Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Nick Cross


Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

 

In what way?


Athletic profile. I said the same thing. Not meant to be an insult. Green had a tantalizing H/W/S combo. 
 

Big difference between the playing experience at S (and on defense overall) though for each. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Funny how the Ballard haters have vanished so quickly.

I assume that when he drafts well, the hate recedes, and when he improves on his 41 41 record, it will disappear. 

 

Its not like the hate is unconditional....unlike Ballard Love.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:


Athletic profile. I said the same thing. Not meant to be an insult. Green had a tantalizing H/W/S combo. 
 

Big difference between the playing experience at S (and on defense overall) though for each. 

Athletic profile? Yeah, i can get on board with that. Both very fast and both like that violent style, physical similarities.

Everything else is night and day. I think we really did a disservice to Green. That story is an example of how i think the most important aspect of success in this league is where you land and what the expectations are. That regime over drafted the kid and never seemed to level set with him, or bring him along. Also, he clearly was no 2nd round pick, how different would things have turned out if we got him in the 4th or 5th? Anyway, best wishes to him wherever he is, that story is one of the ones that bugs me slightly whenever i remember it. Bad draft pick, failure to develop on the side of team and player, just bad all round.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Didn't Reich twist Ballard's arm into grabbing Wentz?

No.  There is no indication that Ballard held his nose when trading for Wentz.  In the recent presser talking about the Wentz trade to WAS, he indicated that he was the one most fin favor of keeping Wentz, with Irsay out and Frank too.   

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I had it at a B+, close. He kinda reminds me of Bob Sanders. Not saying he will be that great but he could definitely be good.

Cross is here to play Hooker's role, not Bob Sanders'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No.  There is no indication that Ballard held his nose when trading for Wentz.  In the recent presser talking about the Wentz trade to WAS, he indicated that he was the one most fin favor of keeping Wentz, with Irsay out and Frank too.   

Cross is here to play Hooker's role, not Bob Sanders'.

I have seen him play and his highlights. I was mainly talking about some of the brutal hits he has put on other players.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Athletic profile? Yeah, i can get on board with that. Both very fast and both like that violent style, physical similarities.

Everything else is night and day. I think we really did a disservice to Green. That story is an example of how i think the most important aspect of success in this league is where you land and what the expectations are. That regime over drafted the kid and never seemed to level set with him, or bring him along. Also, he clearly was no 2nd round pick, how different would things have turned out if we got him in the 4th or 5th? Anyway, best wishes to him wherever he is, that story is one of the ones that bugs me slightly whenever i remember it. Bad draft pick, failure to develop on the side of team and player, just bad all round.


He was on a reserve/future contract with somebody until late March. So even 6 years later, he’s still somewhat getting looks. 
 

I think part of it was on his limitations on defense (namely IQ and awareness).
 

Even when Ballard got here, he liked what he saw enough to give him a try him at CB…and then admitted he was wrong about that and released him. 

 

Some guys just don’t get it, even with all of the tools. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No.  There is no indication that Ballard held his nose when trading for Wentz.  In the recent presser talking about the Wentz trade to WAS, he indicated that he was the one most fin favor of keeping Wentz, with Irsay out and Frank too.   

Cross is here to play Hooker's role, not Bob Sanders'.

Sorry, but Wentz was Reich's project boy.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I normally don’t do this but I would like all the credit for being the first one on Nick Cross lol

 

 


Seriously though this is an amazing move. He can play FS, SS, and will be an immediate impact on special teams. Athletically he’s more talented than any safety on the roster. He’s great in coverage but he will also come up and pop you and we haven’t had a real “hitter” who can set the tone in some time. Between Willis and Blackmon, someone’s job is in jeopardy because he has a higher ceiling and floor than both. This is the player that Bradley needed. Character is off the charts too.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I normally don’t do this but I would like all the credit for being the first one on Nick Cross lol

 

 


Seriously though this is an amazing move. He can play FS, SS, and will be an immediate impact on special teams. Athletically he’s more talented than any safety on the roster. He’s great in coverage but he will also come up and pop you and we haven’t had a real “hitter” who can set the tone in some time. Between Willis and Blackmon, someone’s job is in jeopardy because he has a higher ceiling and floor than both. This is the player that Bradley needed. Character is off the charts too.

I've never been big on Willis so I'm hoping if it comes to that we go with Blackmon and Cross.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

I've never been big on Willis so I'm hoping if it comes to that we go with Blackmon and Cross.

Willis isnt Bob Sanders but he's not far off from Bethea. He is solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Sorry, but Wentz was Reich's project boy.

Twisted Ballard's arm.  You make it sound like Ballard was skeptical until Frank convinced him.  No.  Everybody on the planet thought that Wentz reuniting with Frank would be good for Wentz career because of previous history...and nobody twisted all of those arms to think that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I normally don’t do this but I would like all the credit for being the first one on Nick Cross lol

 

 


Seriously though this is an amazing move. He can play FS, SS, and will be an immediate impact on special teams. Athletically he’s more talented than any safety on the roster. He’s great in coverage but he will also come up and pop you and we haven’t had a real “hitter” who can set the tone in some time. Between Willis and Blackmon, someone’s job is in jeopardy because he has a higher ceiling and floor than both. This is the player that Bradley needed. Character is off the charts too.

Sorry.  I had you beat by two weeks.  On March 24th, I said this in Chad72' Safties thread:

 

 

A lot of Mocks show Hill gone by pick 42.  However, Nick Cross, Maryland, tested very well.  Maybe Cross at pick 73.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i hope they live up to the hype, but draft picks are a crap shoot, hard to get a day one starter or a game changer by just depending on the draft and bargain bin free agents. ballards method has taken us no where in year 6 of his tenure. we are just an average team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Twisted Ballard's arm.  You make it sound like Ballard was skeptical until Frank convinced him.  No.  Everybody on the planet thought that Wentz reuniting with Frank would be good for Wentz career because of previous history...and nobody twisted all of those arms to think that. 

Reich himself said he “pounding the table for Wentz”. You can go watch the clip yourself if you want. 
 

and Ballard said he had to be reassured about Wentz to go and get him. Also in a presser you can go watch. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Sorry.  I had you beat by two weeks.  On March 24th, I said this in Chad72' Safties thread:

 

 

A lot of Mocks show Hill gone by pick 42.  However, Nick Cross, Maryland, tested very well.  Maybe Cross at pick 73.

 

 


Very well sir. The crown goes to you lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:


Very well sir. The crown goes to you lol.

I'm happy because unlike previous years, I'm doing pretty well in Ballard's picks matching my mocks.  Of course, he's suddenly become a great GM.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I'm happy because unlike previous years, I'm doing pretty well in Ballard's picks matching my mocks.  Of course, he's suddenly become a great GM.

I feel like it’s like that for a lot of people. I think Ballard has a fairly predictable draft pattern because he has those very specific traits and metrics he values.

 

Basically you look for anyone who is Senior Bowl participant who has elite traits and great character and that’s the pick. More specific he likes big receivers who can run block, LBs and DB’s with at least 32” arms, and team captains are a big plus. Once you apply those filters you’re left with maybe 20 or so guys that you feel good about it. Everyone we drafted on day two was someone just about everyone (even Colts media) had pegged for us.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I feel like it’s like that for a lot of people. I think Ballard has a fairly predictable draft pattern because he has those very specific traits and metrics he values.

 

Basically you look for anyone who is Senior Bowl participant who has elite traits and great character and that’s the pick. More specific he likes big receivers who can run block, LBs and DB’s with at least 32” arms, and team captains are a big plus. Once you apply those filters you’re left with maybe 20 or so guys that you feel good about it. Everyone we drafted on day two was someone just about everyone (even Colts media) had pegged for us.

A lot of chatter about Alec Pierce at 53.  But really, if we went Raimann at 53, Pierce at 73 and Woods at 77, it would have fell very much like many people's board.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

A lot of chatter about Alec Pierce at 53.  But really, if we went Raimann at 53, Pierce at 73 and Woods at 77, it would have fell very much like many people's board.

Alec Pierce was the most Chris Ballard pick ever lol. In every Colts beat writers “Best Fits for Colts” he was listed as a perfect fit for what Ballard likes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Projecting Nick Cross. LOVE this pick. Cross has tools that are elite but the problem with him is basically experience. He still reacts slowly to certain reads and i think in ways he is still learning the game. I think he'll be much better in year 2. I wonder what packages he'll see the field on. I'm really not trying to be overtly pro-Ballard but on paper, i cannot find fault with this draft, Ballard has picked some elite athletes and it's on the coaches to buff out the rough edges and get these boys ready to dominate. The weapons are there. We should fear no one.....except the injury bug

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First job for this guy is special teams and he looks like he would be an ace there. Our safeties have tended to get banged up, so he will get playing time there. Hoping he can be strong or free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I think we have found our deep rangy FS. Lets see how quickly he picks up the scheme and language, this kid will have a role on this defense.

He’s only 20 so hopefully he’s still growing (in height).  That could make him that much more dangerous

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it’s worth….    Friday night, Ballard said at the Presser that he asked his personnel team where would Cross be drafted a year from now if he had gone back to school and improved as expected.   The answer was 2nd round. 
 

CB said they view trading next years Colts 3 as a good investment in Cross.   To be clear, the Colts still have the Washington 3rd round pick that can become a 2nd round pick if Wentz plays 70 percent of the snaps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TaylorStillTruckedYou said:

He’s only 20 so hopefully he’s still growing (in height).  That could make him that much more dangerous

Hopefully he cleans up a lot of those missed tackles from last year along with his mediocre coverage grade.  Those were two of the biggest issues I have with Cross but the upside is definitely worth the draft selection.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 9:09 AM, King Colt said:

Didn't Reich twist Ballard's arm into grabbing Wentz?

Well if Reich as u say twisted his arm and Ballard concedes, it is still on  Ballard. Thats his his job as th GM. The  buck stops with him in terms  player decisions. If Ballard was to telephone  Reich at half time and run the ball ans Reich conceded and they lost who would u blame? Reich cause  he is the coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 11:59 AM, King Colt said:

Sorry, but Wentz was Reich's project boy.

Because you were in the room when those discussions were had right?  I have no doubt Reich wanted Wentz but I also don’t think if Ballard was completely against it that Wentz would have been here.  I believe Ballard was on board with the move too.  Maybe not to the level of Reich but I don’t think he was forced to do it either.  It’s fine to have an opinion on this but just like I don’t know exactly what happened I can just say what I think happened you don’t know either you can just give your opinion not state it like it’s unquestionable fact because it’s not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 10:06 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I normally don’t do this but I would like all the credit for being the first one on Nick Cross lol

 

 


Seriously though this is an amazing move. He can play FS, SS, and will be an immediate impact on special teams. Athletically he’s more talented than any safety on the roster. He’s great in coverage but he will also come up and pop you and we haven’t had a real “hitter” who can set the tone in some time. Between Willis and Blackmon, someone’s job is in jeopardy because he has a higher ceiling and floor than both. This is the player that Bradley needed. Character is off the charts too.

When u talk about straight line speed, yes he is the most talented. He does have weaknesses. He ran the fastest 40 for a safety and yet he wasn't drafted till the 3rd round . He had holes in his game but we just want to look at the punishing hits and straight-line speed. He lacks lateral moves, which is concerning if he has has to turn his hips. I do hope he works out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


For what it’s worth… 

 

Some here think Cross is a Free Safety. 
 

Some here think Cross is a Strong Safety. 
 

Guess what?   From everything I’ve read and heard, you’re both right.  Cross is BOTH.   It’s among the many qualities the Colts love about him.  He can play either spot.  Not just game to game, but even play to play, Cross can play both.    
 

There’s lots to like about him including that he won’t be 21 for a few more months.   Cross is young and the Colts think he’s only going to get better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because you were in the room when those discussions were had right?  I have no doubt Reich wanted Wentz but I also don’t think if Ballard was completely against it that Wentz would have been here.  I believe Ballard was on board with the move too.  Maybe not to the level of Reich but I don’t think he was forced to do it either.  It’s fine to have an opinion on this but just like I don’t know exactly what happened I can just say what I think happened you don’t know either you can just give your opinion not state it like it’s unquestionable fact because it’s not.

I do think that Wentz made some positive strides as his interceptions were way down from the last 2 years. A big improvement. It seems like the biggest issue was him not willing to take the check down. Now Wentz may have changed since 2017. Maybe he wasn't the same Wentz that Reich knew. Reich thought he was getting a super talented player that he could mold back to the 2017 version. Nothing wrong with that mode of thinking. I think Reich was stunned that this qb that he went to the wall for just would not take the easy play. It was right there in front of him but he refused. That had to shake Reich to his foundation watching the tape after a game seeing all the missed opportunities.  What do I think happened? I think Wentz took so much critiscsm the last 2 years in Philly. They won a super bowl with him on the bench.  I also think the beginning of the season fid him no favors as he was getting hit a lot and went back to his bad habits. In the end though, I think Wentz just wanted to show the world that he was still a great qb and that did involve 5 year passes to the backs.  I always wondered why he struggled more as the running game got going. He probably felt now is my time to shine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When u talk about straight line speed, yes he is the most talented. He does have weaknesses. He ran the fastest 40 for a safety and yet he wasn't drafted till the 3rd round . He had holes in his game but we just want to look at the punishing hits and straight-line speed. He lacks lateral moves, which is concerning if he has has to turn his hips. I do hope he works out.

Actually, his lateral agility is one of his strengths. He’s really freaky going sideline to sideline. Watch his play against Penn State. He’s more than just an athletic safety.

 

The holes in his game were reading certain types of plays. But he’s only 20 and that is easily coachable as he gets experience. He just needs time in the film room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love this pick

 

The guy has the speed to be the much MUCH needed back end player

 

He hopefully develops and fills the hole of the much needed play making safety that hasnt been on our roster

 

Hopefully.... the new "Eraser" 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Because you were in the room when those discussions were had right?  I have no doubt Reich wanted Wentz but I also don’t think if Ballard was completely against it that Wentz would have been here.  I believe Ballard was on board with the move too.  Maybe not to the level of Reich but I don’t think he was forced to do it either.  It’s fine to have an opinion on this but just like I don’t know exactly what happened I can just say what I think happened you don’t know either you can just give your opinion not state it like it’s unquestionable fact because it’s not.

You guessed right I WAS in the room....or I read and watched what the media said was going on in the room and Reich's close friend Boomer Esiason addressed the move several times. How do you know what Ballard thinks? Were you in the room reading his mind? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, King Colt said:

You guessed right I WAS in the room....or I read and watched what the media said was going on in the room and Reich's close friend Boomer Esiason addressed the move several times. How do you know what Ballard thinks? Were you in the room reading his mind? 

I actually agree with you on this. Wentz was here mainly because of Reich. Ballard and Irsay let it happen for 2 reasons, 1. he was the best option at that time going into last year, 2. Reich had coached him before and the 2 were close. Irsay is why Matt Ryan is here and I don't have to be in the room to figure that out lmao . Irsay was so perplexed after we pee'd away a season with 7 pro-bowlers on it, he knew he had to get a QB that was a great leader and has won many big games. Taylor roughly has 4 great years going by law averages so Irsay knows we need to win now. Regarding the draft, I think Ballard made those decisions but IMO Ryan and Gilmore being here is more because of Irsay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...