Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr. Irsay and Mr. Ballard, Stop Messing Around and Call Sean Payton!

philba101

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Payton's not coming here. We need to move on.

He's overrated anyway. Here are the facts:

He had prime Brees for 15 years:

• 1 SB
  • 1 NFC Conference Championship
  • .500 or worse in 5 of those seasons
  • He was 9-8 his last coaching year
  • His SB win was 12 seasons ago

He coached in the much weaker (for this time) NFC.  No Brady. No Manning. No Big Ben. He coached in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL annually. 

Given who had at QB, this record is a disappointment. He's a product of slick marketing.

Prime Brees and he came out of the weaker NFC conference once in 15 years? Not good enough.

Look, I get it that you don't like Sean Payton or feel he is overrated. I can respect that, however I feel like you focused on the negatives of his career as opposed to the positives that he accumulated over a 24 year career. I will still hold his resume up against any of the candidates that the Colts have interviewed and say that the comparisons are not even close. In fact, I would say that Saturday's resume is the complete antithesis to Payton.

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Look, I get it that you don't like Sean Payton or feel he is overrated. I can respect that, however I feel like you focused on the negatives of his career as opposed to the positives that he accumulated over a 24 year career. I will still hold his resume up against any of the candidates that the Colts have interviewed and say that the comparisons are not even close. In fact, I would say that Saturday's resume is the complete antithesis to Payton.

He is way better than Saturday. NO DOUBT.

Beyond that, as a HC based on his accomplishments/facts, he's overhyped. 

4 minutes ago, t-rex said:

He is way better than Saturday. NO DOUBT.

Beyond that, as a HC based on his accomplishments/facts, he's overhyped. 

If I was doing a top 10 head coaching list of all-time, Payton wouldn't make it but probably top 20. Going by just today, Payton would be top 5 with the right QB. We aren't getting him anyway just like we didn't Harbaugh. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I was doing a top 10 head coaching list of all-time, Payton wouldn't make it but probably top 20. Going by just today, Payton would be top 5 with the right QB. We aren't getting him anyway just like we didn't Harbaugh. 

I agree. Top 5 this coaching cycle. IMHO he's just not leaps and bounds over other candidates. Plus, you likely lose a #1 draft pick for his services. 

50 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Payton's not coming here. We need to move on.

He's overrated anyway. Here are the facts:

He had prime Brees for 15 years:

• 1 SB
  • 1 NFC Conference Championship
  • .500 or worse in 5 of those seasons
  • He was 9-8 his last coaching year
  • His SB win was 12 seasons ago

He coached in the much weaker (for this time) NFC.  No Brady. No Manning. No Big Ben. He coached in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL annually. 

Given who had at QB, this record is a disappointment. He's a product of slick marketing.

Prime Brees and he came out of the weaker NFC conference once in 15 years? Not good enough.

So he's the Matt Ryan of HCs...just with more draft capital attached.

I would believe he will come back for the $ and not give the same energy to the job that he did 15 years ago.

So if he cost no picks and would work for $10M, we could do worse.

But i would think that Irsay mostly, but even Ballard, are looking for someone that can be a pillar here for 10+ years.

5 hours ago, philba101 said:

Why not? This is the attitude the Colts have take and it has landed this team near the bottom of the league.

they aren't gonna trade draft picks for a coach.

stop crying about it. 

5 hours ago, philba101 said:

Besides all the convenient excuses that I listed, why does the most experienced and successful coach make no sense for the Colts? I don't get it, do we want to continue on the terrible path that we paved this year.

I literally just said it. The rumors are they want 2 first round picks. Our team is in NO shape to be giving away first round picks. Teams who have the roster to make a run, but need a coaching change, should be targetting him. We are not, as again, we aren't in  a position to be dealing 1st round picks.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, philba101 said:

When the season ended, Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay both reached out to the fans and accepted the blame for a failed season in 2022 and the current trajectory of the Colts. They promised that they had learned from their past mistakes and that they would fix the problem. As promised, the Colts have seemingly interviewed nearly every potential candidate available. That is, every candidate except one specific name, Sean Payton. You know, the guy with the most head coaching experience. Ballard and Irsay plead with the fans to believe them that they will fix this team. It is not going to get fixed by doing the same things we have been doing for the past six years. Payton has one thing that all of the coaches we have interviewed do not. He is a highly experienced and successful head NFL coach who has shown that he knows how to run a team. No other candidate can say this. He is a good play-caller, he has good relationships with his QB's over the years, and he is a proven winner. Over 24 years he has compiled a 222-162-1 coaching record. He collected a Super Bowl (against the Colts) in 2009. He won coach of the year in 2006, and has taken his team to 3 NFC Championships and won 7 divisional titles. I think this resume sounds exactly like what this team needs right now.

I have also have heard just about every excuse as to why the Colts can't get Sean Payton (I am sure you will remind me of the excuses I am forgetting).

1. He will demand too much money (When you compare his resume to the other coaches he should get paid) Mr. Irsay, don't just talk a big game, put your money up to prove it.

2. The Saints will demand a draft pick we don't have- (we have future pick(s) for eternity (This never stops teams like the Rams from getting who they want)

3. He will want too much control (Half the fans are crying about Irsay meddling too much, but they don't want to give too much control to a seasoned, successful coach?

4. He probably doesn't want to come to Indy (He interviewed with the Texans and Panthers for heaven's sake, are you telling me we can't secure an interview with him?)

5. He is overrated. See the resume above. If this is overrated, sign me up right now!

(All of the above seems like the mindset that the Colts have held which has gotten us to our current situation at (4-12-1). Stop using the same outdated, conservative and unsuccessful playbook. Stop making excuses and go for it all. I have said it once, I will say it again. Stop messing around with this and call Sean Payton and make him an offer he cannot refuse. Besides the fact that this is so unlike what Ballard and Irsay would be expected to do, tell me why I am wrong!

You ever consider that they have and he’s not interested before flying off the handle?

14 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

they aren't gonna trade draft picks for a coach.

stop crying about it. 

If we already had a franchise QB on the roster then maybe.  Personally I think he is overrated but that's not a popular view. 

Some just forgot or completely overlook and ignore his part in Bounty Gate. 

On 1/24/2023 at 4:40 PM, philba101 said:

When the season ended, Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay both reached out to the fans and accepted the blame for a failed season in 2022 and the current trajectory of the Colts. They promised that they had learned from their past mistakes and that they would fix the problem. As promised, the Colts have seemingly interviewed nearly every potential candidate available. That is, every candidate except one specific name, Sean Payton. You know, the guy with the most head coaching experience. Ballard and Irsay plead with the fans to believe them that they will fix this team. It is not going to get fixed by doing the same things we have been doing for the past six years. Payton has one thing that all of the coaches we have interviewed do not. He is a highly experienced and successful head NFL coach who has shown that he knows how to run a team. No other candidate can say this. He is a good play-caller, he has good relationships with his QB's over the years, and he is a proven winner. Over 24 years he has compiled a 222-162-1 coaching record. He collected a Super Bowl (against the Colts) in 2009. He won coach of the year in 2006, and has taken his team to 3 NFC Championships and won 7 divisional titles. I think this resume sounds exactly like what this team needs right now.

I have also have heard just about every excuse as to why the Colts can't get Sean Payton (I am sure you will remind me of the excuses I am forgetting).

1. He will demand too much money (When you compare his resume to the other coaches he should get paid) Mr. Irsay, don't just talk a big game, put your money up to prove it.

2. The Saints will demand a draft pick we don't have- (we have future pick(s) for eternity (This never stops teams like the Rams from getting who they want)

3. He will want too much control (Half the fans are crying about Irsay meddling too much, but they don't want to give too much control to a seasoned, successful coach?

4. He probably doesn't want to come to Indy (He interviewed with the Texans and Panthers for heaven's sake, are you telling me we can't secure an interview with him?)

5. He is overrated. See the resume above. If this is overrated, sign me up right now!

(All of the above seems like the mindset that the Colts have held which has gotten us to our current situation at (4-12-1). Stop using the same outdated, conservative and unsuccessful playbook. Stop making excuses and go for it all. I have said it once, I will say it again. Stop messing around with this and call Sean Payton and make him an offer he cannot refuse. Besides the fact that this is so unlike what Ballard and Irsay would be expected to do, tell me why I am wrong!

puke GIF

On 1/25/2023 at 10:13 AM, philba101 said:

Calling him overrated is ridiculous.  He is a top coach who has won it all and they were in the mix in many seasons.  Winning a title in the NFL is extremely hard to do.

But the fact remains that we don't have the dynamic type owner who we need to have in order to attract that level of a proven coach.  That type of owner would probably just throw millions at New Orleans and call it done as a monetary settlement.  Irsay's not that owner.  Irsay is the owner who looks to be on his last legs, hanging on trying to win a ring before he departs this mortal coil.

We are back to trusting in Ballard.  And for the record I will say again I don't think Ballard is a poor GM by any stretch.  The guy knows what he is doing.  But I'd be willing to demote him to waterboy if it meant bringing in a top coach.  Good thing for him is Irsay is not going to do that so we have to hope Ballard helps him get this hire right.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If we already had a franchise QB on the roster then maybe.  Personally I think he is overrated but that's not a popular view. 

Some just forgot or completely overlook and ignore his part in Bounty Gate. 

Irsay is a fan at heart.

We won't see much interaction betwenen us and NE, or NO. 

On 1/24/2023 at 4:40 PM, philba101 said:

Most of those excuses are valid. 

Archived