Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Future of the South

Moosejawcolt

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the destiny when they drafted him.  He was always going to torture us, the guy is immensely talented.  We need to find a top head coach and keep the defense loaded with good pass rushers to neutralize his effect otherwise he's going to own us for years.

Chicago is your case example with Green Bay.  I'd rather not be in that role.  So Irsay better raise his game this offseason.

Oh come on!!! Let them sweep the Texans at least 1 year, haven’t done that since 2017. Let’s stop being prisoners of the moment and let these young Johnny come lately QBs at least earn it for a couple of years before you anoint them, please!!!

We have seen 2 years or more at least of Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Herbert to know their potential. Let me see the Jaguars put 2 good years together before bringing this up.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Oh come on!!! Let them sweep the Texans at least 1 year, haven’t done that since 2017. Let’s stop being prisoners of the moment and let these young Johnny come lately QBs at least earn it for a couple of years before you anoint them, please!!!

We have seen 2 years or more at least of Mahomes, Burrow, Allen and Herbert to know their potential. Let me see the Jaguars put 2 good years together before bringing this up.

Last 7 or 8 weeks he’s top 5 in almost every passing category :peek:

The afc south may become one of the toughest divisions in the league.

trevor Lawrence looks like he’s coming on and the jags got it right with Doug.  If they can keep building that team up they’ll be good.

texans seem to have their head on straight finally and lovie smith looks to be the right coach for that team.  They’ll have Bryce young as their franchise qb and they’ll possibly be good in the future if they build right also

titans, depending on what they do, they become the bottom of the south.  Seems like they won’t have a qb for the foreseeable future.  But they’ve always been a tough outing.

then there’s us who has the 5th pick right now and will most likely be choosing our next franchise qb.

im looking forward to it.  The afc south has been looked down for years. 

Lawrence is on pace to have very similar numbers as Wentz had for us in 2021. He didn't play well last week vs the Jets. He's had bad batches of games as well as good ones throughout the year. Plenty of people were writing him off as a bust again earlier in the season, which I think was just as silly as predicting he'll be an MVP candidate.

I think he's most likely going to be an above average QB for a few years at least, but let's not crown a dude for potentially having won a horrible division. He couldn't beat our garbage team more than once this year.

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

I don't view that what's happening in JAX is strictly a QB thing.  They now have a good coach, and have always had good defensive personnel.  They are becoming a complete team from top to bottom.  Much like TEN already is (but need a QB upgrade)

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I don't view that what's happening in JAX is strictly a QB thing.  They now have a good coach, and have always had good defensive personnel.  They are becoming a complete team from top to bottom.  Much like TEN already is (but need a QB upgrade)

That’s why when people bring up Shane Steichen, I raise them Byron Leftwich and the one good decision that the Jaguars made to pair Doug Pederson with Lawrence. 

Let’s see if the pair brings consistency across years to be taken seriously. What made Peyton and Dungy great was we came out firing the second half on all sides of the ball and won 12 games 7 years in a row. Right now, Zac Taylor and Burrow are getting started like McDermott and Allen, while Reid and Mahomes are already there. That’s what makes them a difficult out, the real high floor plus a ceiling that’s flexible based on the opposition. 

The Future of the AFC South is up in the air.  Typically they have been one of the, if not the worst in the NFL.  But now:

Jags - They have their QB and are a good team.  Maybe 11-12 wins next season.

Texans - They will have the draft capitol to fill many holes, QB included.  They have 2 fist round picks (Cleveland's), the first pick in the 2nd round, the first pick in the 3rd round plus Cleveland 3rd round pick.  Also 6 other picks.  They also have 2 first round picks in 2024.  

Colts - Complete unknown.  They could win 2 games in 2023 or they could win 9 games.  

Titans - I think they will continue to improve a groom a young QB behind Tannehill.  

jags are still 7-8   not world beaters  nothing is handed to any one in the nfl .  based on potential yea trevor is playing better this year but his stats arent world beater stats.   we saw wentz put up crazy mvp numbers his second year then fall off completely  .   i need to see more improvements next year before i am ready to crown trevor who has a horrible record still after two years .   24 touchdowns 7 picks is 2020 rivers stats  not that impressive  . 

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

jags are still 7-8   not world beaters  nothing is handed to any one in the nfl .  based on potential yea trevor is playing better this year but his stats arent world beater stats.   we saw wentz put up crazy mvp numbers his second year then fall off completely  .   i need to see more improvements next year before i am ready to crown trevor who has a horrible record still after two years .   24 touchdowns 7 picks is 2020 rivers stats  not that impressive  . 

Same stats with less talent

I caught a bit of flak before the season for saying watch out for the Jaguars bc they are a year away but still going to be a tough team to beat this year. They have the coach, QB and defensive personnel to win a lot of games over the next 5-7 years. Not saying they are SB contenders but they will make some noise in the South.  

All I know is bad division or not we've WASTED six LONG years inside it under Ballard with not ONE division title!!! I can see huge upside in the Jags moving forward, fight in the Texans to go along with multiple high draft picks coming up that could change their fortune very quickly and toughness in the mostly upper tier Titans. (losing AJ Brown hurt has them BIG time)

Now on to that 31st ranked team LEAGUE wise known as the Colts who by the way has been building for YEARS under the Teflon gm to achieve this LOFTY goal. Wanting a contending roster to compete for ANYTHING (division or SB) seems to be unattainable based on tenure RESULTS. Unless some serious changes are made in Ballard's FLAWED team building philosophy (seeing that we're STUCK with the subpar below .500 gm) the Colts will fall to the basement of the division and justifiably so. Premium positions are LACKING and his SLOW over time moves have left the Colts in the rearview of the loaded AFC that have multiple teams with young DYNAMIC qbs at the helm.

27 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

All I know is bad division or not we've WASTED six LONG years inside it under Ballard with not ONE division title!!! I can see huge upside in the Jags moving forward, fight in the Texans to go along with multiple high draft picks coming up that could change their fortune very quickly and toughness in the mostly upper tier Titans. (losing AJ Brown hurt has them BIG time)

Now on to that 31st ranked team LEAGUE wise known as the Colts who by the way has been building for YEARS under the Teflon gm to achieve this LOFTY goal. Wanting a contending roster to compete for ANYTHING (division or SB) seems to be unattainable based on tenure RESULTS. Unless some serious changes are made in Ballard's FLAWED team building philosophy (seeing that we're STUCK with the subpar below .500 gm) the Colts will fall to the basement of the division and justifiably so. Premium positions are LACKING and his SLOW over time moves have left the Colts in the rearview of the loaded AFC that have multiple teams with young DYNAMIC qbs at the helm.

We wasted a golden opportunity this year to win the South. With the Titans demise and the Jags are only 7-8 as well. We should have won this division easily. I look back at all the close games we lost too, 1 point vs Washington, 1 point vs Philly, blew a 33 point lead at Minny, just frustrating.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We wasted a golden opportunity this year to win the South. With the Titans demise and the Jags are only 7-8 as well. We should have won this division easily. I look back at all the close games we lost too, 1 point vs Washington, 1 point vs Philly, blew a 33 point lead at Minny, just frustrating.

Many had us winning the south BEFORE the season started. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 12:25 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We got rid of kind yet hapless Frank. THAT IS our Great Victory!!

To new beginnings.  :hat:

Archived