Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay on the season and changes

Restinpeacesweetchloe

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, MPStack said:

Simply making a point to the Wentz haters. Thanks! 

Them getting him and him not working out doesn’t mean Wentz isn’t still to blame too.  Wentz can be bad and Ballard and Frank can have made a mistake getting him.  Both can be true.

There wasn’t just one problem the last two weeks.  It was collapse across the board and pretty much everyone can take a bite out of that blame apple.

So what are the Colts going to do to address it?  That’s the big question.  Irsay dropped the first domino today when he said there will be changes but it won’t be Ballard and Frank.  I think it starts with the coaches in the coming days, clearly not all of them but I’d be shocked if this coaching staff returns everyone next year.  I expect player changes as well.  Will one of them be the QB?  I’d say the odds say no but I think it’s pretty clear with what’s coming out in the last 24 hours around the Colts it’s not set in stone Wentz will be the starter next year.  Time will tell if that happens and what other changes happen.  

One thing I took from Irsay is that he’s not happy, and nor should he be, and he’s not going to sit by and just let the status quo rule the day.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am actually not a Wentz hater. I started to like him after a few games but the way he played yesterday is unacceptable against a 2 win team with the playoffs on the line. Just saying what most people are thinking.

I have been a,Wentz fan. However  I saw his post games remarks and I thought he came across as very blah. Like taking no blame and  that was very alarming to me. He also seemed like  he didn't care. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am actually not a Wentz hater. I started to like him after a few games but the way he played yesterday is unacceptable against a 2 win team with the playoffs on the line. Just saying what most people are thinking.

Bottom line, is Wentz needs WR and TE help asap. His supporting cast sucked and the O-Line has regressed. 6 sacks yesterday. 

That’s on the GM to fix. Ballard’s got his work cut out for him. 

No doubt Wentz needs to play better and I’m not giving up on him after one season or the FO and coaches.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I have been a,Wentz fan. However  I saw his post games remarks and I thought he came across as very blah. Like taking no blame and  that was very alarming to me. He also seemed like  he didn't care. 

I have seen that too. I won't waiver on saying it would be tough finding a QB that is better as of now because he is a QB that is Top 15. Without a very good or great QB, this is going to be tough to win anything big though.

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Bottom line, is Wentz needs WR and TE help asap. His supporting cast sucked and the O-Line has regressed. 6 sacks yesterday. 

No doubt Wentz needs to play better and I’m not giving up on him after one season or the FO and coaches.

We do need another WR that can be a solid #2 no doubt. That would help Wentz. Pittman is good.

12 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Who’s accountable for trading for the wrong QB? Wentz?

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Reich for convincing Ballard and for Ballard agreeing if that is how it went down.

Call me crazy, but I'm not yet convinced that Wentz is the wrong QB for us. If he reverts to the turnover machine he was last year in Philly, or misses considerable time due to injury, I'll  likely change my mind on that issue.

A Hall of Fame quarterback is a tough act to follow, this & most other fan bases know that all to well. Carson is smart enough to know that this is his final opportunity as a starter in this league, and I think he'll step up his game next season, especially if we get him some time in the pocket & a new "toy" or 2 to play with.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

I wonder would we keep?

Kelly

Fisher

Glowinski

Reed

Pryor

Pinter

Nelson

if they all regressed or OL Coach or who we replace to get better? or maybe line is not issue QB instead of throwing it away take a sack?

3 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Call me crazy, but I'm not yet convinced that Wentz is the wrong QB for us. If he reverts to the turnover machine he was last year in Philly, or misses considerable time due to injury, I'll  likely change my mind on that issue.

A Hall of Fame quarterback is a tough act to follow, this & most other fan bases know that all to well. Carson is smart enough to know that this is his final opportunity as a starter in this league, and I think he'll step up his game next season, especially if we get him some time in the pocket & a new "toy" or 2 to play with.

In no way do I think he is the wrong QB for us. We can win with him but have to put a better receiving core around him. My mind gripe has been he played liked doo doo yesterday against a bad team with a lot on the line. Peyton nor Luck or Rivers would lose that game.

1 hour ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Frank said he coached Wentz harder than in the past yet he still ignored check downs and in weeks 17 and 18 was still doing back handed and left handed shovel passes.  Pretty much confirms he’s a player who isn’t coachable. He processes what he sees on the field slowly so will resort to the same mistakes over and over. He’s slow pre and post snap. 

I agree with you. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In no way do I think he is the wrong QB for us. We can win with him but have to put a better receiving core around him. My mind gripe has been he played liked doo doo yesterday against a bad team with a lot on the line. Peyton nor Luck or Rivers would lose that game.

Rivers probably would've beaten the Raiders last week to clinch, (he's historically done exceptionally well against them) and yesterday we may have been resting key starters, so who knows?

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was Curtis Painter bad yesterday.  Seriously midway through the fourth quarter the tv guys pointed he had completed two passes beyond the line of scrimmage.  Everything else was behind it.  You can’t win any football game with your QB playing like that.  

What I saw the last two weeks with Wentz is a QB who can’t handle pressure, both in terms of the pass rush but more concerning the big moment.  I think it gets to him and he panics and reverts back to bad habits.  I don’t know if that’s correctable or not but I sure hope so.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

He was Curtis Painter bad yesterday.  Seriously midway through the fourth quarter the tv guys pointed he had completed two passes beyond the line of scrimmage.  Everything else was behind it.  You can’t win any football game with your QB playing like that.  

What I saw the last two weeks with Wentz is a QB who can’t handle pressure, both in terms of the pass rush but more concerning the big moment.  I think it gets to him and he panics and reverts back to bad habits.  I don’t know if that’s correctable or not but I sure hope so.  

I called him Pagel yesterday haha . I think he is our QB next year so we have to hope. Yesterday has me skeptical. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I called him Pagel yesterday haha . I think he is our QB next year so we have to hope. Yesterday has me skeptical. 

That’s where I am at.  I think the fact they pretty much have an out in his contract after next year and he did some good things this year combined with the fact they are keeping the coach who believed in him means he will be back.  Still I am very skeptical that Wentz is the guy and by the sound of it so is Irsay (not just Wentz but the guys who gambled on Wentz) and I’d be willing to bet Frank is at least tied to Wentz if not Ballard too.  If Wentz doesn’t perform next year it’s possible all three are gone as a result.

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

dont all teams get like 200 mill this off season tho

$208.25m.   The increase is roughly $26m.  But we have a somewhat long list of free agents we’d like to bring back.  That will eat up most of that money. 

Currently we have roughly $56 mill to spend.  There are several contracts that could be restructured to increase that.

Possible candidates include Wentz , Buckner, Stewart.  

Everyone seems to like talking about the OL. A bad OL coach is not always to blame when protection is bad. We have some of the most technically sound OL in the league. Playcalling, TE's, RB, and QB are all responsible for pass protection. Go and watch some new england games and watch what they do with their TEs and backs compared to how we use ours. It is night and day. Also, it is not due to a lack of abilitiy concerning our backs. I have seen stellar pass blocking from both JT and Hines when they were allowed to be in the right position. Our TE running behind the line and trying to smack the opposite DE got predictable, the announcers were talking about it non stop. This was a unit issue, not any individual coach. Were people blaming the OL coach when Pinter came in and dominated? No, they just said we are lucky to have him and kept it puhing to the next topic. Short term memory on this forum recently. 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Cutting Wentz after his first year after everything that happened in camp to me sounds like a desperate move. That sounds like a knee jerk move that will end up costing this team dearly.

It's a knee jerk move that will end up hurting your heart dearly

Rodgers isn't retiring after this season, nor anytime soon

Fairly certain Adams and Aaron still want out of GB and unless they've had a change of heart, that's been made apparent

AR is not a terrible guy and he's nowhere near the jerk of the league

Nobody has to agree with him, hell nobody has to even listen to him

There's likely hundreds of players that probably feel the same way as he does

Fans should be worried about the product put out on Sundays

Rodgers is about to win the MVP trophy at 38, why would he retire when he's playing the best football of his life

He's a top 2 QB in the league if not #1, he's better than Wentz, and he's proven he can carry a team on his back

If you have the ability to somehow acquire ARod or Wilson, you pull the trigger

If you'd rather watch 2-3 years of medicore garbage at quarterback, miss the playoffs and/or be one and done over elite play at the position and championship contention, be my guest

Wentz is available to play as in Madden if you're that attached at the hip

3 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I hate to break it to you, but if Irsay really wants to go all in and get an elite quarterback there absolutely is ways to work the salary cap so that we would be able to afford whoever that person is. No we wouldn't have to gut the team either. Not saying thats whats happening for sure but those are the facts.

No.   Those are definitely NOT facts.  Those are opinions presented as facts.   Sorry.   Just calling them facts doesn’t make them facts.  

You actually have to present facts to prove your point.   You’re entitled to whatever opinion you want.   But stating those are facts is clearly wrong.  

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

It's a knee jerk move the will end up hurting your heart dearly.

Him and Adams want out of GB, that's all that's been made apparent

Rodgers is winning the MVP trophy, he's a top 2 QB in the league, he's better than Wentz, and he can carry a team on his back

If you'd rather watch 2-3 years of medicore garbage at quarterback, miss the playoffs and/or be one and done over elite play at the position and championship contention, be my guest

Actually more recent reports makes it sound like the Packers are mending fences with Rodgers and he might very well be staying put.

2 minutes ago, tvturner said:

It's a knee jerk move the will end up hurting your heart dearly.

Him and Adams want out of GB, that's all that's been made apparent

Rodgers is winning the MVP trophy, he's a top 2 QB in the league, he's better than Wentz, and he can carry a team on his back

Nobody is talking about watching 2-3 more years of mediocre garbage at quarterback.  No one.

Wentz has one more guaranteed year, then he can come off the books with zero financial hit.    We traded a 1 and a 3 for a two-year marriage.   After that, all bets are off.   But he looks impossible to trade, who would want him?   And we’d get very little in return. 

I think odds are better than 50-50 Wentz is back for one more year.   

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Nobody is talking about watching 2-3 more years of mediocre garbage at quarterback.  No one.

Wentz has one more guaranteed year, then he can come off the books with zero financial hit.    We traded a 1 and a 3 for a two-year marriage.   After that, all bets are off.   But he looks impossible to trade, who would want him?   And we’d get very little in return. 

I truly don't think there's going to be a QB change until after next season

But if there's an option to get Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers, you don't hesistate

Wentz will eventually get replaced by a rookie if he stays past this offseason

And I'd much rather have Wilson or Rodgers than a CW or a rookie

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would honestly say he will be our QB at a 80%  rate unless Irsay just does something wild haha .

3 hours ago, yankeeclipper said:

Glad that Jim had meeting last night with  Ballard and Reich.  That was a humiliating loss.  Worse game of the year for the Colts.  I doubt that this team is going to trade or cut Wentz. I see no way we get Rogers and I doubt Wilson is coming to Indy. Watson's situation is a big question mark and Colts will not trade away future with a QB with an uncertain future.   I would not blame Isray  if he is upset about players not getting  vaccinated.   COVID played havoc with roster at end of the season and most of this was avoidable.  We got lucky against Cardinals as team played tough with depleted roster. It caught up to them in last 2 games where team was lethargic and had no fight in them.

I sense they had candid conversation on weaknesses at  receiver slots (wide receiver and tight end), lack of depth in secondary,  poor pass rush,  and  inconsistent play by OL with pass protection (particularly last 2 games) and Wentz's  offensive struggles.  I  think he probably probed on needed changes with offensive scheme and how we can build an offense that plays to Wentz's strengths. There will be roster changes mostly with guys like Doyle and Hilton who retire and others like decisions not to resign  Pascal and Rhodes.  They will  restructure some contracts to have more cap room and they will look to prioritize  key Free Agents   to fill holes  and use draft to get best available players at other positions that they cannot fill through FA market. 

I think Isray is a good owner. He has a good GM and I think Reich is a good coach. They will likely make some coaching changes to improve in areas that need to be improved. stay tuned. This loss stings. We should be in playoffs although I thought we would not go deep into playoffs with holes in secondary and  receiver.

heckuva post!   Thanks for making it!  

You should post more often.    :thmup:

:colts:

I think the way this team ended the season pushed Jim to realize his hope for a second SB is fading fast.  Building a team through the draft is great if you have the time, but time is not on Jim's side, and he knows it.  I think he realizes Frank, although a great guy, is not going to get us another SB, I think he might be history.  I think he keeps Ballard with the understanding he forgets the building through the draft plan and starts loading up on proven FA's.

Not sure what to think of the commitment to Reich and Ballard.  IMO they have kind of messed up pretty good so far.  Some good things, yes.  Wentz is the big mistake imho, just bloody awful.  Everybody is talking poor WR core, and it is weak, however; you could have Reggie Wayne or Marvin Harrison in there and they would have bad numbers when your QB is playing/throwing like a caveman.

2 hours ago, sb2001 said:

I think we keep Wentz, but we can draft someone. It would be costly if we move up, but I think the boss man wants to win NOW!!!  He’s not getting any younger. Wentz possibly could have a good season next year. If he doesn’t break 4 ankles.

We’re not trading up into the first round, especially this year for a quarterback.  This is a horrible quarterback draft class.  Just because we need one doesn’t mean there’s one worth drafting. 

Ballard is willing to trade up, but only small moves.   Like trading a 5 to move up 3 spots in the second to take Taylor.  But he’s repeatedly said trading up into the first is both expensive (picks) and risky (bust factor).  

13 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I think the way this team ended the season pushed Jim to realize his hope for a second SB is fading fast.  Building a team through the draft is great if you have the time, but time is not on Jim's side, and he knows it.  I think he realizes Frank, although a great guy, is not going to get us another SB, I think he might be history.  I think he keeps Ballard with the understanding he forgets the building through the draft plan and starts loading up on proven FA's.

I think Jim is drinking a glass of Scotch somewhere wondering what the hell happened, I am lmao . 

Archived