Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

It was announced today that the Colts will workout Kentucky QB Will Levis this Thursday. I noticed that they will be working him out in Lexington instead of at their own facility. The Colts have also worked out Stroud and Young. Does anyone know where those workouts took place?

Teams are not allowed to do workouts with the prospects at their own facility. They can work out prospects either at their school or in their home city. 

The Colts worked out:

- Anthony Richardson in Florida(Gainesville) before the combine.

- CJ Stroud and Bryce Young in California yesterday(because they both have listed LA as their home city)

- Will Levis later this week in Lexington, Kentucky. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

How did Strange do last season ?  Did he play ok ?

I looked it up.  I don't have a PFF subscription, but what I could tell is that he played 982 snaps last season and only allowed 5 sacks which is pretty good.

So it looks like Belichecks staff does know something.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Teams are not allowed to do workouts with the prospects at their own facility. They can work out prospects either at their school or in their home city. 

Thanks, for some reason I thought they could host limited amounts of players at their own facility.

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Thanks, for some reason I thought they could host limited amounts of players at their own facility.

They can host up to 30 players at their own facility(the so called "top-30 visits"), but they are not allowed to do any on-field work with them during that visit. They can interview them, show them around the facility, do film sessions and whiteboard interviews with them, have medical exams with them, etc. but no workouts. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So I guess Mac Jones won’t be going to raiders lol. 2 years so I wonder if this takes them out of the market for a QB in the draft.

How the hell is Brian Hoyer still getting contracts in the league? I have no idea. He was done like 4 years ago when he was with the Colts... 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

They can host up to 30 players at their own facility, but they are not allowed to do any on-field work with them during that visit. They can interview them, show them around the facility, do film sessions and whiteboard interviews with them, have medical exams with them, etc. but no workouts. 

It will be interesting to see which QB's the Colts host in their top-30 visits.

9 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

They were supposed to have one with Hooker. I think they had one with Aidan O’Connell too.

You are right. It seems weird to spend a top-30 visit on O'Connell when they could have easily scouted him in-state anytime over the past two years.

I find all the private workouts strange for the top QB prospects. If I am someone like a Stroud or Young I think I would want to limit those sessions. Players like them have a couple good years of football on film for scouts and executives to see. Stroud did the combine and pro day and Young did his pro-day. If you are in a QB workout with your 8th team and blow an achilles, I don't hardly think it would be worth it. I can understand if Levis and Richardson want to take more workouts to prove that they deserve to be a top 4 pick, but at a point the risk could outweigh the rewards.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What’s interesting is they did this after visiting with Richardson.

Here is his mock 

I swear those national writers do NOT listen to the Colts decision-makers at all. I have no idea how you can listen to what Irsay said at the owner's meeting and still continue mocking Lamar Jackson to the Colts. IMO the chance is close to 0. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I swear those national writers do NOT listen to the Colts decision-makers at all. I have no idea how you can listen to what Irsay said at the owner's meeting and still continue mocking Lamar Jackson to the Colts. IMO the chance is close to 0. 

The media is no different than some of the fan bases. Just throw as much up against the wall and see what sticks.  

I agree, I don't know if Irsay has privately given a mandate to Ballard and Steichen, but it is clear he wants to draft and grow our own young QB. Irsay's recent comments at the NFL owners meeting:

“We’re looking for the future guy, and we want the guy that can be there for the next 10 years. After Philip’s (Rivers) year, I wanted to go young. I was, ‘Let’s go young. Let’s grow our own. It’s time,'” Irsay said at the NFL owners meetings Monday. “It was great having Philip the one year and he was very successful and exceeded our expectations, but [we] knew it was a short-term thing. I really wanted to go young and drafting our own and finding our own that way.’’

He wanted this 2 year's ago!

Good discussion on Richardson and Levis on the radio this morning. Both of them are skeptical of Richardson because everything he is being praised for is stuff you measure in shorts and a tee shirt.

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

This one surprises me since he seems to have a relationship with Ballard.

9 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I agree, I don't know if Irsay has privately given a mandate to Ballard and Steichen, but it is clear he wants to draft and grow our own young QB. Irsay's recent comments at the NFL owners meeting:

“We’re looking for the future guy, and we want the guy that can be there for the next 10 years. After Philip’s (Rivers) year, I wanted to go young. I was, ‘Let’s go young. Let’s grow our own. It’s time,'” Irsay said at the NFL owners meetings Monday. “It was great having Philip the one year and he was very successful and exceeded our expectations, but [we] knew it was a short-term thing. I really wanted to go young and drafting our own and finding our own that way.’’

He wanted this 2 year's ago!

Getting rivers was the right thing and it worked. But where they went wrong was not drafting a QB to sit behind him a year.

27 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I find all the private workouts strange for the top QB prospects. If I am someone like a Stroud or Young I think I would want to limit those sessions. Players like them have a couple good years of football on film for scouts and executives to see. Stroud did the combine and pro day and Young did his pro-day. If you are in a QB workout with your 8th team and blow an achilles, I don't hardly think it would be worth it. I can understand if Levis and Richardson want to take more workouts to prove that they deserve to be a top 4 pick, but at a point the risk could outweigh the rewards.

The risk is minimal. If they’re gonna get hurt throwing the football with no defenders rushing them, then they are definitely gonna get hurt when they get smoked by Buckner or Darnold…

56 minutes ago, csmopar said:

The risk is minimal. If they’re gonna get hurt throwing the football with no defenders rushing them, then they are definitely gonna get hurt when they get smoked by Buckner or Darnold…

I get what you are saying but you only have to plant wrong one time to blow an achilles. If I was an agent I think I would limit my top prospect to a certain amount of workouts. If teams want to see the player then they will have to make it to one of the workouts. Now, if teams want to have private meetings they can do that all day, but not unlimited physical workouts. Andrew Vorhees, the All-American OL from USC blew his ACL out at this year's draft combine. I always hate it when that happens to players just coming out of college. It can change the trajectory of their entire career.

8 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I get what you are saying but you only have to plant wrong one time to blow an achilles. If I was an agent I think I would limit my top prospect to a certain amount of workouts. If teams want to see the player then they will have to make it to one of the workouts. Now, if teams want to have private meetings they can do that all day, but not unlimited physical workouts.

A browns WR just tore his Achilles yesterday working out with Watson. So yeah it does happen.

8 hours ago, stitches said:

I was kidding. On a more serious note... if we are looking for unicorns on that Georgia team, Darnell Washington is probably the one... He's a huge TE with great athleticism. He's even bigger than Jelani and has similar athleticism. I've heard some people float the idea that some team might consider transitioning him to OT... 

Yup!   I love that kid and would be hugely tempted if he falls to 35.    And I’d prefer a OG, or a CB, or an DE and I know some want a WR there.   But I luv LOVE me some Washington.    One of my FAVES!!

Yes!   THAT young man is a UNICORN and I’d bet that’s why he was at the Georgia Pro day. 

Apologies I didn’t catch your humor on Bennett.   

17 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I get what you are saying but you only have to plant wrong one time to blow an achilles. If I was an agent I think I would limit my top prospect to a certain amount of workouts. If teams want to see the player then they will have to make it to one of the workouts. Now, if teams want to have private meetings they can do that all day, but not unlimited physical workouts. Andrew Vorhees, the All-American OL from USC blew his ACL out at this year's draft combine. I always hate it when that happens to players just coming out of college. It can change the trajectory of their entire career.

It happens. It happened to me. I was running a perfectly straight line and blew all but one of the ligaments in my knee. That’s the risk

29 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Its a bigger risk than some may think.

Especially on astro turf

Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence... all 27 or younger...

This is the landscape of the AFC. This is who we will be meeting for the next ~10 years. This is why I do NOT care about high floor. High floor is getting you nowhere against 7-8 franchise QBs of that sort. 

Think about it! We need the highest ceiling. Who gives us the best chance to get to the level of those players or better? 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, Trevor Lawrence... all 27 or younger...

This is the landscape of the AFC. This is who we will be meeting for the next ~10 years. This is why I do NOT care about high floor. High floor is getting you nowhere against 7-8 franchise QBs of that sort. 

Think about it! We need the highest ceiling. Who gives us the best chance to get to the level of those players or better? 

The question colts have to ask themselves is how long will it take Richardson to start winning games and do they believe he can reach  that ceiling.

I know Nate Atkins and Kevin Bowen both mentioned they think Levis has a pretty high ceiling and already further along so he might be the smarter pick. Is his ceiling as high as richardsons? Probably not but colts need to feel that Richardson can reach that ceiling. There is such little film to go on.

It is a good final question. I am not convinced that QB is in this draft.

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

It is a good final question. I am not convinced that QB is in this draft.

Well, the true answer is Caleb Williams, but it will be really hard to get in position to draft him. Next season will be a super tank season. Just watch. I expect 4-5 teams seriously trying to race to the bottom. 

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The question colts have to ask themselves is how long will it take Richardson to start winning games and do they believe he can reach  that ceiling.

I know Nate Atkins and Kevin Bowen both mentioned they think Levis has a pretty high ceiling and already further along so he might be the smarter pick. Is his ceiling as high as richardsons? Probably not but colts need to feel that Richardson can reach that ceiling. There is such little film to go on.

In your GMA video they were diagraming Jalen Hurts plays they felt AR could run right away.

Archived