Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday says thanks

ojsglove

8 hours ago, ojsglove said:

I am talking about our fan base treating one of our own ring of honor players like he is trash.  

When you started replying to @jared, he had clearly mentioned he wants nothing to do with Jeff as the coach for Colts, and he respected him as a player. 

Nowhere it suggests that he treats Saturday like trash. I think you're reading too much into all this, and getting upset. 

9 hours ago, ojsglove said:

That is exactly why the culture of this team, an fan base is lame.  A true fan sticks with the team, win or lose, through the good times and the bad.  You can disagree with the owner, coach, gm, and the whole organization, but you stay true to the team, and never disrespect any of them.  Jeff was put into a no win situation, he knew that, everyone knew that, but he stood up.  To disrespect him, pretty much tells me all I need to know about you as a fan. 

I don't get where exactly @Jared Cisneros disrespected Jeff. He said Irsay hired Jeff to tank for us, that would get the franchise QB. that's his opinion or judgement on Jeff as the coach. That doesn't disrespect him as a person or former player who is in Ring of Honor.

If we start judging every comment for their opinion, it would look like everyone is disrespecting someone else on the Colts, and no one can have any opinion and say it here. 

It will look bad on you as well when you tend to have a strong or harsh opinion on another subject. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, folks on both sides of Saturday need to let it go. There is a new chapter of Colts football to look forward to.

Yes, Saturday didn't deserve all the acrimony aimed at him because of the position Irsay put him in. We have bigger fish to fry now, namely the AFC South. Looking back doesn't truly help us moving forward because most likely, we won't get posters to change their stances or minds. So the best thing we can do is to move forward. Peace. :thmup:

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We dodged a bullet. Lol

I agree, this played out great and 99% of the media say this was a smart move by Irsay/Ballard. How anyone can complain about this hire is just a negative Nancy lmao . Almost nobody in here wanted Jeff and most wanted Reich gone, so lets see what this guy has.

46 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We dodged a bullet. Lol

Yeah, coaching role is different than HC. Orlovsky, after seeing what Saturday went through in light of the talking heads and everything else, probably said to himself "I have a cushy job at ESPN where I don't lose my job if I am wrong and a team winning games doesn't affect me or vice versa, get to play armchair OC and armchair QB, and paid well for it, so why bother!!!". Same reason Bill Polian won't come back to being GM.

4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Now, don't you feel bad that you signed that petition?

No, not at all.  

The petition wasn’t about Saturday the person,  it was about Saturday the coach and the decision to hire him.   I’m fine with that.   And it did zero harm to anyone, which I said publicly back when I signed it. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

When you started replying to @jared, he had clearly mentioned he wants nothing to do with Jeff as the coach for Colts, and he respected him as a player. 

Nowhere it suggests that he treats Saturday like trash. I think you're reading too much into all this, and getting upset. 

I don't get where exactly @Jared Cisneros disrespected Jeff. He said Irsay hired Jeff to tank for us, that would get the franchise QB. that's his opinion or judgement on Jeff as the coach. That doesn't disrespect him as a person or former player who is in Ring of Honor.

If we start judging every comment for their opinion, it would look like everyone is disrespecting someone else on the Colts, and no one can have any opinion and say it here. 

It will look bad on you as well when you tend to have a strong or harsh opinion on another subject. 

Jared, like many here, totally missed what Jeff did while he lead the Team.
 It was incomprehinsible to them. He like most, even blamed Jeff for our defensive woes. This is typical, shallow, lacking in common sense venting.  
 Buckner and Leonard standing up for Jeff meant NOTHING to them. 
  IMO that said Plenty!

15 hours ago, ojsglove said:

I think Jeff was disrespected by anyone who signed the stupid petition.  I'm sure it had little, if any affect on choosing the new HC.  I just find it hard to believe that a true Colts fan would be so disrespectful to one of our own. 

His wife and son signed it so I dont think so

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The damn petition was disrespectful. Did I want Jeff as headcoach moving forward now, no. Having said that Jeff didn't deserve that crap. 

I disagree. The petition was the vocal minorities way of expressing how they dont believe Saturday was qualified for the position which he wasnt. If he had went 7-1 I dont think anyone would have objected. Just imagine someone taking over a multibillion dollar company and under their leadership the company posts the two biggest losses in the companies history. Would you keep that man in charge or make him step down.

15 hours ago, ojsglove said:

I think Jeff was disrespected by anyone who signed the stupid petition.  I'm sure it had little, if any affect on choosing the new HC.  I just find it hard to believe that a true Colts fan would be so disrespectful to one of our own. 

The petition was ok the death threats were not

Just now, Stephen said:

The petition was ok the death threats were not

100% agree. It's just a dang game. 

Jeff will be okay even with all the negativity he's received. Most fans like myself will continue to like him and appreciate what he's done for the team and state over the years. And heck, now he's technically got NFL level coaching experience so who knows what he'll do next. 

53 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, coaching role is different than HC. Orlovsky, after seeing what Saturday went through in light of the talking heads and everything else, probably said to himself "I have a cushy job at ESPN where I don't lose my job if I am wrong and a team winning games doesn't affect me or vice versa, get to play armchair OC and armchair QB, and paid well for it, so why bother!!!". Same reason Bill Polian won't come back to being GM.

I think this just proves if Saturday had been HC Dan would of had a role.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

They may not.   But the GM and the owner sure do.   

If a team doesn’t put a competitive team on the field maybe there’s a reason why.   

I disagree.  They do not reach that level without having personal pride in what they do.

I understand your point of view though.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

The whole dang petition thing was a joke in itself.

that said, Jeff showed his true class in this thank you video. While I did not want him as the next head coach, I appreciate a man (or a woman) that steps into a no win situation and tries their best to turn the tide. Even when they know deep down, the deck is stacked against them. That takes fortitude and courage. 

yeah it’s just a game, but it translates over to the real world too. And I think that gets lost in this simply because fans typically focus on wins and losses and it’s easy to find a source to vent on when things go south. 

so to Jeff, thank you for your brief time as HC and your efforts. I wish you and your family the best going forward. 

And maybe over time this was a start for him in gaining experience.  

13 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He accepted the job knowing his lack of experience. He knew the team he was taking over. If he wasn't doing it to help Irsay tank, then he did it to get HC experience and it backfired. If he was doing it to help the organization tank, then he did his job and I thank both Irsay and him for putting us in a great draft position. I'm fine with that. The only problem myself and others had was that Saturday made the final 4 in candidates and it was scary that he could get hired. 

How did it backfire? He got to see alot of things but with his hands TIED. Stick to Madden. Players raved about how he would motivate and seek excellence. He had accountability that guys were lacking. Lots of people nowadays only see what they wanna see and assume alot of things they don't know. 

Jeff showed alot of positives in the interm role. And there is no guarantee of Shane doing any better then Jeff when comparing apples to apples.  I will be rooting for Shane to succeed just as much as i would have been wanting Jeff. 

Nobody knows what anybody can do until given the chance. The interm stint was NOT A CHANCE for Jeff. I was a scrimmage for Jeff in football terms, in my eyes.

Shane is getting a CHANCE. 

2 minutes ago, strt182 said:

How did it backfire? He got to see alot of things but with his hands TIED. Stick to Madden. Players raved about how he would motivate and seek excellence. He had accountability that guys were lacking. Lots of people nowadays only see what they wanna see and assume alot of things they don't know. 

Jeff showed alot of positives in the interm role. And there is no guarantee of Shane doing any better then Jeff when comparing apples to apples.  I will be rooting for Shane to succeed just as much as i would have been wanting Jeff. 

Nobody knows what anybody can do until given the chance. The interm stint was NOT A CHANCE for Jeff. I was a scrimmage for Jeff in football terms, in my eyes.

Shane is getting a CHANCE. 

True shane will get to pick some of his own guys. If Jeff truely wants to be a head coach someday I think he should get a coordinator job somewhere. Like how reggie is starting as wr coach and then move up

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

His wife and son signed it so I dont think so

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Saturday was joking….,,  

11 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yep but it was funny anyway

I wouldn't doubt it if they did. I don't think they did but it sure was funny. Jeff don't really care what anybody thinks of him really. He knows he is loved by the fans and he loves the fans and the Colts. That dude bleeds BLUE i am sure. 

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

True shane will get to pick some of his own guys. If Jeff truely wants to be a head coach someday I think he should get a coordinator job somewhere. Like how reggie is starting as wr coach and then move up

I do agree with this. Thats why I would have liked to see him working with the OL.  

What alot of fans don't look at is who Jeff was coached and learned by and how many HOF greats he played with. 

• Superman changed the title to Jeff Saturday says thanks
4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Thank you for this post. People can't separate how I feel about Jeff, the coach, from Jeff, the player, or Jeff, the person. I never said anything about him being a bad player or a bad person, i merely trashed his coaching ability based on actual evidence before and after the fact that many people in NFL circles were also doing.

For a bunch of so-called adults on this forum, a lot of them act like children when someone gives criticism on someone they hold to a high pedestal. They can't even separate Saturday the coach, from Saturday the player and man.

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Because we can get a QB that's young that has some sort of shot of becoming good enough to make us contenders in this monster AFC conference of QBs. I'm also willing to admit that teams make attempts to tank all the time in sports (although most don't work). Yes, we could go 8-8 and have the 18th pick or whatever, but we miss the playoffs that way, and we'd have to trade multiple 1sts to move up and grab the same QB we could take at 4 here with one pick.

If you aren't going to make the playoffs, then tank and grab your franchise QB if you are the Colts. That's what we did, and it was an intentional move by Irsay hiring Saturday as the interim HC. Even my mother can put 2+2 together and figure out that Saturday was the least qualified person as a coach in 61 years since Norm Van Brocklin. His performance showed that 100% and Irsay knew that would happen.

I don't want to waste 5 years trying to develop a rookie in the middle of the 1st round, I want a guy who can start right away and succeed. If it fails, oh well, try again. I'm proud to tank for one year in order to put myself in position to have a better chance of winning multiple SBs in the future. What's the alternative, an 9-8 season that's meaningless like 2021 where we miss the playoffs?

people wanted to win games when we were 4-9   imagine the spot we would be in right now if we had the 10th or higher pick .   we would be trading the farm to try and move up and still might not be able to move up .    now we are at 4 and the future is brighter

Just now, coming on strong said:

people wanted to win games when we were 4-9   imagine the spot we would be in right now if we had the 10th or higher pick .   we would be trading the farm to try and move up and still might not be able to move up .    now we are at 4 and the future is brighter

Yep, and those same people would be complaining that we'd have to give up multiple 1st round picks for a franchise QB that isn't a guarantee like Manning or Luck if it happened. But then they get to be happy about being no4 overall and reap the rewards even though they were against tanking all along. Lot of people are hypocrites in that regard.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I can see you found some tin foil and made a hat out of it. LoL 

Coming from you, that might be the most unintentionally funny thing said in the history of this website.  

What threw you off?   The facts?   The logic?    Or the common sense?  

All you did was attack me.   But you didn’t attack the argument.    Why?   Because you can’t.   

But ….   Carry on!     :thmup:

14 hours ago, ojsglove said:

That is exactly why the culture of this team, an fan base is lame.  A true fan sticks with the team, win or lose, through the good times and the bad.  You can disagree with the owner, coach, gm, and the whole organization, but you stay true to the team, and never disrespect any of them.  Jeff was put into a no win situation, he knew that, everyone knew that, but he stood up.  To disrespect him, pretty much tells me all I need to know about you as a fan. 

Why, shouldn't a true fan want what's best for the team? Being a fan of a sport where owners and players make millions means you should get value.  You hear the term this is business get thrown around. I love my VW but if they sell me a crap car I may stop buying them. NFL is not cheap. I've dropped 600$ plus travel and hotel to watch a game live. If the product is crap why do I have to bag hold a team? I'm willing to watch a bad team but if I see an owner making poor decisions I start asking questions.  Saturday was an incredible player and he had his place as an interim coach but now it's time to be serious.  It's time to build a winner. The culture of this team and fan base should accept nothing less than doing everything to be the best.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

I appreciate Jeff Saturday's gracious thank you message. I hope things go well for him moving forward. If he really wants to be an NFL coach, I think his best move is to get an assistant position with a team other than the Colts.

Bill Polian was fired for his nepotism gone wrong. Nepotism and favoritism happens in many walks of life and many levels in every part of the world. The NFL is no different but it was hard to sell Saturday as HC material for me, at the time he was hired, and during the interview process as well. I understand every bit of fan frustration that came with it, that is why I won't speak against it. The extent of frustration, that depends on each individual. I have a line I won't cross but if others want to, I won't sit and tell them how to feel.

For those who live by the "no shortcuts in life without earning it" philosophy, Saturday was and will continue to be a hard sell for anything but a position coach for me. I wish him the best and like you said, IF he has the inclination to earn it as a position coach, I am sure there won't be a shortage of opportunities.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I appreciate Jeff Saturday's gracious thank you message. I hope things go well for him moving forward. If he really wants to be an NFL coach, I think his best move is to get an assistant position with a team other than the Colts.

I never thought about that but you're right. If he came back with the Colts it would be extremely awkward , considering he was the HC. That would be "another " first in NLF coaching hires ... at least I think it would be.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Coming from you, that might be the most unintentionally funny thing said in the history of this website.  

What threw you off?   The facts?   The logic?    Or the common sense?  

All you did was attack me.   But you didn’t attack the argument.    Why?   Because you can’t.   

But ….   Carry on!     :thmup:

You should know that I was only messing with you in good fun. 

But I will attack your foolish argument:

Not for one second do I believe that the great Ballard(in his own mind) would purposely tank in the very first season of his Dream job, being a GM in the NFL. In fact I seriously doubt he would ever tank. 

He's a Draft guru, great talent evaluater, he doesn't need a Top 5 pick to have a good draft. 

The reason Tolzein was on the opening day roster was because he was left over from Griggs, not to tank. If he wanted to tank, tolzein would have played more than one or two games and brissett  wouldn't have been traded for, and certainly not that quickly.

The reason there was so much cap space was because the colts and Irsay are thrifty, not to tank. The colts were among the top teams with most cap space in succeeding years too. Again not to tank, but put more money in irsays bank account. Its normal for the colts to have lots of cap space.

And having a Bad first draft didn't help pile up the wins either. And of course I think our #1 QB being out all year contributed to the losses too. Lol 

Sounds like your still trying to justify that bad first season under ballard. Think what you want, but to say Ballard purposely tanked his first season, or any season for that matter is not only 100% wrong but a insult to him. 

26 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You should know that I was only messing with you in good fun. 

But I will attack your foolish argument:

Not for one second do I believe that the great Ballard(in his own mind) would purposely tank in the very first season of his Dream job, being a GM in the NFL. In fact I seriously doubt he would ever tank. 

He's a Draft guru, great talent evaluater, he doesn't need a Top 5 pick to have a good draft. 

The reason Tolzein was on the opening day roster was because he was left over from Griggs, not to tank. If he wanted to tank, tolzein would have played more than one or two games and brissett  wouldn't have been traded for, and certainly not that quickly.

The reason there was so much cap space was because the colts and Irsay are thrifty, not to tank. The colts were among the top teams with most cap space in succeeding years too. Again not to tank, but put more money in irsays bank account. Its normal for the colts to have lots of cap space.

And having a Bad first draft didn't help pile up the wins either. And of course I think our #1 QB being out all year contributed to the losses too. Lol 

Sounds like your still trying to justify that bad first season under ballard. Think what you want, but to say Ballard purposely tanked his first season, or any season for that matter is not only 100% wrong but a insult to him. 

My Ballard views are not new.  I’ve had this view since the success of the 2018 season.   In one season the Colts went from 4-12 to 10-6 and a playoff win.   I don’t have to justify anything.  The record speaks for itself. 

Ballard was on the Rich Eisen show last May.   It’s up on YouTube.   He’d been the Colts GM for 6 seasons, 17-22.   He was asked how many drafts had he done for the Colts.   He said 5.   I don’t think that was a mis-speak. 

Ballard does NOT view the 17 season as part of his record.   And neither does Irsay.   If he did, he would not have extended CB out to SIX seasons prior to the 21 season.   If he did, he would not have called Ballard the best GM in football just prior to the 22 season.    The two men agreed they’d use the 17 season to start the rebuild.   Why would they want to win 6 or 8 games?   They were fine winning just 4. 

As for you and me?   Why should I have known you were only joking with me?  You almost always give me a disapproving emoji.  Why should this be any different?   You say nice things to me PRIVATELY.  But PUBLICLY you disagree with almost everything I post.   And it’s not limited to my opinions.   I could make a statement of fact and you’ll disagree.   And you’re just doing it to me because I disagree with most of your views.   So there was no reason to think you’re just kidding with me.  

Our relationship….  Well…. It’s complicated.     :peek:

I have already posted this in a different thread sometime ago but wanted to add a quick rehash on Mr. Saturday. I spent ten years working with the Colts and their security detail during training camps. Jeff Saturday was the lone player who insisted on signing autographs every day camp was in session. He also made the other O-lineman sign if they were riding on the same cart he was on. He was my favorite player bar none for his appreciation for Colt fans. He got/get's it.

15 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Jared, like many here, totally missed what Jeff did while he lead the Team.
 It was incomprehinsible to them. He like most, even blamed Jeff for our defensive woes. This is typical, shallow, lacking in common sense venting.  
 Buckner and Leonard standing up for Jeff meant NOTHING to them. 
  IMO that said Plenty!

Agreed that Jeff was put in a no-win situation, and with little coaching experience and no OC or any one to install any coherent offense or to call plays, did everything he could to save the face of the franchise. 

But, as expected, as you or someone else said to be in no-win position, it didn't go well towards the end of the season. That unfortunately will be associated as the record for him as an NFL coach. 

Only way he can redeem himself as a coach is to join someone's staff and grow up in the coaching ranks. Or he has nothing to prove and he could get back to his previous job. He only had to repay the faith Irsay had in him, and he had done that job last season. 

Archived