Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr. Irsay and Mr. Ballard, Stop Messing Around and Call Sean Payton!

philba101

When the season ended, Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay both reached out to the fans and accepted the blame for a failed season in 2022 and the current trajectory of the Colts. They promised that they had learned from their past mistakes and that they would fix the problem. As promised, the Colts have seemingly interviewed nearly every potential candidate available. That is, every candidate except one specific name, Sean Payton. You know, the guy with the most head coaching experience. Ballard and Irsay plead with the fans to believe them that they will fix this team. It is not going to get fixed by doing the same things we have been doing for the past six years. Payton has one thing that all of the coaches we have interviewed do not. He is a highly experienced and successful head NFL coach who has shown that he knows how to run a team. No other candidate can say this. He is a good play-caller, he has good relationships with his QB's over the years, and he is a proven winner. Over 24 years he has compiled a 222-162-1 coaching record. He collected a Super Bowl (against the Colts) in 2009. He won coach of the year in 2006, and has taken his team to 3 NFC Championships and won 7 divisional titles. I think this resume sounds exactly like what this team needs right now.

I have also have heard just about every excuse as to why the Colts can't get Sean Payton (I am sure you will remind me of the excuses I am forgetting).

1. He will demand too much money (When you compare his resume to the other coaches he should get paid) Mr. Irsay, don't just talk a big game, put your money up to prove it.

2. The Saints will demand a draft pick we don't have- (we have future pick(s) for eternity (This never stops teams like the Rams from getting who they want)

3. He will want too much control (Half the fans are crying about Irsay meddling too much, but they don't want to give too much control to a seasoned, successful coach?

4. He probably doesn't want to come to Indy (He interviewed with the Texans and Panthers for heaven's sake, are you telling me we can't secure an interview with him?)

5. He is overrated. See the resume above. If this is overrated, sign me up right now!

(All of the above seems like the mindset that the Colts have held which has gotten us to our current situation at (4-12-1). Stop using the same outdated, conservative and unsuccessful playbook. Stop making excuses and go for it all. I have said it once, I will say it again. Stop messing around with this and call Sean Payton and make him an offer he cannot refuse. Besides the fact that this is so unlike what Ballard and Irsay would be expected to do, tell me why I am wrong!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

When the season ended, Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay both reached out to the fans and accepted the blame for a failed season in 2022 and the current trajectory of the Colts. They promised that they had learned from their past mistakes and that they would fix the problem. As promised, the Colts have seemingly interviewed nearly every potential candidate available. That is, every candidate except one specific name, Sean Payton. You know, the guy with the most head coaching experience. Ballard and Irsay plead with the fans to believe them that they will fix this team. It is not going to get fixed by doing the same things we have been doing for the past six years. Payton has one thing that all of the coaches we have interviewed do not. He is a highly experienced and successful head NFL coach who has shown that he knows how to run a team. No other candidate can say this. He is a good play-caller, he has good relationships with his QB's over the years, and he is a proven winner. Over 24 years he has compiled a 222-162-1 coaching record. He collected a Super Bowl (against the Colts) in 2009. He won coach of the year in 2006, and has taken his team to 3 NFC Championships and won 7 divisional titles. I think this resume sounds exactly like what this team needs right now.

I have also have heard just about every excuse as to why the Colts can't get Sean Payton (I am sure you will remind me of the excuses I am forgetting).

1. He will demand too much money (When you compare his resume to the other coaches he should get paid) Mr. Irsay, don't just talk a big game, put your money up to prove it.

2. The Saints will demand a draft pick we don't have- (we have future pick(s) for eternity (This never stops teams like the Rams from getting who they want)

3. He will want too much control (Half the fans are crying about Irsay meddling too much, but they don't want to give too much control to a seasoned, successful coach?

4. He probably doesn't want to come to Indy (He interviewed with the Texans and Panthers for heaven's sake, are you telling me we can't secure an interview with him?)

5. He is overrated. See the resume above. If this is overrated, sign me up right now!

(All of the above seems like the mindset that the Colts have held which has gotten us to our current situation at (4-12-1). Stop using the same outdated, conservative and unsuccessful playbook. Stop making excuses and go for it all. I have said it once, I will say it again. Stop messing around with this and call Sean Payton and make him an offer he cannot refuse. Besides the fact that this is so unlike what Ballard and Irsay would be expected to do, tell me why I am wrong!

This does not make any sense to the Colts. The Saints will want our top  pick and what has Payton done without  Brees?  Plus, Payton will want full control. Why do u not think Ballard hasnt hired him? They GM is basically giving up  his job once he hires him. That's why there hasn't been that much interest in him. I think the ego maniac  Payton is licking his wounds and rather surprised that teams are not banging down his doors. The only team interested is Denver as the GM has been neutered. I dont think Payton wants it.  I think he knows Wilson has seen  better days. Payton was hot but I think that iron has cooled significantly.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This does not make any sense to the Colts. The Saints will want our top  pick and what has Payton done without  Brees?  Plus, Payton will want full control. Why do u not think Ballard hasnt hired him? They GM is basically giving up  his job once he hires him. That's why there hasn't been that much interest in him. I think the ego maniac  Payton is licking his wounds and rather surprised that teams are not banging down his doors. The only team interested is Denver as the GM has been neutered. I dont think Payton wants it.  I think he knows Wilson has seen  better days. Payton was hot but I think that iron has cooled significantly.

It makes perfect sense. I can't think of anything this team needs more right now than a seasoned, successful coach who knows how to manage a team. Everything else is just a convenient excuse that we have been using for years. We have the picks, we have the money, we don't have the will to do it.

5 minutes ago, runtelldat said:

One of the most overrated coaches. I'm super happy he's not been connected with the Colts. 

He won 7 division titles and a Super Bowl. What OC/DC that we are interviewing has a resume even close to his? If this is overrated then sign me up today. 

51 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Im assuming you also want us to give up all our picks to the Bears to get #1 at the same time while getting Sean Payton right? Uh huh!

34 minutes ago, philba101 said:

He won 7 division titles and a Super Bowl. What OC/DC that we are interviewing has a resume even close to his? If this is overrated then sign me up today. 

Woopty doo, maybe we should hire Gary Kubiak; he won a Superbowl and a couple of division titles and he is way cheaper to boot! Not. 

I honestly don't get why anyone would even consider giving up draft capital for Sean Payton. 

32 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Why not give up a future pick(s) if you think you have a coach who can turn your franchise around?

Because the Colts don't believe he can turn the franchise around. Thank goodness. 

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

Overrated

I'm with the OP on this but it seems like we're going to be a team who plays hot coordinator roulette.  No matter how much I might want it the owner has to be of that level to go get him and our owner is not there.  So here's hoping they make the right choice of hot coordinator.

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

He won 7  titles and made many early exits in the play offs. The superbowl was  gifted to him by the Colts Ala the onside kick. Damnit still mad about that one.

42 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why would Payton want to come to Indy without a franchise QB on the roster? Personally I think he is overrated but that's just me I guess. I also remember his roll in bounty gate. He done his best to cover that up and it was proven he did know about it. 

I don’t think the Colts are going after him, well clearly they aren’t.  However, as for why would he come here without a QB?  The Colts are in position to go get one and one would assume Payton would have a lot of say in which one they go get.  That could be more attractive than inheriting one like Wilson or Murray unless you really like them.  So I don’t think that’s a big reason.  

42 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

made many early exits in the play offs. 

Not to mention that he made the playoffs so many times in an embarrassingly weak NFC South.

Personally, I think he was a good coach, but absolutely not a coach worth giving up draft capital or players to get. I've been glad not to hear Payton as a candidate here. It takes mutual interest and I think the absolute silence there tells you how little interest there is on both sides.

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think the Colts are going after him, well clearly they aren’t.  However, as for why would he come here without a QB?  The Colts are in position to go get one and one would assume Payton would have a lot of say in which one they go get.  That could be more attractive than inheriting one like Wilson or Murray unless you really like them.  So I don’t think that’s a big reason.  

The Texans have 12 picks in this draft including the 2nd and the 12th. Plus extra picks over the next couple of years with the Watson deal. They may draw more attraction than the Colts?

That’s pricey.  I’d be all about Payton but that would be giving up a decent amount. Would never give up this year’s first so if rumors true, giving up two future firsts and a couple picks this year.  Oof.  If Payton and new QB don’t connect, would be giving up prime first rounders regardless.  I’m a Payton believer and think he’d be good, but not a guarantee.  No coach has won a Super Bowl with two different teams.  Shows how hard it is

2 hours ago, GwinnettColt said:

I don't think he has any interest.   Also, I could see Ballard clashing with him.  It would cost Indy too much to get him.   

This.

People forget that it’s Payton’s choice. He made some comments about wanting strong ownership and I think that immediately ruled us out. And no coach that isn’t Tomlin, Reid, BB, or Shanahan is worth giving up picks for.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Texans have 12 picks in this draft including the 2nd and the 12th. Plus extra picks over the next couple of years with the Watson deal. They may draw more attraction than the Colts?

I didn’t say anything about the Texans not being a more attractive job than the Colts or anything about total draft picks in general.  I just challenged the notion that Payton wouldn’t come here because the Colts don’t have a franchise QB on the roster.  The Colts are still in positioning to land a franchise QB in this draft if Payton wants one of them.  

3 hours ago, Shive said:

Not to mention that he made the playoffs so many times in an embarrassingly weak NFC South.

Personally, I think he was a good coach, but absolutely not a coach worth giving up draft capital or players to get. I've been glad not to hear Payton as a candidate here. It takes mutual interest and I think the absolute silence there tells you how little interest there is on both sides.

Ballard is not going to consider him . Like I said any GM that is going to hire him  is basically  signing their death warrant. The only team that would 

probably get him is a team that is cleaning   house.

8 hours ago, philba101 said:

I'll just remind what I said before.... Pay attention to what the colts do, NOT SAY. 

10 hours ago, philba101 said:

He doesn’t want to come to colts he said as much , 

Archived