Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rank The MVP Candidates

sb41champs

It's been a LONG time since a non-QB has won the "NFL MVP Award" - but - this year there are several quality candidates in the conversation.

Rank these 6 players in terms of where you think they should be in the MVP conversation:

WR Cooper Kupp

RB Jonathan Taylor

OL T J Watt

QB Aaron Rodgers

QB Josh Allen

QB Joe Burrow

1) Jonathan Taylor -- had Rodgers not missed a game, I'd be tempted to put him here (unlike the sportswriter who won't vote for him b/c he's not vaxxed, I don't care about that... he could have missed a game with his toe injury instead of covid issues and I'd feel the same way).  I'm probably biased here, as JT is a Colt and I'm a Colts fan and watch all their games, whereas I typically only watch highlights of the other guys unless they're playing us or on TV for primetime games.  JT is responsible for a ridiculous amount of our offensive production.  Yes, our OL is strong, but JT's been a beast even when they've been banged up.  JT's got great YPC, total yards (until lately, he's been pretty good as a receiving back as well), TDs, he's a great teammate and he's delivered consistently and in the clutch (i.e., putting the Patriots game away against a fully stacked box and ensuring we have a legit shot at the playoffs).

2) Aaron Rodgers -- I know his yards are behind Brady and Burrow and he's 5 TDs behind Brady, but Rodgers doesn't turn the ball over (4 INTs to Brady's 12 and Burrow 14) and his decision-making and game management is unmatched.  I feel like he's more valuable to his team than Brady/Burrow are to their teams as he's doing more with slighty less talent (yes Davante Adams is a freak, but Rodgers has been playing behind a makeshift OL and after WR 1, the other 2 QBs have more talent around them).

3) Brady -- he's putting up ridiculous numbers again and I wouldn't be shocked or upset if he got the MVP, I just think JT and Rodgers edge him out.

4) Kupp -- unreal receiving numbers, and I like the guy.  I imagine if I watched more Rams games, I could make a similar argument for him as I did for JT.

5) Watt -- great sack numbers.  Doesn't look like his team will even be getting into the playoffs though and I have a hard time believing Watt has done enough to almost single-handedly win games the way the guys above him have.

6) Burrow -- he's got a heckuva a lot of talent around him with Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Mixon, etc.. but he's orchestrating quite the offensive show there.  He keeps quiet and doesn't bring a lot of attention to himself, but he's really balling out and having a great year... that said, I think Matthew Stafford and Justin Herbert are having pretty much equally great years with Mahommes, Josh Allen and Dak slightly behind them.. not saying Burrow isn't having an MVP 'type' year, I just don't think he challenges Rodgers or Brady enough and hasn't distinguished himself enough from the other QBs I mentioned above to actually garner MVP votes.

4 hours ago, sb41champs said:

It's been a LONG time since a non-QB has won the "NFL MVP Award" - but - this year there are several quality candidates in the conversation.

Rank these 6 players in terms of where you think they should be in the MVP conversation:

WR Cooper Kupp

RB Jonathan Taylor

OL T J Watt

QB Aaron Rodgers

QB Josh Allen

QB Joe Burrow

Here is the list

Aaron Rodgers

It’s really going to be either Aaron Rodgers or JT. Numbers wise, it’s really a two horse race between those two. That said, it’s much more difficult to get the numbers JT does vs Rodgers. So I think if there was a year a RB was gonna take it, it’d be this year. But we’ll see

1. Rodgers - he'll have over 4k when it's all said and done, and he's got a 35-4 TD/INT ration.... Hard to beat that.
  2. Brady - will have 5K+ and 40 TDs...... that's crazy, but I like AR's resume a bit better.
  3. JT - Love him, but he'd need 2K to be in the conversation IMO. The 5.5ypc is pretty killer though. Had we not forgotten about him earlier this year in a few games, he might be sitting pretty to break the 2K mark this week. He needs 266 yards, which is not impossible, but had he just played more in 2 games, he's likely be in a spot only needing about 150ish... which is very doable against Jax.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:
  1. Rodgers - he'll have over 4k when it's all said and done, and he's got a 35-4 TD/INT ration.... Hard to beat that.
  2. Brady - will have 5K+ and 40 TDs...... that's crazy, but I like AR's resume a bit better.
  3. JT - Love him, but he'd need 2K to be in the conversation IMO. The 5.5ypc is pretty killer though. Had we not forgotten about him earlier this year in a few games, he might be sitting pretty to break the 2K mark this week. He needs 266 yards, which is not impossible, but had he just played more in 2 games, he's likely be in a spot only needing about 150ish... which is very doable against Jax.

Is the MVP announced before the SB with the votes cast AFTER the championship games?

OR

Is the MVP announced before the SB with the votes BEFORE the playoffs start?

If that is the case, JT might have 2 more games to make his case for MVP. Based on numbers, however, Rodgers has to be the leader. 

The loss last week kills any chance of Taylor winning MVP. I would've used the argument that we were 10-0 when he goes over 100 Yards but he went over 100 last week and we lost. Rodgers has the Packers with the best record in the league and has 35 TD's to only 4 INT's. He is my MVP. Taylor is 2nd, Tom is 3rd. Taylor has had a career year luckily for us, without him we would not make the playoffs IMO but without Rodgers the Packers would stink. 

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

If Henry didn’t win MVP last year, no way Taylor does it this year. Rodgers is MVP

Yep, Henry had over 2000 yards in 16 games last season and did not win it.   

He also would have finished ahead of Taylor had he not got injured.   

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

If Henry didn’t win MVP last year, no way Taylor does it this year. Rodgers is MVP

Henry had more rushing yards, but Taylor has more receiving yards and still has over 2k scrimmage yards in 16 games. Plus 20TDs to Henry's 17.

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

Yep, Henry had over 2000 yards in 16 games last season and did not win it.   

He also would have finished ahead of Taylor had he not got injured.   

That's because Henry was on pace for almost 500 carries on the season.

14 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Henry had more rushing yards, but Taylor has more receiving yards and still has over 2k scrimmage yards in 16 games. Plus 20TDs to Henry's 17.

That's because Henry was on pace for almost 500 carries on the season.

Henry was rushing for 5.4 yards a carry.    Taylor bests him with 5.5 yards per carry.

In total yards, they probably would have been close this season.   I don't know that Taylors 21.4 receiving yards would do much more than Henry's 19.3 receiving yards.

Looks like Peytons status as the leagues only 4 time mvp is in trouble, id love to see JT get it but I think hes too far behind

I actually like tom better than aaron now, TB has outproduced him but with more mistakes too.  If i had to pick one to lead my team im going with TB12, AR comes off as a huge jerk most of the time imo 

I was actually waiting to see what happened last week with Kupp. If he had a monster 150+ with 1-2 TDs…he would have vaunted to #1, which would have put him easily on track to get the record for catches and yards (extra game of course).

And he can still do that as well. But last week was really a chance to make that noise. 

But I’m pretty sure Rodgers will win it anyways. Truth be told, I don’t even really want JT playing that much against JAC if they can get a big lead…save those legs for the playoffs.

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

But I’m pretty sure Rodgers will win it anyways. Truth be told, I don’t even really want JT playing that much against JAC if they can get a big lead…save those legs for the playoffs.

This! 

16 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I can never put a WR in mvp consideration because that position relies so much on the QB. Not so much a RB so Taylor I can see. It will be Rodgers or Brady.

But it was a new QB to Kupp. In a year where QB play has been somewhat depressed, if a WR had broke single-season yardage and reception records (arguably the best WR season of all time),  along with gaudy TD numbers, he would get my vote. 

RB has things it relies on as well…namely an elite OL that can create huge holes. ThoughTaylor has been elite after contact too.

JMO. But it just boils down to what we have seen before. And if a WR had a truly historical season, under the right circumstances, they should be able to win. 

I would argue the same thing for TE as well. But we have seen that yet. I think Gronk was on his way to that type of season before injuries.

But it’s probably always going to be a QB.

35 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But it was a new QB to Kupp. In a year where QB play has been somewhat depressed, if a WR had broke single-season yardage and reception records (arguably the best WR season of all time),  along with gaudy TD numbers, he would get my vote. 

RB has things it relies on as well…namely an elite OL that can create huge holes. ThoughTaylor has been elite after contact too.

JMO. But it just boils down to what we have seen before. And if a WR had a truly historical season, under the right circumstances, they should be able to win. 

I would argue the same thing for TE as well. But we have seen that yet. I think Gronk was on his way to that type of season before injuries.

But it’s probably always going to be a QB.

A WR requires the QB to get it to them with a good throw at the right time. Cupp or Taylor will win offensive player of the year.

11 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

A WR requires the QB to get it to them with a good throw at the right time. Cupp or Taylor will win offensive player of the year.

And a running back requires a good handoff from QB.Player And a good O line.

And a QB requires someone reliable to throw to.

And a TE requires a QB to throw to him.

A Kicker requires someone to hold the Ball.

We could do this all day.

Because its a Team Sport.

QB is involved in every Single play.  They get the most Action and almost always the most important Team Player.  And yes, therefore the MVP is more often than not the QB.

I look for it to be Rodgers this year.  Joe Burrow has had a great year too.  Maybe Comeback player?

On 1/6/2022 at 4:36 PM, sb41champs said:

WR Cooper Kupp

RB Jonathan Taylor

OL T J Watt

QB Aaron Rodgers

QB Josh Allen

QB Joe Burrow

My vote:

1.  Taylor

2.  Rodgers

3.  Burrow

4.  Kupp

5.  Watt

6.  Allen

how I think the vote will go:

1.  Rodgers

It doesn’t matter for anyone else.  I am not sure if any of the other will pick of a vote.  Maybe someone in LA will vote for Kupp or something but as Chappell pointed out on twitter Indy doesn’t have a vote so I am not sure how many if any will vote for Taylor.  

Archived