Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

O line woes ((MERGE))

joeb

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, joeb said:

It looks like they are struggling something awful. All of a sudden Braden Smith went from being a top ten RT to just flat out getting used. Danny Pinter looks totally over powered. We need help there. 

What happens when you fire the OL coach after a season where your OL is ranked number 1 overall

1 hour ago, joeb said:

It looks like they are struggling something awful. All of a sudden Braden Smith went from being a top ten RT to just flat out getting used. Danny Pinter looks totally over powered. We need help there. 

It’s all because of coaching. I don’t believe for a second Braden just forgot how to play RT. 

1 hour ago, joeb said:

I really think Pinter being as bad as he is really effecting Braden more than we all thought it would. We also lost Doyle who lined up on the right side a lot. 

I agree. Pinter is overmatched. In the one A gap blitz that got to Ryan you could see that Kelly moved to the right to help Pinter who was getting jobbed opening up the middle. On another play the replay showed Pinter being tossed aside by the defensive player on his way to breaking up a run in the backfield. At 303 he's not big enough to play the interior in the NFL. Hopefully the suits see that too and fix it. I'd almost suggest move Pryor inside and try Pinter at LT. He played RT in college and at 6'4", 303 he is closer to tackle size than guard size. 

36 minutes ago, FRW said:

I agree. Pinter is overmatched. In the one A gap blitz that got to Ryan you could see that Kelly moved to the right to help Pinter who was getting jobbed opening up the middle. On another play the replay showed Pinter being tossed aside by the defensive player on his way to breaking up a run in the backfield. At 303 he's not big enough to play the interior in the NFL. Hopefully the suits see that too and fix it. I'd almost suggest move Pryor inside and try Pinter at LT. He played RT in college and at 6'4", 303 he is closer to tackle size than guard size. 

Which begs the question. Why did they let, forget hid name, the starting right guard go???? It wasn't for a lot of money. 

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I have to imagine that Fries would be better than Pinter there.  Or go find a LT and move Pryor over there.

But the problems go beyond Pinter.

Not sure if Fries would be all that better. Moving Pryor over there and starting Raimann at LT while dealing with the rookie bumps might be a decent move, but I do think you can get at least okay stop gap guard play off the free agent wire or through trading a mid to low round pick now.

I think helping the RG spot will help with Smith's woes at least a bit. We might have options elsewhere on the line, but I just think Pinter is getting absolutely abused this year.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Which begs the question. Why did they let, forget hid name, the starting right guard go???? It wasn't for a lot of money. 

Glow signed with giants for 3 years 18 million. So not a lot. We gave  MO that. Should of Kept him. Maybe we can swing another trade for Reed and bring him back.

They've definitely gotta move some guys around and figure out a new combination across the line.

Look at practice squads (ours and other teams) or at worst a small trade I'm guessing won't kill all our resources going forward.

I'm also not talking about trading for the best guy out there, but I'm sure we could probably work out a trade for a guy who's been a spot starter/swing guy.

3 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Pryor and Raimann at LT.

Replace Pinter with Dennis Kelly or Fries at RG.

that needs to happen. why don't they just do it i really don't understand. we have got to fix this OL before our next game are we will never beat the titans

The formula they are trying to win with only works with an elite O-line. Currently they're horrible. 

For most of the game today, I thought, only Luck could win a game playing behind that O-line.  Somehow they gutted it out, though.  And that is the formula for beating the Chiefs - make the game as ugly as possible.

50 minutes ago, IinD said:

They've definitely gotta move some guys around and figure out a new combination across the line.

Look at practice squads (ours and other teams) or at worst a small trade I'm guessing won't kill all our resources going forward.

I'm also not talking about trading for the best guy out there, but I'm sure we could probably work out a trade for a guy who's been a spot starter/swing guy.

Fisher is still out there. Could then move Pryor to RG.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Fisher is still out there. Could then move Pryor to RG.

They tried to re-sign him. I was hoping they would to at least keep their #1 strength - running the ball.  Fisher was not good in pass protection, but they could run at will.  

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Bringing in a LT so we can move Pryor might be a good option. Rainmann I don’t think is ready. Pryor played well today. Did better when not rotating.

Don't know who the Rainmann is but the rookie Raimann outplayed Pryor last week and I thought he may start this week and then he got hurt. Pryor has been bad this year so far but Pinter took the spotlight off Pryor today. Pinter was god awful. On one play he got know clean off his feet and onto his back and the defender didn't slow up on his pursuit to Ryan. I do think Pryor would be possible a better fit at guard for Pinter and move Raimann to LT when healthy.

7 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

I have to imagine that Fries would be better than Pinter there.  Or go find a LT and move Pryor over there.

But the problems go beyond Pinter.

Pinter is problem number one but I agree that there is more. They are continually beat by stunts and blitzes. Whoever is calling the line assignments should lose that responsibility whether that’s Kelly or Ryan. Rivers called them two years ago.  Kelly last year. 

12 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Pinter is problem number one but I agree that there is more. They are continually beat by stunts and blitzes. Whoever is calling the line assignments should lose that responsibility whether that’s Kelly or Ryan. Rivers called them two years ago.  Kelly last year. 

The line has two problems.

1.  Pinter just isn’t good enough.  That’s a personal issue that I would be looking at if I was the Colts.  I would be thinking about trying Dennis Kelly or moving Pryor over to RG and letting Raimann play LT.  I will say there were a couple of plays where Pinter did hold his own vs Chris Jones but there are just too many plays where he gets turn styles or worse (see the play where he was turned into a speed bump for a sack).  Teams have figured out he’s the weak leak and are attacking accordingly.

2.  The issue Romo spot lighted today.  Communication.  Ryan is adjusting to a new offense and is having to think more than he normally does and because of that the Colts are having issues getting the protection schemes right.  Kelly gives the line their blocking assignments but Ryan gives the backs, tightends, and receivers theirs.  The best play to spotlight this was the play where KC sent five guys but both Taylor and Pryor went to block the same guy and no one picked up the guy coming inside of Pryor resulting in a free rusher on Ryan.  Romo seemed pretty confident Ryan is going to be just fine in about six weeks (which fits the patterns of offensive struggles the Colts have had under Reich at the start of the season with all the new QBs, Luck, Rivers, and Wentz all had the same adjustment period to being in a new system.).  So the good news is that should get better with time.  The really good news was that Ryan seemed like he was finally comfortable in the offense at the end of the game and the blocking was MUCH better.  Maybe it’s finally starting to click.  

8 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Makes you think it’s Ryan and maybe he just isn’t good at it.

16 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Pryor and Raimann at LT.

Replace Pinter with Dennis Kelly or Fries at RG.

I’d rather put Pryor at RG and either Raimann or Kelly at LT. Pryor excels at blocking strong DL who try using bull rushes, while struggling with speed rushers. He would do better at RG. 

Archived