Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mr. Irsay and Mr. Ballard, Stop Messing Around and Call Sean Payton!

philba101

14 hours ago, philba101 said:

When the season ended, Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay both reached out to the fans and accepted the blame for a failed season in 2022 and the current trajectory of the Colts. They promised that they had learned from their past mistakes and that they would fix the problem. As promised, the Colts have seemingly interviewed nearly every potential candidate available. That is, every candidate except one specific name, Sean Payton. You know, the guy with the most head coaching experience. Ballard and Irsay plead with the fans to believe them that they will fix this team. It is not going to get fixed by doing the same things we have been doing for the past six years. Payton has one thing that all of the coaches we have interviewed do not. He is a highly experienced and successful head NFL coach who has shown that he knows how to run a team. No other candidate can say this. He is a good play-caller, he has good relationships with his QB's over the years, and he is a proven winner. Over 24 years he has compiled a 222-162-1 coaching record. He collected a Super Bowl (against the Colts) in 2009. He won coach of the year in 2006, and has taken his team to 3 NFC Championships and won 7 divisional titles. I think this resume sounds exactly like what this team needs right now.

I have also have heard just about every excuse as to why the Colts can't get Sean Payton (I am sure you will remind me of the excuses I am forgetting).

1. He will demand too much money (When you compare his resume to the other coaches he should get paid) Mr. Irsay, don't just talk a big game, put your money up to prove it.

2. The Saints will demand a draft pick we don't have- (we have future pick(s) for eternity (This never stops teams like the Rams from getting who they want)

3. He will want too much control (Half the fans are crying about Irsay meddling too much, but they don't want to give too much control to a seasoned, successful coach?

4. He probably doesn't want to come to Indy (He interviewed with the Texans and Panthers for heaven's sake, are you telling me we can't secure an interview with him?)

5. He is overrated. See the resume above. If this is overrated, sign me up right now!

(All of the above seems like the mindset that the Colts have held which has gotten us to our current situation at (4-12-1). Stop using the same outdated, conservative and unsuccessful playbook. Stop making excuses and go for it all. I have said it once, I will say it again. Stop messing around with this and call Sean Payton and make him an offer he cannot refuse. Besides the fact that this is so unlike what Ballard and Irsay would be expected to do, tell me why I am wrong!

Over rated.. Drew Brees was his savor

requirements are too high.. draft pick

involve in a scandle...why involve the Colts then

Not worth the hassle

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, philba101 said:

It makes perfect sense. I can't think of anything this team needs more right now than a seasoned, successful coach who knows how to manage a team. Everything else is just a convenient excuse that we have been using for years. We have the picks, we have the money, we don't have the will to do it.

We need a qb .  We aren't sending the 4th overall pick for a coach

1 hour ago, Myles said:

The Colts are the lowest option for Payton.   Houston has the better draft position and a ton of draft picks to start with.  Denver has the QB in place.  

The Colts have reached an all-time low if coaches would rather go to Houston which has been one of the worst teams in the league the last few years. Irsay promised to fix this. It is not going to get fixed by hiring a coach with no experience.

55 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Payton makes no sense for us. Plus the reason why we probably haven't even interviewed him is likely the Saints wanting a 1st this year, which obviously us picking 4th, would never do. So its a no go.

Besides all the convenient excuses that I listed, why does the most experienced and successful coach make no sense for the Colts? I don't get it, do we want to continue on the terrible path that we paved this year.

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because coaches a lone aren’t going to turn your franchise around.  You need players which you get with picks.  

We have all kinds of future picks. This is the limited thinking the Colts have been using that got us to this point.

15 hours ago, Moe said:

I don’t think he would have any interest in the Colts head-coaching job.

He interviews with the Texans and Panthers but not the Colts? I Irsay has driven this team to the complete bottom of the league then he needs to do something drastic to fix it like he promised. Hiring Jeff Saturday is not the kind of drastic I am referring to.

16 hours ago, runtelldat said:

One of the most overrated coaches. I'm super happy he's not been connected with the Colts. 

Why is he so overrated in your opinion? How many coaches in the NFL can say they were was successful over 24 years? He won a Super Bowl, he won coach of the year. How many coaches can say that? He won 7 division titles. Why again is he overrated? Who have the Colts interviewed that has even come close to his resume?

16 hours ago, krunk said:

Im assuming you also want us to give up all our picks to the Bears to get #1 at the same time while getting Sean Payton right? Uh huh!

Not at all unless the Colts love one particular player over the others. Even then, I don't support giving up the house. I have been on record for this. I am not sure any of the top 3 QB's has distinguished themselves over the others. Take the best available guy at #4 or trade down and get more picks if you think you can get a QB you want later.

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He won 7  titles and made many early exits in the play offs. The superbowl was  gifted to him by the Colts Ala the onside kick. Damnit still mad about that one.

The fact that his teams were in the playoffs that many years is proof of his continued success. How many coaches that aren't Bill Belichek can boast about winning a ton of Super Bowls. We haven't won a divisional title since 2014 in what has been one of the weakest divisions in football, and people are laughing off 7 divisional titles, 3 trips to the NFC championship? There is no asterisk in any record book saying the Saints were gifted a Super Bowl title. 

14 hours ago, Shive said:

Not to mention that he made the playoffs so many times in an embarrassingly weak NFC South.

Personally, I think he was a good coach, but absolutely not a coach worth giving up draft capital or players to get. I've been glad not to hear Payton as a candidate here. It takes mutual interest and I think the absolute silence there tells you how little interest there is on both sides.

I have not heard any reason come from the Colts FO as to why they would not pursue Sean Payton. I have heard a lot of speculation from beat writers and fans, but nothing from the Colts.

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I have not heard any reason come from the Colts FO as to why they would not pursue Sean Payton. I have heard a lot of speculation from beat writers and fans, but nothing from the Colts.

I think it's pretty obvious why the Colts haven't interviewed him.

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

This.

People forget that it’s Payton’s choice. He made some comments about wanting strong ownership and I think that immediately ruled us out. And no coach that isn’t Tomlin, Reid, BB, or Shanahan is worth giving up picks for.

If this is true and Jim Irsay has damaged the reputation of this team so bad that no seasoned coach would ever want to come here again, then he needs to step aside and let someone else manage the team before he damages it beyond repair.

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I think it is more of our track record with our fan base which I can't blame them. When have we ever hired a coach here in Indianapolis where people have said 'WOW', he is a game changing coach. He will be great, etc.. Maybe Tony Dungy and many think he is overrated and called him a choke for years. If we really wanted Harbaugh, Irsay could have of got it done, just by making him the highest paid coach in the NFL. We don't want the Harbaugh's or Payton's, we would rather have Jeff Saturday or a DC when this is an offensive league because they will be cheap.

13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

It  is weird that the article starts with the statement that Payton said the Saints would probably ask for a mid-to-late 1st rounder, but then they jump to saying that Loomis expects two first rounders. He can wish for whatever he wants but this is probably why we are hearing rumors that Payton might just go back to Fox. If that happens and Payton goes back to Fox until 20204, then the Saints get nothing for him when his contract expires. I agree the Colts giving up two 1st-rounders for a coach would be dumb. Loomis will likely have to get more realistic if he really wants compensation for Payton.

12 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

He costs 2 first round picks. I bet you didn’t realize that before posting this?? 

That is the rumor of what the Saints want, what they actually get might be quite another story. That is why we are seeing all these stories that Payton might go back to Fox.

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t say anything about the Texans not being a more attractive job than the Colts or anything about total draft picks in general.  I just challenged the notion that Payton wouldn’t come here because the Colts don’t have a franchise QB on the roster.  The Colts are still in positioning to land a franchise QB in this draft if Payton wants one of them.  

Neither the Panthers or Texans have a franchise QB and yet they both secured an interview with Payton. Look, if they Colts interview him and decide he is not the right fit or worth the compensation then fine, no damage is done, but to not interview the most experienced coaching candidate seems strange to say the least. We are the only team with a head coaching vacancy that did not interview him.

16 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Woopty doo, maybe we should hire Gary Kubiak; he won a Superbowl and a couple of division titles and he is way cheaper to boot! Not. 

I honestly don't get why anyone would even consider giving up draft capital for Sean Payton. 

Because the Colts don't believe he can turn the franchise around. Thank goodness. 

You know this how? I missed that statement from the Colts front office. Please post the link, thanks.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think it is more of our track record with our fan base which I can't blame them. When have we ever hired a coach here in Indianapolis where people have said 'WOW', he is a game changing coach. He will be great, etc.. Maybe Tony Dungy and many think he is overrated and called him a choke for years. If we really wanted Harbaugh, Irsay could have of got it done, just by making him the highest paid coach in the NFL. We don't want the Harbaugh's or Payton's, we would rather have Jeff Saturday or a DC when this is an offensive league because they will be cheap.

Sad but apparently true.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is sad. I wanted Harbaugh badly but knew deep down it would not happen. This is a prediction many won't like but I predict we hire Jeff.

I think I am out for a few years if that happens. If after interviewing every candidate except for the one with the most experience, and Ballard recommends, or Irsay goes against his recommendations and takes Saturday, we are in for many more years of what we saw this season in my opinion.

Ballard & Irsay presser:

"Just to recap, we have interviewed Jeff Saturday, Wink Martindale, Eric Bienemy, Rich Bisaccia, Dan Quinn, Aaron Glenn, Mike Kafka, Bubba Ventrone, Brian Callahan, Ejiro Evero, DeMeco Ryans, Raheem Morris, and Shane Steichen. With that, were proud to announce that we've hired Sean Payton to be our next coach."

Yeah, I'm not seeing it.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

I think I am out for a few years if that happens. If after interviewing every candidate except for the one with the most experience, and Ballard recommends, or Irsay goes against his recommendations and takes Saturday, we are in for many more years of what we saw this season in my opinion.

I hope it doesn't happen but you heard it here first. 

Perhaps it isn’t true but I thought he made it known he wasn’t interested in the Colts and their meddling owner. Sounds like a smart guy. But I would rather keep the draft capital anyway…maybe.

The “maybe” is what if Irsay gives Saturday a five-year contract? Yikes, the team collapsed multiple times under his watch. Jim Irsay has overcome a lot of demons in his lifetime and I wonder if those demons are now affecting his judgment.

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

There is nothing set in stone that says it has to be a 1st round pick, the Colts could give multiple future 2's or 3's or some combination of picks.

The saints want two first for him and there reports last week more teams were willing to pay more than just a first for him so try again.

24 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Neither the Panthers or Texans have a franchise QB and yet they both secured an interview with Payton. Look, if they Colts interview him and decide he is not the right fit or worth the compensation then fine, no damage is done, but to not interview the most experienced coaching candidate seems strange to say the least. We are the only team with a head coaching vacancy that did not interview him.

The saints won’t let you interview him until you agree to met their asking price.

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The saints want two first for him and there reports last week more teams were willing to pay more than just a first for him so try again.

They can want the moon for Sean Payton, but it doesn't mean they will get it? Maybe someone will do something stupid like give the Saints a bunch of number one picks. I have not advocated for that, and would not support the Colts doing that. But to not even be in the conversation for the most experienced coaching candidate seems dumb. I know the Sean Payton haters (I am not saying that applies to you) and others want me to stop belaboring this point but everything I have heard up until this point is only assumptions.

1. We assume the Saints are going to get multiple #1 picks

2. We assume Sean Payton doesn't want to be at the Colts

3. We assume the FO doesn't want to pursue Sean Payton

4. We assume that the Panthers, Texans, and Broncos are all more appealing destinations than the Colts. 

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

They can want the moon for Sean Payton, but it doesn't mean they will get it? Maybe someone will do something stupid like give the Saints a bunch of number one picks. I have not advocated for that, and would not support the Colts doing that. But to not even be in the conversation for the most experienced coaching candidate seems dumb. I know the Sean Payton haters (I am not saying that applies to you) and others want me to stop belaboring this point but everything I have heard upon until this point is only assumptions.

1. We assume the Saints are going to get multiple #1 picks

2. We assume Sean Payton doesn't want to be at the Colts

3. We assume the FO doesn't want to pursue Sea Payton

4. We assume that the Panthers, Texans, and Broncos are all more appealing destinations than the Colts. 

I keep hearing people say Denver has the edge and Payton wants to go there, last I looked they don't have a draft pick until 2030 = (sarcasm/exaggeration). They gave up the farm for Russ. What picks could Denver give them?

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I keep hearing people say Denver has the edge and Payton wants to go there, last I looked they don't have a draft pick until 2030 = (sarcasm/exaggeration). They gave up the farm for Russ. What picks could Denver give them?

You pose good questions! The Texans FO has been a nightmare the last few seasons. They are supposed to be that much more appealing because they have the #2 pick instead of the #4 pick?

Payton's not coming here. We need to move on.

He's overrated anyway. Here are the facts:

He had prime Brees for 15 years:

• 1 SB
  • 1 NFC Conference Championship
  • .500 or worse in 5 of those seasons
  • He was 9-8 his last coaching year
  • His SB win was 12 seasons ago

He coached in the much weaker (for this time) NFC.  No Brady. No Manning. No Big Ben. He coached in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL annually. 

Given who had at QB, this record is a disappointment. He's a product of slick marketing.

Prime Brees and he came out of the weaker NFC conference once in 15 years? Not good enough.

7 minutes ago, t-rex said:

Payton's not coming here. We need to move on.

He's overrated anyway. Here are the facts:

He had prime Brees for 15 years:

• 1 SB
  • 1 NFC Conference Championship
  • .500 or worse in 5 of those seasons
  • He was 9-8 his last coaching year
  • His SB win was 12 seasons ago

He coached in the much weaker (for this time) NFC.  No Brady. No Manning. No Big Ben. He coached in one of the weakest divisions in the NFL annually. 

Given who had at QB, this record is a disappointment. He's a product of slick marketing.

Prime Brees and he came out of the weaker NFC conference once in 15 years? Not good enough.

Good post but he did get cheated in 2018 in the NFC Title Game which would have won the Conference. I get your point though. 

Archived