Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Saturday says thanks

ojsglove

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, PeytsBlocker said:

I have already posted this in a different thread sometime ago but wanted to add a quick rehash on Mr. Saturday. I spent ten years working with the Colts and their security detail during training camps. Jeff Saturday was the lone player who insisted on signing autographs every day camp was in session. He also made the other O-lineman sign if they were riding on the same cart he was on. He was my favorite player bar none for his appreciation for Colt fans. He got/get's it.

I don't think anyone questions his kindness or classiness or how well he represented the Colts organization. One just can't confuse that with being qualified for a HC position.

7 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Agreed that Jeff was put in a no-win situation, and with little coaching experience and no OC or any one to install any coherent offense or to call plays, did everything he could to save the face of the franchise. 

But, as expected, as you or someone else said to be in no-win position, it didn't go well towards the end of the season. That unfortunately will be associated as the record for him as an NFL coach. 

Only way he can redeem himself as a coach is to join someone's staff and grow up in the coaching ranks. Or he has nothing to prove and he could get back to his previous job. He only had to repay the faith Irsay had in him, and he had done that job last season. 

Agree with all the bolded.

I also doubt he would have left his ESPN job for a position coach role whatsoever. Orlovsky, he can be armchair OC and QB all he wants as an ESPN analyst but the daily grind of being an OC, coaching up the QB etc. may not be what he wants to sign up for when he gets paid just as well or better being in the booth giving his expert comments. However, if Orlovsky was offered a HC position, he would take it in a heartbeat because of the power and experience on the resume it brings that it would be worth the grind to him.

5 hours ago, tfunky14 said:

Can you share facts when this happen or just hear say?

Teams don’t publicly admit such things.   It’s a bad look.   But I have other posts in this thread where I make the case.  

I have no hearsay.   I offer only my opinion. 

My first post about this is toward the bottom of page one.   There’s a little more in the thread.  Hope you’ll consider them.  

Remember, in 2017, Ballard’s first year, he didn’t have his head coach of choice, nor his coordinators and assistants.   Irsay asked him to keep Pagano and his staff for a year.   They were not running the systems that Ballard believed in.  Ballard didn’t have Luck who missed the year with injury sand he operated without his front office.   Those guys got hired later.    

When Ballard hit all those pieces in one year year things turned around from 4-12 to 10-6 and a playoff win.  In one year. 

Anyway, there’s more in my other posts for consideration.   

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Teams don’t publicly admit such things.   It’s a bad look.   But I have other posts in this thread where I make the case.  

I have no hearsay.   I offer only my opinion. 

My first post about this is toward the bottom of page one.   There’s a little more in the thread.  Hope you’ll consider them.  

Remember, in 2017, Ballard’s first year, he didn’t have his head coach of choice, nor his coordinators and assistants.   Irsay asked him to keep Pagano and his staff for a year.   They were not running the systems that Ballard believed in.  Ballard didn’t have Luck who missed the year with injury sand he operated without his front office.   Those guys got hired later.    

When Ballard hit all those pieces in one year year things turned around from 4-12 to 10-6 and a playoff win.  In one year. 

Anyway, there’s more in my other posts for consideration.   

You do know that one year was the K. Collins year. That one year when Manning had the neck surgery. 

If you do not have any proof of GM/Owners tanking to improve their draft order then do us all a favor and don't post your nonsense then. 

13 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

You do know that one year was the K. Collins year. That one year when Manning had the neck surgery. 

If you do not have any proof of GM/Owners tanking to improve their draft order then do us all a favor and don't post your nonsense then. 

Huh? 

The Kerry Collins year was 2011, the year before Luck was drafted by Ryan Grigson.

I’ve been talking about 2017!  Chris Ballard’s first year.   I haven’t said a word about 2011, only 2017.  

I don’t know how you could mix that up?

And I never said I had proof.   I offered my opinion, clearly marked as opinion.   You don’t agree with it?   Good for you, stand in line.   Plenty of people reject that view, most are haters of Chris Ballard.  

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh? 

The Kerry Collins year was 2011, the year before Luck was drafted by Ryan Grigson.

I’ve been talking about 2017!  Chris Ballard’s first year.   I haven’t said a word about 2011, only 2017.  

I don’t know how you could mix that up?

And I never said I had proof.   I offered my opinion, clearly marked as opinion.   You don’t agree with it?   Good for you, stand in line.   Plenty of people reject that view, most are haters of Chris Ballard.  

Dude needs glasses See Season 16 GIF by The Simpsons

13 hours ago, chad72 said:

Agree with all the bolded.

I also doubt he would have left his ESPN job for a position coach role whatsoever. Orlovsky, he can be armchair OC and QB all he wants as an ESPN analyst but the daily grind of being an OC, coaching up the QB etc. may not be what he wants to sign up for when he gets paid just as well or better being in the booth giving his expert comments. However, if Orlovsky was offered a HC position, he would take it in a heartbeat because of the power and experience on the resume it brings that it would be worth the grind to him.

Exactly, that's what it was for Jeff as well. 

On 2/15/2023 at 7:22 PM, NewColtsFan said:

My Ballard views are not new.  I’ve had this view since the success of the 2018 season.   In one season the Colts went from 4-12 to 10-6 and a playoff win.   I don’t have to justify anything.  The record speaks for itself. 

Ballard was on the Rich Eisen show last May.   It’s up on YouTube.   He’d been the Colts GM for 6 seasons, 17-22.   He was asked how many drafts had he done for the Colts.   He said 5.   I don’t think that was a mis-speak. 

Ballard does NOT view the 17 season as part of his record.   And neither does Irsay.   If he did, he would not have extended CB out to SIX seasons prior to the 21 season.   If he did, he would not have called Ballard the best GM in football just prior to the 22 season.    The two men agreed they’d use the 17 season to start the rebuild.   Why would they want to win 6 or 8 games?   They were fine winning just 4. 

As for you and me?   Why should I have known you were only joking with me?  You almost always give me a disapproving emoji.  Why should this be any different?   You say nice things to me PRIVATELY.  But PUBLICLY you disagree with almost everything I post.   And it’s not limited to my opinions.   I could make a statement of fact and you’ll disagree.   And you’re just doing it to me because I disagree with most of your views.   So there was no reason to think you’re just kidding with me.  

Our relationship….  Well…. It’s complicated.     :peek:

Sorry for the delayed response. 

I was in the Bahamas a couple days....I know you like to vacation and Bahamas are far from you, but I think you'd enjoy. Not that different from South Florida or probably Southern California but I like the white sand beaches and golf courses. But we both have that close by but Bahamas is not far from me, 3000 miles from you. 

Anyway i'll address first my sad emojis on your posts because you certainly give plenty out yourself and many to me. Lol. But we do usually see things different or at least you post views that are usually different and that's ok. But your post on Ballard tanking and you staying away here more if Saturday was hired and some criticism of Ballard here and there makes me think maybe, just maybe you think things a bit differently than the homer, stick by management and the High Integrity of the Colts and League. 

I disagree colts tanked in ballads first season but wouldn't disagree that the Colts and other teams aren't that interested in winning in certain seasons, some franchises in most seasons it seems. 

Tanking and not interested in winning aren't that far apart imo, at least tanking your trying to get top draft pick which is good for the future. I don't think the colts tanked this season, they played toe2toe with  cowboys for three qtrs, almost beat the eagles who played awful,.had Washington beat, a gigantic lead on the Files  and lost on a hail merry to the Texans. Some here think we tanked but Saturday wanted the gig so I don't know?? Glad we did lose as many as we did. Lol

Here's to more joking and less sad emojis...... .....maybe? :funny: 

On 2/15/2023 at 6:22 PM, NewColtsFan said:

My Ballard views are not new.  I’ve had this view since the success of the 2018 season.   In one season the Colts went from 4-12 to 10-6 and a playoff win.   I don’t have to justify anything.  The record speaks for itself. 

Ballard was on the Rich Eisen show last May.   It’s up on YouTube.   He’d been the Colts GM for 6 seasons, 17-22.   He was asked how many drafts had he done for the Colts.   He said 5.   I don’t think that was a mis-speak. 

Ballard does NOT view the 17 season as part of his record.   And neither does Irsay.   If he did, he would not have extended CB out to SIX seasons prior to the 21 season.   If he did, he would not have called Ballard the best GM in football just prior to the 22 season.    The two men agreed they’d use the 17 season to start the rebuild.   Why would they want to win 6 or 8 games?   They were fine winning just 4. 

As for you and me?   Why should I have known you were only joking with me?  You almost always give me a disapproving emoji.  Why should this be any different?   You say nice things to me PRIVATELY.  But PUBLICLY you disagree with almost everything I post.   And it’s not limited to my opinions.   I could make a statement of fact and you’ll disagree.   And you’re just doing it to me because I disagree with most of your views.   So there was no reason to think you’re just kidding with me.  

Our relationship….  Well…. It’s complicated.     :peek:

Oh, well if Ballard doesn’t view that season as part of his record then that seals it — Neither should anyone. Lol! That’s a Hall of Fame comment from you.  “Strike the 4 win season from thy record,” commands Ballard. “Only my 10 win seasons shall count on my record!”  

Salesman: “Hey boss, that lousy year I had, when I had no sales, I’m not counting that one ok?” 

2 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Oh, well if Ballard doesn’t view that season as part of his record then that seals it — Neither should anyone. Lol! That’s a Hall of Fame comment from you.  “Strike the 4 win season from thy record,” commands Ballard. “Only my 10 win seasons shall count on my record!”  

Salesman: “Hey boss, that lousy year I had, when I had no sales, I’m not counting that one ok?” 

The boss is Jim Irsay.   And he rewarded Ballard with a contract extension out to six years.  And he didn’t have to.   Ballard’s first contract still had years in it.  He did that because he agrees with Ballard.  In the days leading up to the 2022 season he publicly called Chris Ballard the best GM in football.  

Those things are called facts.   If you’d ever stop trying to catch me in some gotcha moment with your opinion and snark, you might find that the facts back up the positions I take.    Your call. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The boss is Jim Irsay.   And he rewarded Ballard with a contract extension out to six years.  And he didn’t have to.   Ballard’s first contract still had years in it.  He did that because he agrees with Ballard.  In the days leading up to the 2022 season he publicly called Chris Ballard the best GM in football.  

Those things are called facts.   If you’d ever stop trying to catch me in some gotcha moment with your opinion and snark, you might find that the facts back up the positions I take.    Your call. 

Listen, it was a dopey comment from you. Just don’t count it on your record! 

16 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Listen, it was a dopey comment from you. Just don’t count it on your record! 

It’s clear now you’re allergic to facts.   You value opinion over facts. 

I suspect you’ll be someone that disagrees with most everything I believe.   That’s fine.   You won’t be the first.   But at least I know where things stand.  

Good luck. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s clear now you’re allergic to facts.   You value opinion over facts. 

I suspect you’ll be someone that disagrees with most everything I believe.   That’s fine.   You won’t be the first.   But at least I know where things stand.  

Good luck. 

You’re always accusing other posters of only stating opinions and your opinions are magically facts. You quote something Irsay says or does and then include it in your little library of facts. Irsay extended Pagano and Grigson and fired them. He said Frank was safe and then fired him. Irsay saying something does not make it something he actually believes. He talks gibberish or for PR purposes all the time. Irsay calling GB the best GM in football is a perfect example. It’s *ic. You take it as proof that he didn’t count the 4-win season on his record. This back and forth is because you want to remove CB’s four win season off his record. I’ve honestly never heard of anyone in sports saying this — the first year doesn’t count or the year without Luck doesn’t count. I mean, what? Good grief, are you his agent or his uncle? I know you worship CB but it’s ok that he had a rough first season. You can’t wish it away. 

32 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

You’re always accusing other posters of only stating opinions and your opinions are magically facts. You quote something Irsay says or does and then include it in your little library of facts. Irsay extended Pagano and Grigson and fired them. He said Frank was safe and then fired him. Irsay saying something does not make it something he actually believes. He talks gibberish or for PR purposes all the time. Irsay calling GB the best GM in football is a perfect example. It’s *ic. You take it as proof that he didn’t count the 4-win season on his record. This back and forth is because you want to remove CB’s four win season off his record. I’ve honestly never heard of anyone in sports saying this — the first year doesn’t count or the year without Luck doesn’t count. I mean, what? Good grief, are you his agent or his uncle? I know you worship CB but it’s ok that he had a rough first season. You can’t wish it away. 

Not interested in trading insults with you.   I’m just letting you know. I will rarely be responding to you in the future I won’t say never, but it won’t happen often.   

It’s a waste of your time and mine.  

Enjoy the website.   Good luck. 

Archived