Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Crazy if they release Sam Ehlinger

AustexColt

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • w87r changed the title to Crazy if they release Sam Ehlinger
1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe they will trade for Sam.  You never know.

Eason is third string and sinking. He could be out of the league soon. Eason and Chad Kelly, now second string in the CFL, provide cautionary tales of QBs who looked decent in preseason but just aren't good enough. In my opinion, both have ample physical gifts, but lack the necessary mental ability.

Sam, on the other hand, seems to be just the opposite. Has all the mental gifts and intangibles but a questionable arm, which he is working to improve. I'm easily higher on him than I was on the other two.

If we keep Sam on the 53 what are his chances of being active game day?   I think pretty much zero.  Now if we only have three running backs that might change things.  If they don’t trade him now I can see a thought where they keep him on the 53 and see if things around the league change and a team is suddenly in need of a quarterback due to injury.  With the Watts injury he would be a player we could probably trade for a backup safety.  Decisions decisions.

If we keep Sam on the 53 what are his chances of being active game day?   I think pretty much zero.  Now if we only have three running backs that might change things.  If they don’t trade him now I can see a thought where they keep him on the 53 and see if things around the league change and a team is suddenly in need of a quarterback due to injury.  With the Watts injury he would be a player we could probably trade for a backup safety.  Decisions decisions.

Two Times Zombieorpheus GIF by zoefannet

13 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

Eason is third string and sinking. He could be out of the league soon. Eason and Chad Kelly, now second string in the CFL, provide cautionary tales of QBs who looked decent in preseason but just aren't good enough. In my opinion, both have ample physical gifts, but lack the necessary mental ability.

Sam, on the other hand, seems to be just the opposite. Has all the mental gifts and intangibles but a questionable arm, which he is working to improve. I'm easily higher on him than I was on the other two.

I only saw Sam a couple plays last night. Did he finally complete a nice downfield pass in the middle of the field? He has shown a "MENTAL" Problem with doing that. And it is a pretty big deal.

6 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I only saw Sam a couple plays last night. Did he finally complete a nice downfield pass in the middle of the field? He has shown a "MENTAL" Problem with doing that. And it is a pretty big deal.

OTOH, Carson Wentz has probably always earned himself at least a backup role in the NFL by ONLY completing down field passes in the middle of the field and showing that he doesn't possess the mental ability to see much else.

11 hours ago, AustexColt said:

If Frank and Chris are stupid enought to release Sam, The Texans will jump on it and sign him ASAP.  The kid is a winner and I will say it 100 times again that he is our answer to our fourth down and goal line option play.  I have been saying this time and time again on this website and on 1070 Morning Show. If Reich is smart he will devise plays for Sam down at the goal line. You can see from tonight's TD, he ran in total control. The Colts players all know that Sam is smart, cool headed and darn strong.  

I would temper that a little bit , it’s a way different ball game when you going against starters and your being game planned for 

11 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Sam had a nice scramble but I agree he doesn’t hit Wr in stride or throw them open . When he hitting Wr they wide wide open like jacoby ish 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Odds are, we are not releasing Sam.   He’s likely played his way on to the 53 man roster. 

As to everything else….   Let’s not get carried away.   Sam’s success has come against 2nd and 3rd stringers.   Playing against first stringers is entirely different.   

This is true...but he has played above the talent level of the 2nd and 3rd stringers...he is clearly able to win against that level..the only knock any one has on him is that he's not beat 1's..the only way for him to prove he can is to be given the chance

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Sam is never going to be a starter.  He probably won’t even be active this season.  

Sam has looked good 

I cheer for the guy (I'm a fellow Texan)

BUT

I agree with this statement

If a player is never going to be a starter...... and you CHOOSE to make him the 3rd string

(These guys know how to evaluate talent)

IMHO.......  I would LOVE to keep Sam Ehlinger on the 53..... 

But......

Do we need a 6th WR even more, that might actually see game action?

Do we need a RG for depth even more, that might actually see game action?

Do we need a backup for Grover Stewart even more, that might actually see game action?

Do we give up a player that can come in on special teams that would see action 15-18 plays a game?

Tough questions to answer....

If I loved Sam Ehlinger.....  I would have to figure a way to move him to number 2 guy

(I dont see that happening)

10 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Browns have Dobbs and Rosen, both with experience.  Texans have Driskel, but I guess Sam could be an upgrade over Allen.

You have to remember we’re seeing him against 2s and 3s.  Don’t you think if he played against 1s they’d gameplan to keep him in the pocket to test his arm?  

I’m sure they would. I didn’t say he’d play well. I didn’t even insinuate it. I’m saying they would likely at the very least consider it. Rosen has bounced around more than a UDFA since being drafted in the first round. 

Who would you rather have as your backup? Both guys went extensively against the 2s and 3s, Sam ended up 24/29 for 289 yards and 4 TDs while adding 6 rushes for 71 yards and a TD while Rosen went 17/33 for 186 yards, no TDs while rushing 6 times for 4 yards and no TDs.  

There’s literally no stretch here that Sam would be an upgrade over Rosen. Even with what little experience Rosen has.

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I’m sure they would. I didn’t say he’d play well. I didn’t even insinuate it. I’m saying they would likely at the very least consider it. Rosen has bounced around more than a UDFA since being drafted in the first round. 

Who would you rather have as your backup? Both guys went extensively against the 2s and 3s, Sam ended up 24/29 for 289 yards and 4 TDs while adding 6 rushes for 71 yards and a TD while Rosen went 17/33 for 186 yards, no TDs while rushing 6 times for 4 yards and no TDs.  

There’s literally no stretch here that Sam would be an upgrade over Rosen. Even with what little experience Rosen has.

Okay, let’s say the Browns pick him up because they’d rather have a guy who’s never played against starters than one who has real NFL experience.  He’s their #3 because why?  They plan on developing him to trade him?  Help me understand.  Most teams won’t even carry 3 QBs to begin with.  

Then Watson comes back.  Are they cutting Dobbs?  Surely not cutting Jacoby.  

Look, I’m not saying the Colts shouldn’t keep him on the 53.  I think they will.  

I am saying that a lot of people here are overrating him based on playing against 2s and 3s, with no Ds game planning for him.  He’s a perfect preseason QB.  Does the name Colt Brennan ring a bell?

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Okay, let’s say the Browns pick him up because they’d rather have a guy who’s never played against starters than one who has real NFL experience.  He’s their #3 because why?  They plan on developing him to trade him?  Help me understand.  Most teams won’t even carry 3 QBs to begin with.  

Then Watson comes back.  Are they cutting Dobbs?  Surely not cutting Jacoby.  

Look, I’m not saying the Colts shouldn’t keep him on the 53.  I think they will.  

I am saying that a lot of people here are overrating him based on playing against 2s and 3s, with no Ds game planning for him.  He’s a perfect preseason QB.  Does the name Colt Brennan ring a bell?

Yes. Cut Dobbs. Brissett/Ehlinger is a better QB room than any combination of Brissett/Rosen/Dobbs. When Watson comes back and they feel like they don’t need a third then they can cast Sam off because that’s what’s going to happen to Rosen and/or Dobbs when that time comes anyways. 

You’re saying he’s earned a roster spot, but that no other team would take a shot on him as their own number 2 or 3. If no other team is willing to roster him as a 2 or a 3 then why are we? Some team out there will make a spot for him. He’s checked all the boxes you look for as a backup. And the scouting report off the field matches that as well. 

It's pretty simple analysis.  If you think there is any chance he is your future starter, you keep him on the roster.   

Last preseason, despite the rave reviews from the Colts on Sam as a leader and whatnot, he looked nothing like a future NFL starter to me.  This year you can perhaps start to see it.  He might have a chance.

31 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Yes. Cut Dobbs. Brissett/Ehlinger is a better QB room than any combination of Brissett/Rosen/Dobbs. When Watson comes back and they feel like they don’t need a third then they can cast Sam off because that’s what’s going to happen to Rosen and/or Dobbs when that time comes anyways. 

You’re saying he’s earned a roster spot, but that no other team would take a shot on him as their own number 2 or 3. If no other team is willing to roster him as a 2 or a 3 then why are we? Some team out there will make a spot for him. He’s checked all the boxes you look for as a backup. And the scouting report off the field matches that as well. 

I think it’s a crap shoot whether another team would pick him up.  One that the Colts won’t take a chance on.  I like him.  I think his ceiling is a Matt Barkley type of backup.  

But I still think there’s a slim to none chance whether another team would take him a #2.  So how many carry 3 QBs?  I don’t know.

Here’s what I’d do.  Keep him active on game day. Set up some Taysom Hill types of plays.  Make Nick inactive.  Nick could still help on the sidelines as well as in the QB room.  That way we’re really not wasting two roster spots.  Matt rarely misses a game anyway.  

26 minutes ago, #12. said:

It's pretty simple analysis.  If you think there is any chance he is your future starter, you keep him on the roster.   

Last preseason, despite the rave reviews from the Colts on Sam as a leader and whatnot, he looked nothing like a future NFL starter to me.  This year you can perhaps start to see it.  He might have a chance.

I don’t think anyone with the Colts has ever seen him as a future starter.  I think they see him as a future QB2 and they have a plan to develop him into that.

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it’s worth….

Foles entire 22 salary is guaranteed, and roughly half of his 23 salary as well.   They aren’t big numbers, but it gives an idea of how much we value and respect Foles. 

Or how naive they are about Foles. Watching the Bucs game it was sad to hear the broadcasters say Foles has the job. It was hilarious to listen to Irsay try to smoothen out his feelings about Wentz after the flop vs. Jacksonville in the last game when in fact he went ballistic and wanted his head on a platter.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think anyone with the Colts has ever seen him as a future starter.  I think they see him as a future QB2 and they have a plan to develop him into that.

I don't know.  People generally don't rave for a year or so about the leadership qualities and intangibles of a backup.  

I'm obviously not saying he is your future starter or that anyone believes he for certain is, but if you think there is any chance he is, you keep him on the roster.

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

I don't know.  People generally don't rave for a year or so about the leadership qualities and intangibles of a backup.  

I'm obviously not saying he is your future starter or that anyone believes he for certain is, but if you think there is any chance he is, you keep him on the roster.

I think he’s staying on the roster.  I just don’t think the Colts are looking at Sam and going man he’s the future.  I think they are looking at him and going okay we like him maybe he can be a backup someday and used in special situations.  Nothing wrong with that you can use a good backup QB.  

I think he stays on the roster if for no other reason than how they got burned with Eason last year and they won’t want to risk that happening again if they can avoid it.

Also the Colts haven’t said much about Sam other than Ballard saying he had the “it” factor right after they drafted him.  Beyond that it’s generic stuff like they like him.  If anything Sam said the most telling thing in his interview during the Lions game when he said the Colts plans were for him to learn from Foles and Ryan for a couple of years and ultimately be the backup QB.  Most of the people raving about him are people here.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

There seems to be a fixation on here about young quarterbacks on the roster.  Same thing when Chad Kelly was here.  Many think he is the second coming.  He's maybe a future backup in this league at most imo.  He's the darling this year.  Maybe he stays maybe he won't.  We have two good veterans now and I'm good with that.  

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think he’s staying on the roster.  I just don’t think the Colts are looking at Sam and going man he’s the future.  I think they are looking at him and going okay we like him maybe he can be a backup someday and used in special situations.  Nothing wrong with that you can use a good backup QB.  

I think he stays on the roster if for no other reason than how they got burned with Eason last year and they won’t want to risk that happening again if they can avoid it.

Well, if that's what they believe his ceiling to be, if no one believes he could possibly ever be a starter at any point, then cutting him is no big deal.  You just signed another backup for two years and you will probably need the roster spot at some point.  

17 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll go one further. It would be stupid to stash him on the practice squad at this point. He would be claimed. We have to keep him on the 53 and have 3 QBs. In fact, if another team wants Nick Foles, I wouldn't mind trading him if the Colts want to keep Sam but only want to keep 2 QBs on the 53 man roster.

Yep, Foles is nothing special...but stubborn Frank will keep Foles and put Sam at risk.

1 minute ago, CanuckColt said:

Yep, Foles is nothing special...but stubborn Frank will keep Foles and put Sam at risk.

As he should.  We are trying to win a super bowl.  Foles is a proven vet.  They shouldn’t jeopardize the season with an unproven 2nd year player as the backup.  That’s crazy.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Odds are, we are not releasing Sam.   He’s likely played his way on to the 53 man roster. 

As to everything else….   Let’s not get carried away.   Sam’s success has come against 2nd and 3rd stringers.   Playing against first stringers is entirely different.   

Thank you for your sound reasoning...

As he should.  We are trying to win a super bowl.  Foles is a proven vet.  They shouldn’t jeopardize the season with an unproven 2nd year player as the backup.  That’s crazy.

I disagree. Foles has do nothing lately that says he is the better guy. Meanwhile Sam is more suited to play behind the current o line. Flacco has won a super bowl to do you want hi. As the backup. No one can get experience riding the bench. Sam passes the eye test. Foles is painter 2.0 who lucked into a ring.

10 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Playing WITH first stringers is also entirely different. Sam has been playing against and with 2nd and 3rd stringers.

You make a fair point.    But as others have pointed out, Sam typically makes his big splash plays running around playing street ball.   And it’s easier to do that against 2nd and 3rd stringers.   

Eason looked pretty good in ore-season against backups last year.   Then looked overwhelmed against the first stringers in the regular season.   That’s not uncommon.   The varsity in the regular season is completely different. 

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You make a fair point.    But as others have pointed out, Sam typically makes his big splash plays running around playing street ball.   And it’s easier to do that against 2nd and 3rd stringers.   

Eason looked pretty good in ore-season against backups last year.   Then looked overwhelmed against the first stringers in the regular season.   That’s not uncommon.   The varsity in the regular season is completely different. 

I don't recall Eason ever playing in the regular season.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He had like two snaps. He went in when Wentz sprained his ankles at the end of the rams game and immediatly turned it over.

This response is NOT an affirming one

Sam E is on the bubble for the 53

We have significant needs at DT (1 tech) and OL

These 2 needs may have us going with only 5 WRs as well as 2 QBs

59 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

This response is NOT an affirming one

Sam E is on the bubble for the 53

We have significant needs at DT (1 tech) and OL

These 2 needs may have us going with only 5 WRs as well as 2 QBs

I didn’t expect anything different then what Reich said there. The question will be is Sam more valuable then a 7th LB or 4th RB. Chances are a 3rd QB, 7th LB or a 4th RB aren’t even going to see the field and will be a healthy scratch unless there is injuries. So in the end does it really matter?

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

FWIW, I think they keep Sam on the 53. Next year, Sam takes over as #2 and Foles rides into retirement. That’s a plan that justifies keeping Sam. 

Why would Foles retire. He is 4 years younger then Ryan. When he signed he also mentioned how important it was to get that two year deal so his family was settled somewhere. Foles might end up being here longer then Ryan. As a vet backup to a young QB or maybe as the starter if Ryan retires in two years.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Why would Foles retire. He is 4 years younger then Ryan. When he signed he also mentioned how important it was to get that two year deal so his family was settled somewhere. Foles might end up being here longer then Ryan. As a vet backup to a young QB or maybe as the starter if Ryan retires in two years.

Because it is Matt Ryan who can play 3 more years at a good level -homer simpson fake smile GIF

Archived