Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay on the season and changes

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Turay played every game after that groin injury to start the season. Did miss the AZ game with covid. I actually think he stayed pretty healthy this season. A one year cheap prove it deal I think should be given to him. He is a guy I can see going to another team and getting more playing time and blowing up.

Can agree with you on Turay and Lewis.

But let me ask you a question:

Turay/Lewis/Buckner/Grover/Dayo/Paye

Are you confortable this group will change the scenario of lacking pass Rush for next year?

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Are you confortable this group will change the scenario of lacking pass Rush for next year?

They definitely need to go get a proven pass rusher to add to the mix. If that means Lewis or Turay don’t come back I am fine with that.  I would probably take Lewis over Turay.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Blackmon is pure on coverage.  I give u Mooore but he was terrible in out biggest games as were all the pro bowlers. No man corner...no wr ... no DE....should I go on and our qb is broken.

Ya-Sin strong suit is man, we just hardly play that coverage. Pitmans 88 receptions for 1,082 6 td with an average 8 ypc is definitely WR #1 numbers. No DE? Paye was one of the top rookie edge rushers. Did you watch the team at all this season or do you just like to complain, wait dont answer because we already know it....

3 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

What are the alternatives? Draft more DEs? 

11 minutes ago, twfish said:

Ya-Sin strong suit is man, we just hardly play that coverage. Pitmans 88 receptions for 1,082 6 td with an average 8 ypc is definitely WR #1 numbers. No DE? Paye was one of the top rookie edge rushers. Did you watch the team at all this season or do you just like to complain, wait dont answer because we already know it....

Pittman is a number 2. Sin is an okay corner and not a man corner which I have  been wanting for years. Paye.  I liked him but has not shown me that he is the answer as of yet.

5 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Buy one, change the approach.

Use FA and money

Roughly, 45M available for 2022. 

With multiple needs and 20+ FAs, I’m not seeing DE as a priority. Plus, they will have to dish out roughly 18-20M for Nelson in 2023. 

It’s going to be an interesting off-season. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

This is a crazy stat. It tells you how bad the pass rush was and the defense. Defense gave up so many points in the 4th quarter. I don’t know how Eberflus keeps his job. Maybe they are waiting to see how the hiring cycle goes for him so they don’t have to fire him.

If that doesn’t get you a ticket to Brownsville then something is extremely flawed with our evaluation system.  

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Sin is not a man corner. He lacks top end speed 

32 minutes ago, MPStack said:

With multiple needs and 20+ FAs, I’m not seeing DE as a priority. Plus, they will have to dish out roughly 18-20M for Nelson in 2023. 

They're well paid to solve this kind of problem..

Benchmark with Saints, Bucs, Rams..

Do the same thing and expect a different outcome never works.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If that doesn’t get you a ticket to Brownsville then something is extremely flawed with our evaluation system.  

Especially when it’s been the same thing for 4 years.  I love turnovers but it really ticks me off when Leonard goes out there after a loss and says they lost because they didn’t create enough turnovers. If your defense can only get stops with turnovers something is wrong.

35 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Nelson only adds 4 million because 14 million is already accounted for.

4 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

They're well paid to solve this kind of problem..

Benchmark with Saints, Bucs, Rams..

Do the same thing and expect a different outcome never works.

I do believe Mr Ballard is going sign a big FA, maybe even two, but doubtful it’s a DE. 

He’s definitely got to change the script going into year 6, because the Colts are not a playoff team. 

We just spent our first and second round picks on DE last year. Paye came along as the season progressed. No reason to believe that trend won’t continue in 2022. 

Dayo was injured and this whole season was basically a wash for him. He needs the playing time in 2022. 

If we go out and sign a DE that keeps those two off the field I’m going to take extreme exception to that. We drafted them knowing damn good and well that we weren’t going to have a first round pick this year. We’ve invested enough in that position recently, and we have plenty of holes elsewhere that need filled. Those two draft picks need to step in and bring a return on that investment. If they can’t do that then we’ll cross that bridge when we have to, but enough with drafting guys and then not playing them. 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

We just spent our first and second round picks on DE last year. Paye came along as the season progressed. No reason to believe that trend won’t continue in 2022. 

Dayo was injured and this whole season was basically a wash for him. He needs the playing time in 2022. 

If we go out and sign a DE that keeps those two off the field I’m going to take extreme exception to that. We drafted them knowing damn good and well that we weren’t going to have a first round pick this year. We’ve invested enough in that position recently, and we have plenty of holes elsewhere that need filled. Those two draft picks need to step in and bring a return on that investment. If they can’t do that then we’ll cross that bridge when we have to, but enough with drafting guys and then never playing them. 

We like to rotate the line. It’s not going to hurt then to bring in a proven rusher.

22 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I do believe Mr Ballard is going sign a big FA, maybe even two, but doubtful it’s a DE. 

He’s definitely got to change the script going into year 6, because the Colts are not a playoff team. 

Agree, only using DE as an example..

The point is, FA is a tool for teams and GMs to use, use it, Ballard is pretty smart to work this out and give us a overall better roster.

3 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Agree, only using DE as an example..

The point is, FA is a tool for teams and GMs to use, use it, Ballard is pretty smart to work this out and give us a overall better roster.

What’s crazy looking at teams like KC and Buffalo they don’t seem to have dominate pass rush. They have offenses that are dominate. We can use better pass rush but skill players on the offensive side of the ball is where it is at. You need the pass rush to be good enough though to close games in the 4th quarter.

31 minutes ago, MPStack said:

LT, WR, TE and CB. 

:facepalm:

Just read that Pryor received the 4th highest PFF grade among all Colts that played at least 25% of the snaps all season. Trailing only Taylor, Smith and Leonard.  Could be our new LT is starring us in the face and waiting to be given a new contract.

40 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Agree.  When Irsay said changes were going to be coming I think included among those changes was a change in approach to FA this year.  Signing a big FA playmaker or two would qualify as a significant change.

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Agree.  When Irsay said changes were going to be coming I think included among those changes was a change in approach to FA this year.  Signing a big FA playmaker or two would qualify as a significant change.

Colts always have a tough time getting FA to come here. Ballard is going to have to pay  market value and not look for just cheap options.not making playoffs is going to hurt too.

34 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

If we go out and sign a DE that keeps those two off the field I’m going to take extreme exception to that. We drafted them knowing damn good and well that we weren’t going to have a first round pick this year. We’ve invested enough in that position recently, and we have plenty of holes elsewhere that need filled. Those two draft picks need to step in and bring a return on that investment. If they can’t do that then we’ll cross that bridge when we have to, but enough with drafting guys and then not playing them. 

I agree.

Typically it is year 2 when de's start showing their worth.   Paye was improving this season and I think Dayo will as well next season.   

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Colts always have a tough time getting FA to come here. Ballard is going to have to pay  market value and not look for just cheap options.not making playoffs is going to hurt too.

I think Ballard is the guy who decided to go the cheap route. He had his reasons like some extensions but we are in uncharted territory.  He will pay now.  He has no choice. He is working for a * off owner at this moment.

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This is a crazy stat. It tells you how bad the pass rush was and the defense. Defense gave up so many points in the 4th quarter. I don’t know how Eberflus keeps his job. Maybe they are waiting to see how the hiring cycle goes for him so they don’t have to fire him.

I knew our secondary would be a problem this year before the season even started and our losses are a testament to that.  Lawrence threw 2 TDs in the 8 previous games and started 12 for 12 and like 100 yards.  Lamar Jackson had only like 5 incompletions out of 40+ pass attempts for like a billion yards and a hundred TDs.  Russell Wilson has usually been around league average with his completion percentage, but against us, he was nearly 80% along with 4 TDs.  I mean sure the pass rush has something to do with that, but without the turnovers to bail us out, we were terrible in coverage more often than not.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I knew our secondary would be a problem this year before the season even started and our losses are a testament to that.  Lawrence threw 2 TDs in the 8 previous games and started 12 for 12 and like 100 yards.  Lamar Jackson had only like 5 incompletions out of 40+ pass attempts for like a billion yards and a hundred TDs.  Russell Wilson has usually been around league average with his completion percentage, but against us, he was nearly 80% along with 4 TDs.  I mean sure the pass rush has something to do with that, but without the turnovers to bail us out, we were terrible in coverage more often than not.

Sure didn’t help when Blackmon went out. Willis missing some games too. We had a lot of injuries in the secondary. Even missing Sendejo the last two games hurt. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

What’s crazy looking at teams like KC and Buffalo they don’t seem to have dominate pass rush. They have offenses that are dominate. We can use better pass rush but skill players on the offensive side of the ball is where it is at. You need the pass rush to be good enough though to close games in the 4th quarter.

We dont have Allen or Mahomes to bail the defense out, we need better defense than they do.

1 minute ago, DiogoSales said:

We dont have Allen or Mahomes to bail the defense out, we need better defense than they do.

You don’t see dominate defenses anymore. Rules are geared towards offense. Hopefully Ballard has learned that.  KC still has a good enough defense to close games out in 4th quarter. That’s all you really need from your defense. It’s going to be sad seeing Bengals flying all over the field with all their weapons this weekend.

32 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Believe it when we see it. It’s been the same

thing the last 3 out of 4 seasons.

I know Irsay wants to win and win NOW. No question he is willing to do what it takes but when does he put pressure on his guys?

7 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

Believe it when we see it. It’s been the same

thing the last 3 out of 4 seasons.

I know Irsay wants to win and win NOW. No question he is willing to do what it takes but when does he put pressure on his guys?

He did it right after the game when the plane landed in Indy.  He was * and he let them know it. That's when the pressure was really applied.  Make no mistake about it. 

There are a couple things that are bothering me. What if Irsay walked into that meeting and demanded Wentz goes? Would he do that? If he did this is probably the end of Reich. Once a owner puts those kind of demands on a coach it usually isn’t long before that coach is gone. Maybe Ballard too.  Or do you guys think Reich is that disapointed he wants him gone too? Usually wants a GM and coach are on the hot seat it’s usually over not long after that.

3 hours ago, MPStack said:

If u were a wr on the  market would u come here? This isn't Luck or Manning throwing u the ball.

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Most of the time, it’s all about the money. 

Not to mention, the Colts have a great owner. 

U r also forgetting that it's over the national media. It appears that frank and Ballard are on notice. A bad season and u could be looking at a  new  regime. Not sure that is to attractive to top end free agents. 

Archived