Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O line woes ((MERGE))

joeb

Dennis Kelly is 32 years old and an 11 year vet. Primarily a tackle but has filled in at guard during his career.  He’s listed at 321 pounds which isn’t awful for a guard.    Considering his age and experience he might welcome the chance to be a starter at RG.  I’m leaning to Dennis as being the safest choice to replace Pinter if a move becomes necessary.  

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you rewatch the game Bills vs Titans 41-7, you will note that the Titans kept changing 3-4 and 4-3. In addition they flopped their DE between Autry and Simmons until they found the winning match up. To combat the Titans defensive scheme, the Bills had a Fullback or Blocking TE along with McKenzie (RB) line up behind the OLine. We should do that as well until we can find a way to protect Matt Ryan. Grab a guy off the waiver or practice squad to play that role if Kylen Granson or Mo Allie Cox can't block. Keep Jalani Woods catching up the middle. Copy what made the Chargers and KC successful with Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez. Both were coached by Reich.

27 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

If you rewatch the game Bills vs Titans 41-7, you will note that the Titans kept changing 3-4 and 4-3. In addition they flopped their DE between Autry and Simmons until they found the winning match up. To combat the Titans defensive scheme, the Bills had a Fullback or Blocking TE along with McKenzie (RB) line up behind the OLine. We should do that as well until we can find a way to protect Matt Ryan. Grab a guy off the waiver or practice squad to play that role if Kylen Granson or Mo Allie Cox can't block. Keep Jalani Woods catching up the middle. Copy what made the Chargers and KC successful with Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez. Both were coached by Reich.

I like TN DL (front 7) personnel management and rotation. 

Very flexible. 

But seems they are playing Autry bit more at OLB (3-4 OLB), instead of 3-4 DE/DT.

IDK about that.. At least when watched. 

2 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Simmons destroys Q every game we play them so putting Pinter on him is asking for trouble.  They are getting Dupree back too.  Not good

You're probably overreacting due a few tweets....

Simmons is good. But...

His AVG tackles per game was 3.2 in 2021.

He averaged 2.0 vs Indy in 2021

He averaged 3.0 vs Indy in 2020

Both under AVG

His AVG pressures per game was 1.5 in 2021.

He averaged 1.5 v Indy in 2021

He averaged 1.0 vs Indy in 2020

At AVG or below

And Nelson was injured and sick early season. Both games were early last year. 

So destroyed? Good tweet though I guess. 

Problem with most fans, they want an all-star team - this isn't Madden. The same people complaining right now that Ballard doesn't sign any big name WR's to a lot of money are the same people complaining we had no Line when Andrew Luck played which ended Luck's career. Most teams have weaknesses, so far our Line hasn't played well but at least Ballard drafted Nelson and is trying to protect our QB. I do think our Line will get it together as the season moves on. Having a great WR doesn't always work out either, so far Adams hasn't done much in Vegas, Chase hasn't either in Cincy - this year. I would love to have another  playmaker at WR but protecting the QB is critical. Without a Line, a QB won't last. Look at Tua, Burrow is headed down that Andrew Luck path as well.

Fries looked better at guard than Pinter did to me.  I'd keep him there.

I can't say exactly what's wrong with the running game, but it does seem

like JT is running into brick walls like he did his rookie year and leaving yards

out there. 

3 hours ago, krunk said:

like JT is running into brick walls like he did his rookie year and leaving yards

out there. 

did he finally pull Pinter out? this would be a start 

On 9/25/2022 at 3:38 PM, csmopar said:

What happens when you fire the OL coach after a season where your OL is ranked number 1 overall

Well if they were smart, and I forget his name,, they should have him on speed dial. His temperament fit this team. Kelly, Nelson and Smith are maulers. Not this panzy scheme they are now playing.  If there are no changes after this game. Then I have lost total respect for both Frank and Ballard and just shows me more they are not able to make the right call. Fire Strausser and hire the crazy man lol. I forgot his name hahaha.

On 9/30/2022 at 11:34 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Problem with most fans, they want an all-star team - this isn't Madden. The same people complaining right now that Ballard doesn't sign any big name WR's to a lot of money are the same people complaining we had no Line when Andrew Luck played which ended Luck's career. Most teams have weaknesses, so far our Line hasn't played well but at least Ballard drafted Nelson and is trying to protect our QB. I do think our Line will get it together as the season moves on. Having a great WR doesn't always work out either, so far Adams hasn't done much in Vegas, Chase hasn't either in Cincy - this year. I would love to have another  playmaker at WR but protecting the QB is critical. Without a Line, a QB won't last. Look at Tua, Burrow is headed down that Andrew Luck path as well.

I believe in building the trenches, but Ballard has failed at that.  No LT, let Glow go??? For what??? Makes no sense.  Now Fries played OK tonight, but it still took 3 games of Pinter sucking to make that change, and LT still isn’t fixed.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

out there. 

He has no faith in his blocking. That's what's making him indecisive.

3 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I believe in building the trenches, but Ballard has failed at that.  No LT, let Glow go??? For what??? Makes no sense.  No Fries played OK tonight, but it still took 3 games of Pinter sucking to make that change, and LT still isn’t fixed.

But thank God he's transparent  lol.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He has no faith in his blocking. That's what's making him indecisive.

But thank God he's transparent  lol.

Re: his running, I noticed a few times one key block would be missed on his cut back lanes, so he literally has nowhere to go.  Which goes back to the coach,  IMHO.  How about we start a drive with PA and go no huddle for the first series.   Make them respect the pass, then mix in the run.   But hey, I’m just a fan.  What do I know, right?

Archived