Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here is just a fun topic, no debates but what is your top 3 favorite Colts teams/seasons ever. Not best but just favorites?

2006Coltsbestever

No debating here, not who was the best blah blah, but your top 3 favorite seasons. I bring this topic up because of Goose passing away. My top 3 are:

3. 2012 - Andrew Luck's rookie season. We went from 2-14 to 11-5 and made the playoffs. All the great comebacks Luck had were so exciting. So many great games that season. 11-5 is 11-5. At that time my nick name for Luck was 'The Natural'. Such a fun season.

2. 1995 - Made the AFC Title Game and was a play away from the SB. Harbaugh and Goose. Too bad Faulk was injured but that playoff run was awesome! Our defense was so solid and Harbaugh was magical when it counted.

1. 2006 - It is #1 because we won the SB. We had to go through Ray, Ed, and McNair at Baltimore, then beat Tom and BB + beating the Bears was sweet because around here there are a lot of Bears fans. Peyton's legacy was on the line and he got it done with a perfect 2nd half vs the Pats. Bob Sanders could've been MVP for the whole playoffs in reality.

In no particular order.

The Jim Harbaugh led team that almost made the SB.

Any team with pre-injury Edgerrin James.

The SB winning team because of the defense when Bob Sanders was playing.

I thought/think that all post PM team had some major flaws with either offense or defense and were never destined for as much success..

I want to include the 1995 season but there are just so many Manning lead seasons that were fun and exciting even though the ends usually were not good.  It was a great time when you knew there was a shot at a long run in the playoffs each year.

Yeah this is not about who were our best teams, it is about the most fun and your favorites watching for a season. Eventhough I have 2006 as #1 and think it was the best, it was my favorite and funnest season to watch. 1995 is #2 on my list, it wasn't a better team than 2005 or 2009 but the topic is about how much joy you got out of a Colts team in a certain season. For example, 2012 shocked the hell out of me. I knew Luck would be good but not that good lmao . I had us going 8-8 that year which would've been a 6 game improvement, most had us pegged at 5-11, maybe 6-10. That was some great stuff in 2012. 1995 we could've realistically been SB Champs with a few breaks but that is football for ya.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2. 1995 - Made the AFC Title Game and was a play away from the SB. Harbaugh and Goose. Too bad Faulk was injured but that playoff run was awesome! Our defense was so solid and Harbaugh was magical when it counted. I’m adding that we got screwed by a very bad call and should have been in the Super Bowl. 

1. 2006 - It is #1 because we won the SB. We had to go through Ray, Ed, and McNair at Baltimore, then beat Tom and BB + beating the Bears was sweet because around here there are a lot of Bears fans. Peyton's legacy was on the line and he got it done with a perfect 2nd half vs the Pats. Bob Sanders could've been MVP for the whole playoffs in reality.

3. 2009- 14-2, should have been 16-0. Granted we lost in the Super Bowl to Brees and the Saints, but I feel that team was our most complete team ever with Peyton Manning under helm. Freeney getting hurt in the AFCCG really hurt our D and our O sucked against the Saints in the Super Bowl for whatever reason. But we were there. Which is still better than any other team

otherwise, I agree

I'll have to come back with my top 3, but as an honorable mention I had a ton of fun watching JT last year, the Cardinal's win, Patriots win, 49ers and even the close game against the Ravens. Watching Taylor last year was pretty special.

1.  2006 - We defeated the hated Patriots to advance to - and - win the Super Bowl !!

2.  2007 - Another outstanding team

3.  2003 - Watching every single one of Peyton Manning's 49 TDs to break Dan Marino's TD single-season passing record 

The first 3 Luck playoff seasons were all good -  lotta comebacks, with the ultimate comeback vs. the Chiefs in the playoffs.  

2018 - bouncing back from 1-5 was a fun ride.

The 2020 Rivers season is underrated.

2015 actually had some fun moments with the Colts holding their own with Hasselbeck at QB.

From start to finish, 1999 and 2003 were probably the most enjoyable Manning rides.  Polian completely sucked the life out of the 2005 and 2009 seasons.  Irsay should have stepped in like he did with Wentz..  The 2006 playoff ride was amazing, obviously, but the end of that season was pretty negative.

1995 was a great playoff run and the season had its moments, but it wasn't an amazing season from start to finish.  The playoff clinching game against the Patriots was one of the most boring games I've ever sat through.

46 minutes ago, #12. said:

Polian completely sucked the life out of the 2005 and 2009 seasons. 

The 2009 season was the beginning of the end for me as thinking of the Colts as a special team.  I don't mean the just SB loss.  To me, the entire roster was starting to get old, and you could see Polian not building a roster that transitioned away from aging vets to a team that's trying to wring as many wins out of the existing old roster until it fails badly.   The 2006 SB season had much more substance to it than that 2009 season, IMO.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No debating here, not who was the best blah blah, but your top 3 favorite seasons. I bring this topic up because of Goose passing away. My top 3 are:

3. 2012 - Andrew Luck's rookie season. We went from 2-14 to 11-5 and made the playoffs. All the great comebacks Luck had were so exciting. So many great games that season. 11-5 is 11-5. At that time my nick name for Luck was 'The Natural'. Such a fun season.

2. 1995 - Made the AFC Title Game and was a play away from the SB. Harbaugh and Goose. Too bad Faulk was injured but that playoff run was awesome! Our defense was so solid and Harbaugh was magical when it counted.

If you're going to pick EVERYBODY'S favorite years/runs what's the point of the thread? 

Messing with you. My favorite years in the same order.

1. 2006 SB team.  That was such a great run in the playoffs.  I enjoyed every game, especially coming back to beat the Patriots. I lived in Ft Wayne so during the SB there were a ton of Bears fans.  I almost got punched in the mouth bc a group of them were talking mad junk when they ran the opening kickoff for td and then did nothing and i let them know. Lots of beer was involved lol. 

2. 2009.  Starting 14-0 was awesome. Not talking about the last two games lol. SB was an incredible game and we just got outplayed on a few plays and the Saints beat us. We didnt lose the game...the Saints won it and Im ok with that. That onside kick was one heck of a call.  Was a great season even tho we came up short. 

3. 2014  Mainly bc we beat the Bengals in the 1st round and my long time friend is a huge Cincy fan and we had a blast talking trash to each other leading up to that.  Then beating the Broncos and Peyton. I loved it bc a ton of people i knew switched to being Broncos fans.  Thats what they deserved for jumping on the bandwagon even tho i was happy to see him win another ring on his way out. I didnt think we stood a chance vs the Patriots so losing didnt bother me. Was a fun year that made me believe we were knocking on the door of another title. Yeah...it went south quickly but at the time we were flying high and it was fun. 

22 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was about to say same but in reverse order but now see you did it in a countdown so same order!

4 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Surprised not to see more noise for 2012. Luck's rookie season, #ChuckStrong, that game against GB when Reggie went off, that game against the Lions, and seeing JJ Watts face on the bench when we beat them to stop them getting a bye in the playoffs. 

I have it as #3, loved that season. The GB game was unreal but also the Lions game was a miracle comeback. I just couldn't believe we went 11-5 when many had us at 5-11. I was somewhere in the middle going into that season. I had us at 8-8 because it was a rebuild but I knew Luck would be good and we still Reggie and Mathis.

Hard to pick 3, but here goes.

2006 - Cannot beat winning it all, especially after the frustration of the previous years. 

2009 - woulda shoulda coulda Between Freeney's bum ankle and Hank Baskett's (lack of) hands on the onside kick, things just conspired to deprive another SB.

2004 - Three receivers with 10+ TDs and an offense that ran up numbers like a slot machine

9 hours ago, coltsfan1965 said:

Hard to pick 3, but here goes.

2006 - Cannot beat winning it all, especially after the frustration of the previous years. 

2009 - woulda shoulda coulda Between Freeney's bum ankle and Hank Baskett's (lack of) hands on the onside kick, things just conspired to deprive another SB.

2004 - Three receivers with 10+ TDs and an offense that ran up numbers like a slot machine

04- it was 3 receivers with 10+ td's and over 1000 yards

06- SB year

99- i think it was99 PM's 2nd year where we went from 3-13 to 13-3

On 6/24/2022 at 4:48 AM, SteelCityColt said:

Surprised not to see more noise for 2012. Luck's rookie season, #ChuckStrong, that game against GB when Reggie went off, that game against the Lions, and seeing JJ Watts face on the bench when we beat them to stop them getting a bye in the playoffs. 

It’s definitely in my top three. That season brought something much needed to a lot of people: hope. Not sure I can explain it well enough, but there was just something magical about 2012. The beginning of Luck, a future to look forward to. The expectations weren’t of Super Bowls that year. So in a strange way it felt nice to just enjoy everything as it happened. 

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

2005 was easily the colts most complete team in terms of offense and defense. They were dominate and way better then the 06 team.

SP Teams were better in 2006 = Vinatieri - that is huge. I'll take 2006 in a close game in a simulation because I know my kicker won't blow a game like silly head did vs Pitt in 2005. In 2006, Vinny 5-5 outdoors vs Ray and company (divisional round). Only difference between 2005 and 2006 on offense was we had Edge, but 2006 we went RB by committee = Addai and Rhodes. That is a wash IMO. 2006 team still had Marv, Reggie, and Clark - same team as 2005. We were tougher mentally in 2006 as well and still started 9-0, also we went 10-0 at home in 2006 counting the playoffs. We took care of our HFA which true champions do.  In 2005 we didn't have it mentally. We came out flat like a pancake vs Pitt in the playoffs, in 2006 we were ready.  Bob Sanders was possessed in the 2006 playoffs.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

SP Teams were better in 2006 = Vinatieri - that is huge. I'll take 2006 in a close game in a simulation because I know my kicker won't blow a game like silly head did vs Pitt in 2005. In 2006, Vinny 5-5 outdoors vs Ray and company (divisional round). Only difference between 2005 and 2006 on offense was we had Edge, but 2006 we went RB by committee = Addai and Rhodes. That is a wash IMO. 2006 team still had Marv, Reggie, and Clark - same team as 2005. We were tougher mentally in 2006 as well and still started 9-0, also we went 10-0 at home in 2006 counting the playoffs. We took care of our HFA which true champions do.  In 2005 we didn't have it mentally. We came out flat like a pancake vs Pitt in the playoffs, in 2006 we were ready.  Bob Sanders was possessed in the 2006 playoffs.

The defense was way worse in 2006. We couldn't stop the run against any team. Every RB we faced in the regular season had 100 yards rushing

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

The defense was way worse in 2006. We couldn't stop the run against any team. Every RB we faced in the regular season had 100 yards rushing

Bob missed 12 games so that is skewed. In the playoffs we dominated against the run. We held Larry Johnson to 17 yards and he led the league in rushing.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bob missed 12 games so that is skewed. In the playoffs we dominated against the run. We held Larry Johnson to 17 yards and he led the league in rushing.

Ok so what? Teams miss players all the time and don't have that type of horrible stat line where every team rushed for over 100 yards

15 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok so what? Teams miss players all the time and don't have that type of horrible stat line where every team rushed for over 100 yards

I go by playoffs, that is when it really matters. 2006 is hands down our greatest team ever. 16-4 overall = 80% win shares, started 9-0, 10-0 at home. We beat a Baltimore team at Baltimore that was loaded in the divisional round as an underdog. That is how great that Baltimore team was. We beat Tom and BB in the AFC Title Game. Say what you want about Chicago because they had Rex Grossman but they had the best SP teams and defense in the league and we beat them.

Since the 2002 realign of the divisions which is a 20 season sample size, I think we have had the 2nd best team in the AFC of all-time only behind the 2014 Patriots. If I had to seed 6 teams in the AFC since 2002, it would be:

#1 - 2014 Patriots - AFC East Champs

#2 - 2006 Colts - AFC South Champs

-These would be the Bye's

#3 - 2008 Steelers - AFC North Champs

#4 - 2019 Chiefs - AFC West Champs

#5 - 2012 Ravens - I have them as a Wild Card in this discussion

#6 - 2015 Broncos - Wild Card in this discussion

I did 1 team per franchise and what is funny is, Peyton has 2 teams in this = 2006 and 2015 The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I go by playoffs, that is when it really matters. 2006 is hands down our greatest team ever. 16-4 overall = 80% win shares, started 9-0, 10-0 at home. We beat a Baltimore team at Baltimore that was loaded in the divisional round as an underdog. That is how great that Baltimore team was. We beat Tom and BB in the AFC Title Game. Say what you want about Chicago because they had Rex Grossman but they had the best SP teams and defense in the league and we beat them.

Since the 2002 realign of the divisions which is a 20 season sample size, I think we have had the 2nd best team in the AFC of all-time only behind the 2014 Patriots. If I had to seed 6 teams in the AFC since 2002, it would be:

I did 1 team per franchise and what is funny is, Peyton has 2 teams in this = 2006 and 2015 The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

You can't be serious. You're just gonna ignore the entire season to justify your point. I'm done with you.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pretty much facts if you factor everything in. It would come down to us vs them, the ratings would be all-time best. Peyton vs Brady at NE. I think with Bob healthy we could take them, like we took out Ray, Ed, and McNair in Baltimore. The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

That 2018 year was so fun, man. Andrew's comeback year... started off 1-5... then Andrew TURNS. IT. ON... we rattle off 9 of 10 to finish the regular season!? SMOKED the Cowboys. DONUT. And they were the "hottest team in football" at that time having won like 6 or 7 in a row. Dispatched them. I can't remember exactly who, but I know 2 or 3 of those wins were against the "hottest team in football", all having been on streaks until we put them down and took that crown. Andrew Luck was G** mode during that stretch.

Open up wildcard weekend with the Texans, I'm a little worried... you know how those division rivalries go... I'm thinking it's gonna be close... we receive the ball, first or second pass of the game: TTTYYYYY HILTON DEEEP. EARLY. HIS HOUSE. March down 3 times in a row. Omfg I was hype! Get them outta here! We end up getting beat up by the Chiefs in the divisional but MAN I didn't care! THIS is how Andrew Luck looks after not playing 1.5 years!?

This is maybe only my third favorite season, but really I just wanted to relive and state this: this was the best, eye-test-wise, that I'd EVER seen Andrew Luck look! And we'd seen him look good prior! I mean I was in AWE at times... spinning out of DE sacks RIGHT on time without even looking... frequently. Looked like Wilson 2.0 in the pocket! Hitting that back step and letting it GO immediately. Within that stretch I would literally be able to call OUT the deep TY strikes each time. He and Frank were in such a groove that I'd literally call out to my friends WHEN we were gonna dial it up.. Me: "It's this play right here" *Luck drops back* *step 1* *2* *3* Me: "GOTTEM" *BOMB*. THIS all is what made the retirement sting even more to me... he had just played the best I'd ever seen him... showed me that we haven't even seen him peak... convinced me that we were SB favorites the next year, and then boom.

Thanks for allowing me to relive this.

Archived