Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy if they release Sam Ehlinger

AustexColt

If Frank and Chris are stupid enought to release Sam, The Texans will jump on it and sign him ASAP.  The kid is a winner and I will say it 100 times again that he is our answer to our fourth down and goal line option play.  I have been saying this time and time again on this website and on 1070 Morning Show. If Reich is smart he will devise plays for Sam down at the goal line. You can see from tonight's TD, he ran in total control. The Colts players all know that Sam is smart, cool headed and darn strong.  

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

If Frank and Chris are stupid enought to release Sam, The Texans will jump on it and sign him ASAP.  The kid is a winner and I will say it 100 times again that he is our answer to our fourth down and goal line option play.  I have been saying this time and time again on this website and on 1070 Morning Show. If Reich is smart he will devise plays for Sam down at the goal line. You can see from tonight's TD, he ran in total control. The Colts players all know that Sam is smart, cool headed and darn strong.  

I'll go one further. It would be stupid to stash him on the practice squad at this point. He would be claimed. We have to keep him on the 53 and have 3 QBs. In fact, if another team wants Nick Foles, I wouldn't mind trading him if the Colts want to keep Sam but only want to keep 2 QBs on the 53 man roster.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll go one further. It would be stupid to stash him on the practice squad at this point. He would be claimed. We have to keep him on the 53 and have 3 QBs. In fact, if another team wants Nick Foles, I wouldn't mind trading him if the Colts want to keep Sam but only want to keep 2 QBs on the 53 man roster.

i agree with this

8 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Odds are, we are not releasing Sam.   He’s likely played his way on to the 53 man roster. 

As to everything else….   Let’s not get carried away.   Sam’s success has come against 2nd and 3rd stringers.   Playing against first stringers is entirely different.   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Odds are, we are not releasing Sam.   He’s likely played his way on to the 53 man roster. 

As to everything else….   Let’s not get carried away.   Sam’s success has come against 2nd and 3rd stringers.   Playing against first stringers is entirely different.   

Agreed. He isn’t going anywhere unless a team offers a 4th round pick or something if that nature.

I wish we were able to see him throw NFL starter throws that would portray a game. 
Most of his plays come off scrambles & bootlegs. Defenses would set the edge & force him to step up. Can he do that consistently too? 

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Bowen put it best - put him on the 53.  Then put him on the PS around week 3. 

By that time, teams backup QBs are set. He’d make it through waivers.  

This is a bad myth that some believe.  As we saw with Eason last year teams are so desperate for QBs if they think a guy has any talent they will sign him at any point he’s released.  

2 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Agreed. He isn’t going anywhere unless a team offers a 4th round pick or something if that nature.

I wish we were able to see him throw NFL starter throws that would portray a game. 
Most of his plays come off scrambles & bootlegs. Defenses would set the edge & force him to step up. Can he do that consistently too? 

No one is going to offer a draft pick for him.  The Vikings got Mullens for a 7, and he started games in the NFL.  

Sam is never going to be a starter.  He probably won’t even be active this season.  

4 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Honestly, I don’t know.  I suspect the idea of a limited package for Sam is probably likely.  

But it’s one thing to put Sam in for a sneak on 3rd or 4th and 1 to get a first down.   But goal line?   I think that’s where you’d want Matt Ryan and his years of experience to be making those key decisions.   I’d be very reluctant to take MR out of a game unless it’s lopsided one way or another. 

8 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

He isn’t worth anything less than a 2nd round pick to me personally. He’s been with the club for awhile, sure he hasn’t started regular season games and sure he hasn’t played really any regular season game but he’s far better imo than many of the fans here give him credit for. I bet if he was the starter he would surprise many of us.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

This is a bad myth that some believe.  As we saw with Eason last year teams are so desperate for QBs if they think a guy has any talent they will sign him at any point he’s released.  

Which team do you think would put him on their 53?  And for what purpose?  Do you think he can start somewhere?  Or to groom him as a backup?

I think his ceiling is as a backup who could get in the game in certain situations where his legs would be a threat.  But he most likely won’t be active this season.  

Personally, I think we’re all fans who love the kid and have rose colored glasses.  I’m not sure he’s as coveted by the rest of the league.

5 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Sam is better than nick foles .  Foles looked horrible with the bears and in preseason.  He had one great game in the super bowl and that’s it .  He is struggling against back ups and I was struggling watching him .   Sam should be number two and have a chance to start in two years . 

Go back and do some homework.   You’ll find plenty wrong with your post.   There’s plenty of misinformation with your post.   You’re posting opinion but not fact.   Sorry. 

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Which team do you think would put him on their 53?  And for what purpose?  Do you think he can start somewhere?  Or to groom him as a backup?

I think his ceiling is as a backup who could get in the game in certain situations where his legs would be a threat.  But he most likely won’t be active this season.  

Personally, I think we’re all fans who love the kid and have rose colored glasses.  I’m not sure he’s as coveted by the rest of the league.

Who did you think would pick up Eason last year?  It happens.  Teams are always looking for a guy who could be the QB of the future.  It’s so important anytime they think they can get one they will.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Who did you think would pick up Eason last year?  It happens.  Teams are always looking for a guy who could be the QB of the future.  It’s so important anytime they think they can get one they will.

First of all, I really like Sam.  I’m just trying to be realistic.  

Eason has a cannon, you can see how a team would think they could develop him.  Right now he’s 3rd on their depth chart.  If they pick up Jimmy G, he’s gone.  

So, are you saying a team would pick him up to be a 2 or a 3?  I say no one takes him as a 2.  Every team in the league has a 2 with NFL experience.  

If you’re saying 3, then what team would you think?  I did a quick check and I didn’t see one.  

I go back to what Bowen said, keep him on the 53 for three weeks. Then put him on the PS because every team has their three by then. 

Not trying to be argumentative.  I’m interested in hearing what team we fear would grab him.  

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Eason has a cannon, you can see how a team would think they could develop him.  Right now he’s 3rd on their depth chart.  If they pick up Jimmy G, he’s gone.  

So, are you saying a team would pick him up to be a 2 or a 3?  I say no one takes him as a 2.  Every team in the league has a 2 with NFL experience.  

If you’re saying 3, then what team would you think?  I did a quick check and I didn’t see one.  

I go back to what Bowen said, keep him on the 53 for three weeks. Then put him on the PS because every team has their three by then. 

Not trying to be argumentative.  I’m interested in hearing what team we fear would grab him.  

Again, some team would take a chance on him.  Too many teams need QBs.  If someone will take a chance on Eason who at no point was anywhere near as impressive as Sam has been someone would take a chance on Sam to see if they find something.  Let’s also remember they got burned by the Eason thing last year too.  They released him (and not Sam I might add) thinking they would get him back and be able to stash him on the PS only for Seattle to nab him.  If they really like Sam, as has been reported, I don’t see them taking that chance again.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Texans, The Browns until Deshaun is back.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

The Browns have Brissett as a starter for 11 weeks. He could definitely be the backup there over that period. If Brissett ultimately bombs he could even start…

29 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

This is the perfect time to trade Sam.  He has garnered himself some nice attention.  So many teams could use a backup with the injuries that have happened.  I think they will get offers and a 4th would be great.  I really can’t see them using a roster spot on a 3rd quarterback.   They lucked out getting Haack.  They just might luck out again and get a good return for Sam.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

This is the perfect time to trade Sam.  He has garnered himself some nice attention.  So many teams could use a backup with the injuries that have happened.  I think they will get offers and a 4th would be great.  I really can’t see them using a roster spot on a 3rd quarterback.   They lucked out getting Haack.  They just might luck out again and get a good return for Sam.

The Colts traded a third for Matt Ryan.  You aren’t getting anything of value for Sam.  His biggest value to the Colts is being on the active roster maybe with a special package and being developed as the QB 2 of the future.  

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The Browns have Brissett as a starter for 11 weeks. He could definitely be the backup there over that period. If Brissett ultimately bombs he could even start…

Browns have Dobbs and Rosen, both with experience.  Texans have Driskel, but I guess Sam could be an upgrade over Allen.

You have to remember we’re seeing him against 2s and 3s.  Don’t you think if he played against 1s they’d gameplan to keep him in the pocket to test his arm?  

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

I’d cut Foles and keep Sam but that won’t happen either we will keep foles and cut Sam or we will keep 3.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

You're not getting a 4 for Sam.   He hasn’t done anything to earn that after being a late 6 a year ago.   All he’s done is show he’s worth the 6 we spent.   But that’s it.  

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’d cut Foles and keep Sam but that won’t happen either we will keep foles and cut Sam or we will keep 3.

For whatever it’s worth….

Foles entire 22 salary is guaranteed, and roughly half of his 23 salary as well.   They aren’t big numbers, but it gives an idea of how much we value and respect Foles. 

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Colts traded a third for Matt Ryan.  You aren’t getting anything of value for Sam.  His biggest value to the Colts is being on the active roster maybe with a special package and being developed as the QB 2 of the future.  

If Ryan had been younger OR had much of a more salary friendly deal he’d have fetched more than a 3 for sure.

Ehlinger has earned a roster spot, hands down. But more than that it's the smart move to carry 3 quarterbacks. The Colts could carry 2 when Manning was on the team and he took almost every single snap, but now a 3rd qb is absolutely necessary. 

1 hour ago, Happy2BeHere said:

If Ryan had been younger OR had much of a more salary friendly deal he’d have fetched more than a 3 for sure.

The Colts made the Falcons eat the bad part of his contract so money wasn’t really a factor.  If a QB who has the pedigree of Matt Ryan, even at his age, goes for a third you aren’t getting anything for a second year player who has done nothing in real games.  Teams don’t just give away draft picks.  If the Colts released him and they could get him for nothing thats one thing but giving up a draft pick of any round let alone a fourth as was originally suggested isn’t happening.

48 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Sam has earned a roster move, but let's not act like he's the future. Keep things complacent 

Exactly Sam has earned a spot on the final 53.  They may have a special package for him like they did with Jacoby to take advantage of his skill set but make no mistake his job is going to be to learn from Ryan and Foles and hope he can develop into a back up when those two leave.  

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Playing WITH first stringers is also entirely different. Sam has been playing against and with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Archived