Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay on the season and changes

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Why would you trade 2  firsts for a 38 yearold QB that might retire after a year. That’s not smart business.

1st round players are never guaranteed superstars. We need a QB, and these next 2 drafts are poor as far as QB prospects go.

Rodgers gives us a guaranteed superstar at QB, and makes us an automatic superbowl contender for 2 - 3yrs. The odds of him retiring after 1 year are very slim when he's still playing at an MVP level. Besides that, I'm sure there would be dialogue. Ballard would make sure from Rodgers end that he's not gonna retire after 1 year if he's gonna trade so much for him. If Rodgers can't give him a guarantee, then the trade wouldn't happen.

11 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Future technical debt - kinda like a credit card for talent.

Its the price you pay for winning and competing for superbowls. We need a QB badly, and I think you'll find that these next 2 drafts aren't the best years to be drafting a QB.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Stephen Holder says although colts would take a 15 million dead cap they would actually gain 13 million by cutting Carson. But like he said if you do that then who do you get. Have to pay someone else.

Someone who can read defenses better than Wentz, a veteran of course.
 This tape showed we already have receivers that can run the necessary routes to spread out a D and get open. 
 You do our best to fix the LT spot, yes add a quick speedy receiver, a TE that is faster than Doyle and Moe to better attack the seam. 
 They should take a hard look into Trubisky's head i would think. 
But that is Their job. lol 

9 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Lol true but would u trade a few bad years down the road for a Super Bowl next year? I would for sure 

Yes, but that's not what you're doing. You're trading a few bad years for an improved shot at the Super Bowl, not a guaranteed Super Bowl.

Of course, the two bad years aren't guaranteed either. 

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

This tape showed we already have receivers that can run the necessary routes to spread out a D and get open. 
 You do our best to fix the LT spot, yes add a quick speedy receiver, a TE that is faster than Doyle and Moe to better attack the seam. 

You had me until Trubisky

8 minutes ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Lol true but would u trade a few bad years down the road for a Super Bowl next year? I would for sure 

If (big if) you could guarantee you would win a SB, that would be one thing. If you don't win a SB, you're still left with the technical debt, then what do you do? There's a statistical problem called Gambler's Ruin. Play close attention to the probabilistic negative expected values inherent in the game.

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

1st round players are never guaranteed superstars. We need a QB, and these next 2 drafts are poor as far as QB prospects go.

Rodgers gives us a guaranteed superstar at QB, and makes us an automatic superbowl contender for 2 - 3yrs. The odds of him retiring after 1 year are very slim when he's still playing at an MVP level. Besides that, I'm sure there would be dialogue. Ballard would make sure from Rodgers end that he's not gonna retire after 1 year if he's gonna trade so much for him. If Rodgers can't give him a guarantee, then the trade wouldn't happen.

Your not teasing to future first for a 38 year old QB. Imagine him retiring after a year and not having your first rounder for two years to draft a QB. Ballard would be fired. 

15 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

5 years in and what has Ballard done.....please I am listening???

Had more pro bowlers then any other team this year, more all pro's then we have had since Polian. A 2nd year WR who broke 1k yards. The top running back in the NFL. The greatest LG in the game, traded for a top 5 DT, had a team lead the league in takeaways, we've had probably the best offensvie line the colts have ever had (last year) Have one of the leagues best Lber's. There's more talent on this team then we have had since probably 09. So dont be so dramatic..... The Chargers, who you probably believe are a better team, are in the same boat as us. His biggest issue was listening to his coach and bringing in a QB that i dont think he truly wanted.

4 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Yes, but that's not what you're doing. You're trading a few bad years for an improved shot at the Super Bowl, not a guaranteed Super Bowl.

A drastically improved shot. Rodgers with Taylor & Pittman (who knows how good he'll progress to next season) would be a nasty big 3. Go after a guy like Michael Thomas and draft a TE with our 2nd rounder. I would bet they would win atleast 1. 

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Your not teasing to future first for a 38 year old QB. Imagine him retiring after a year and not having your first rounder for two years to draft a QB. Ballard would be fired. 

Did you even read what I said at the bottom?

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Would you take a SB win and then being mediocre again for 2 years when he retires, I would. If we had Rodgers we would dominate, anyone that thinks other wise is mindboggling. Rodgers with a RB like Taylor would be so easy. 

8 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Whelp, if we keep playing like this, we could tank in a couple years to draft Arch Manning!:dunno:

I wouldn't be upset about that at all. Seeing Manning on the back of a Colts jersey at QB again would be a dream. Too bad he won't be in the draft until 2026 :(

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Did you even read what I said at the bottom?

Rodgers hasn’t made a SB with GB in a long time.  What makes you think he would win one here. 

We could have around 60 million cap if we cut Wentz with only 28 players under contract. We don’t have cap space or the draft capital. If Rodgers was 8 years younger maybe.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Would you take a SB win and then being mediocre again for 2 years when he retires, I would. If we had Rodgers we would dominate, anyone that thinks other wise is mindboggling. Rodgers with a RB like Taylor would be so easy. 

There is no guarantee of that. We don’t even have the weapons GB has.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Rodgers hasn’t made a SB with GB in a long time.  What makes you think he would win one here. 

We could have around 60 million cap if we cut Wentz with only 28 players under contract. We don’t have cap space or the draft capital. If Rodgers was 8 years younger maybe.

There is no guarantee of that. We don’t even have the weapons GB has.

They have Adams, we have a better O.Line and the best RB in the league.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

For 1 thing, we have a dome. It would be a lot easier playing here in the playoffs than it would in GB. 2nd, we have a defense. That's always been one of the biggest reasons for them choking. 3rd, we have Taylor. We could also add to the offense, go after another WR in FA and draft a TE with our 2nd. Assuming we wouldn't have to trade it away.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They have Adams, we have a better O.Line and the best RB in the league.

That  oline of ours sure looked like crap. 

When Tampa went and got brady that was a entire different situation. That team was already loaded with weapons. It was ready to win.

If Wentz isn’t the QB it’s time to draft the future and take the position serious instead of all these bandaids. Your just asking for trouble signing a guy that might only play one year. Then your starting with another QB again the following year. I am sure Reich is getting tired of it too. After the failure of Jacoby Ballard had his chances to fix it and he failed to address it in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

For 1 thing, we have a dome. It would be a lot easier playing here in the playoffs than it would in GB. 2nd, we have a defense. That's always been one of the biggest reasons for them choking. 3rd, we have Taylor. We could also add to the offense, go after another WR in FA and draft a TE with our 2nd. Assuming we wouldn't have to trade it away.

Rodgers is already talking retirement.  The hamster wheel at QB needs to stop. 

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This team is probably going to have to trade or cut some guys to beable to make any big changes. They just don’t have the cap room for go beyond a couple big moves. They only have 28 players under contract next season.

Or actually fix the problems with most of those we have. I think this is the most probable successful solution, but it's not guaranteed. First, you have to correctly identify the problem. Second, you need to find the right solution to the problem.OK, now what are the odds that happens?

Or, what are the odds you find the next Tom Brady in the draft (in the second or third round)?

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Why don't you just come out with it already and say you're hopeless. What else should we do then o' wise one. There is nobody to draft. These next couple drafts are horrible. We won't be bad enough to draft Stroud next year. We would have to trade the future away to get him, only difference is he's not a guaranteed star.

We're not winning anything with Wentz. So what's your plan bud? Just stay the course and hope for a miracle or that we can find the next Brady in the 6th? The chances of that happening are slim to none.

17 minutes ago, twfish said:

Had more pro bowlers then any other team this year, more all pro's then we have had since Polian. A 2nd year WR who broke 1k yards. The top running back in the NFL. The greatest LG in the game, traded for a top 5 DT, had a team lead the league in takeaways, we've had probably the best offensvie line the colts have ever had (last year) Have one of the leagues best Lber's. There's more talent on this team then we have had since probably 09. So dont be so dramatic..... The Chargers, who you probably believe are a better team, are in the same boat as us. His biggest issue was listening to his coach and bringing in a QB that i dont think he truly wanted.

And one play maker.   

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

When Tampa went and got brady that was a entire different situation. That team was already loaded with weapons. It was ready to win.

If Wentz isn’t the QB it’s time to draft the future and take the position serious instead of all these bandaids. Your just asking for trouble signing a guy that might only play one year. Then your starting with another QB again the following year. I am sure Reich is getting tired of it too. After the failure of Jacoby Ballard had his chances to fix it and he failed to address it in the draft.

Rodgers is a top 6 QB of all-time, you may hate the guy for his opinions/ways but I would take him all day for 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Ballard would make sure from Rodgers that he's gonna play for more than 1 year before trading for him. Idk what you're not getting about that. Our O-line wasn't looking like it's normal self because Kelly was in his head, and Nelson was playing hurt. 

There is nobody to draft. The prospects are horrible. Our options are so limited. If you truly want to see the Colts compete for superbowl anytime soon, we gotta go all out for a vet.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And one play maker.   

Blackmon was a heck of a playmaker until he got injured (no control of a GM) Kenny is a heck of a playmaker, Rodgers and Ya-sin are really coming into their own, Paye is really flashing and is only going to get better. This team is loaded with talent but we suffer from a defense thats easily picked apart due to scheme and a HC that needs to give up play calling.

On 1/10/2022 at 8:13 PM, Shadow_Creek said:

i'm about to vomit smh

Dont shake your head while you vomit or you’ll have a heck of a mess to clean up.

You’re better off crapping your pants. Then you just throw them away, hose Yourself off, and put on a new pair.

Kinda like how this team needs to “change its pants” after their “blowout.”

6 minutes ago, twfish said:

Blackmon was a heck of a playmaker until he got injured (no control of a GM) Kenny is a heck of a playmaker, Rodgers and Ya-sin are really coming into their own, Paye is really flashing and is only going to get better. This team is loaded with talent but we suffer from a defense thats easily picked apart due to scheme and a HC that needs to give up play calling.

Blackmon is pure on coverage.  I give u Mooore but he was terrible in out biggest games as were all the pro bowlers. No man corner...no wr ... no DE....should I go on and our qb is broken.

37 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Whelp, if we keep playing like this, we could tank in a couple years to draft Arch Manning!:dunno:

I was actually going to bring this up but thast like 4 years down the road. DO NOT think the front office isnt thinking about this. 

46 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I truly believe the first step is getting the QB out of shotgun and line him up  under center. Ditch the rpos. Let this Oline attack rather than being attacked.

22 minutes ago, twfish said:

I wonder How would Wentz play against our Defense Would we make him look like a stud as we have done for so many?

I dont think it will happen. But man Rodgers would be such a season changer. Could you imagine how this team would step up if he was here? Players like him dont bring dynamic to one position they change the whole complex of the team. Our D and running game would be so pumped knowing they could just go out and do what they do vs having the pressure of winning every single game. He would also hold this Offense accountable. He would give us all a reason to be excited and after the last two games this organization needs something like this to say we are not going to let that crap storm happen again.

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It doesn’t matter what we know it matters what Ballard and the Colts know.  They had faith in him and were rewarded for it.  If people want to rip him for having faith in Turay and Banogu (and that’s fair) you have to give him credit when he gets it right too and not just dismiss it as luck because it doesn’t support the Ballard makes big mistakes all the time narrative.

15 hours ago, EastStreet said:

To be fair, 

Turay is an injury fail, if anything, not a talent fail. He's been a good PRS when healthy. 5+ sacks and 5 TFLs in a very limited roll this year. He has about the same sack/TFL stats as our #1 DE (AQM), but only has about 25% of the snaps that AQM has.

Patmon hasn't really been given an opportunity to shine. Strachan either. It took Wentz asking Reich for a route change, that ended up a TD. We have a long history of staying conservative with WR use. It's why Pascal has almost the same snaps/game as Pittman, and only about half the targets.... Our passing scheme is very soggy.

I'll give you that Banogu and Wilson were whiffs though. 

15 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Just a note on Turay. He only played 22% of snaps for what ever reason and still had 6 sacks I believe. He stayed healthy after a rough start to the season. I would probably bring him back for a year if we change dline coaches. Maybe even if we don’t.

All that sum up one thing: 

We're hoping injuried playes and players that showed nothing/little so far to step up and be good instead of spend on a few sure things in free agency.

How is that working out so far? 

I get the "reward your own", drafting and developing, all that stuff. But Free Agency is a tool that should be used to complement what you're missing if you feel you're good enough to compete.

Patriots did, Rams, Packers, Titans, Cardinals.. 

Guess what, they're still playing.

Truly smart people mutate and evolve, let's see what's next.. 

1 minute ago, DiogoSales said:

All that sum up one thing: 

We're hoping injuried playes and players that showed nothing/little so far to step up and be good instead of spend on a few sure things in free agency.

How is that working out so far? 

I get the "reward your own", drafting and developing, all that stuff. But Free Agency is a tool that should be used to complement what you're missing.

Patriots did, Rams, Packers, Titans, Cardinals.. 

Guess what, they're still playing.

Truly smart people mutate and evolve, let's see what's next.. 

Turay played every game after that groin injury to start the season. Did miss the AZ game with covid. I actually think he stayed pretty healthy this season. A one year cheap prove it deal I think should be given to him. He is a guy I can see going to another team and getting more playing time and blowing up.

Archived