Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peolple still want to see Julio Jones join the Colt's.

Bolt Colt

People still want to see Julio Jones join the Colts

by Jaleel Grandberry

As NFL training camps approach, many still want the Indianapolis Colts to sign Julio Jones as their final offseason move.

The NFL has had an incredibly busy offseason. Several high-profile players either found new teams or received hefty extensions. However, as busy as the offseason has been so far, there are still a few moves that can be made.

The Indianapolis Colts have made their fair share of moves as well this offseason. They traded away Carson Wentz and traded for Matt Ryan, and also traded for Yannick Ngakoue and signed Stephon Gilmore. While those are quite the moves, Indy may not be done.

With training camps just around the corner, Doug Kyed from PFF wrote a recent piece detailing “One trade or free agent acquisition for all 32 NFL teams before 2022 training camp.” For the Colts, Kyed believes the team should sign Julio Jones.

PFF suggests the Colts sign Julio Jones

Kyed’s case is short and sweet, Indy’s receiving corp isn’t currently highly rated, and Julio Jones and Matt Ryan were one of the best duos of the last decade. Because of those two things, Jones signing with Indianapolis “makes way too much sense.”

It’s true, the Colts signing Julio Jones seems rather ideal. He’s one of the best wide receivers of all time, and even if he’s not what he used to be, he can still be a boost for this young and unproven wide receiver room in Indianapolis.

Last season, Jones had a game where he had six receptions for 128 yards, showing that he can still be productive. Also, 10 years with a quarterback doesn’t just go out the window. Jones and Ryan likely still have a rapport that can manifest into valuable production.

Unless the Colts plan on bringing TY Hilton back for another season, there’s no reason why they shouldn’t bring in Julio Jones on an affordable deal.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These sports writers are desperate to pump out content.  This guy starts by saying "many still want the Indianapolis Colts to sign Julio Jones" but doesn't speak to who those "many" are.  Then goes on to just use someone else's article to state his case. 

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

These sports writers are desperate to pump out content.  This guy starts by saying "many still want the Indianapolis Colts to sign Julio Jones" but doesn't speak to who those "many" are.  Then goes on to just use someone else's article to state his case. 

Very true.

Guess they gotta pay the bills somehow.

Julio was an incredible receiver. Sadly i think his time has passed.  There is room for him but how much will he demand the ball?  I just dont see the plus side of adding an injury riddled veteran that we will surely have to rework our offense when he goes down.  Plus...maybe Matt Ryan doesnt want him. 

He and TY’s ship has sailed.  I think a recognizable name is all they really have to offer.  If we need to add an experienced wide receiver I would lean to a signing or trade at cut down day.  Other than that I would stand pat or maybe wait for OBJ to heal and see if a signing is possible there.

Not sure who the many are. PFF's pick was more or less the easiest string to grab given WR unit ranking is lowest among our units. And it's simply easy to connect Julio with Ryan.

I'm all for it though if Ryan wants it. He knows better than any coach or FO guy, and his performance/success will be tied to Julio if he indeed lobbies for him.

But overall, we're already overstocked with bigs. Bigs that lack experience, but still we're overloaded. Adding Julio might allow us to be more flexible with Pittman (letting him run more from the slot or seam routes). A lineup of a healthy Campbell, Pittman, and Julio though sounds nice on paper assuming Julio still has some left in the tank. 

But doubt it happens. If Campbell gets hurt in camp though, I'd imagine we'd definitely grab either TY or Julio. 

Imo, unless the colts don't like what they see at WR in training camp I don't see an addition to the WR room. Colts seem to be contempt with letting the young guys play. As for leadership, Pitt has had two years to learn from Hilton and has Reggie in his ear so I think they will be fine in that area.

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Lets get into camp, and see how the WR crew is running...... if we are still lacking.... bring a lower cost vet in

I'm with ya. I want to see the guys we have get the reps so we can see what we have. 

I don't think TY or Julio will cost much though, so they'd fit the lower cost vet requirement if we do need to grab someone. 

7 hours ago, gspdx said:

Sports writers today are a joke and so is this idea, he's done

If Campbell stays healthy, I think we stand pat. Perhaps they would still look for a steal during cut down time at the end of August.

If PC does get injured, or someone else considered to be a key rotational player (Pittman, Dulin, Pierce) gets injured, then I do think they'd probably go after a vet.

Current vets available inside the top 50...

Overall FA Rank / WR

#1 OBJ - won't be of help to late season. Likely too pricey anyway

#4 Julio Jones - I'm fine with it if that's what Ryan wants

#5 Antonio Brown - our locker room is strong, not sure it's that strong lol

#13 Will Fuller - would have to be with the expectation he'd miss half the year

#15 Cole Beasley 

#16 TY Hilton - If PC goes down, absolutely

#17 Emmanuel Sanders 

#49 Willie Snead

If you want a cheap older veteran on the roster to mostly be a good mentor for the younger guys, then I’d be fine with either Julio or TY.  But if you want a cheap older vet who could still contribute on the field and help win games, I think I’d rather have Emmanuel Sanders.  

55 minutes ago, TonyBungee said:

If you want a cheap older veteran on the roster to mostly be a good mentor for the younger guys, then I’d be fine with either Julio or TY.  But if you want a cheap older vet who could still contribute on the field and help win games, I think I’d rather have Emmanuel Sanders.  

I'd have zero problem with ES. 

He did OK last season with Buffalo. 

I think the FO would chose TY over him though, if we were shopping for Z type WRs. 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

If Campbell stays healthy, I think we stand pat. Perhaps they would still look for a steal during cut down time at the end of August.

If PC does get injured, or someone else considered to be a key rotational player (Pittman, Dulin, Pierce) gets injured, then I do think they'd probably go after a vet.

Overall FA Rank / WR

#15 Cole Beasley 

#17 Emmanuel Sanders 

#49 Willie Snead

I'll Box #4-#15-#17 in the Exacta....and hope #16 gets blocked in stretch. I don't like the odds on TY, he's the favorite. 

haha

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'll Box #4-#15-#17 in the Exacta....and hope #16 gets blocked in stretch. I don't like the odds on TY, he's the favorite. 

haha

Don't make me salivate with pony talk. 

My last trip to KY to bet the ponies was epic. Hit 5 exactas and 2 trifectas, with a few of those with fantastic odds. Also hit a straight longshot to win. 

I don't go often, but normally fair pretty well. Never had a day like that though. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My last trip to KY to bet the ponies was epic. Hit 5 exactas and 2 trifectas, with a few of those with fantastic odds. Also hit a straight longshot to win. 

I don't go often, but normally fair pretty well. Never had a day like that though. 

Congrats. 

I'm not as knowledgeable in horses as greyhounds.  I grew up handicapping & betting greyhounds at our local Palm Beach Kennel Club. I will  say I was one of the better handicappers at our track. Easily in the top 5%. I started betting when I was in the 4th grade and sent my bets on my mom cause her and Papa and family went to track just about every night. I couldn't go because back then no minors allowed. I was a kid in grade school and had a dresser full of money from my winnings lol.

I supplemented my income for decades from the dog track... my oldest brother wrote a handicapping article for the Gambling Times magazine, a national publication.  

I've been off at betting the Triple Crown races the last couple years, not so much not betting the winning horses but off in my wagering.  I go for mostly the exotic bets like the superfecta, which the payoffs are so greatly inflated in the Kentucky Derby. The Derby is the Best Betting race of the year.....if you can hit it, especially a exotic!!!

18 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Congrats. 

I'm not as knowledgeable in horses as greyhounds.  I grew up handicapping & betting greyhounds at our local Palm Beach Kennel Club. I will  say I was one of the better handicappers at our track. Easily in the top 5%. I started betting when I was in the 4th grade and sent my bets on my mom cause her and Papa and family went to track just about every night. I couldn't go because back then no minors allowed. I was a kid in grade school and had a dresser full of money from my winnings lol.

I supplemented my income for decades from the dog track... my oldest brother wrote a handicapping article for the Gambling Times magazine, a national publication.  

I've been off at betting the Triple Crown races the last couple years, not so much not betting the winning horses but off in my wagering.  I go for mostly the exotic bets like the superfecta, which the payoffs are so greatly inflated in the Kentucky Derby. The Derby is the Best Betting race of the year.....if you can hit it, especially a exotic!!!

I started very young too. In the summer, my aunts that babysat me, all went to one of the KY or Cinci tracks a few times a month. I learned to read the racing form when I was about 10. My mom would always give me 10 bucks when we went, so I was very peculiar with what I assumed would be five $2 bets. I started winning little bits here and there, and didn't need my mom's $10 bucks anymore lol. When I was in my teens, my dad's best friend (who owned a bar) did several bus trips a year, and I was allowed to go. At about 16, a lot of the regulars started asking me for picks every trip. 

I read a really good book (small paperback) that I got from my uncle when I was like 12 or 13. It broke it down super simple, and had a somewhat statistical approach. I can still read the racing form pretty well, but I've forgotten most of it. I look for types of horses, types of races, owners, trainers, jockeys, etc. The biggest success factor I've found over the years is simply the horses performances leading up to the race. If he was gaining place wise, and especially if he placed the last race, the odds went way up. 

I don't go much at all anymore. Not really a dog fan, but honestly it's just that I've never really tried. Always wanted to go when I'm down in SW FL, just never pulled the trigger. I don't really like betting the Triple Crowns, but I do occasionally. The TCs are simply tighter to handicap compared to other races. I have had some success, but of the big races, I've been best at the Breeder's Cup. Hit my biggest ever longshot (didn't start that way, started at 9 or 10 to 1). ended up 130ish to 1. I loved his profile, but loved the jockey even more.

Overall, I try and stick to boxing exactas and trifectas, with a few straight bets here and there. It's always worked pretty well for me. Now I want to head to Turfway in a few weeks if I head back to Indy lol. 

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If Campbell stays healthy, I think we stand pat.

The more I think about it, the more I think him being healthy could be the key (along with Ryan of course) on how good our passing O is. It'd be interesting to see what he can do over a full season. If he stays healthy and is even close to expectations, we could (repeat could) have a truly superior WR group.

Overall FA Rank / WR

Yeah

I'm not!

I hesitate to say this and jinx it, but I think our front office is far too intelligent and classy to even consider this P O S. If we sign him, I root for whoever plays the Colts, sorry. I never root for scum. Ever.

Which is why it's a dumb move...

#15 Cole Beasley 

For modest money I'd be fine w/this

ugh. Nothing against the guy but he's done...that better be a cheap signing and one year only.

#17 Emmanuel Sanders 

I'm cool with this but again not for a ton of money.

#49 Willie Snead

That better be vet minimum and I wouldn't expect much...

19 minutes ago, jonjon said:

The more I think about it, the more I think him being healthy could be the key (along with Ryan of course) on how good our passing O is. It'd be interesting to see what he can do over a full season. If he stays healthy and is even close to expectations, we could (repeat could) have a truly superior WR group.

Yup. Campbell staying healthy would change things dramatically in terms of the outlook for our passing game. He was Ryan's favorite in OTAs. Would be a game changer for Ryan to have both him and Pittman all season.

I'm cautious on Pierce (early), but I think he could really make an impact later in the season if he gets his route tree to an acceptable level. He's got a lot of work to do obviously, but I love his potential/ceiling.

As far as the vet options, I really don't look at any of them as saviors or anything. 

Campbell, Pittman, Dulin, and Pierce are likely locked in at this early point (could change) as the standard 4-man rotation. I would not be surprised however to see Strachan, Patmon, or Coutee make some noise in camp/pre-season. But honestly, I don't mind if they choose to grab a vet on team friendly deal to take that 5th or 6th spot. We have a lot of bigs already, so I'd lean towards TY or Sanders that fit the Z profile, which we're a bit short on. 

I wouldnt mind Julio at all at the right price. His health is the key. Hes still got juice left.

I think hed help us extend possessions on 3rd down and in the red zone. Hes still a deep threat if you need to tap in to that here and there.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Overall FA Rank / WR

#15 Cole Beasley 

#17 Emmanuel Sanders 

#49 Willie Snead

The only one on this list I would put in our top 3 is OBJ.  Some of these guys will be signed during and after training camp when injuries happen. Them still being available points towards they arent that good anymore or they value themselves more than what they are worth. 

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Those are the days.  Did you try to keep the roll going or did you quit while ahead?

not a big bettor. . . Losing hurts more than winning feels good.

but when I was younger I had a couple of Vegas trips that I did well at the black jack tables and sports book, and I live about 5 miles from a Ellis park which is actually North of the Ohio and worked there in college summers and had a few good days, especially n the mud betting dog milers in sloppy 6 furlong races.  That roll thing is pretty intoxicating, but losing just ain’t no fun lol.

8 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

The only one on this list I would put in our top 3 is OBJ.  Some of these guys will be signed during and after training camp when injuries happen. Them still being available points towards they arent that good anymore or they value themselves more than what they are worth. 

Agree to an extent. I still think Brown can play at a high level, but he's just a train wreck. I think others are good enough to start on a lot of teams, just have way too much injury history. Fuller is only 28, and has been very good when healthy, but he can't stay on the field. 

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Those are the days.  Did you try to keep the roll going or did you quit while ahead?

not a big bettor. . . Losing hurts more than winning feels good.

but when I was younger I had a couple of Vegas trips that I did well at the black jack tables and sports book, and I live about 5 miles from a Ellis park which is actually North of the Ohio and worked there in college summers and had a few good days, especially n the mud betting dog milers in sloppy 6 furlong races.  That roll thing is pretty intoxicating, but losing just ain’t no fun lol.

I'm pretty controlled/systemic when I gamble, and I don't gamble often. There was a period in my early 20s where I gambled somewhat regularly (not a ton) because my best friend was a bookie. Back then it was limited to horses and sports, and a monthly poker game. 

Overall, I view gambling as purely entertainment, have a set amount of money to play with, and always assume all will be lost lol.... If you view it that way, you'll never get in trouble. 

Not sure I'm a "keep it rolling guy". On horses, I'm extremely systemic in my approach. I study the racing form well in advance, and have all my bets more or less set before I even get to the track. I only really change things up if there's big jumps in odds on specific horses or if my picks are scratched. And I have a rule that once I double my starter money, I put my starter money back in my pocket, and it stays there. I might get a little looser with winnings after that, upping my preplanned bets a bit. But I'm normally buying more drinks for the group I'm with, more than upping my bets if I'm winning. When I hit all those races, I went home with about 4-5k in winnings, but had also spent a good amount buying my fellow bus trippers food and cocktails. I did up my bets on the last two races, and hit one of them for a nice parting gift. 

Don't think I've ever been to Ellis. In my young days, we mostly went to Latonia (now Turfway), Churchill, and River Downs (now Belterra). These days, when back in Indy, my mom prefers the closest track (IN Downs / Horseshoe). 

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

I'm pretty controlled/systemic when I gamble, and I don't gamble often. There was a period in my early 20s where I gambled somewhat regularly (not a ton) because my best friend was a bookie. Back then it was limited to horses and sports, and a monthly poker game. 

Overall, I view gambling as purely entertainment, have a set amount of money to play with, and always assume all will be lost lol.... If you view it that way, you'll never get in trouble. 

Not sure I'm a "keep it rolling guy". On horses, I'm extremely systemic in my approach. I study the racing form well in advance, and have all my bets more or less set before I even get to the track. I only really change things up if there's big jumps in odds on specific horses or if my picks are scratched. And I have a rule that once I double my starter money, I put my starter money back in my pocket, and it stays there. I might get a little looser with winnings after that, upping my preplanned bets a bit. But I'm normally buying more drinks for the group I'm with, more than upping my bets if I'm winning. When I hit all those races, I went home with about 4-5k in winnings, but had also spent a good amount buying my fellow bus trippers food and cocktails. I did up my bets on the last two races, and hit one of them for a nice parting gift. 

Don't think I've ever been to Ellis. In my young days, we mostly went to Latonia (now Turfway), Churchill, and River Downs (now Belterra). These days, when back in Indy, my mom prefers the closest track (IN Downs / Horseshoe). 

Ellis is a dog track.  Unless you knew someone in Evanspatch, you wouldn’t come down there for horses.

Exotics were known as sucker bets but i bussed two summers in the clubhouse and saw a lot of dudes who thought they knew better lose a lot of many too.

I never could have had a problem with betting, but I just find losing as boring as a Jags/Texans game.

Archived