip his final two seasons of eligibility to enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Big, twitchy athlete with rare arm strength (velocity and distance are both easy for him) … drives his throws to every inch of the field and the ball gets on receivers fast … efficient arm-action release for a big-bodied passer, regardless of platform … displays a natural feel for downfield touch on his bucket throws … promising eye use and made whole-field reads in college … loose and agile to comfortably throw on the move and execute rollouts and boot action … feels pressure in the pocket and is able to step up or make subtle slides/shuffles mid-read … brawny frame and not an easy guy to tackle in the open field or pocket … nifty runner (on scrambles or designed runs) with options to elude using his quickness or power (39 broken tackles in 2022 were the fourth-most in the FBS) … looks like Cam Newton in short-yardage and goal-line situations and can be a powerful weapon on draws and zone reads … explosive athlete (set the quarterback record with a 40.5-inch vertical at the combine) … extraordinary speed for his size to pick up chunk yardage (had at least one 15-yard run in nine games in 2022) or hit home runs with downfield acceleration (six career runs of 45-plus yards) … humble, hardworking and his coaches say he has the “required wiring” to digest and apply hard coaching.

WEAKNESSES: Up-and-down accuracy and still developing his pacing and placement as a passer (misses too many open receivers) … breakdowns with his base, mechanics and release points disrupt his rhythm … lacks consistency with some of the details, like throwing to the correct shoulder to lead receivers … not every throw requires his fastball and he needs to learn how to control his ball speeds … gets himself in trouble forcing things and is prone to JV-level mistakes at times … undeveloped anticipation for routes about to come open … his deep accuracy looks great one play and then misses by five yards the next … eight career fumbles … plays through pain, but he missed time because of injuries as a redshirt freshman, including a strained hamstring (September 2021), concussion (October 2021) and nagging pain in his right knee, which required arthroscopic surgery (December 2021); missed the final month of his senior year in high school with a right shoulder injury (October 2019) … received a ticket for driving 105 mph at 4 a.m. (April 2022) and had to pay a fine and write an essay detailing what he learned from the incident … started only 13 games in college with a sub-.500 record (6-7).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Florida, Richardson became the full-time starter as a redshirt sophomore in head coach Billy Napier’s play-action, outside-zone offense. His 2022 season was full of highs and lows (his 53.8 completion percentage accurately reflects his up-and-down play), although his supporting cast was equally inconsistent from game-to-game. An athletic, large-statured passer, Richardson has the arm to drill every throw imaginable with plus velocity, while also using his legs to be an explosive playmaker (had four 100-yard rushing games compared to only three 250-yard passing games). However, he has scattershot tendencies and is more of a see-it thrower, lacking anticipation and relying on his arm over repeatable footwork/mechanics (only 393 career pass attempts). Overall, Richardson’s volatile accuracy and decision-making cloud his evaluation, but he is a freakshow talent with special size, speed and arm strength, and he put enough promising plays on film to be optimistic about his potential ceiling. He fits an RPO or NFL vertical-passing offense that will also utilize his athleticism, but he needs on-field reps and a patient coaching staff willing to weather the early storm

Dang…Both AR and Bryce Young were in an unaired season of “QB1” on Netflix.

Got super excited to go watch it but saw that it was unaired for whatever reason. Netflix really screwed that up…only other QB’s they’ve had go onto the NFL was Fields and Fromm.

Thanks for posting that though, I do need to get an Atheltic sub

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Deja Vu, a la Carson Wentz and Frank Reich... 

I'd say it's not about fixing issues for Richardson. In his case, he's still developing, and it's about giving the right environment and support and technical help to grow habits such as footwork and mechanics, throwing with touch and anticipation that makes him a consistent passer QB. 

Well…. Maybe I shouldn’t have used the word fix. Did you watch the presser with Irsay? I think it is prudent of the owner to have the HC bringing reassurance that the weaknesses in the QB candidate is something that can be overcome with a certain probability of success. I prefer that to just accepting the HC wish at face value. 

Having said that, I get what you say about Reich and Wentz, but maybe Irsay was a bit more throughly this time around! haha BTW, it should like both Irsay and Shane was high on Richardson, I don’t think Irsay mentioned Ballard’s preference. 

https://theathletic.com/4472983/2023/04/30/bruce-feldman-nfl-draft-2/

Bruce Feldman's takeaways from the draft... there's part on AR and the Colts in there:

1. I’m fascinated to watch what happens with the Colts and Anthony Richardson. I love the fit. As we detailed last week, the 6-4, 244-pound 20-year-old with 4.43 speed and a 40-inch vertical has an athletic skill set unlike anyone the NFL has ever seen. He has Josh Allen’s arm with Michael Vick’s speed and explosiveness.

“Who has been more physically gifted than him?” an NFL quarterback coach asked me. We thought out some guys for consideration — Allen, Vick, Cam Newton, Patrick Mahomes, Andrew Luck, but they did not quite fit this package. There certainly are questions, starting with a completion percentage in the mid-50 and a limited number of starts. Another QB coach pointed out that Richardson has already made some good strides refining his mechanics, and it’s not like he needs a massive overhaul. And by all accounts, he has the right attitude.

Ten years ago, I would have been skeptical. But in the past five years, we’ve seen several examples of very gifted, raw guys blossoming while on the job at quarterback in the NFL, provided they have the right coaching. And, I believe Richardson just went to a place with the right coach in Shane Steichen.

Look at how Brian Daboll brought along Josh Allen, who also had accuracy concerns. And last season, Daboll helped turned Daniel Jones into a formidable QB by moving the pocket a lot, employing a lot of QB run game using more play-action and RPOs and not leaning on a true drop-back game. Richardson’s new coach has a great track record. He helped Justin Herbert excel as a rookie with the Chargers, and he most recently aided Jalen Hurts rise from a 2-5 start to leading the Eagles to the Super Bowl.

In the middle of the second round, the Colts addressed another big need by grabbing Kansas State’s Julius Brents, an extremely long corner who improved dramatically in 2022 by technique wise by also in his approach to the game. Undersized WR Josh Downs was very productive at North Carolina and should help Richardson. After that, Indy loaded up on more freak athletes, offensive Blake Freeland from BYU; explosive defensive lineman Adetomiwa Adebawore from Northwestern, corner Darius Rush from South Carolina; safety Daniel Scott from Cal, speedy Miami tight end Will Mallory and edge rusher Titus Leo from FCS Wagner.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://theathletic.com/4472983/2023/04/30/bruce-feldman-nfl-draft-2/

Bruce Feldman's takeaways from the draft... there's part on AR and the Colts in there:

Another good point about Richardson's fit with us and the situation. His new head coach has experience working with rookie NFL QBs and developing them into successful leaders. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something to be aware of is college QB usually have a dip in accuracy their first year in the nfl. So him being only 53% in college could mean he is really bad the first year. Hopefully Steichen can have better schemes then Florida did so it at least isn’t worse then that 53%. He will have better weapons too.

Yeah the percentage could go down. If that's the case, at least he's got his legs to compensate for the time being while he learns the ropes. 

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Yeah the percentage could go down. If that's the case, at least he's got his legs to compensate for the time being while he learns the ropes. 

Which is exactly what Steichen said. He talked about his legs giving him a high floor. With Taylor in the back field his floor should be even higher.  I really do think we can win more then what we did last year.  

I am also glad they kept Ryan Kelly. He is going to be crucial to helping a young QB with protections.

• Like 2

Just now, Coltsbluefan said:

I just hope Colts fans are gonna be patient.I think Richardson will take atleast 2 maybe 3 years to see his full potential in the horseshoe.

Agreed. There will be some really ugly games and moments, especially to start next season whenever he gets the nod. Heck, I won't be shocked if he struggles during training camp early. I do think his floor might be a bit higher than most are seeing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We had so much build up to the draft it almost feels deflating that it is over. Lmao. Now we have 3 months until TC.  

IMHO, I think there is too much build up. It was just a huge guessing game with new reports dropping every week. Even got a notice from BR about Vegas saying Levis was trending as the #1 overall bc he was telling people the Panthers said he was their guy. It was relentless. 

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Agreed. There will be some really ugly games and moments, especially to start next season whenever he gets the nod. Heck, I won't be shocked if he struggles during training camp early. I do think his floor might be a bit higher than most are seeing. 

Going to be fun to watch him play in the preseason. Just hoping for good health for him during the preseason. He needs to play a lot in the preseason season but if they plan on him being starter day one not sure how much he will play.

Can’t  wait for rookie mini camp next week.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We had so much build up to the draft it almost feels deflating that it is over. Lmao. Now we have 3 months until TC.  

Yeah I think at this point try to enjoy the summer. Go on trips maybe to the beach and cookouts. Enjoy the warm weather.

I'll be following my Atlanta braves.  But you're right football will be quiet the next few months. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

So glad the Colts swung for the fence. I was pretty sure with Steichen as HC, AR was the one they were targeting. When the Texans traded to 3, I was ecstatic. We've got our guy and once he gets up to speed, we can compete in the QB loaded AFC.

So glad there won't be anymore crazy Lamar or Levis posts too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something to be aware of is college QB usually have a dip in accuracy their first year in the nfl. So him being only 53% in college could mean he is really bad the first year. Hopefully Steichen can have better schemes then Florida did so it at least isn’t worse then that 53%. He will have better weapons too.

I'm hopeful because Richardson is coming to a better coaching situation. The coaching structure of Florida's offense made no sense, quite frankly. 

He could have stayed in college to get more experience, but I think he would've had to have gone into the transfer portal to a better situation than what is in place at Florida right now.

In a weird way it may have been his best option, in spite of many opinions to the contrary, to come to the NFL and end up in the right situation. In my opinion, that's exactly what happened by him coming to Indy and our staff. 

• Like 4

On 4/27/2023 at 9:30 PM, pkbrux said:

Exactly. At minimum, he should be getting multiple drives each game and build towards starting. He only has 13 starts and needs reps, he is not going to get that by sitting on the bench.

That is exactly what Ballard and Steichen have said in video post draft.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:13 PM, Superman said:

Very short on experience, and he's not ready. He's one of the most raw QB prospects to go in the first round in recent history. You're right to be skeptical, and I'm on the record with my concerns over the last 2-3 months. I said at one point this kind of pick can get a GM fired, and if Richardson looks bad in two years, I think Ballard and Steichen could be looking for work. 

But you started your previous post saying you don't know much about him. I suggest you do some homework. Watch his games and you'll see the special traits that have people excited. Read about his upbringing and circumstances and you'll see some grit. You won't understand this pick if you're just scouting the stat sheet. It's a major projection, and you won't get it if you don't try to see around the corner a little bit.

I like this post,  just want people take a look at the film and try not to get excited! 

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Which is exactly what Steichen said. He talked about his legs giving him a high floor. With Taylor in the back field his floor should be even higher.  I really do think we can win more then what we did last year.  

I am also glad they kept Ryan Kelly. He is going to be crucial to helping a young QB with protections.

I simply cannot trust Kelly setting protections.

We were abismal bad recognizing blitz and stunts last year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That wont happen with Richardson. I think he stays the same or improves as he will have better weapons and better coaching scheme.

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

well Shane has pretty much said he needs to play. Steichen said last night once they get him in here and they see where he is at during OTA and TC A decision will be made. FWIW thst tweet was worded weird. He meant at some point this season.

That makes more sense, how it read it made it sound like he was guaranteeing that he was gonna play week 1, which would have been not smart. Steichen said he needs reps practice and in-game. So I imagine he will get a lot in practices and in the preseason games, but I do think there is value in not starting a raw player week 1, frankly I would hope Gardner starts and plays good enough that they don't feel forced to play him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Nope. I have never been an anti-Irsay person. I appreciate his passion for the Colts. That said, I just don’t pay any attention to anything he says anymore. 

I'm not anti-Irsay, I'm just flabbergasted when he says things that negatively affect the team

Peter King's article on the draft:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/01/nfl-draft-2023-raiders-texans-cj-stroud-peter-king-fmia/?cid=fmiatw

The part about RIchardson:

Reasons for Richardson

Colts GM Chris Ballard told me he’s known he was going to take green Florida QB Anthony Richardson for about a month. He understands the risks involved—Richardson started 13 college games, won six, had some dreadful days (nine of 27 versus Florida State)—but he and his staff could not unsee what the tape and workouts showed them.

I thought this was the most interesting thing Ballard said as he drove home Saturday night: “I would rather take the risk, the risk that he might fail, than pass on him and see him become a star somewhere else. We’re taking a guy not only for what he can do today but for what he can become tomorrow. I’ve told our guys here: Anthony might have some games where he’s nine of 22 for 105 yards—but in the game he’ll run 10 times for 115 yards. It just might look different for a while.”

The excitement, though, is palpable in Indy. Zak Keefer of The Athletic interviewed owner Jim Irsay at the draft and Irsay told a story about meeting with Richardson. As relayed by Keefer, Irsay told Richardson: “You play 12 or 14 years in this league and you’re an outstanding quarterback, you’re gonna make a billion dollars. A billion. A billion.”

Well, that would mean after Richardson’s rookie contract expires, Irsay would be paying him $950 million or so for the rest of his career. That’s one heck of a projection, but the future is a wild place for phenom quarterbacks, I guess.

The debate, of course, is whether Richardson should play or not play this year—some or all of this year. I’ve heard so many people, including almost everyone on TV, say you’ve got to play Richardson because he’s so inexperienced. But you can’t make the decision until you see how ready (or not ready) Richardson is. How’d playing early work out for 2022 second overall pick Zach Wilson, also inexperienced coming out of college? Not good. How did sitting most of his rookie year work out for Patrick Mahomes? Great.

So be careful what you wish for. You don’t want to rush a guy who’s not ready. Which is why it’s not a call you can make today.

“We gotta get him in here and see where he is,” Ballard said. “We don’t know. He turns 21 this month—he’s so young still. Let us figure out what he can handle before making any decisions. But there’s not many people who can do what he does. When [Colts chief personnel executive] Morocco Brown watched him, he came back and told me: ‘I’m watching this kid in practice, and I’m drooling.’”

I’ve already got one training-camp stop marked off—in pen—this summer. Two days at Colts camp to watch Anthony Richardson.

• Like 2

Lets just wait and see with Steichen, Richardson and etc....

Neither has coached or played a down  here yet. Hopefully it will work out, but the Colts could be one of those franchise who wallow in qb purgatory for years/decades. It has not been to promising since AL retired.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, stitches said:

Ballard:

I’ve told our guys here: Anthony might have some games where he’s nine of 22 for 105 yards—but in the game he’ll run 10 times for 115 yards. It just might look different for a while.”

Ballard tricks everyone into going along with his grinding style of play after all.  It's odd that the same people who didn't want to run the ball with Taylor are fine with a game full of between the tackles QB runs.  

Just now, jszfunk said:

Lets just wait and see with Steichen, Richardson and etc....

Neither has coached or played a down  here yet. Hopefully it will work out, but the Colts could be one of those franchise who wallow in qb purgatory for years/decades. It has not been to promising since AL retired.

If it doesn't work, someone else will be picking another QB two years from now.  Irsay will return to the Manning era for the next GM and coach, I'm sure.

I will be posting some Greg Cosell scouting reports on our draft picks. Here's the one for Richardson:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-draft/2023/players/anthony-richardson-53620/scouting-reports/

ANTHONY RICHARDSON

QB | FLORIDA

So.#15

Background:

Richardson strongly was featured as a designed runner in Florida’s offense with multiple QB run game concepts. In the pass game the focus was schemed concepts (at times off boot action with misdirection) that presented defined reads and throws without asking Richardson to go through progression reads. Half-field reads (with flood a foundational concept) were strongly featured in the Florida passing game.

What stood out watching Richardson in 2022 was defenses deployed spy tactics, especially on third down.

Positives:

• Big, physically impressive and imposing athlete with outstanding athleticism and speed; Freakish athletic traits.
  • Dominant runner with size/athleticism/speed/explosiveness profile that not many possess, big-time playmaker.
  • Effortless thrower, can easily flick the ball from a balanced, sturdy lower half with a firm base and feet planted.
  • Natural thrower with good sequencing in his delivery, used his core and weight transfer effectively to throw.
  • Capable of big-time throws at the intermediate and vertical levels of the defense, precise ball placement.
  • Flashed patience in the pocket working from primary read side to the other side of the field, stayed balanced.
  • Made some tough throws off pocket movement with bodies around him, size and arm strength big factors.
  • Showed more touch at times as the season progressed; Made the right kind of throw with good ball location.
  • Threw the ball effortlessly on the move at all levels, gives an offense the designed boot action pass game.
  • Strength as runner to shed tacklers, and strength and quickness in the pocket to shed and avoid pass rushers.
  • Showed the special ability to make outstanding second reaction movement plays as both runner and passer.

Negatives:

• Balance and footwork in the pocket needs to become more consistent, too many snaps with poor mechanics.
  • Much to learn RE: playing QB position from the pocket with nuance demanded, must learn progression reads.
  • Must develop more touch and pace on shorter throws, tendency to throw it too hot, increasing catch difficulty.
  • Needs to develop a better and more refined feel for the timing and rhythm of the passing game, inconsistent.
  • Scattershot tendencies with ball placement, missed too many routine throws, not giving receivers a chance.
  • At this point showed a tendency at times to perceive pressure in the pocket and break down unnecessarily.
  • Tendency to drop his eyes before setting in the pocket and break down in pocket leaving throws on the field.
  • Reps in which he drifted off the midline creating his own pressure, result was he broke down in the pocket.

Bottom Line:

Richardson will get people excited with his athletic and physical profile, and there is no question that profile can be described as freakish, but he has a long way to go RE: development of the more subtle nuances and details of the QB position. The question is how much he will be asked to play from the pocket given his outstanding running traits and develop the skills needed to become a quality higher-level NFL QB prospect.

He showed flashes on specific plays of being able to play with poise in the pocket, staying patient and finding secondary receivers in progressions, with the question being can he develop that trait at a needed higher level with more reps and experience; Richardson falls into the traits category of size, arm strength, and athleticism, and many will see him as a special prospect solely for that reason, with the belief that he can be coached and taught the more refined mental and physical details of the position.

The main question is ball placement, which was a significant issue for Richardson, and the bottom line is if you can’t place the ball where you want and need to, then you are going to struggle at the next level.

Overall, Richardson will likely be drafted early in the first round because of his physical profile and his ability to make explosive individual plays with his arm and legs, but there is much work to be done RE: pre-snap and post-snap recognition and understanding, and ball placement.

I could see Richardson early in his career working in an offense similar to the Eagles’ with Jalen Hurts, with multiple run game concepts that start with the QB and a pass game that works off the run game with defined reads and throws, given the greater predictability of defensive alignments and coverages.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stitches said:

[snip]How’d playing early work out for 2022 second overall pick Zach Wilson, also inexperienced coming out of college? Not good. How did sitting most of his rookie year work out for Patrick Mahomes? Great.[/snip]

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I get he needs reps. But he needs to learn how to QB in the NFL before he gets thrown to the wolves.

I'm really interested in how well Jordan Love does. Rodgers sat before him and he sat behind Rodgers. If Love turns out to be another great how can the rest of the NFL not pay attention?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

This is exactly what I've been thinking. I get he needs reps. But he needs to learn how to QB in the NFL before he gets thrown to the wolves.

I'm really interested in how well Jordan Love does. Rodgers sat before him and he sat behind Rodgers. If Love turns out to be another great how can the rest of the NFL not pay attention?

Very true.

I will say in Wilson's case his personality and attitude are some of the biggest detractors to his success. He showed almost no humility last season and blamed everyone else for his shortcomings and issues. Not really a good mark of a leader or someone who is willing to learn on the run. 

He'd make a capable boss at a high school though! (Sorry principals...) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pelt said:

He could have stayed in college to get more experience, but I think he would've had to have gone into the transfer portal to a better situation than what is in place at Florida right now.

No need to transfer and start at a new college if you are going to be the 4th pick.  Now hes signing a big contract and going to better coaching than he would have got in college

• Like 1