Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s because you and most fans judge mocks by the most unreasonable standard imaginable.   Matching teams with the correct player.   The thing is, it’s a magic trick, a party trick.   I’ve never EVER judged a mock by that standard.   It’s a waste of time, it’s meaningless. 

Any argument that the worst mock is almost as good as the best mock is your tip you’ve made a bad argument.   If the guy doing Barstool sports has a mock almost as good as someone at NFL.com that your tip you’re judging by a highly flawed system. 

The only standard I’ve ever judged a mock is by how many players go in the round they’re predicted to go in.   Every year I get a minimum of 24 correct.  And sometimes as many as 28.  Are the right players going where they’ve been roughly predicted.   Same for rounds 2, 3, 4 and 5.  

I think any attempt to argue the worst mocks are almost as good as the best mocks is a nonsensical argument.  

Ill have to double check how many players i got correct being in 1st but i meant more so getting team and player correct

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ill have to double check how many players i got correct being in 1st but i meant more so getting team and player correct

I know.  You want the player and the team to match.   My argument is to me it’s a worthless standard.    Because once teams start making trades everything gets blown up.   It makes the round meaningless.   

That’s why I only care about getting the right player in the right round.   I think that’s a more reasonable standard.   It’s not perfect, but I think it’s far more reasonable.  

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That’s a good solid mock.   By my memory, you got 25 names right.   A very good job.   I think it’s far more fair and reasonable. 

I did well overall! If I remember correctly the Cole Strange pick was a shocker to me.

I remember thinking...

Animated GIF

Its just proof that we dont know much of anything compared to NFL scouts etc

33 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

I did well overall! If I remember correctly the Cole Strange pick was a shocker to me.

I remember thinking...

Animated GIF

Even NFL scouts can widely differ i opinion.    Last year, when the Pats announced they were drafting Strange in the first round, the Rams HC and GM were being interviewed live.   And they burst into laughter!   Because they had made so many trades, the Rams weren’t drafting until the late 90’s and very early 100’s.   And Strange was someone the Rams thought might be available to them when they picked late on Day 2.   

So one team had Strange around 30.   Another team had him around 90-ish.   That’s a huge difference of opinion.   And in the NFL that happens more often than most fans realize.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Stetson might be a blue card kid, the way Sam was, but he is NOT a unicorn.   Not even a little bit.  

I was kidding. On a more serious note... if we are looking for unicorns on that Georgia team, Darnell Washington is probably the one... He's a huge TE with great athleticism. He's even bigger than Jelani and has similar athleticism. I've heard some people float the idea that some team might consider transitioning him to OT... 

Just a thought I had today - if Stroud and Young are agreeing to workout for the Colts, that means at the very least they are not certain they are going 1-2. If you look at some previous years QBs going 1 or 2 would refuse to even workout or visit with teams that have no shot at getting them or teams they don't want to go to.

So... 2 good conclusions from the very fact that both Young and Stroud are working out for the Colts -

1. The Colts is a desirable destination for young QBs. Or at the very least it's not undesirable.

2. If you love Young and Stroud, it's still not 100% decided that they will be gone before our pick. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Just a thought I had today - if Stroud and Young are agreeing to workout for the Colts, that means at the very least they are not certain they are going 1-2. If you look at some previous years QBs going 1 or 2 would refuse to even workout or visit with teams that have no shot at getting them or teams they don't want to go to.

So... 2 good conclusions from the very fact that both Young and Stroud are working out for the Colts -

1. The Colts is a desirable destination for young QBs. Or at the very least it's not undesirable.

2. If you love Young and Stroud, it's still not 100% decided that they will be gone before our pick. 

Maybe because they know the Panthers have expressed interest in trading back.   

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Did you see the Jalen Carter Stuff. His agent isn’t allowing him to meet with teams outside the top ten because he is sure he will go top ten.

24 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did you see the Jalen Carter Stuff. His agent isn’t allowing him to meet with teams outside the top ten because he is sure he will go top ten.

I didn't see that. Maybe they have a promise from a team. But if they don't that's malpractice from his agent... 

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

What types of sources - scouts, coaches, NFL beat writers?

Chad Forbes reported that Will Levis is bombing interviews, and it could cause him to slide in drafts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Will Levis is bombing interviews<br><br>“Arrogance, entitlement. Plus… just bizarre”<br><br>“24 years old. Should be far ahead of guys that graduated from High School in the pandemic 25 months ago (Stroud / Richardson / Stroud)<br><br>“Why didn’t he beat out Sean Clifford”<br><br>Levis could go Day 2</p>&mdash; Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/1640948542771544064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 29, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Something is seriously wrong where I can't copy websites and post them or tweets on the forum anymore. I have no idea why. Something is broken.

I can't post a photo of the tweet either on here. For some reason, everything is disabled that I can copy/paste on this site.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I was kidding. On a more serious note... if we are looking for unicorns on that Georgia team, Darnell Washington is probably the one... He's a huge TE with great athleticism. He's even bigger than Jelani and has similar athleticism. I've heard some people float the idea that some team might consider transitioning him to OT... 

I really like Darnell. Blocks like Doyle, hands seem decent.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Chad Forbes reported that Will Levis is bombing interviews, and it could cause him to slide in drafts.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Will Levis is bombing interviews<br><br>“Arrogance, entitlement. Plus… just bizarre”<br><br>“24 years old. Should be far ahead of guys that graduated from High School in the pandemic 25 months ago (Stroud / Richardson / Stroud)<br><br>“Why didn’t he beat out Sean Clifford”<br><br>Levis could go Day 2</p>&mdash; Chad Forbes (@NFLDraftBites) <a href="https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/1640948542771544064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 29, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Something is seriously wrong where I can't copy websites and post them or tweets on the forum anymore. I have no idea why. Something is broken.

I can't post a photo of the tweet either on here. For some reason, everything is disabled that I can copy/paste on this site.

Somewhere around the forum somebody already debunked this report. Im sure Chloe will chime in. She dont play about her Levis! Lol

11 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I remember thinking...

Animated GIF

How did Strange do last season ?  Did he play ok ?

39 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Thanks, I appreciate it! Lots of stuff going around. Thought Forbes was legit tbh.

I didn't think anyone debunked it.  It was dismissed because Forbes has a habit of doing hit jobs on players in the past.

But no one came out and said "This is absolutely false !!"

Peter King was floating the idea today that the Texans may not necessarily take a QB at #2. Although it is likely that they do, he said this about the Texans GM. Nick Caserio (who is known to be a conservative GM) has stated that if he doesn't love his choice at #2, he is not going to force it; he could select a blue-chipper like Anderson, or trade back. Here are some more reasons (some from King) why the Texans might wait to draft a QB.

1. They drafted Davis Mills two years ago who played decent in his rookie season. Davis regressed a little this past year but did finish the season under center after briefly losing his starting job. Mills didn't exactly play on a team loaded with weapons.

2. The Texans have the #12 pick which they could use to select a QB if one of the top 4 players slide.

3. The Texans have 11 other draft picks in this year's draft which they could use to move up or down as needed to get a QB later than #2

4. The Texans already have two 1st-rounders next year. If they trade #2 they could definitely add a third 1st-rounder next year, plus many more picks this year or next as well. If the Texans finish in the bottom quarter of the league as they did this year, they will be in prime position to land one of the top expected franchise QB's coming out next year.

Todd McShay's latest mock:

Colts trade up to 3(giving up 79 and future second) and get Anthony Richardson... 

Projected trade: Colts aren't taking chances

After the Bears traded the No. 1 pick, the Cardinals' No. 3 pick became highly valuable. It's apparent two quarterbacks will be drafted with the opening pair of picks, and the QB-needy Colts sit at No. 4. So any team that covets a potential franchise signal-caller better act fast, and moving up to No. 3 is the best bet.

In this scenario, it's actually Indy that makes the move, sliding up one spot to block any other teams trying to nab a passer and securing its guy in the process. And for Arizona, this is the best-case outcome. The Cards only drop one spot to No. 4, can still draft a dominant defender and pick up something in the ballpark of a third-rounder (No. 79) and a future second-rounder along the way.

3. Indianapolis Colts (mock trade with ARI)

Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

I've heard mixed messages regarding the Colts' interest in quarterbacks not named Young and Stroud, but the veteran route just hasn't worked for them. They've started each of the past five seasons with a different starting QB, and they scored the NFL's fewest points in 2022 (15.8 per game). If either Richardson or Kentucky's Will Levis is Indy's guy, it can't afford to stay at No. 4 and just hope things work out.

There is obvious risk with Richardson, and it's certainly possible Gardner Minshew would be getting the Week 1 call. After all, Richardson has just 13 career starts and accuracy issues to work through, mainly stemming from poor footwork and still-developing touch. But you'd need to call in NASA to reach his sky-high ceiling. At 6-foot-4 and 244 pounds, Richardson ran a 4.43 in the 40-yard dash at the combine and has the strongest arm in this class. If he puts it all together, he could be a star in the NFL. New Colts coach Shane Steichen might be the guy to get him there.

According to ESPN's Stats & Information, this would be the fourth time in the common draft era that quarterbacks go 1-2-3. The most recent occurrence came in 2021.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Todd McShay's latest mock:

Colts trade up to 3(giving up 79 and future second) and get Anthony Richardson... 

I actually wouldn’t mind giving up that pick to move to 3. Because I expect them to trade down from 35 to get extra picks and can ptobsbly get it back. Question is how much would raiders and titans give up to move to 3. It could be a ton more then colts are willing to give up. But I am ok moving yo three for either guy if that is all it takes.

23 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Peter King was floating the idea today that the Texans may not necessarily take a QB at #2. Although it is likely that they do, he said this about the Texans GM. Nick Caserio (who is known to be a conservative GM) has stated that if he doesn't love his choice at #2, he is not going to force it; he could select a blue-chipper like Anderson, or trade back. Here are some more reasons (some from King) why the Texans might wait to draft a QB.

1. They drafted Davis Mills two years ago who played decent in his rookie season. Davis regressed a little this past year but did finish the season under center after briefly losing his starting job. Mills didn't exactly play on a team loaded with weapons.

2. The Texans have the #12 pick which they could use to select a QB if one of the top 4 players slide.

3. The Texans have 11 other draft picks in this year's draft which they could use to move up or down as needed to get a QB later than #2

4. The Texans already have two 1st-rounders next year. If they trade #2 they could definitely add a third 1st-rounder next year, plus many more picks this year or next as well. If the Texans finish in the bottom quarter of the league as they did this year, they will be in prime position to land one of the top expected franchise QB's coming out next year.

Texans have 2, 12, 33, 65, 73, 103. 

They have Clevelands 1 and 4 next year.

IF Stroud is the only sure fire pick to be had, moving back and/or waiting for next year would make Great sense.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ian did say that if DJ is saying this to pay attention though.

The Titans are definitely lurking....4 teams had private meetings with Stroud surrounding his pro-day, the Titans were one of them.  New GM Carthon attended the pro days for Stroud, Young and Levis last week, Vrabel joined him for the private meeting with Stroud and at Kentucky. The Titans were also the first team to meet privately with Hendon Hooker.  Maybe not a shock because Hooker is in-state. 

It was announced today that the Colts will workout Kentucky QB Will Levis this Thursday. I noticed that they will be working him out in Lexington instead of at their own facility. The Colts have also worked out Stroud and Young in Southern California. I wonder why we are not bringing QB's to our facility, maybe that is yet to come?

Archived