Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do the Colts need a “Big Fatty” DT?

coltsfeva

I was looking at the roster and the heaviest DT we have is Grover at 315, with a few of the backups under 300 lbs. 

Given the way they have struggled against the run, do you think there’s a case for bringing in a DT over 320 to stop the run, even if that’s the only thing they excel in? 

Our current roster:

https://www.colts.com/team/players-roster/

30 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I was looking at the roster and the heaviest DT we have is Grover at 315, with a few of the backups under 300 lbs. 

Given the way they have struggled against the run, do you think there’s a case for bringing in a DT over 320 to stop the run, even if that’s the only thing they excel in? 

Our current roster:

We had a good one last year, and I would think Grover was still the biggest if I remember correctly

1.  What I think people are thinking of are normally more found in a 3-4 defense where you have a huge DT to eat up the middle of the line.  The Colts run a 4-3.  

2.  As 4-3 goes Grover is pretty big and pretty good.  Then there is that Buckner guy who is maybe the second best DT in football.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

Our current roster:

Colts will be toward the bottom of the league in stopping the run. 

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not sure why you say that.  They ranked 11th last year and return all their key stoppers.

Hes probably thinking because of the new scheme.  Which is attack the passer.  Plus Yannick isn’t known for his run stopping.  So you have to imagine teams are going to go at him.  

The run D was atrocious in the preseason so far, but that’s meaningless and has no bearing on how they’ll look in the regular season. 

Our defense….   Both under Fkus and now Bradley….    Is based on speed, quickness, effort….   It is not sized based.   

it’s apparent in both our DL and our LB. 

Our DTs are 275-315

Our DEs are 230-275

Our LBs are 215-235

It’s what Ballard wants, and what our DCs want as well.   As others have noted, we have graded well against the run.   

I think there is a case to bring in someone bigger. In an ideal world I think you would have a bigger DT on the roster. Even if he isn't a starter but someone you use mainly on a situational basis. 

I wouldn't go out and acquire one just to have a bigger DT though. 

I think it's worth noting that Eberflus had a bigger DT in Al Woods his first year in Indy. Gus Bradley had Alan Branch in Seattle and Johnathan Hankins in Las Vegas. I'm pretty sure those guys were over 330. 

I think there is still a place for a bigger DT and it's a nice to have but not necessarily a requirement. 

Probably will roll with Stewart and Byron Cowart at 1-tech.

Buckner and Eric Johnson at 3-tech, same with Curtis Brooks.

Dayo and Tyquan Lewis can swing over to 3-tech on some passing downs.

Ultimately, though slightly undersized (but tall, long arms), plenty of bodies to rotate at those positions. Definitely beats the days of Eric Foster and Keyunta Dawson as starting DTs with little depth behind them.

A bigger body doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to be good, we also don’t run a 3-4 where you need bigger bodies to hold up guys and take on double teams. This defense is more of an attacking defense where you need guys to penetrate and wreak havoc in the backfield. 

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Not sure why you say that.  They ranked 11th last year and return all their key stoppers.

You haven't been paying attention. Eberflus had us playing mostly a 4-2 with our D-LINE playing run first. Clearly one of the reasons we didn't have a good pass rush. And he didn't like to blitz. Remember?

I'm not explaining Bradley's D to you.  Do a simple google.

Oh maybe i will. Think the Giants defense when they beat NE in the SB.

The scheme has changed with the new coordinator. We have been great at stopping the run under flus with a lot of these same players we have now. We have been very very bad though so far in the preseason. Hopefully that changes. The new scheme is geared more toward getting after the QB which in turn will be softer against the run so be prepared for a possible drop off.

5 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Probably will roll with Stewart and Byron Cowart at 1-tech.

Buckner and Eric Johnson at 3-tech, same with Curtis Brooks.

Dayo and Tyquan Lewis can swing over to 3-tech on some passing downs.

Ultimately, though slightly undersized (but tall, long arms), plenty of bodies to rotate at those positions. Definitely beats the days of Eric Foster and Keyunta Dawson as starting DTs with little depth behind them.

I believe Chris Williams is who the Colts hope will back up Grover.  Hopefully he has a good showing tomorrow. 

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well they were 2 gapping.  You do that to minimize running lanes and keep blockers off LBs.  This year will have a lot more 1 gapping and it’s going to create more penetration but it will also open up more running lanes.  This isn’t in question.  This is what will happen.  period.  full stop.

It’s not good or bad in and of itself (I’m ducking from the Sunshine Mafia right now), you are hoping the penetration creates more negative plays and that your LBs and S come and fill the gaps.  Blackmon seems particularly suited for that role depending how his body holds up.  You should see some major, hellacious type hits with this D.

Shaq is the interesting one here.  I’ve read he’s going to play MIKE.  It is certainly unconventional to play a guy as light as him at MIKE in this scheme and it would in ways limit the freedom he had in Flus scheme.  He will be taking alot more direct punishment from linemen and ball carriers.  One of his primary roles will be taking up blocks and keeping the WILL clean.  This seems to me a odd choice for Shaq.  I thought maybe he was looking a little bigger, but these guys are usually in the 230 to 240 range.  According to himself, Shaq’s been playing around 215 or less.  He’s had lots of health issues and playing MIKE in this scheme will expose him to more engagement.  But he should have more opportunities to rush the passer too which is likely the primary reason to put him here.  We shall see how she goes.

Paye is good v run.  Big Grove will be a key keeping Shaq cleaner.  

It will look a lot different that what we are used to.

so in regards to the run, we are going to see more guys break the LOS clean and it will be up to other players to be in the right spot and make plays.  We will probably give up more run yardage while creating less run opportunities with penetration and negative plays putting teams in more passing downs.

9 hours ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Is Vince Wilfork available? LoL 

That dude definitely fits the mold your looking for, the man was a sasquatch on the D- line. 

And he was also a 3-4 tackle which is what my point was that’s the defense you find those guys in.  The Colts run a 4-3.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

And he was also a 3-4 tackle which is what my point was that’s the defense you find those guys in.  The Colts run a 4-3.

Anything else? I was obviously making a joke about the big fatty remarks from the OP... Obviously we run a 4-3... I'm just saying if HE wants a big fatty, there was none bigger than Vince lol.

11 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

The scheme has changed with the new coordinator. We have been great at stopping the run under flus with a lot of these same players we have now. We have been very very bad though so far in the preseason. Hopefully that changes. The new scheme is geared more toward getting after the QB which in turn will be softer against the run so be prepared for a possible drop off.

and in our division we will be facing some good running teams

2 hours ago, TheBlueAndWhite said:

Anything else? I was obviously making a joke about the big fatty remarks from the OP... Obviously we run a 4-3... I'm just saying if HE wants a big fatty, there was none bigger than Vince lol.

I am just saying why he doesn’t fit the mold of what the Colts need.  That’s more an issue with the OP desire than you.

23 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am just saying why he doesn’t fit the mold of what the Colts need.  That’s more an issue with the OP desire than you.

Maybe my title was misleading. If the design of Gus Bradley’s defense is for the Dline to attack the QB, what happens when the opposing team has the lead and isn’t going to run?
   Say, Grover is hurt and they decide they’re going to run the ball to run the clock down. Maybe we don’t necessarily need a “big fatty” but I have concerns that the Colts are relatively light and may have trouble stopping the run.

26 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Maybe my title was misleading. If the design of Gus Bradley’s defense is for the Dline to attack the QB, what happens when the opposing team has the lead and isn’t going to run?
   Say, Grover is hurt and they decide they’re going to run the ball to run the clock down. Maybe we don’t necessarily need a “big fatty” but I have concerns that the Colts are relatively light and may have trouble stopping the run.

Like most teams of course if their key guys get hurt they are going to be in trouble.  Also, just because a defense is designed to attack the QB doesn’t mean they just go oh well vs the run.  They can and will play both.  

Archived