Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay on the season and changes

Restinpeacesweetchloe

26 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There are a couple things that are bothering me. What if Irsay walked into that meeting and demanded Wentz goes? Would he do that? If he did this is probably the end of Reich. Once a owner puts those kind of demands on a coach it usually isn’t long before that coach is gone. Maybe Ballard too.  Or do you guys think Reich is that disapointed he wants him gone too? Usually wants a GM and coach are on the hot seat it’s usually over not long after that.

I don’t think any of the three are happy with Wentz this year. Reich being the only one who would consider a year 2 honestly. Right now I’d say it’s 50/50 on Wentz being on the roster after March 19th or whichever day was the cut off for him to not be a cap hit next year. 

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Captain_Colts1317 said:

I don’t think any of the three are happy with Wentz this year. Reich being the only one who would consider a year 2 honestly. Right now I’d say it’s 50/50 on Wentz being on the roster after March 19th or whichever day was the cut off for him to not be a cap hit next year. 

If Reich feels the same way where he wants him gone too then we will be fine. I just worry there is division there. But Reich’s words leave me to believe he is just as disapointed. 

The sad thing is there really isn’t a upgrade. Jimmy G is injury prone and needs a lot of weapons around him. We may make improvements next season in some areas but if we cut Wentz we may still take a step back because there is no one to go get.

The entire thing just makes me sad. 

Maybe they like one of the QB in the draft. They probably won’t go high so may be in reach in the second round.  Then give Wentz one more year.

51 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

There are a couple things that are bothering me. What if Irsay walked into that meeting and demanded Wentz goes? Would he do that? If he did this is probably the end of Reich. Once a owner puts those kind of demands on a coach it usually isn’t long before that coach is gone. Maybe Ballard too.  Or do you guys think Reich is that disapointed he wants him gone too? Usually wants a GM and coach are on the hot seat it’s usually over not long after that.

Could Irsay do that?    Yes.   But it’s very highly NOT likely.    

Look at his PUBLIC comments in the last few days.   That he doesn’t normally do season reviews on the last night of the season.   That he only did so because of the extraordinary circumstances.  Odds are high Irsay asked for an evaluation, and some type of off-season plan of action.   But, odds are very low that anyone was threatened.  Odds are low that Irsay ordered anyone to be fired, traded or cut.  Just not his way.   I’m sure he asked about the coaches.  Will there be changes?   I’d bet yes.  But those would be for Reich and Ballard to decide and do.  Irsay would not do this. 

Im sure he asked about Wentz.   Are his issues correctable?  Can he be fixed?  What’s the plan at LT?    What contracts need to get re-worked in order to create more cap space. I read today, we have only $46 million, not $56 million, so we will need help.  What players do we want back, and who might not be?    Possible free agent targets.

But I doubt Irsay yelled and screamed at Chris and Frank.   I doubt either was threatened.   There were extraordinary circumstances all year long far beyond Covid.   This was about gathering information and creating an off-season plan. 

I think too many here are projecting.  Irsay yelled and screamed and threatened because that’s what fans want.   What fans themselves would want to do if given the chance.   I seriously doubt most any of that happened.  It’s just not his way. 

I said here just over two weeks ago I thought this would be a fascinating off-season.  Two horrible weeks later, I now fear a long difficult and painful off-season.   I just hope we make the right moves. 

NOTE: Spotrac shows we have $46 mill in cap space.  But, Over The Cap shows less, just $43 mill.   I’d expected some contracts to be re-worked to create more space. 

3 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Believe it when we see it. It’s been the same

thing the last 3 out of 4 seasons.

I know Irsay wants to win and win NOW. No question he is willing to do what it takes but when does he put pressure on his guys?

Starting to get a little worried that these open letters, making it known publicly that there was a Sunday evening meeting with the coach and GM are just PR moves designed to placate a justifiably upset, frustrated fanbase.   

I would rather they stay quiet and walk and walk regarding doing what is necessary to improve the organization. 

At the very least, IMO, Eberflus needs to go and bring in someone with a more accomplished resume and more advanced schemes for pass defense.  

9 hours ago, DiogoSales said:

All that sum up one thing: 

We're hoping injuried playes and players that showed nothing/little so far to step up and be good instead of spend on a few sure things in free agency.

How is that working out so far? 

I get the "reward your own", drafting and developing, all that stuff. But Free Agency is a tool that should be used to complement what you're missing if you feel you're good enough to compete.

Patriots did, Rams, Packers, Titans, Cardinals.. 

Guess what, they're still playing.

Truly smart people mutate and evolve, let's see what's next.. 

Not saying reward anything. 

I'm just out that Turay was far more productive per snap than any of our DL in terms of sacks and TFLs. 

I'd also point out that the guys we let walk, went on to have better season elsewhere (Autry, Houston, Walker, and even Hooker).. 

There's plenty of issues to pick at. Turay IMO is one of the smaller ones. 

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Irsay gave Reich and Ballard big extensions last offseason. Say he then had a difference of opinion with one or both of them on Wentz, it would be bizarre if a year after he extended them, he decided to take the Wentz decision out of their hands. If he feels strongly enough to do that, he should just fire Reich and Ballard. You have to be intellectually consistent. If he really trusts Reich and Ballard, as he did just a year ago, then he isn't going to be making demands and ultimatums like the one in your scenario. Therein shows how stupid those extensions were, but it is what it is...

1 minute ago, Les Poulains said:

Irsay gave Reich and Ballard big extensions last offseason. Say he then had a difference of opinion with one or both of them on Wentz, it would be bizarre if a year after he extended them, he would decide to take the Wentz decision out of their hands. If he feels strongly enough to do that, he should just fire Reich and Ballard. You have to be intellectually consistent. If he really trusts Reich and Ballard, as he did just a year ago, then he isn't going to be making demands and ultimatums like the one in your scenario. Therein shows how stupid those extensions were, but it is what it is...

Pagano was extended not long before he was fired.......

Coach and GM extensions are not guarantees, and are certainly a lot less of a factor than player contracts. They don't count vs the cap, and there is no union to protect terms. And the terms themselves are typically more protective of the owner, than employee. 

I also don't believe Irsay really ties Ballard to Reich. Reich wasn't even a top 5 candidate when hired. He was a plan D or further down the alphabet. He wasn't even interviewed first round (when we hired McD), and wasn't really a front runner in round two (after McD backed out) until our front runners at that time took other offers. So it's not like Ballard lasered in on Reich at all, or put his name on the hire. 

Now I'm not saying Ballard doesn't like Reich, just saying the history is the history.... 

16 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Irsay gave Reich and Ballard big extensions last offseason. Say he then had a difference of opinion with one or both of them on Wentz, it would be bizarre if a year after he extended them, he decided to take the Wentz decision out of their hands. If he feels strongly enough to do that, he should just fire Reich and Ballard. You have to be intellectually consistent. If he really trusts Reich and Ballard, as he did just a year ago, then he isn't going to be making demands and ultimatums like the one in your scenario. Therein shows how stupid those extensions were, but it is what it is...

Coaches and GM extensions really aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.  NFL owners can and will fire them anytime they want regardless of their contracts.  It’s not like a player where you are punished with a salary cap hit if you cut bait right after an extension is handed out.  

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Pagano was extended not long before he was fired.......

Coach and GM extensions are not guarantees, and are certainly a lot less of a factor than player contracts. They don't count vs the cap, and there is no union to protect terms. And the terms themselves are typically more protective of the owner, than employee. 

I also don't believe Irsay really ties Ballard to Reich. Reich wasn't even a top 5 candidate when hired. He was a plan D or further down the alphabet. He wasn't even interviewed first round (when we hired McD), and wasn't really a front runner in round two (after McD backed out) until our front runners at that time took other offers. So it's not like Ballard lasered in on Reich at all, or put his name on the hire. 

Now I'm not saying Ballard doesn't like Reich, just saying the history is the history.... 

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Coaches and GM extensions really aren’t worth the paper they are printed on.  NFL owners can and will fire them anytime they want regardless of their contracts.  It’s not like a player where you are punished with a salary cap hit if you cut bait right after an extension is handed out.  

I'm not talking about the extensions themselves. I said in my post, you might as well fire them both if you're an owner and you disagree with Ballard and Reich's decisions at this point.

My point was, if you're going to extend them, dont then make decisions to undermine them only one year later if you disagree with them, such as in this hypothetical Wentz scenario. Just fire them. They're already dead men walking if you're making decisions for them.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is crazy. In this thread Stephen has some quotes from the article. How do you make big decisions if this was the reason.

Wentz struggles started long long before he got Covid. The others, I think you take that into consideration 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is crazy. In this thread Stephen has some quotes from the article. How do you make big decisions if this was the reason.

Haha Wentz must have had Covid the whole year except the Buc, Ravens and one drive in the Cardinals game.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Wentz struggles started long long before he got Covid. The others, I think you take that into consideration 

Agreed, but I'm sure you can concede that a struggling Wentz could have been negatively affected by COVID, resulting in his 2 worst games of the season, right? His play was okay-ish throughout the season and was clearly terrible the last two games where we knew he had COVID just prior to those games.

Further, the O-line was affected by COVID as well. And coincidentally, played horribly against the Jags.

I think it's part of the story, but not the whole story. The defense still had to play well and they clearly didn't.

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

Agreed, but I'm sure you can concede that a struggling Wentz could have been negatively affected by COVID, resulting in his 2 worst games of the season, right? His play was okay-ish throughout the season and was clearly terrible the last two games where we knew he had COVID just prior to those games.

Further, the O-line was affected by COVID as well. And coincidentally, played horribly against the Jags.

I think it's part of the story, but not the whole story. The defense still had to play well and they clearly didn't.

What was his excuse the other 4 games then?

9 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

I’ve already conceded that he was struggling. COVID led to further struggles. 

It’s  not rocket surgery.

I could see that perhaps. But question, when was his daughter born? Wasn’t it about the week 9-11 mark? Wondering if maybe he wasn’t getting enough rest and that affected him as well? I know my 9 month old is wearing us out big time

7 hours ago, Les Poulains said:

I'm not talking about the extensions themselves. I said in my post, you might as well fire them both if you're an owner and you disagree with Ballard and Reich's decisions at this point.

My point was, if you're going to extend them, dont then make decisions to undermine them only one year later if you disagree with them, such as in this hypothetical Wentz scenario. Just fire them. They're already dead men walking if you're making decisions for them.

Not all owners are hands off, and ownership in general doesn't really require hands off treatment. Owners are the ultimate boss. Owner directives are directives just like GM directives, or Coach directives. Everyone has a boss. Not sure why there's this attitude from some that a GM should be left alone, or a coach... It's a business like any other business. 

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not all owners are hands off, and ownership in general doesn't really require hands off treatment. Owners are the ultimate boss. Owner directives are directives just like GM directives, or Coach directives. Everyone has a boss. Not sure why there's this attitude from some that a GM should be left alone, or a coach... It's a business like any other business. 

Because good owners and bosses let people do their jobs. It's like that in all walks of life, no one likes to be micromanaged and feel like you can't make your own decisions. Might has well do a Jerry Jones and be the GM if you want to make football decisions. 

1 minute ago, Les Poulains said:

Because good owners and bosses let people do their jobs. It's like that in all walks of life, no one likes to be micromanaged and feel like you can't make your own decisions. Might has well do a Jerry Jones and be the GM if you want to make football decisions. 

There is no blueprint for owners. It's a business. 

And you can joke all you want about Jerry, but his team has been, and continues to be the most valuable franchise in the league.

And Kraft, while he keeps his name out of the media by design, is known to get his hands dirty even though he has arguably the best coach/GM combo of all time. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There is no blueprint for owners. It's a business. 

And you can joke all you want about Jerry, but his team has been, and continues to be the most valuable franchise in the league.

And Kraft, while he keeps his name out of the media by design, is known to get his hands dirty even though he has arguably the best coach/GM combo of all time. 

I disagree. I don't really care that there are such owners in the NFL, I think any boss that tries to mettle in the jobs of others are stupid. I'd think less of them. Else, why did they hire these people?

By the way, Jerry Jones isn't in this category because he doesn't tell a GM what to do, he's the actual GM. 

3 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

I disagree. I don't really care that there are such owners in the NFL, I think any boss that tries to mettle in the jobs of others are stupid. I'd think less of them. Else, why did they hire these people?

By the way, Jerry Jones isn't in this category because he doesn't tell a GM what to do, he's the actual GM. 

A "boss's" job is to manage those under him. An owner, regardless of demeanor or type, is the ultimate boss. 

You seem to have this utopian view of the world where there are no bosses lol. There are simply all flavors of owners in all types of business. The key for most teams, is finding a good fit (a GM to fit well with the owner) regardless of what type of owner. Ballard said he and Irsay are on the same page in terms of construction, which is important. But both Ballard and Reich were called to the principal's office right after the melt down.

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

A "boss's" job is to manage those under him. An owner, regardless of demeanor or type, is the ultimate boss. 

You seem to have this utopian view of the world where there are no bosses lol. There are simply all flavors of owners in all types of business. The key for most teams, is finding a good fit (a GM to fit well with the owner) regardless of what type of owner. Ballard said he and Irsay are on the same page in terms of construction, which is important. But both Ballard and Reich were called to the principal's office right after the melt down.

Yes, manage them, not do their jobs for them. The hypothetical scenario where Irsay tells Reich and Ballard he wants Wentz gone would be precisely that. If you're an owner wanting to make personnel decisions, be the GM yourself, then. "Calling someone to the principal's office" and wanting employees to be accountable is not the same as saying "I want you to get rid of x player". 

3 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Yes, manage them, not do their jobs for them. The hypothetical scenario where Irsay tells Reich and Ballard he wants Wentz gone would be precisely that. If you're an owner wanting to make personnel decisions, be the GM yourself, then. "Calling someone to the principal's office" and wanting employees to be accountable is not the same as saying "I want you to get rid of x player". 

Ballard has said himself that Irsay is key part of big decisions like QB, and big $ trades/FAs. 

Managing them, sometimes equates to directives. Managing is not simply pep talks. An owner clearly defines a vision, and expects his employees make that vision reality. When that doesn't happen, more hands on is typical. In no world is there an unlimited leash.

And if we're purely talking results, Irsay as an owner is about 18th in win %. So overall, the team has been mediocre.  And no AFC titles in 7ish years... very mediocre of late. So how's hands off working out?

43 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Owners can and absolutely do do that or the reverse.  Remember when it came out the hoody wanted to move on from Brady and go with Jimmy G and Kraft said we aren’t moving on from Brady and made BB trade Jimmy G?  Heck even Irsay made it clear he would make the decision on Manning after 2011 and not Grigson.  All owners pick and choose their spots to get involved.  The Simon brothers were one of the more hands off owners in all of sports but after the brawl in Detroit they got involved and demanded changes.  Yes some, like Jerry Jones, Al Davis, or, Bill Irsay get too involved but most owners want to be involved in big events for their franchise and that’s not always a bad thing.  

It’s thanks to Jim Irsay being involved in the draft process Taylor is a Colt or else he’d probably be a Jag right now.  On draft night it was Reich and Ballard talking about how much they loved Taylor but he wouldn’t last to their pick.  It was Irsay who spoke up and said why don’t you go get him if you love him this much?  So Ballard went to work and the Colts got Taylor.  

Yes on some level you have to let the people you hired do the job that you hired them for but just about any owner in any major business, sports or not, is going to be involved in major decisions and in football it doesn’t get much bigger than who your starting QB is going to be.  

I really doubt Irsay went to Ballard and Reich said you are going to do X with Wentz end of discussion.  Do I think he had a discussion with them about Wentz and made his feelings known?  Absolutely.  Do I also think the three of them agreed on a path forward?  Yes.  

On 1/12/2022 at 11:54 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Look at his PUBLIC comments in the last few days.   That he doesn’t normally do season reviews on the last night of the season.   That he only did so because of the extraordinary circumstances.  Odds are high Irsay asked for an evaluation, and some type of off-season plan of action.   But, odds are very low that anyone was threatened.  Odds are low that Irsay ordered anyone to be fired, traded or cut.  Just not his way.   I’m sure he asked about the coaches.  Will there be changes?   I’d bet yes.  But those would be for Reich and Ballard to decide and do.  Irsay would not do this. 

Im sure he asked about Wentz.   Are his issues correctable?  Can he be fixed?  What’s the plan at LT?    What contracts need to get re-worked in order to create more cap space. I read today, we have only $46 million, not $56 million, so we will need help.  What players do we want back, and who might not be?    Possible free agent targets.

But I doubt Irsay yelled and screamed at Chris and Frank.   I doubt either was threatened.   There were extraordinary circumstances all year long far beyond Covid.   This was about gathering information and creating an off-season plan. 

I think too many here are projecting.  Irsay yelled and screamed and threatened because that’s what fans want.   What fans themselves would want to do if given the chance.   I seriously doubt most any of that happened.  It’s just not his way. 

I said here just over two weeks ago I thought this would be a fascinating off-season.  Two horrible weeks later, I now fear a long difficult and painful off-season.   I just hope we make the right moves. 

NOTE: Spotrac shows we have $46 mill in cap space.  But, Over The Cap shows less, just $43 mill.   I’d expected some contracts to be re-worked to create more space. 

I pretty much agree with this. Ballard did say, however, something along the lines him being able to handle a chewing out, so Irsay did make it clear the way we ended the season was far from good enough. 

Ballard is definitely going to have to do some work and make some hard choices to get around the cap issues. 

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I pretty much agree with this. Ballard did say, however, something along the lines him being able to handle a chewing out, so Irsay did make it clear the way we ended the season was far from good enough. 

Ballard is definitely going to have to do some work and make some hard choices to get around the cap issues. 

I thought last season was the hardest off-season Ballard had to date.   But when your franchise face plants the end of the regular season the way ours did,  I now think this off-season will be MUCH harder.  Can’t afford to be out of the playoffs back to back years.   I don’t envy the man.  He has to get this off-season right.  100 percent.  

On 1/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I think he has sources but I think he is making up that part. He says the Irsay meeting was all about Wentz and he will do anything to win. That doesn’t mean we have draft capital or money to go after one. This is where Jason gets in trouble with fans. 

He actually does have legit sources and has a track record of being the first person to leak something hours or even a day ahead of everyone else and he was spot on. He's 100% legit and I believe him whenever he tells everyone that one of his sources confirmed what happened in the meeting between Irsay, Ballard, and Reich.

7 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

He actually does have legit sources and has a track record of being the first person to leak something hours or even a day ahead of everyone else and he was spot on. He's 100% legit and I believe him whenever he tells everyone that one of his sources confirmed what happened in the meeting between Irsay, Ballard, and Reich.

I absolutely think he has legit sources. 

I also think he, at times, makes some decent jumps based on secondary info. 

Always an interesting listen though. He's better than most. 

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I absolutely think he has legit sources. 

I also think he, at times, makes some decent jumps based on secondary info. 

Always an interesting listen though. He's better than most. 

His sources are 100% legit.

He'll be the first person to admit when he's wrong on something. Deals and negotiations can fall apart behind the scenes and change on the fly.

His knowledge for the team and his passion being a fan shows in his podcast or on Twitter. He's been one of my favorite Colts sources to follow on Twitter and Youtube.

51 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

His sources are 100% legit.

He'll be the first person to admit when he's wrong on something. Deals and negotiations can fall apart behind the scenes and change on the fly.

His knowledge for the team and his passion being a fan shows in his podcast or on Twitter. He's been one of my favorite Colts sources to follow on Twitter and Youtube.

I really like him.

But in any time you get 1st hand info, you're great.

When you start forming opinion based on second hand info, and any info he got from the 3 way conversation, was second hand, is subject to flaws. And then add opinion on top of that... 

I just hope his info source doesn't leave, or get found out lol

21 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I really like him.

But in any time you get 1st hand info, you're great.

When you start forming opinion based on second hand info, and any info he got from the 3 way conversation, was second hand, is subject to flaws. And then add opinion on top of that... 

I just hope his info source doesn't leave, or get found out lol

I'm pretty sure he has more than one source. I have no idea what he does for a living but he's pretty closely linked to people who work within the organization so who really knows? Jason and Luke do an excellent job with the ForTheCOLTure podcast. I don't think we'll ever have to worry about that because I have a feeling he's closer with the organization than we know.

27 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

I'm pretty sure he has more than one source. I have no idea what he does for a living but he's pretty closely linked to people who work within the organization so who really knows? Jason and Luke do an excellent job with the ForTheCOLTure podcast. I don't think we'll ever have to worry about that because I have a feeling he's closer with the organization than we know.

Hope so. Hope he's a friendly source, meaning the team wants to leak stuff to him. 

Not sure if that's the case though. 

Good guy, and I enjoy his stuff. 

Off to bed. Just finished some work, and 4ish hours is my min. Have a good night,

On 1/11/2022 at 3:25 PM, John Waylon said:

So we traded for frank’s favorite player at both of their vehement request because his favorite player’s old team brought in another guy that threatened his spot and he crumbled under those circumstances so we’re… bringing in another guy… to compete for his spot?

I’m not saying it’s the wrong move by any stretch, but the writing on the wall is getting clearer. 

Wentz has one last chance to exorcise those Philly demons. 

What are the odds that this strategy will make Wentz a better QB? If the odds are not greater than 50%, then is it even worth wasting another year to do it?

6 minutes ago, philba101 said:

What are the odds that this strategy will make Wentz a better QB? If the odds are not greater than 50%, then is it even worth wasting another year to do it?

If it gets us to the 2023 draft with all our draft assets for a QB it’s worth it. I don’t know if Ballard and Reich survive that though.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:54 PM, NewColtsFan said:

i agree with you that he never verbally  threatened anyone. However when you call a news conference like that, you are definitely threatening   and  putting people on notice  with  his actions and maybe not his words. Just my read on it

On 1/13/2022 at 7:32 AM, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

So I guess our pass rush had covid all year? It would explain their lack of penetration and low sack numbers...LOL!!

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If it gets us to the 2023 draft with all our draft assets for a QB it’s worth it. I don’t know if Ballard and Reich survive that though.

You don’t know if Ballard and Reich will survive one more year?    

Dear God…..

SPOILER ALERT:  They will. 

(Sigh….)

Archived