Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay on the season and changes

Restinpeacesweetchloe

4 hours ago, yankeeclipper said:

Glad that Jim had meeting last night with  Ballard and Reich.  That was a humiliating loss.  Worse game of the year for the Colts.  I doubt that this team is going to trade or cut Wentz. I see no way we get Rogers and I doubt Wilson is coming to Indy. Watson's situation is a big question mark and Colts will not trade away future with a QB with an uncertain future.   I would not blame Isray  if he is upset about players not getting  vaccinated.   COVID played havoc with roster at end of the season and most of this was avoidable.  We got lucky against Cardinals as team played tough with depleted roster. It caught up to them in last 2 games where team was lethargic and had no fight in them.

I sense they had candid conversation on weaknesses at  receiver slots (wide receiver and tight end), lack of depth in secondary,  poor pass rush,  and  inconsistent play by OL with pass protection (particularly last 2 games) and Wentz's  offensive struggles.  I  think he probably probed on needed changes with offensive scheme and how we can build an offense that plays to Wentz's strengths. There will be roster changes mostly with guys like Doyle and Hilton who retire and others like decisions not to resign  Pascal and Rhodes.  They will  restructure some contracts to have more cap room and they will look to prioritize  key Free Agents   to fill holes  and use draft to get best available players at other positions that they cannot fill through FA market. 

I think Isray is a good owner. He has a good GM and I think Reich is a good coach. They will likely make some coaching changes to improve in areas that need to be improved. stay tuned. This loss stings. We should be in playoffs although I thought we would not go deep into playoffs with holes in secondary and  receiver.

The only thing I’d add is even if Watson gets his situation squared away no way on earth are the Texans going to trade him within the divison.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Reich and Wentz should be on the hot seat in 2022. Ballard, no IMO, I still give him 2 more years for that if we miss the playoffs again in 2022. Ballard is top 10 at his position, hard to fine GM's like him. Reich and Wentz are in that top 15 area, JMO. 

I personally think Ballard is at least top-8 and maybe even top-5.  

But after the last two weeks, my view on Reich and Wentz has changed.   I thought Frank was top-10/12.  Niw I’d peg him top-16.   Top half.  

I’ve made repeated posts the last month I thought Wentz was top-12/14, playoff level.  But I don’t think you can have this kind of finish without taking a hit.  So, for me, he tumbles to somewhere in the 20-24 area.  He’s got to prove all the doubters wrong.  Yes, he needs more and better weapons, but it’s playoffs next year or he’ll be gonzo. 

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   Those are definitely NOT facts.  Those are opinions presented as facts.   Sorry.   Just calling them facts doesn’t make them facts.  

You actually have to present facts to prove your point.   You’re entitled to whatever opinion you want.   But stating those are facts is clearly wrong.  

Rework Leonard and Buckners contract, to push money down the road and backload the contract of the new qb with heavy incentives that wont count against the cap, There done. Its not rocket science most teams in the league are doing this now

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

DL gotta be revamped badly. Keeping Buck, Grove, Dayo, Paye maybe Lewis but everyone else could care less moving forward.  

I’d keep Muhammad.  He quietly had a nice season.  I hope Dayo can replace him as the starter but I think he’d be nice depth guy.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think Colts fans mayb shocked at the changes that r coming. 

I’m sure you think that.  

You also thought Leonard wasn’t getting his big contract.  Same with Smith and Hines. 
And you’re wrong on Nelson too.  

You do not have a good track record with your predictions. 

But, carry on!      :thmup:

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But after the last two weeks, my view on Reich and Wentz has changed.   I thought Frank was top-10/12.  Niw I’d peg him top-16.   Top half.  

I’ve made repeated posts the last month I thought Wentz was top-12/14, playoff level.  But I don’t think you can have this kind of finish without taking a hit.  So, for me, he tumbles to somewhere in the 20-24 area.  He’s got to prove all the doubters wrong.  Yes, he needs more and better weapons, but it’s playoffs next year or he’ll be gonzo. 

Good post. I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I do think Wentz is still in the top 15/16 area though, like Reich but those last 2 games would have anyone wondering.

21 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Rework Leonard and Buckners contract, to push money down the road and backload the contract of the new qb with heavy incentives that wont count against the cap, There done. Its not rocket science most teams in the league are doing this now

The fact that you think this is easy, tells me everything.   Teams get into financial trouble every year.   New Orleans went 7-9 three straight years and they have one of they best coaches in football.  Do you think Sean Payton was stupid for three straight years?!?

Salary cap gymnastics is hard.  That’s why most teams (all?) have someone, who is not the GM, devoted entirely to the cap.  It’s hard and complicated.  For the Colts, it’s a guy named Mike Bluem.   

The Colts are exceptionally good at handling the cap.  But not all teams are.  I’m sorry you think this is easy. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The fact that you think this is easy, tells me everything.   Teams get into financial trouble every year.   New Orleans went 7-9 three straight years and they have one of they best coaches in football.  Do you think Sean Payton was stupid for three straight years?!?

Salary cap gymnastics is hard.  That’s why most teams (all?) have someone, who is not the GM, devoted entirely to the cap.  It’s hard and complicated.  For the Colts, it’s a guy named Mike Bluem.   

The Colts are exceptionally good at handling the cap.  But not all teams are.  I’m sorry you think this is easy. 

I understand its not as simple as I made it sound in my quick post. The point I was trying to make to begin with though is that if Ballard and Irsay really want to make a move for an elite expensive quarterback, although from first glance at the numbers it may not look possible. With some salary gymnastics, it is possible. We have seen it done with multiple teams over the last 5 years. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good post. I pretty much agree with everything you just said. I do think Wentz is still in the top 15/16 area though, like Reich but those last 2 games would have anyone wondering.

I saw a graphic today (tweet?) that showed Wentz was horrible over his last four games.  We all got seduced because we beat the Pats  and the Cards.  Wentz made one great throw against the Pats, and one against the Cards.   Otherwise, pretty terrible.   

Can we make Wentz better over the next year.  I think so, but I’m now less optimistic now than I was a year ago.  

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I saw a graphic today (tweet?) that showed Wentz was horrible over his last four games.  We all got seduced because we beat the Pats  and the Cards.  Wentz made one great throw against the Pats, and one against the Cards.   Otherwise, pretty terrible.   

Can we make Wentz better over the next year.  I think so, but I’m now less optimistic now than I was a year ago.  

Me too and I am always optimistic. Yesterday stings my gut. Even this guy won't speak to me happy homer simpson GIF

Just now, SchlicterSZN said:

Not sure why this board likes to force me to quote posts occasionally, even if I completely close it out and re open the site....

Anyway, the main things I want to see next year, are the proper use of the words "utmost" and "corps" on the boards...lol.

What do you post on, a cell phone or laptop? 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nobody is talking about watching 2-3 more years of mediocre garbage at quarterback.  No one.

Wentz has one more guaranteed year, then he can come off the books with zero financial hit.    We traded a 1 and a 3 for a two-year marriage.   After that, all bets are off.   But he looks impossible to trade, who would want him?   And we’d get very little in return. 

I think odds are better than 50-50 Wentz is back for one more year.   

Agree.  And there is the chance next year he could be better.

I like him, i see the skills.  But the gunslinger throws and terrible mechanics concern me.  Accuracy comes from repetition.  And no two throws of his look the same.  Theres alot goin on in that throwing motion.

I think we’re financially attached to him for another year, but i wanna see a plan B in case it doesnt pan out.

I remember Ballard saying he will never be in a QB position again after the Luck retirement but here we are.

I’d pursue a QB for the future as if we dont have one. 
This fanbase is used to good QB play.  That needs to be a primary objective i think.

Tired of this crap.  Haha

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We’re not trading up into the first round, especially this year for a quarterback.  This is a horrible quarterback draft class.  Just because we need one doesn’t mean there’s one worth drafting. 

Ballard is willing to trade up, but only small moves.   Like trading a 5 to move up 3 spots in the second to take Taylor.  But he’s repeatedly said trading up into the first is both expensive (picks) and risky (bust factor).  

I agree, BUT…..  the boss wants results.  It’s not the boss of old. Age changes you. And only he calls the shots.  

6 minutes ago, sb2001 said:

I agree, BUT…..  the boss wants results.  It’s not the boss of old. Age changes you. And only he calls the shots.  

Irsay let’s Ballard call the shots.  He does not interfere.   If he suggested we use our first kick in a QB, instead of a new weapon for Wentz, or an upgrade for the defense,  Ballard would simply tell him that he recommend we go in another direction, that’s there’s no player worthy if our highest pick because he’d need at least a year or two, maybe more to contribute,   

As you noted, Irsay wants to win NOW!   A rookie QB won’t help us do that either in 2022, or likely 23 either.  

Not trying to be argumentative, just explaining my thinking. 

Have you watched Mahomes throw the ball. No two throws are the same. I am fine with  Wentz next year. He has a season here under his belt and hopefully we get him better receiving options at wide receiver and tight end.  Reich and coaches need to design  scheme that will play to his strengths and offense has a game plan that is more balanced and puts more pressure on defense to scheme against run and pass options.  Since Buffalo game this team (outside of Bucs game) was run first and pass less. That works for a while but at end of the season teams were daring Colts to throw the ball believing they felt that they could defense against Taylor so he would not beat you and hope that Colts lack of passing proficiency would play to their favor.  He will be under pressure to deliver this team to the playoffs. If team fizzles next year then you look at QB options.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I have the same problem. So I rarely do the cell phone thing. I am on my laptop now as usual and rarely have problems. @Nadineprobably can correct the cell phone problem. 

2 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Depends, often I think it's the phone that has the issue.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I can’t link stories ir anything from my phone.  

For some convenience,  I post from my phone, but that’s often limiting when I can’t post a needed link.   (Arrrg!!).      :thmdown:

2 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

Have you watched Mahomes throw the ball. No two throws are the same. I am fine with  Wentz next year. He has a season here under his belt and hopefully we get him better receiving options at wide receiver and tight end.  Reich and coaches need to design  scheme that will play to his strengths and offense has a game plan that is more balanced and puts more pressure on defense to scheme against run and pass options.  Since Buffalo game this team (outside of Bucs game) was run first and pass less. That works for a while but at end of the season teams were daring Colts to throw the ball believing they felt that they could defense against Taylor so he would not beat you and hope that Colts lack of passing proficiency would play to their favor.  He will be under pressure to deliver this team to the playoffs. If team fizzles next year then you look at QB options.

Another very good post by you!

Thanks for making these points!

Keep ‘em coming!!    :thmup:

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure about Ballard but mainly because judging GMs can be a complete fools errand, very subjective, very flaky.

Reich? Top 10 easily for me. The last two games were an eyesore but when you see the plays the offense (QB) left behind, not sure how i put it all on the HC. (Granted the ultimate responsibility is his because that's the business and indeed it was him who went to bat for this garbage QB).

Wentz? The stats that count show him as a middle pack QB. I think he's top 20. The problem with him is some weeks he looks like a top 10 QB but there's no in between....the other end of the spectrum with him is when is isnt looking top 10, he looks worse like a Tolzien level QB. 

I always said CB never stopped looking at QBs, i think he drafts another this year and yet another next year, Wentz is a stop gap. This GM has to start producing though, with the HC, you have more metrics that can be traced directly to him, DVOA etc....with the GM, well it's much harder.

24 minutes ago, yankeeclipper said:

I like your points but I want to look more closely at them.

Another year under the belt isnt going to give us anything we dont already know about this QB. That's faith built on hope, and asking for a big letdown. This QB is a walking variance. Unless he turns to Islam or Buddhism, nothing he does is going to surprise me again. He is very predictable in his inconsistency. He is pretty much exactly what Philly described him as....and all those years they had better personnel then we have given him yet the end result was same. Another year? He could and should get it but only because of the corner Ballard backed himself into. Also keep in mind, we got lucky health-wise with him....if you listen to those Philadelphia folk, those injuries are coming.

Scheme? The Reich scheme that Wentz knew? The same scheme that was supposed to work to perfection with Carson? It's already there. He just isnt executing at any kind of consistently high level.

You're right about the balance, we went away from it but were you on this forum whenever we played games that were not run-heavy? It was a sight for behold. If JT doesnt carry the ball 30x, folks go nuts. The Reich scheme is supposed to be about keeping defenses off balance ie making them pay for the choices they make...if the opponent plays the run, you pass, if they sit back to play the pass, you run. Simple enough right? Well no, whenever we had games were we tried to do that, the fans complained. Bitterly. The QB also never really showed he could lead us optimally passing the ball, he couldn't win us games with his arm. The one game he had the chance to do so was Baltimore and honestly when you look at how many total points we scored, i wouldn't quite say 25 points will lead you to offensive bliss.

Balance is the key term however it's balance based on what the opponent does which i love, however when we needed to pass, we couldn't do it. We extended Ny Hines and proceeded to barely use him all season, thanks JT (/s) and his comments after the game about our passing failures are extremely indicative of a mistrust in the QB. 

They never stopped looking at QB options. The question was always one of pulling the trigger. Chris Ballard has said that on many occasions. 

9 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I’m sure QB and free agency were big topics.  Ballard needs to be more open to signing free-agents.  I’m sure he’s seething a bit too since he didn’t want Wentz in the first place nor did he want TY back.  I think it will be the last time he gets talked into players he doesn’t want by Frank.   Irsay, was responsible for going over Ballard’s head for TY. 

How do you know this?

If we didn’t sign TY, what fa WR was Ballard going to bring in to make a difference? 

If we didn’t get Wentz, were we going to go with Eason and aim at #1 overall draft pick?

9 hours ago, coming on strong said:

most of the roster spots are from average guys who will make minimum like turray lewis AQM   mo  pascal

True, but some of those 30 are also taking spots at positions where we need a clear upgrade - meaning more money has to be spent.

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Umm yiu still need 53 players. 15 dead cap and 40 mil for Rodgers is 65 million. We don’t have it and we don’t have draft picks. Imagine trading 2 ones for Rodgers and he plays one year lol.

Ah, Math.... you old devil you, tis a cruel mistress.

10 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Where  does Jason think the 40million for these guys is going to come from lmao. So irresponsible to put this out there.

If you are getting a QB of that level making the money work is the easiest thing. There are a thousand different ways to make the salary fit within the salary cap. Sure it might hurt later and compromise your ability to spend down the road, but it can be done and it can be done easily. 

So after sleeping on it, I think the most likely outcomes to any “changes” will be a multitude of smaller changes. With the largest of these being a change in either OC, DC, or both, or Reich handing over play calling or a shift away from a strict reliance analysics. An extreme change might be letting Wentz go and eating the dead money, but I’m not so sure we will do it. Or even can do it.  Other than top level changes, that’s pretty much all the Colts can do

i do not see a complete roster blow up like in 2012. Our guys are too good and too young. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Nobody is talking about watching 2-3 more years of mediocre garbage at quarterback.  No one.

Wentz has one more guaranteed year, then he can come off the books with zero financial hit.    We traded a 1 and a 3 for a two-year marriage.   After that, all bets are off.   But he looks impossible to trade, who would want him?   And we’d get very little in return. 

I think odds are better than 50-50 Wentz is back for one more year.   

Isn't this what Philly thought last year? Really makes you wonder how we couldn't get him for less. I can't imagine there was anyone else interested in him (although I honestly don't remember). 

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

How many times do we have to play russian roulette with QBs? Give Wentz 1 more full off season and load up on some pass catchers and get some secondary help to go with it. What we need to see is a high floor for the passing game with improved mechanics from Wentz, improved chemistry and play calling given up to Brady. This team is clearly a double digit win team if they did not dig early season holes and finished games. That would truly be a knee jerk reaction without seeing how it plays out. I do think Ballard and Reich will vouch for that 1 more year of rope given to Wentz.

My answer to this has always been - as many times as you need until you get your guy. Settling for mediocrity at the most important position is wasting our 7 pro-bowlers prime years. When you don't have a franchise QB, there are no easy answers. There are no guarantees that you will hit the next time. But there is a guarantee you will continue to have subpar QB play if you stick with subpar QB. 

We needed to go get a QB in the draft last year. Now we have no 1st and have very limited options. IMO if you stick with Wentz you are doing it with the express acknowledgement that next year is yet another year you will be treading water in mediocrity. If you have to stay with Wentz for next year, which is the most likely scenario , IMO you need to start building this team for the next guy. Get weapons, find a LT, etc. so when you go for QB in 2023 or 2024 the new guy will have the chance to succeed in an environment where the team is built to help his transition to the league. 

2 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

I'm not sure about Ballard but mainly because judging GMs can be a complete fools errand, very subjective, very flaky.

Reich? Top 10 easily for me. The last two games were an eyesore but when you see the plays the offense (QB) left behind, not sure how i put it all on the HC. (Granted the ultimate responsibility is his because that's the business and indeed it was him who went to bat for this garbage QB).

Wentz? The stats that count show him as a middle pack QB. I think he's top 20. The problem with him is some weeks he looks like a top 10 QB but there's no in between....the other end of the spectrum with him is when is isnt looking top 10, he looks worse like a Tolzien level QB. 

I always said CB never stopped looking at QBs, i think he drafts another this year and yet another next year, Wentz is a stop gap. This GM has to start producing though, with the HC, you have more metrics that can be traced directly to him, DVOA etc....with the GM, well it's much harder.

Ballard has us some very good talent. He really does and he’s coupled that with good depth players. The Cards game is a big case example of that but we saw it throughout the year.

now, I think we have a coach who can design plays and get the players to buy in. We saw that time and again. That said, we are missing three things from Reich. Ability to rapidly adjust the game plan to what isn’t working and finding what does, head scratching personnel usage at key times, and a rather predictable offense. All of these I feel can be made with one simple change. Turning over the play calling duties to a qualified OC. Let Reich and the OC develop the plan together but let the OC handle the plays. 

At QB, Wentz needs help, not only at WR and TE but in his mechanics and most importantly his mental awareness. Bottom line is, he holds the ball too long and then panics. His tendency is to try for big gains instead of taking the easy, 2-3 yards . Then when we’re backed against the wall at 3rd and Long, Everyone in the word knows we’re throwing , he dumps it off short. Makes no sense

25 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Isn't this what Philly thought last year? Really makes you wonder how we couldn't get him for less. I can't imagine there was anyone else interested in him (although I honestly don't remember). 

Supposedly we were in a bidding war with the 49ers and another afc team I believe 

8 minutes ago, WentzinRome said:

It is certainly fun to envision Rodgers as the new QB though ;)

He will fit well with the rest of our anti-vaxers. At least he's actually good.

35 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Yes, but now the rest of the league has one more year of watching him play mediocre football and shrink in the worst possible moments with the coach who was supposed to be his savior. Also, last year was a strong QB draft so a lot of the teams that might have been desperate for QB, now either have one or have a young guy they are invested in for the time being. 

I really don't think Wentz is going anywhere. Plus, if he did who would you get? Watson and Rodgers are pipe dreams. They just going to eat $15M in dead money? I still believe he can be good for this team, but changes definitely need to be made in order to make that happen and get the dude some help. He himself has to work on actually being consistent. 

Offense:

1) Send Wentz to Tom House (entire off season if need be) and correct his mechanics. High throws and poor accuracy have got to stop. 

2) Take away play calling from Reich (let him be head coach) and get a real OC.

Reich is way too vanilla and stubborn in his play calling to allow him to do the same exact thing 3 years in a row. Reich can help draw up plays, but someone else is calling plays in game. Install an Offense that isn't allergic to slants, wheel routes, quick passing game, dump off passes to RB's (that are great in space). 

3) Get some real WR's that are actually good not named MPJ so Wentz stops force feeding him 

4) Get Wentz a pair of actual good TE's 

Defense: 

1) I'm not sold on Flus. I think we've seen enough of him to know that the 5-10 yd cushions aren't going away.

2) The whole rushing 4 ain't getting it done. The pass rush is pathetic. The only legit D-Lineman we have is Buckner and he wasn't drafted by the Colts. We will never go anywhere with this lack of pass rush

3) Should've never let Autry and maybe even Walker go 

4) The entire secondary needs attention. Rock has turned the corner, but gets hurt a bit. Rhodes is hurt quite a bit too, and getting older. Rodgers played well, but our safeties need addressed also. 

What qb were you going to "go get" in the draft last year? Wilson, Lance, Jones??? None of them have shown anything that they would be any better than Wentz. Sure Mills looks good at times, when the Texans are down 3 or 4 scores and the opponents are playing prevent. Again, we only won 1 super bowl in 14 years with Manning, do you really think we can win another any time soon without him?? The Rams made the super bowl with Jarad Goff at qb, but where is he now? Yea, that's right Goff sucks, Wentz is way better than Goff. And I know Wentz played really bad down the stretch but it would be foolish to give up more draft capital for another qb. What happened this season has happened numerous times these past 48 years.

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

My answer to this has always been - as many times as you need until you get your guy. Settling for mediocrity at the most important position is wasting our 7 pro-bowlers prime years. When you don't have a franchise QB, there are no easy answers. There are no guarantees that you will hit the next time. But there is a guarantee you will continue to have subpar QB play if you stick with subpar QB. 

We needed to go get a QB in the draft last year. Now we have no 1st and have very limited options. IMO if you stick with Wentz you are doing it with the express acknowledgement that next year is yet another year you will be treading water in mediocrity. If you have to stay with Wentz for next year, which is the most likely scenario , IMO you need to start building this team for the next guy. Get weapons, find a LT, etc. so when you go for QB in 2023 or 2024 the new guy will have the chance to succeed in an environment where the team is built to help his transition to the league. 

Doing it that way (1 more year with Wentz) gives us more support for any QB that leads the team and gives us answers on Wentz if he can get the job done with weapons added. Stability of system and support does matter at the QB position.

Archived