Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 12 Reich Grievances Thread (MEGA MERGE)

Rally5

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

This is somewhat misleading let's look at the drives.

1st Drive: Run for no gain, Run for 4 yards, Incompletion

2nd Drive: Sack, 8 yard pass, incompletion (Probably should of been run)

3rd Drive: 4 yard Pass, Run for -2 yards, Incompletion

4th Drive: Run for no gain, Fumble by Pascal

Overall there's really only one play I would say should have been a run and that was a third and short in the second drive. Although since only 1 run had positive yards I can understand why they decided to pass the ball. 

What in those first 4 drives told you that the pass was the way to go?  It was equally as ineffective. And that (probably should have been a run) definitely should have been a run.  Carson has killed us on choosing to pass on 3rd & short when we run the RPO this season.  We extend that drive and maybe we can get into a rhythm earlier and get JT on track?  We’ll never know though because we didn’t execute and extend the drive on a 3rd & 1…

Now go to the next drive (drive 5).  Pass to Taylor.  Run to Taylor “off tackle”.  Then playaction bomb to Dulin (off of featuring Taylor).  Next drive they schemed & mixed it up well.  I’m sure the success of drive 5 helped drive 6.  Got them off balance.  Unfortunately it also got us off balance & got Carson thinking he had all the answers in his arm that day.  When the end results clearly show he didn’t and hasn’t yet this season when he’s had to throw it too much.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Falling in love with people you like will not cut it when trying to win championships. If Irsay can’t get over his love fest, the Colts may never get to the top of the mountain.

Thinking that the fan base actually knows more than the GM and the Owner almost never cuts it.   

You may or may not respect what Irsay thinks.   But betting against Ballard seems a Fools Errand to me.   But you and others might think differently.    So be it. 

56 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The thing i find remarkable about this is you have totally ignored what your eyes showed you even on TV. You don't have to wait to see the all 22 to know the Bucs were stacking against the run. Bruce Arians is a braggart but he wasn't wrong, his team commits to making sure NO ONE runs on them. Were you asleep in the first half when the Colts showed up with the intention to run and got shut down till they passed?

You complain about the consecutive pass attempts but that's a nonsense complaint. When the Bucs commit so heavily to stopping the run, it's foolish not to take the pass where you obviously have the schematic advantage. 

I'm sorry, but anyone complaining about how we needed to run more should never be allowed near an actual winning team. There are things to nail frank reich and the coaches for eg we made too many mental mistakes, from turnovers to drops, too many, but schematically he coached a beautiful game, again.

We scored 24 points off of drives where we ran Taylor at least once. Had ZERO turnovers during those drives. 

We scored 7 points off of drives where we didn’t run Taylor at all. Had 2 turnovers during those drives. 

See Taylor doesn’t have to have 10 ypc to be effective. He’s our best weapon and teams have learned to respect that. Running him opens up the pass. We HAVE to keep the defense honest. When you pass 20-something consecutive times the defense adjusts and that’s when turnovers happen. 

We KNEW the Bucs were going to stack the box to contain Taylor. We KNEW it and Frank was right to try an exploit it by passing. He out-coached Arians in the first half. Then we he made the mistake of not forcing the Bucs to stick to their strategy by running Taylor every now and then so we could keep exploiting that strategy. Then they adjusted and forced turnovers. Frank out-coached himself in the second half by not sticking with the run even if we weren’t getting 5+ ypc. 

Keep the offense balanced and keep using our best player - it opens up the game for us. It’s that simple but too many people here don’t seem to realise it. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I didn't assume that. It was a Vs thing.

My comment clearly shows there is no comparison., 

A Vs thing? I’m honestly not sure what you are saying, not being sarcastic/mean/funny or whatever. No comparison to what?

You said you would take Reich over Nagy…ok but that wasn’t the point of the thread.

You said Bill could do it and it be ok, which besides the fact that he doesn’t call plays…he has garnered enough respect to be able to get away with it.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thinking that the fan base actually knows more than the GM and the Owner almost never cuts it.   

You may or may not respect what Irsay thinks.   But betting against Ballard seems a Fools Errand to me.   But you and others might think differently.    So be it. 

The fan base isn't going against our GM and owner. Our GM and Owner are going against 31 other GMs and Owners. That's all that matters, that they outdraft, outcoach, and outplay 31 other teams. The fans can have their opinions, but it's not up to them to be smarter than the GM and Owner, it's up to the GM and Owner to make the playoffs and hopefully a SB, and we have 1 playoff win in 4 1/2 seasons with Ballard (3/12 with Reich), and the hiring of Grigson and Pagano wasn't good either before that, so until we actually get into the playoffs consistently and be a SB contender, the fans have a right to question the FO.

P.S. I think we have a good team, I just think we have some extreme weaknesses at WR (besides Pittman), and the secondary is bad. Reich is a poor playcaller that is occassionally good, and reverts back to his old habits every other game. We very rarely beat teams better than us, we blow leads, and we aren't aggressive on defense. We don't spend in FA and it's going to be hard to improve in the draft without a first round pick. We also will be short on cap because we are paying our players. Hard to trust in the FO when you factor in all that and have to rely only on our development to get better. 

I thought we'd lose yesterday, and even bet on the Bucs to win, but it's still infuriationg to see us ahead by 10 and then just completely abandon the run with the best RB in the NFL. One step forward Vs the Bills, two steps back Vs the Bucs and another blown lead.

That long gap with no JT was noticeable. He was being stuffed early, but it only takes one with him and he gives you 6. The passing game was working, but they should have gotten their run game going off of it sooner. Carson was pretty good, but having him throw it that many times is inviting disaster. A lot of mistakes, all contributed to the L.

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ok. But read the op…he wasn’t trying

to say he wanted to hire Nagy. You said you’d rather have Reich than Nagy…you made it a VS thing….goodness. 

I pride myself as rarely getting caught without a good counterpoint. This is one of those times. Your logic is undefinable. 

Feel free to put me on ignore. That way we will be even. 

40 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We scored 24 points off of drives where we ran Taylor at least once. Had ZERO turnovers during those drives. 

We scored 7 points off of drives where we didn’t run Taylor at all. Had 2 turnovers during those drives. 

See Taylor doesn’t have to have 10 ypc to be effective. He’s our best weapon and teams have learned to respect that. Running him opens up the pass. We HAVE to keep the defense honest. When you pass 20-something consecutive times the defense adjusts and that’s when turnovers happen. 

We KNEW the Bucs were going to stack the box to contain Taylor. We KNEW it and Frank was right to try an exploit it by passing. He out-coached Arians in the first half. Then we he made the mistake of not forcing the Bucs to stick to their strategy by running Taylor every now and then so we could keep exploiting that strategy. Then they adjusted and forced turnovers. Frank out-coached himself in the second half by not sticking with the run even if we weren’t getting 5+ ypc. 

Keep the offense balanced and keep using our best player - it opens up the game for us. It’s that simple but too many people here don’t seem to realise it. 

Bucs 19- Pats 17. The Patriots passed 40 times. Ran 8 times. Strategically Frank Reich was spot on. We did not execute otherwise we'd have won. All this talk of honest defenses doesn't hold always, sometimes the plan is to keep the defense honest but not when they dont give a flip about honesty, not when they're cheating to stop your best guy and force you to go elsewhere. 

Lets think about it strategically, the Bucs cheat to stop the run, they expect you to pass and we did. From that point it's about executing. We did not. You dont run JT against that box just because you're keeping the defense honest. There was no honesty involved yesterday. Dont buy that jive the media are selling lol. The game was plain clear to see. Our plan, our adjustments, their plan, their adjustments. I liked our plan better but we didnt execute when we needed to on offense. We needed to be perfect and we were not. 

JT is our best player but running him would be fooling exactly no one. Carson needed to play better, our line needed to be better, receivers were shamed yesterday and needed to be better, we needed to execute better.

Quick note, i expect we can win out :D I have one game that i worry about, New England (even more than Arizona). And you'd better get ready to see us pass 30 straight times because they're going to come in and stack the box to stop the run. We'd better be ready to execute

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

People think well we still are not the dolphins or jets and think anyone who wants better is a spoiled fan .    Having success in the past does not mean you should should be content all the time because the jets are bad all the time .   

Who are those people?  And when you tell me who those people are can you tell me how you know what they think?  I don't know any fans that are good with losing or that say "well we won 15 years ago so that is good!"

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Frank has been tough to call for me but I'm strangely happier with him yesterday than I have been all year.

He had so many moments of absolute brilliance yesterday with play calls and scheme vs the defending champs and one of the best teams in the league. We had them on the ropes and there's no denying it. However, there were also moments where I think all of us were screaming for more runs and/or more balance and we let them off the hook.

In the end, I think its easier to find that balance with Frank than it is to find a playcaller that can find the moments of absolute excellence he brings. 

I’m on this…100% agree. I think Reich/Wentz we’re as good as a fan can ask for. Minus maybe a couple small things.

I don't think Frank should've ran that many pass plays in a row, it is bothersome. Having said that I think he was trying to keep Taylor fresh for the 4th Qtr which paid off when Taylor bulldozed his way for a TD to tie the game. Bucs have a very good run defense, some can say great even so I see Frank's thinking. I don't agree with the multiple passes in a row when he has a guy like Taylor but I am not going to bash him over it either.

19 minutes ago, groundnpound said:

That long gap with no JT was noticeable. He was being stuffed early, but it only takes one with him and he gives you 6. The passing game was working, but they should have gotten their run game going off of it sooner. Carson was pretty good, but having him throw it that many times is inviting disaster. A lot of mistakes, all contributed to the L.

If I remember i right part of that gap was the end of the half when we were in a two minute drill with not much time left. Let’s not act like Carson started making bad plays and started playing hero ball. That isn’t what happened.

Frank's play calling vs Nagy's play calling, night and day, and Frank has proven it with Luck, Rivers and now Wentz when he has a QB capable of making plays. This is not even apples to oranges, IMO, Frank is a much better play caller.

On D, Nagy and the Bears have enjoyed better talent, 100% certain on that, and football being the ultimate team sport, looking at our offensive metrics vs defensive metrics, our defensive metrics probably have influenced our W-L under Frank, more than the offensive metrics, speaking objectively. Gone are the days of having Freeney and Mathis to let loose with a lead (boy, could have used that yesterday), and Ballard has a lot to answer with his choice of Eberflus, the system and the players drafted.

It has been the case for a long time since our systems have had similarities since the Dungy days to the current Eberflus days. Our QB commits a turnover, pretty much a cinch the opposition scores a TD or FG. The opponent's QB commits a turnover, their D that tends to be more aggressive, gets the ball back without much damage more often than not. I saw it during the Peyton days and I am seeing it again under Frank Reich, it HAS TO BE the system that doesn't lend itself to enough elements of defensive aggression, IMO. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think Frank should've ran that many pass plays in a row, it is bothersome. Having said that I think he was trying to keep Taylor fresh for the 4th Qtr which paid off when Taylor bulldozed his way for a TD to tie the game. Bucs have a very good run defense, some can say great even so I see Frank's thinking. I don't agree with the multiple passes in a row when he has a guy like Taylor but I am not going to bash him over it either.

That my friend is a new take on the lack of running the ball. Based on that, Frank is a genius,:headspin:

2 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

We will never win big with FR. Not based on yesterday but his total body of work.

I disagree, he is a good coach. His record is good, I love his gambling on 4th downs as well. He also has had a different QB every season he has coached, no other coach has had to deal with that. Had Frank had Luck every year we would've been SB Champs by now or close to it. I don't get the hate but you are like many and think he should go. It is what it is. Who would you hire that is better? I ask this question to everyone that says we will never win big with Frank and nobody ever answers me haha 

1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

What in those first 4 drives told you that the pass was the way to go?  It was equally as ineffective. And that (probably should have been a run) definitely should have been a run.  Carson has killed us on choosing to pass on 3rd & short when we run the RPO this season.  We extend that drive and maybe we can get into a rhythm earlier and get JT on track?  We’ll never know though because we didn’t execute and extend the drive on a 3rd & 1…

Now go to the next drive (drive 5).  Pass to Taylor.  Run to Taylor “off tackle”.  Then playaction bomb to Dulin (off of featuring Taylor).  Next drive they schemed & mixed it up well.  I’m sure the success of drive 5 helped drive 6.  Got them off balance.  Unfortunately it also got us off balance & got Carson thinking he had all the answers in his arm that day.  When the end results clearly show he didn’t and hasn’t yet this season when he’s had to throw it too much.

Read my posts and you will find your answers about the first question. Granted I would have to go back and check that third down play but if they were playing the run heavy, then I am totally fine with doing a pass instead, because so far in the game we weren't winning at the line of scrimmage.

As for the next drives once again go to my other posts as I talk about them.

Lastly why is everything Wentz's fault to you like under your train of thought I bet you think he was shining a light in Hines face so it was Wentz's fault he muffed the punt lol

28 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I pride myself as rarely getting caught without a good counterpoint. This is one of those times. Your logic is undefinable. 

Feel free to put me on ignore. That way we will be even. 

Ahhh got ya, you wanted to post on a public forum but not be responded to or disagreed with. My bad, honest mistake.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree, he is a good coach. His record is good, I love his gambling on 4th downs as well. He also has had a different QB every season he has coached, no other coach has had to deal with that. Had Frank had Luck every year we would've been SB Champs by now or close to it. I don't get the hate but you are like many and think he should go. It is what it is. Who would you hire that is better? I ask this question to everyone that says we will never win big with Frank and nobody ever answers me haha 

So because a bunch of fans on a message board don’t know who should be hired as the next head coach we shouldn’t have an opinion on the head coach….makes sense.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

This not untrue.

But we lost the game because Tampa Bay scored 37 points.  THIRTY SEVEN.  Including scoring when they needed to, with a two minute drive that finished with a 28 yard TD run,

26 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If I remember i right part of that gap was the end of the half when we were in a two minute drill with not much time left. Let’s not act like Carson started making bad plays and started playing hero ball. That isn’t what happened.

Its in the details. 

Its like that 51/16 ratio vs TEN was skewed too because we were the team that had the ball with less than 2 minutes to go at the end of each half.  Scored pts too on each drive, IIRC.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its in the details. 

Its like that 51/16 ratio vs TEN was skewed too because we were the team that had the ball with less than 2 minutes to go at the end of each half.  Scored pts too on each drive, IIRC.

Taylor would of had more runs also if not for turnovers yesterday. If we could of got that 17 pt lead it would of been the Taylor show.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Taylor would of had more runs also if not for turnovers yesterday.

If Hines doesn't muff the punt, Pascal doesn't fumble, Wentz doesn't fumble, and Pitt doesn't get picked, how many runs would have been called after that?

Zero is the assumption, I guess.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If Hines doesn't muff the punt, Pascal doesn't fumble, Wentz doesn't fumble, and Pitt doesn't get picked, how many runs would have been called after that?

Zero is the assumption, I guess.

When you look at it that way you can easily see Taylor having 30 carries in this game. Not getting that 17 pt lead was huge.

7 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Taylor would of had more runs also if not for turnovers yesterday. If we could of got that 17 pt lead it would of been the Taylor show.

Need a 17 point lead to run the ball, with one the best lines and a mvp candidate running back…got it. But why then, did they run when they were down? Don’t worry, I dont expect a response 

38 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's only bothersome because you're conditioned to think so. Running would have been donating downs. We absolutely needed to be better in focus and execution. The Bucs put their nuts on the table and said "this is what we're doing, can you hold up your end of the bargain?" and we couldn't. They didnt hide it, they didnt disguise and we did the right thing. Even with pee trickling down our pants, we still had that game and possibly should have won it.....the number of consecutive passes doesnt mean anything. They played the same defense over and over and over, and when they stopped, we went to the run and gashed them. From what i saw on TV anyway.

Taylor is good but running him against a stacked box wasn't the way.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

How many Super Bowls have the Colts been in since Manning? They won’t play in another one if the love fest continues. This is a business and hard core decisions need to be made to win championships. New England made them with coaches and players and the Colts not so much. Do you think New England would have given 25 million to a player to retire and have a nice life? I think not!

Just now, Blueblood23 said:

How many Super Bowls have the Colts been in since Manning? They won’t play in another one if the love fest continues. This is a business and hard core decisions need to be made to win championships. New England made them with coaches and players and the Colts not so much. Do you think New England would have given 25 million to a player to retire and have a nice life? I think not!

So fire Reich and hire Nagy is your advice?

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

False. 

Yes. They stacked the box over and over. When you folks complain that we only passed and passed, then by the same token, you have to admit that their defense was set up to stack the box, over and over and over again. If you disagree they played the same defense, then by your logic, you have to admit that not all passing plays are equal.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Yes. They stacked the box over and over. When you folks complain that we only passed and passed, then by the same token, you have to admit that their defense was set up to stack the box, over and over and over again. If you disagree they played the same defense, then by your logic, you have to admit that not all passing plays are equal.

They didn’t play the same D. And the Colts countered the D front by going jumbo and it worked fantastically. 

Stacking the box is not playing the same D the entire game. Sorry. 

14 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Need a 17 point lead to run the ball, with one the best lines and a mvp candidate running back…got it. But why then, did they run when they were down? Don’t worry, I dont expect a response 

Just some context:

I think that last drive TB showed a different front.  Its what someone said, can't confirm.

There was some talk that we should have ran JT more simply because we were two scores ahead in the 3rd Q.  LOL.

I think some of the criticism is based upon the idea if we ran JT more, we would have not turned the ball over, moved the ball as good as we were during that 22 pass string, and maybe would have went three scores ahead.  I like balance too, but I don't see how those conclusions are formed.

Those 3Q drives were stopped by turnovers and penalties.  All three drives.  As much as people say that things would have been better if something that didn't happen did, like running JT; things would have also been better if we didn't get the turnovers or the penalties. 

It seems like some are accepting one fantasy outcome and discounting the other, IMO.

Archived