Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Nick Cross

AKB

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I love this kid. Thought it was going to be Sam Howell with the trade up, but I love the pick. Thought Cross would go late 2nd/early 3rd, so this is value.

Why would we move up for Howell though?  I see nothing impressive about him at all. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Why would we move up for Howell though?  I see nothing impressive about him at all. 

Because 1.) I believe we had pre-interest in him before the draft. 2.) He fell quite a bit to the end of the 3rd, so the value was there. and 3.) We didn't have a 4th rounder before trading up, so I thought it'd be someone really big, like a QB, to justify trading a future 3rd in the deal to get your guy.

It all added up at that point just watching it. I like Cross a lot pre-draft myself, but I thought that was a Howell trade-up.

7 hours ago, aReggie7 said:

Yeah I thought someone who can play FS was a need for the Colts most haven't discussed much.

I think it's difficult not to have some concerns about Blackmon and injuries. This draft is supposed to be deep at safety. Plus, I think Bradley at DC puts more/different emphasis on the safety position.

I’ve been big on it.  An absolute necessity in Bradley’s D is a stud FS.  Lots of ground to cover in the alleys.

Wasn't considering all the comp picks at the end of rd 3, so i shut it off and went to bed.
 I awakened about 4:30 and all i could think about was how we needed to trade up to early in the 4th to draft Joseph, and that would make for a top notch draft.

I forced my way out of bed at 6, anxious for my coffee and to hear the chatter. Yeehaa! CB was aggressive and knocked one out of the park.
 Yes, they are all Projects, but i am extremely pumped about this draft.

We WILL add another Vet or two to strengthen any perceived weakness.
 WHAT a transition so far this off season! INCREDIBLE!!!   :colts::strong::rock::rawr:

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

179+2023 3d. 

We gained pick 192 in the trade down for Pierce.

In the first 3 rounds, and without reaching,  we found our deep threat WR, In-Line TE, future LT and the single high FS we needed, and still have (edit: 4 picks in the remaining 4 rounds)..159, 192, 216. and 239.  And at least one pick in each round next year.

Pretty good draft so far, IMO.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

In the first 3 rounds, and without reaching,  we found our deep threat WR, In-Line TE, future LT and the single high FS we needed, and still have at least one pick in each of the remaining 3 rounds...159, 192, 216. and 239.

I think 159 is in the 5th so we don't have a 4th round pick... But yes - overall really good maneuvering around the draft by Ballard. I'm happy with what he did and what we got from those picks. Very nice. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

In the first 3 rounds, and without reaching,  we found our deep threat WR, In-Line TE, future LT and the single high FS we needed, and still have at least one pick in each of the remaining 3 rounds...159, 192, 216. and 239.  And at least one pick in each round next year.

They definitely drafted the positions I thought we needed most.  Hope they work out.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

In the first 3 rounds, and without reaching,  we found our deep threat WR, In-Line TE, future LT and the single high FS we needed, and still have at least one pick in each of the remaining 3 rounds...159, 192, 216. and 239.  And at least one pick in each round next year.

We don’t have a 4th

Just now, Nickster said:

They definitely drafted the positions I thought we needed most.  Hope they work out.

The encouraging thing is that each of these players are athletic but had success in college at the positions they are projected to in the pros.  Unlike Benagu and maybe Turay.  No pure athletes like TJ Green.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We don’t have a 4th

Thanks.  I edited my comment to say that we have 4 picks in the remaining 4 rounds.

One thing that Ballard mentioned in his press conference is Nick Cross’ age. The kid is only 20 years old. And already playing at a high level. Ballard thinks he would have been a second round pick next year. I think this player will emerge as a really good safety over the next couple of years while also contributing on STs.

1 minute ago, Colt Overseas said:

One thing that Ballard mentioned in his press conference is Nick Cross’ age. The kid is only 20 years old. And already playing at a high level. Ballard thinks he would have been a second round pick next year. I think this player will emerge as a really good safety over the next couple of years while also contributing on STs.

Yeah I thought that was very interesting.  We might of got a steal. Willis is a FA after the season so it was a smart move.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The encouraging thing is that each of these players are athletic but had success in college at the positions they are projected to in the pros.  Unlike Benagu and maybe Turay.  No pure athletes like TJ Green.

Thanks.  I edited my comment to say that we have 4 picks in the remaining 4 rounds.

Agreed. I saw the term “project” being used by a few around here last night, I don’t think that’s accurate this year. 

I don’t see any true projects. Just prospects that need some fine polishing which is true of any prospects.

Ballard definitely went with freak athletes, but there’s also a common pro to each of them. “Coaches well” “willingness” to learn and adapt. 

makes you wonder some more about how things went last year in that department.

2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Do you have a link to said conference?

He is a missile. Good player. On paper, Ballard went out and got some serious players. Guys with EXPLOSIVENESS. He'll get the chance to grow and learn, and might even contribute right off the bat (given how injuries can sometimes sweep through our secondary)

41 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Agreed. I saw the term “project” being used by a few around here last night, I don’t think that’s accurate this year. 

I don’t see any true projects. Just prospects that need some fine polishing which is true of any prospects.

Ballard definitely went with freak athletes, but there’s also a common pro to each of them. “Coaches well” “willingness” to learn and adapt. 

Sure!

https://www.colts.com/video/2022-draft-chris-ballard-recaps-day-two

41 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s on the app. Probably on Facebook too. Colts.com.

Traits-wise…reminds me somewhat of TJ Green with that athletic profile.

I really wanted Joseph because I think he’s a deep FS, so interested to see what Cross can do from a coverage standpoint.

In watching some of him and reading more, he sounds a lot like the prototypical Gus Bradley SS…ala Kam Chancellor.

Archived