Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They could always take Anderson at 4.  Ballard loves the trench players.  Big decision for sure.  Could always trade back into the 1st or trade for Lamar.  Both choices still out there. 

I don’t think they would of just sat there and not traded to one if there was a chance they didn’t like any of them. I think they have a good idea of these four. Ballard even mentioned liking the depth at QB.

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ballard loves the trench players.  

Ballard probably has QB on his mind a lot more these days, not only with the Colts, but also year round in his own house.  His son is a pretty promising QB for Westfield.  He made one throw last year where I thought, wow, that looked exactly like a throw Luck once made.  Later on when I read the Luck SI article, it made sense.  I didn't know Luck had been working with Ballard's son.

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

Just got an alert on my phone saying "Titans eyeing No. 3 overall pick"

Report: Tennessee looking to move up in draft and select QB, have explored trade with Cardinals for No. 3 pick

Hope they give up a haul to move up to 3 for a QB that has question marks with either Levis or Richardson. Then I hope the Colts trade down, get a haul, and still land a Christian Gonzalez and Hendon Hooker. 

1 minute ago, CheezyColt said:

Just got an alert on my phone saying "Titans eyeing No. 3 overall pick"

Report: Tennessee looking to move up in draft and select QB, have explored trade with Cardinals for No. 3 pick

Why would that be an alert?  If they did trade for 3 i would understand you have a setting for notifications for trades but if not then you should be getting a  notification every minute.

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Why would that be an alert?  If they did trade for 3 i would understand you have a setting for notifications for trades but if not then you should be getting a  notification every minute.

I have it set up for alerts from AFCS teams.  Unfortunately it does include plenty of these "news" bits that aren't really news.

26 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Question. If the Cards pick at 3, do you trade down with the Raiders and let them take Levis? What if the return is the no7 pick and a 1st rounder in 2024. Would you do it?

I would jump on that deal. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

In the story it say they should have their board set by Saturday and know whether Levis or Richardson is worth taking.  

By the time Saturday rolls around someone will have traded with Arizona and Ballard will moan that they didn't have time to do their homework. His take is laughable since they have been scouting these guys for at least a year.

Cowherd thinks the Colts will trade back to accumulate more draft picks and basically tank the season to get their QB next year. He says he could see Irsay and Ballard coming up with this plan and  Steichen signing off on it.

:lol:.... I doubt it. Every year, the "experts" say that next year's QB class is better than than current class. ( Are they soothsayers?)This year's class is so average that the first 4 picks might be QBs. 

15 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Cowherd thinks the Colts will trade back to accumulate more draft picks and basically tank the season to get their QB next year. He says he could see Irsay and Ballard coming up with this plan and  Steichen signing off on it.

:lol:.... I doubt it. Every year, the "experts" say that next year's QB class is better than than current class. ( Are they soothsayers?)This year's class is so average that the first 4 picks might be QBs. 

Well, you can count me in the "that would be incredibly stupid" side of Cowherd's argument.

I'm also a Washington Wizards fan. For years they thought all they had to do to turn the corner was to save up all their free agency money and clear up cap space so they could sign home-town kid Kevin Durant.

They still haven't recovered. 

When you have a shot at a QB you take it. Again --- it was TWENTY years between Bert Jones and Peyton Manning...

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Not sure why titans would do that. Arizona urging put made up rumors go get colts to jump does make sense.

Because hurting your enemy always makes sense.  If we spend additional draft resources to "cut off" the Titans trading up, even when they have no real intention to, then that's less ammo we have to get better.  So Tennessee trying to push us to trade up for no reason does make sense as well.

Now excuse me as I adjust my tin foil hat.

11 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Because hurting your enemy always makes sense.  If we spend additional draft resources to "cut off" the Titans trading up, even when they have no real intention to, then that's less ammo we have to get better.  So Tennessee trying to push us to trade up for no reason does make sense as well.

I think they have real interest in getting a qb, the price may be too high though

I cannot emphasize enough how insane those stats are! It's like... the complete opposite to what one would expect for an inaccurate QB. Extremely high grades on long passes, really good grades on intermediate passes... HORRENDOUS on short(and OK behind the LOS)?!!?!?! How? 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

That wasn't your original point.  You said why would a team do it not knowing who will be available.  The answer is because teams do it all the time.  They think they are making a good trade based on their analysis.  Simple as that. 

Well,   the Colts won't I'm guessing

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

By the time Saturday rolls around someone will have traded with Arizona and Ballard will moan that they didn't have time to do their homework. His take is laughable since they have been scouting these guys for at least a year.

And it appears he doesn't think any are worthy of trading up for.    Pretty simple really

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

If you start with it's a VG QB class, and that you are in outer space comprehending it, one could understand a number of teams wanting the 3rd pick.

Will the Colts move up to prove the point?

It isn't a very good QB class. 

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

I cannot emphasize enough how insane those stats are! It's like... the complete opposite to what one would expect for an inaccurate QB. Extremely high grades on long passes, really good grades on intermediate passes... HORRENDOUS on short(and OK behind the LOS)?!!?!?! How? 

Sounds like a guy that doesn’t take the layups. Now whether that was schemes and bad coaching who knows. 

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

I see what AR means when he says "I can't catch the ball too".

His WR's were missing alot of passes

4 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

I see what AR means when he says "I can't catch the ball too".

His WR's were missing alot of passes

True or not, as a QB, you never EVER say something like that publicly.   A quarterback throwing teammates under the bus is one of the worst things a QB can do. 

34 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sounds like a guy that doesn’t take the layups. Now whether that was schemes and bad coaching who knows. 

It's not that he doesn't take them. It's that he doesn't make them enough. Most QBs hike up their completion % at that range(they complete 75%+ of the passes in the short range). He doesn't. Something else interesting... I know the completion % is a reccuring topic of conversation but... if you look at the stats, the area that drops his % is the long passes, where he's great(lots of yards and explosive plays, but completion is low and the volume is kind of high too)... so yeah... that completion % is kind of a nuanced topic...

For example... lets say he was throwing 75% on the short passes(66/88)... That would increase his completion % by only about 5% ... so... what's the deal here? The deal is that it's not just his accuracy that is contributing to his completion % being this low. It's the distribution of his throws - he throws a lot of intermediate and long passes that are naturally going to have lower completion%(like you see even though his completion on those long passes is only 41%, his grade is sky high and his yards per attempt on those is super high too) and he's throwing very few short passes. 

IMO part of it is Florida's offense - they are leveraging his ability to run in order to threaten the deep field of the defense. This comes naturally with lower completion %. Add the inaccuracy on the short throws and higher than normal number of throwaways and you get 54% completion.  

Just some context about just how little AR targetted receivers in the short area:

BTW... Can you guess who ran the same type of offense threatening the deepfield in the NFL last year? With a similar type of QB? 

Richardson's low completion percentage is not entirely explained by saying he has an issue with accuracy. There are several factors that contribute to his completion percentage.

His accuracy issues are plain to see in the games, and when he misses, he misses big. Some of it is inconsistent mechanics, some of it is anticipation and timing, and I think some of it is touch (which also affects completion percentage; some of his short/intermediate incompletions are on target, but lacking touch). To me, there are times where he misses so badly that I don't know what the issue is, it's almost like he decided to throw it away. And there are times when I think he looks fine mechanically, and he still misses (that's probably where timing/anticipation comes into play). 

It's fair to say that if he were more accurate, his completion percentage would be higher. But it's also fair to say that his receivers dropped a lot of balls, the schemes were head scratching, and he got pressured a lot. You could probably adjust the drop percentage to an average level, and give him a credit for scheme/pressure, and then come up with an adjusted completion percentage in the low 60s. And we'd still have to figure out what's up with the wild misses. Which is why it doesn't make sense to scout the stat sheet. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

And it appears he doesn't think any are worthy of trading up for.    Pretty simple really

Correct. He doesn't think anybody is worth trading up for or taking any risks on and that's why we are a.500 or worse team and will always be as long as he is the GM.

Archived