Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But isn't that a limited sample size...one season.  And did the HC confine him, manage him; and maybe Levis has full reign of the playbook?   I'm just saying that I would want to watch tape in order to understand situation and circumstance.

Unfortunately this one season is all we have for Richardson so... We have to do with it what we can. :dunno: 

And again, I don't think people realize at what level Richardson is when it comes to understanding the game and the playbook. He's not as experienced as Levis but Richardson does a lot of things you see NFL QBs do on Sunday. He would call a play, then see the defense lineup and change the protection pre-snap, he would check out of plays at the LoS . He's not yet consistent with it, but he has multitude of snaps where he does full field progressions reads. Again... Not consistent enough with it, but he has tons of anticipation throws on his tape too. IMO a lot of his rawness is a simple product of inexperience+mechanics issues... That's why I actually prefer him to start as soon as possible. He needs reps more than he needs to "sit and learn" watching from the sidelines.

The thing with Jalen Hurts is that he wasn't asked to make big chunk plays in the passing game.  He really is a passing game manager who is aided by great WRs and who can make plays with his legs.  From a passing game perspective, Hurts is a dink and dunker, is he not? I don't think AR sounds like he would be a game manager, but more like a big play deep guy for an Arians offense who could double as a running back.   Steichen coached Herbert and Hurts who were simply better and more experienced QBs coming into the NFL.   I don't know that you can just put it on Steichen that he's going to elevate AR as a prediction.  

Hurts was in the top half of the league in  intended air yards per attempt. Steichen leverages the threat of him running to take shots downfield too and he's been getting better with it too. They don't have to be the exact same QB in order for Steichen to use Richardson's threat to run, in order to create explosive plays. In a certain way, Richardson's skillet is actually better suited for that purpose than Hurts'.

I think ARs role-model in the NFL is Josh Allen, not Jalen Hurts.  Not a bad goal.

I agree year 2, but I don't know what the offense would look like.

Fully agreed. The goal should be for him to play like Josh Allen(style wise), not Jalen Hurts. BUT... IMO in the beginning the offense should look more like Philly's offense with Hurts and hopefully as he improves his pocket passing play, slowly move more towards Josh Allen type.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, stitches said:

I think the moment you draft AR the running game will be defined by AR, not Taylor. And don't get me wrong, of course Taylor at his best would be an asset for this team and for AR, but IMO a QB like AR would benefit from a top tier receiver much more than from a top tier RB. I also think running backs have incredibly short lifespan in the league and I don't love giving huge money to one. I would much rather get a pick(we can trade him for) and the capspace than the risk of JT staying healthy and at the top of his game for his next contract.

There are no top tier wr in the draft. If you take richardson you keep taylor as it be impossible for defenses to stop both in the running game. This would also allow alot of 1 on 1 matchups deep

15 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

They want to trade the guy who would help a rookie QB more than anybody else we have on offense.

These guys make zero sense.

They just like playing GM and coming up with hypotheticals.

But Goat if he played in year one  it wouldn't be till the last 1/4 of the season.

Taylor might be injured by then and the backup we finished with last season actually plays well, has as many moves just not the to the house speed.

And of course many here don't want to bet the house on a huge 2nd contract on a RB. Clearly I concur. Doesn't matter, Irsay wants to win and will pay.

It's a no-brainer Tradition.

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

There are no top tier wr in the draft. If you take richardson you keep taylor as it be impossible for defenses to stop both in the running game. This would also allow alot of 1 on 1 matchups deep

You are talking about in 2024 and if Taylor has the holes to make break- away runs. The long runs are what separates him from the pack.

56 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think Levis has the most bust potential. Anyone that brags and posts body building pics of himself is both self centered and insecure. They will eat him up at the NFL level.

Check out his girlfriend Gia Duddy.  They have been together since PSU days.  She is put together ok too.  Its not like Levis is off alone creeping with himself.  He has some encouragement.   There are more SM pics if you Google Gia Duddy.  There is one of them on the beach that looks like working out is a shared hobby and not a creepy thing.

image.png.a5ffb50d1baffccb37084201372bd69f.png

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This was a really good podcast on the QB decision from Zak and James.

What keefer learned about Levis his pro day. He says he is a great kid. Coaches say that  you never have to ask him to do more. Sometimes he is so OCD about football he has to be asked to unwind some. He won’t except failure.Then keefer mentioned what Steichen  said about being obsessed with football.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/one-percent-better-a-show-about-the-indianapolis-colts/id1477561219?i=1000606791157

This is exactly why Levis will be the pick.  The AR infatuation makes no sense to me.  Not for the Colts with the 4th pick.  

13 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

So, he wasn't obsessed with football...that's my point.

You’ve misread my meaning.   Luck was completely and totally obsessed with football right up to the end.   His entire career until 2019.   2012 thru 2018.   Everything changed for him in 2019. 

In the end he wasn’t willing to sacrifice his marriage for football.    I don’t understand people who hold that against him. 

3 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Makes sense...who on earth would want a generational talent. Lol

Im tired of hearing that Will Levis works hard and is a good kid. If all the other QB prospects don't work hard and are bad kids, then sure those intangibles are important. I really doubt that the other QBs don't have strong work ethics though, but that's for Ballard to make sure he finds out.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is exactly why Levis will be the pick.  The AR infatuation makes no sense to me.  Not for the Colts with the 4th pick.  

Levis is obviously on some sort of hormonal growth substance. He will be way more subject to muscle tears and ligament tears.

52 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

But Goat if he played in year one  it wouldn't be till the last 1/4 of the season.

Taylor might be injured by then and the backup we finished with last season actually plays well, has as many moves just not the to the house speed.

And of course many here don't want to bet the house on a huge 2nd contract on a RB. Clearly I concur. Doesn't matter, Irsay wants to win and will pay.

It's a no-brainer Tradition.

It doesnt really matter. Because whoever plays QB needs to be put in a position to succeed every week. And if AR doesnt play until week 12, he still needs players to support him, and the better they are, the better off he is.

Beyond that, the real problem with what youre saying is that Zack Moss has only played 13 games over the last 2 years himself, and you want to hand him the starting job because he had a couple nice games? 

I dont understand that idea at all.

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Random tweet lol. In all serious  I give this a pretty good chance of happening with SF getting Darnold and the new GM of titans in TN now.

Trey Lance would seem like less risk than Richardson or Levis

1 hour ago, colts89 said:

Im tired of hearing that Will Levis works hard and is a good kid. If all the other QB prospects don't work hard and are bad kids, then sure those intangibles are important. I really doubt that the other QBs don't have strong work ethics though, but that's for Ballard to make sure he finds out.

Here's a pic of Levis.

Arnold Schwarzenegger Fitness GIF

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’ve misread my meaning.   Luck was completely and totally obsessed with football right up to the end.   His entire career until 2019.   2012 thru 2018.   Everything changed for him in 2019. 

In the end he wasn’t willing to sacrifice his marriage for football.    I don’t understand people who hold that against him. 

Would have been nice if he had this epiphany before the draft. 

1 hour ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Would have been nice if he had this epiphany before the draft. 

No doubt.   As big of an admirer as I was of Luck,  I’ve said over and over I’ve never seen an athlete so completely Botch his own retirement as badly as Luck did.  On every possible imaginable level.   A how-to clinic on what NOT TO DO.   And it continues to this day.  

The fact that the fans still don’t know or understand what his final injury was to this day that pushed him over the edge is entirely Luck’s fault.  When he gave a long interview to ESPN in December he could have been much more revealing and forthcoming.   But he wasn’t.  

He’s made his own legacy so complicated with Colts Nation.   So unnecessary.   He’s been his own worst enemy about his own career. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. I always said Luck had a lack of passion for the game and would retire at a young age, and people ridiculed me for it. 

Do you really think if his body didn’t get destroyed he would have still retired that early? Come on. 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. I always said Luck had a lack of passion for the game and would retire at a young age, and people ridiculed me for it. 

You were ridiculed for good reason.   Every known fact about Luck and his passion for the game was the exact opposite of your perception.   You’re wrong and yet here you are claiming you were right.  Opinion over facts.  

He didn’t retire early for a lack of passion.  

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree, but don't put AR into that bucket.  Those QBs run as a means to escape to then throw chunk passes...or they scramble for a first down.  ARs skill is super running ability, like Lamar.  But yeah, elite RB is not the answer for AR, IMO.  I'm not sure that there is one outside of him improving his passing skills.

AR can't throw accurately from the pocket, and now we expect him to throw accurately on the run using different arm angles?

Hurts is with a Philly team that is loaded at a lot of spots.  Its like SEA was back when Wilson was young.  All of that will come due in a few years and Philly will be SEA....a team in high salaried purgatory needing superior talent everywhere to justify paying their QB such a high amount of money.

Richardson tear it up?  He's one player.  You're sounding like AR is going to shed 2 defenders in the pocket, jump over another, sprint at 4.4 speed to the corner, juke 2 guys then stiff arm the third guy to score a 30 yard touchdown.  

That sound like the fans who thought Nelson was a transcendental G who would pancake the DL on the way to the LB and S, LOL.  You know how that worked out.   You're smarter than that.

I go back and forth with Levi but man he has it all. The toughness is really a site to hold.   When u sift thru his tape there is no doubt he is tough enuff. I think staying in the pocket and not been a wimp will appeal to Ballard and Steichen. Rocket arm, athletic, tough, intelligent. He actually kind of reminds me of Luck in terms of attributes. I think Irsay will be in love with him.

Archived