Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay on the season and changes

Restinpeacesweetchloe

30 minutes ago, Nickster said:

We do not have EDGE talent anywhere on this roster.  ON D or O.  It would be very easy to gameplan for our current personnel. IMO.  Just clog the middle.

IOW.  Align the D to stop JT, take away Pitt, and make the Colts beat you with Pascal on the outside and MAC on sail routes.  LOL.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Here is Jake Querry talking about how it was a mistake not moving up after the Jacoby failure.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kevin-query-podcast/id1213953865?i=1000547568523

I will have to give that a listen. The situation was almost too perfect...have a rookie QB sit and learn from Phillip Rivers for a year or two. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Exactly.  That's what JT was at Wisconsin.  Its what all RBs from WI do, because that's what WI does.   When we drafted him, its because that's what we do.  We did the same kind of running with Mack

There have been critics about the play calling, the lack of edge runs.  True, but RBs who are supposed to be very good RBs also bounce runs outside on their own when they see a clogged middle.  JT has not done that, IIRC.  He hardly tries to improvise to the outside, and looks like a JAG RB when he does.

Nope.  Can't center the Offense around that kind of RB.  Its a passing league, and we need a passing based offense.

Its great when JT can get to the second level and use his speed.  Its a big threat. But shut that down and the lack of improv abilities (or experience) stifles the run game.  

There is one thing that I think we could do that might maximize JT's strengths in quick measure.  Get that back up dude from Balt to QB for us.  RPO with a real threat of  a QB hitting the edge.  Teams would have to honor JT up the gut and if the Ends crashed some QB that could get to the edge could really hurt them.  

I don't see any evidence that CW is going to suddenly learn how to hit the quick checkdowns and exploit the flats which are another thing that should be open in our O or hit our RBs in stride in the short passing game.
I was clamoring that people would miss Rivers, and I think he would have been excellent this year after the JT improvement hitting guys in the flats.  

We only threaten one zone.  No matter how could or fast the RB is, this isn't going to get it done week in week out. 

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Ah dang. I like Dodds a lot, bet he’s their hire.

Perfect scenario. Upon his arrival, he calls in some favors in SEA and gets the (last year) rumored Wilson to CHI deal done. Then he turns around and trades Fields to the Colts for that 2nd round pick and whatever player he really likes that isn't Q, DeFo, Leonard, Pitt or Taylor. 

So like others I tend to agree that Carson will be the starter next season.

However, just speculating if he's not (because that's what we do on message boards) here is what I would recommend.

You would have to find a serviceable UFA that is cheap, since Colts don't have a lot of cap space and really no picks to trade.  All remaining picks have to fill holes

Some cheap good UFA's that come to mind:

• Trubisky - This is his last year with buffalo and he could be available.  I saw him play in pre-season and he was dominant.
  • Mariotta - very intriguing.  UFA and he could be cheap.  Has the mobility and could be successful in Franks short passing offense
  • Fitzpatrick - I think he could be very good after he recovers from injury.

Of course my favorite RIvers, but I tend to think he stays retired no matter how many times Frank calls him.

All of these are bridge QB's until the next QB you draft.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

There is one thing that I think we could do that might maximize JT's strengths in quick measure.  Get that back up dude from Balt to QB for us.  RPO with a real threat of  a QB hitting the edge.  Teams would have to honor JT up the gut and if the Ends crashed some QB that could get to the edge could really hurt them.  

I don't see any evidence that CW is going to suddenly learn how to hit the quick checkdowns and exploit the flats which are another thing that should be open in our O or hit our RBs in stride in the short passing game.
I was clamoring that people would miss Rivers, and I think he would have been excellent this year after the JT improvement hitting guys in the flats.  

We only threaten one zone.  No matter how could or fast the RB is, this isn't going to get it done week in week out. 

It's strange...but in the past couple of years...I have somewhat gravitated to wanting a running QB. It doesn't have to be a guy like Lamar, but somebody that can give you 500-600 yards on the ground per year. The way the OL run blocks, I think it would open up so many possibilities, especially in the passing game. 

8 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Oh Boy!

A wise man once said, 'maybe it's time to take a break'.

I think it was a wise woman. haha

Gramz out......

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Thursday 

Well alright then.

Looking forward to it 

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It's strange...but in the past couple of years...I have somewhat gravitated to wanting a running QB. It doesn't have to be a guy like Lamar, but somebody that can give you 500-600 yards on the ground per year. The way the OL run blocks, I think it would open up so many possibilities, especially in the passing game. 

I still haven't seen it work for anyone that is a true contender yet, BUT I do think JT is more deadly than anyone I've seen before once he is at the 2nd or 3rd level.  He's unique there IMO. I can't believe how fast the dude is. 

I just think our roster is kind of a mess, and on O, the way we are currently constructed, you might be able to get someone that can run a good option, throw a decent flat pass, and really force Ds to cover multiple zones.  Then if you could find a TE ala Ertz that can stretch the deep middle, you could have something fairly unique and diffiucult to defend.   It would also minimize the lack of a pass protecting LT. 

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

So like others I tend to agree that Carson will be the starter next season.

However, just speculating if he's not (because that's what we do on message boards) here is what I would recommend.

You would have to find a serviceable UFA that is cheap, since Colts don't have a lot of cap space and really no picks to trade.  All remaining picks have to fill holes

Some cheap good UFA's that come to mind:

• Trubisky - This is his last year with buffalo and he could be available.  I saw him play in pre-season and he was dominant.
  • Mariotta - very intriguing.  UFA and he could be cheap.  Has the mobility and could be successful in Franks short passing offense
  • Fitzpatrick - I think he could be very good after he recovers from injury.

Of course my favorite RIvers, but I tend to think he stays retired no matter how many times Frank calls him.

All of these are bridge QB's until the next QB you draft.

Mariotta  was making 3.5 M with the Raiders this year and played very well when needed.  I would love him as a backup in case Wentz doesn’t make a jump or regresses or heaven forbid gets injured.  Sort of Tannehill like.

15 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I think it was a wise woman. haha

Gramz out......

You know... the thought crossed my mind to change it to 'person', but reconsidered thinking, no that's not the saying, I'm not playing this game. I'll take the joke when it comes. So, I was waiting for you. Not by name, but still.    :)

Touche

17 minutes ago, buccolts said:

You know... the thought crossed my mind to change it to 'person', but reconsidered thinking, no that's not the saying, I'm not playing this game. I'll take the joke when it comes. So, I was waiting for you. Not by name, but still.    :)

Touche

You knew I wouldn't disappoint haha:hat:

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I still haven't seen it work for anyone that is a true contender yet, BUT I do think JT is more deadly than anyone I've seen before once he is at the 2nd or 3rd level.  He's unique there IMO. I can't believe how fast the dude is. 

I just think our roster is kind of a mess, and on O, the way we are currently constructed, you might be able to get someone that can run a good option, throw a decent flat pass, and really force Ds to cover multiple zones.  Then if you could find a TE ala Ertz that can stretch the deep middle, you could have something fairly unique and diffiucult to defend.   It would also minimize the lack of a pass protecting LT. 

I would say it is working just fine for BUF. And it definitely worked great in SEA as well, at least early on.

I should have been more specific and said "a QB who can be a true threat in the running game." 

I think we see how it plays out for a few teams over the next couple of seasons.  

16 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Not sure where this info is coming from but some in here have mentioned Marcus Marriota. This might actual be the best alternative. Wentz will either wilt or step up when he has competition.

Good, we need an alternative if Wentz is at his ceiling.

21 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I would say it is working just fine for BUF. And it definitely worked great in SEA as well, at least early on.

I should have been more specific and said "a QB who can be a true threat in the running game." 

I think we see how it plays out for a few teams over the next couple of seasons.  

Yeah I was thinking more of a zone read first type of guy.  It has gone in and out of prominence in the last several years.  Teams often just hit the QB with the unblocked guy now and let the rest of the players deal with RB.  That's what I think could be effective.  Teams would not want to have the end or OLB take the QB every time with JTs threat in the middle. 

I think of Wilson and Allen as prolific passers who can also run I guess.  I'm talking about a more L. Jackson type of model simply because there aren't many guys that can do what Wilson and Allen do. 

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah I was thinking more of a zone read first type of guy.  It has gone in and out of prominence in the last several years.  Teams often just hit the QB with the unblocked guy now and let the rest of the players deal with RB.  That's what I think could be effective.  Teams would not want to have the end or OLB take the QB every time with JTs threat in the middle. 

I think of Wilson and Allen as prolific passers who can also run I guess.  I'm talking about a more L. Jackson type of model simply because there aren't many guys that can do what Wilson and Allen do. 

For sure. From a prospect standpoint, I really like both Willis and Corral, as both passers and threats to run. Would be fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

For sure. From a prospect standpoint, I really like both Willis and Corral, as both passers and threats to run. Would be fun to watch.

I rarely watch CFB, but it might be worth a try.  Are those guys projected to be high picks?  

39 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Not sure where this info is coming from but some in here have mentioned Marcus Marriota. This might actual be the best alternative. Wentz will either wilt or step up when he has competition.

So we traded for frank’s favorite player at both of their vehement request because his favorite player’s old team brought in another guy that threatened his spot and he crumbled under those circumstances so we’re… bringing in another guy… to compete for his spot?

I’m not saying it’s the wrong move by any stretch, but the writing on the wall is getting clearer. 

Wentz has one last chance to exorcise those Philly demons. 

7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Why would Rodgers or Wilson want to play with this WR/TE group?

Go from DK and Lockett to Pittman and Pascal.   LOL.

Surely Pascal won't want to come back here. There are too many good QB's out there to play for.

People here can dream about Wentz changing his feathers, but just wait and see what good receiver Wants to come here.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

These two plays were baffling even at the time. I mean just shocking, especially that second clip. There was absolutely no reason to be that far back. 

And I’ve defended Flus for the most part.

Jags have no speed at WR. It’s dumb to play them in a soft zone like that. I don’t know if that came after rock went out or not.

23 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Eberflus really needs to go.

This is why I don’t like his defense.  I watched Sunday where Lawrence started 12 for 12 because the Colts defense is built to give up completions and then make a tackle and make them drive a field and capitalize on a mistake.  Then I watched the Jags contest catches and saw Wentz struggle to the point it got in his head and was no longer trusting what he was seeing.

I’ve seen enough of give up passes hope for a mistake and I saw the Colts let QB after QB get in rhythm vs them and an inability to get off the field on third and whatever distance.  I’d like to see something more aggressive that doesn’t depend on the other team making a mistake.  I’d like to see some attacking to force a mistake.

I always prefer attacking rather you are on offense or defense more than being conservative as a philosophy (granted there are times where being conservative makes sense in games and I have no problem with it there.)

28 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Eberflus really needs to go.

Listen I don't have a big opinion of Eburflus either way because he's not gotten much to work with IMO.  but you are looking at 2 completely different calls with backup replacement level CBs.   

Basic Cover 2 in the first still you are trying to cover underneath and come up and tackle.  Hoping your DLine with 2 1st rounders and a 100 millino dollar DT gets pressure and makes the Rookie make a quick decision.  I do hate the depths of the Safteies here though.  Not even in the screen.  I'd like to see two man here.  That actually might be the call. 

In the 2nd still they sent 6 people man.  There are only 5 in coverage and you have man coverage on the right side with a backup CB and backup S.  and you have to account for the RB in coverage with ODum.  Those blitzers have to get there and if the the rookie QB hits the hot read, then you are probably going to give up the completion. 

If you get pressure on either one of these plays then you don't see this on twitter.

WE DON'T GET PRESSURE.  Nothing works when you have a guy eating a sandwich in the pocket.  That is our 1A, 1B and 1C problem IMO.  Bad secondary + no pressure .

IS the suggestion to press and just have these DBs chase guys all over the field until Lawrence is done eating his sandwich. I'm pretty sure no one would like the results of that play.  

11 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

He thought we would get to Lawrence with the 6 man rush, but when you literally don’t cover the guys 10 yards off the line, that’s an easy throw to make.

The only players who should be able to take this pass are the WR at the bottom of the screen on the Quick Slant or the RB on a hot flare.  If you have time to get 10 yds down the field on 6 man blitz, then well you are screwed. 

I really don't like Wentz right now, but I think that we will give him another year...

But OC needs to change, as well as our stupid mantra of not spending real money in free agency...

We needed a DE, TE, WR and probably CB last offseason. Everybody knew that, there were options on FA and we just hoped that a bunch of nobody's at TE/WR and two rookies at DE would solve the problem..

We even got lucky that Rock and Rodgers played their * off at CB, otherwise would be much worse.

Can we just find a way to spend money on good players this time? That Change would help this team a lot..

If we had Autry on those 2 plays up there the outcome would probably be diferent, just stupid move.

Colts really have to step up this offseason. Looks like Jags are going to get another pass rusher with that number one pick. If Lawerence gets a couple weapons that team has a lot of nice pieces going forward. Also look how good Mills is playing in Houston. They have something in that kid.  They offload Watson they are going to get some good draft picks in the future. The division is only going to get harder.

Archived