Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay on the season and changes

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Jmv made a good point about nelson. The only way you can afford to pay a guard that much is if you have a LT or QB on a rookie contract. The only way to solve this is to trade Kelly in my opinion.

or move Nelson to LT

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

The only players who should be able to take this pass are the WR at the bottom of the screen on the Quick Slant or the RB on a hot flare.  If you have time to get 10 yds down the field on 6 man blitz, then well you are screwed. 

Yeah, agreed. I think it’s an indictment of the ability of those 6 rushers as well. 

We’ve definitely had problems with our LB getting to the QB/finishing in those situations. Would probably have more faith in Moore to get there off the edge to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Jmv made a good point about nelson. The only way you can afford to pay a guard that much is if you have a LT or QB on a rookie contract. The only way to solve this is to trade Kelly in my opinion.

U have to try and move Nelson to LT and keep Reed at guard

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Listen I don't have a big opinion of Eburflus either way because he's not gotten much to work with IMO.  but you are looking at 2 completely different calls with backup replacement level CBs.   

Basic Cover 2 in the first still you are trying to cover underneath and come up and tackle.  Hoping your DLine with 2 1st rounders and a 100 millino dollar DT gets pressure and makes the Rookie make a quick decision.  I do hate the depths of the Safteies here though.  Not even in the screen.  I'd like to see two man here.  That actually might be the call. 

In the 2nd still they sent 6 people man.  There are only 5 in coverage and you have man coverage on the right side with a backup CB and backup S.  and you have to account for the RB in coverage with ODum.  Those blitzers have to get there and if the the rookie QB hits the hot read, then you are probably going to give up the completion. 

If you get pressure on either one of these plays then you don't see this on twitter.

WE DON'T GET PRESSURE.  Nothing works when you have a guy eating a sandwich in the pocket.  That is our 1A, 1B and 1C problem IMO.  Bad secondary + no pressure .

IS the suggestion to press and just have these DBs chase guys all over the field until Lawrence is done eating his sandwich. I'm pretty sure no one would like the results of that play.  

Word.

I'm not nearly as upset at the defensive play call as I was reading the game day thread.

In the first pic, the DBs are 2 to 6 yards in front of the Line To Gain.  That's not a problem.  They are supposed to attack by running forwards and contest the catch if its thrown 5 to 7 yards past the LOS.  No point in pressing and trailing the receiver by half a step.  You don't need to contest a 4 yard catch, because its on the Jax side of the field and they are not going for it on 4th down.  If the DB engages the receiver after 5 yards than its more of a Man situation and he's trailing and hopefully closing to contest the catch.

RYS is good at this type of coverage.  What he is not good at....and our bottom rung DBs in general...is Man coverage where you press more at the LOS and turn and run...trailing by half a step....but then have the speed to recover and close the gap and contest the catch by trailing the receiver.   Neither RYS or any DB really has the speed to play aggressive Man coverage, IMO.  Or the lateral agility...loose hips..... to turn and run without losing more than half a step.

Conversion of that 3rd and 12 is because of bad execution on the part of the DBs and pass rushers.  Not the play call or set up.

In the second pic, the DBs are already only 2 yards in front of the Line To Gain and appear to be backpedaling, so I don't know what they think they are going to do there.  Either its poor execution, poor communication by Flus, or just a bad play call.  Methinks they were not supposed to be backpedaling so vigorously that close to the first down line.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Nelson doesn’t want to play LT.

Don’t forget he’s a lineman.  Not a diva WR or RB.  A lot has changed since last year including his injuries.  If he wants a big contract he needs to move over.  If they pay him all of that money to play guard then someone needs their head examined.  They will not trade Kelly after his tragedy.  They will hope he can return and bounce back next season.  He has enough money to retire.  He might do that.  I would bet everything will be on the table for he and his wife this off-season.

21 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Nelson doesn’t want to play LT.

He might not want too but if told he needs too for the team he probably would.  Will the Colts make that move?  We shall see they really like him and Kelly in the middle of the line and a large part of their run game is designed around it.

Rick Venturi is having a great convo with JMV. Talking about how Ballard has done a really good job with depth guys. Said he has failed at the game changing skill positions. I can’t agree more. Talking about how the team is built wrong . He said look how Bengals passed up in a lineman for Chase.

Also mentioned Leonard goes out speed goes on you don’t notice a difference. When Nelson goes out Reed comes in and you don’t notice a difference. All of this is true.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Rick Venturi is having a great convo with JMV. Talking about how Ballard has done a really good job with depth guys. Said he has failed at the game changing skill positions. I can’t agree more. Talking about how the team is built kong. He said look how Bengals passed up in a lineman for Chase.

Also mentioned Leonard goes out speed goes on you don’t notice a difference. When Nelson goes out Reed comes in and you don’t notice a difference. All of this is true.

Again Rick Venturi won three games in his career as a head coach.  I’d be careful swearing by him.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t care how many games he won. He is right. We have all been saying this exact thing. 

Sorta.  I agree they need better weapons.  I disagree with him about Leonard and Speed.  You saw it for one game when the cardinals had zero tape on him.  I think it’s more likely they got away with it for one game.  Also, I don’t think Speed causes nearly the turnovers Leonard does which is game changing at times.  

Reed and Nelson there is more too but as teams got more tape on Reed and figured out how to attack him the less effective he was.  Remember they tried to replace Glow with Reed by rotating them at right guard and almost immediately it became clear the line was better with Glow in there than Reed.  I also think Nelson had very down this year due to injuries.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Sorta.  I agree they need better weapons.  I disagree with him about Leonard and Speed.  You saw it for one game when the cardinals had zero tape on him.  I think it’s more likely they got away with it for one game.  Also, I don’t think Speed causes nearly the turnovers Leonard does which is game changing at times.  

Reed and Nelson there is more too but as teams got more tape on Reed and figured out how to attack him the less effective he was.  Remember they tried to replace Glow with Reed by rotating them at right guard and almost immediately it became clear the line was better with Glow in there than Reed.  I also think Nelson had very down this year due to injuries.  

I dont think there is any question Leonard is better then speed. But is general point is right. Just look how KC and Bengals are constructed.  The spots on your roster that should be paid are LT, DE, QB, CB. You can probably get away with WR on rookie deals because colleges are developing WR really well and a lot of them come into the league ready to play.

44 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Again Rick Venturi won three games in his career as a head coach.  I’d be careful swearing by him.

Hmmmm haven't I  been saying that for  over the last 2 years but what do I know? U listening Colts fans but I guess Rick doesn't know anything because of  hia win loss record. He  still knows football.

Couple things that now we can look back are now making sense that didn’t make sense at the time.

1. Reich going more run centric because he didn’t trust Wentz and the passing protection.

2. Reich has said several times in the last few weeks Wentz needed to be the reason we win games. Was he seeing the struggles and putting pressure on him to step up. These comments now make sense.

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s not getting lucky.  That’s draft picks developing which is how it’s supposed to work.

Yes, we all knew Rock would be our best corner 2021, stop.

Develop just like banogu, turay, quincy Wilson, patmon, can go on and on.

Was a gamble, a good one, but a gamble.

10 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

It doesn’t matter what we know it matters what Ballard and the Colts know.  They had faith in him and were rewarded for it.  If people want to rip him for having faith in Turay and Banogu (and that’s fair) you have to give him credit when he gets it right too and not just dismiss it as luck because it doesn’t support the Ballard makes big mistakes all the time narrative.

11 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

To be fair, 

Turay is an injury fail, if anything, not a talent fail. He's been a good PRS when healthy. 5+ sacks and 5 TFLs in a very limited roll this year. He has about the same sack/TFL stats as our #1 DE (AQM), but only has about 25% of the snaps that AQM has.

Patmon hasn't really been given an opportunity to shine. Strachan either. It took Wentz asking Reich for a route change, that ended up a TD. We have a long history of staying conservative with WR use. It's why Pascal has almost the same snaps/game as Pittman, and only about half the targets.... Our passing scheme is very soggy.

I'll give you that Banogu and Wilson were whiffs though. 

15 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It doesn’t matter what we know it matters what Ballard and the Colts know.  They had faith in him and were rewarded for it.  If people want to rip him for having faith in Turay and Banogu (and that’s fair) you have to give him credit when he gets it right too and not just dismiss it as luck because it doesn’t support the Ballard makes big mistakes all the time narrative.

Just a note on Turay. He only played 22% of snaps for what ever reason and still had 6 sacks I believe. He stayed healthy after a rough start to the season. I would probably bring him back for a year if we change dline coaches. Maybe even if we don’t.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

U want to get me excited about next year and to believe that these players r going to bring it? Every  pro bowler from this team should decline and let another player take their place. To see them on the side line laughing and joking would make me want to throw up.

49 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Just a note on Turay. He only played 22% of snaps for what ever reason and still had 6 sacks I believe. He stayed healthy after a rough start to the season. I would probably bring him back for a year if we change dline coaches. Maybe even if we don’t.

Turay doesn't play because of lacks against the run and containing. AQM is good at that which is why he plays more. Same reason on the other side why guys like Pascal were playing over guys like Patmon; great run blockers. 

These things have value, but have to wonder sometimes if our staff values certain things over pure talent too much sometimes.

Just now, NorthernColt said:

Turay doesn't play because of lacks against the run and containing. AQM is good at that which is why he plays more. Same reason on the other side why guys like Pascal were playing over guys like Patmon; great run blockers. 

These things have value, but have to wonder sometimes if our staff values certain things over pure talent too much sometimes.

It’s a passing league. He needs to play more.

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s a passing league. He needs to play more.

Yup, I understand the thinking from their end, but when Turay is literally giving you the same pass rush production as your top guys in literally like 1/3 or a 1/4 of the PT, then you have to play him more, no excuse.

24 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Yup, I understand the thinking from their end, but when Turay is literally giving you the same pass rush production as your top guys in literally like 1/3 or a 1/4 of the PT, then you have to play him more, no excuse.

He is fast enough to play the run fine. I don’t get it.  The entire playing time with the DE and Baker is wild to me. Then the mystery  of Ben not even getting a chance. Is wild. I mean the pass rush can’t get worse. Should of given him a chance. I think he had 3 pressures against AZ when Turay was out. I do not like how Eberflus or the dline coach has handled the dline.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:15 PM, Wentzszn said:

Where  does Jason think the 40million for these guys is going to come from lmao. So irresponsible to put this out there.

Forget the cost. We need a guy like that. Otherwise Taylor will be wasted completely. If the Chiefs can pay $50M for Mahomes we can find a way to pay $40 for one of them. We'll just have to move some players around. Our problem is we're paying too much money to players that aren't playing important positions. That's gotta change.

I mean we're paying $28M for Wentz. What's $12M more for an actual star QB. Paying $5M for an RB2 is ridiculous. Grover is nice but the $10M for him should be used on an edge instead or a corner.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:31 PM, Wentzszn said:

I don’t want either one. If Wentz isn’t it I want to draft. I am tired. Rodgers could play one  year and be done. Then where are you at. No where.

Colts have around 60 million and have 30 roster spots to fill.

I think Rodgers has about 3 elite seasons left in him. That's better than nothing. Personally I'd rather have Wilson tho because of the age factor. Watson the most, but he's the most unlikely option. 

This draft is horrible for QBs, and honestly the 2023 draft isn't much better, it would have to be CJ Stroud. Bryce Young is an ok 2nd option. Just hate how thin he is on top of being 5'11

Archived