Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 12 Reich Grievances Thread (MEGA MERGE)

Rally5

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question why arent you all screaming when Reich sticks to the run when it’s working. What he did today in that third quarter is no difference when the run is working. You stick to what is working. You don’t bang your head against the wall and keep doing what isn’t working.

The pass game worked. We turned it over . That’s on the played not the coach.

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Question why arent you all screaming when Reich sticks to the run when it’s working. What he did today in that third quarter is no difference when the run is working. You stick to what is working. You don’t bang your head against the wall and keep doing what isn’t working.

For the 15th million time…lit obviously was not working. How many points in the 3rd again? How many passing in the 4th? 

I wait some more….

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think he needs to fire the guy that's supposed to tell him... lol...

He's said normally someone does. But they didn't because the passing game was working so well. I wonder if someone told him when it wasn't working so well, and we started running in the 4th.

Ha maybe. I need to go back and watch, I will soon, waiting for the replay to be available on game pass and Yellowstone is on…but it seems like I recall Frank and Wentz chatting prior to the running drive. I was hoping he was telling Wentz to stop checking out of plays (I assume that is the “kill kill” we hear)…. Maybe I’m giving Frank to much credit, but they did run that drive…if I’m remembering correctly.

5 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

You can say that for fact as it didn’t happen. It’s not like Pittman had been catching everything, and he wasn’t in the best position to begin with. 

Dear god.  Fine if he does everything the way he normally does and is expected to do that’s a touchdown if Winfield doesn’t make a heck of a play.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Dear god.  Fine if he does everything the way he normally does and is expected to do that’s a touchdown if Winfield doesn’t make a heck of a play.  

Lol ok. So it’s fine to say that he would have caught that and scored, but it’s not ok to say that running more would have helped or change the out come….I get it now.

4 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

For the 15th million time…lit obviously was not working. How many points in the 3rd again? How many passing in the 4th? 

I wait some more….

Yep, these folks don’t get it. When Peyton was with our 31st ranking rushing unit in 2009 that he took to the SB, and in 2015 with the Broncos, countless times there were runs called that yielded 1 or 2 yards just to keep the D honest, even sometimes on a 3rd and 3 or 4. That’s why I said we needed to run WR or RB reverses if the back 7 had fewer numbers.

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The pass game worked. We turned it over . That’s on the played not the coach.

When has anyone ever stopped passing for an entire quarter?

Trust me, if he called 27 runs in a row, I would most definitely have a problem with that as well.

Can you all just argue against the points that are actually made?

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Ha maybe. I need to go back and watch, I will soon, waiting for the replay to be available on game pass and Yellowstone is on…but it seems like I recall Frank and Wentz chatting prior to the running drive. I was hoping he was telling Wentz to stop checking out of plays (I assume that is the “kill kill” we hear)…. Maybe I’m giving Frank to much credit, but they did run that drive…if I’m remembering correctly.

The last drive they pounded the ball.

But like I said earlier.. most plays (when we were pass happy) were RPO calls. And with the fronts TB was giving, it meant they were almost always going to be passes. So it's not really Wentz choosing. He's just following the read. At some point, Frank needed to just call plays, not options. Pretty sure that's what happened on the last scoring drive.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree with they should have mixed in a few more runs but the Colts were keeping them honest without it.  That’s part or why the Colts kept throwing.  The Bucs kept playing the five man fronts and keying on the run no matter how much the Colts threw.  That’s why Carson kept throwing on the RPOs.  

Everyone suggesting they should have run more is also assuming it would have worked like the last drive.  Maybe it would have but maybe it would have gone like the first four drives where they had 2 yards rushing to go with three three and outs and a fumble.  

I get the logic some are using what the Colts did didn’t work so they wished they had done the other thing but it’s fair to at least suggest the leagues number one rush defense would have been ready for the run had the Colts tried to pound it more like they did early.  Then every one would have been screaming Frank shouldn’t have gone away from the pass because it was working.  

Regardless, throw or run you can’t turn the ball over five times give up 24 points on those turnovers and 38 total and expect to win many games, especially against the defending world champions and Tom Brady.

I don't think any are suggesting that running more would have resulted in the same success JT had on the last drive. Also showing play action and passing 20+ times in a row kind of reduces the effect of play action. As I read this I think what most are suggesting is mixing it up. No one has suggested only one or the other but a combination of run and pass.

I agree the TOs and penalties killed us. I tought we got the short end of the stick on some crucial calls such as RYS PI call and the Carrie PI in the endzone as well as the no call on the 1st INT to Pittman.  There wasn't just one thing that beat us but a combination of things.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

And the point I was trying to make is, it wasn’t that good of a pass…not horrible but could have been better, if we are being picky. And Pitt wasn’t in great position, if I recall correctly, he had to change shoulders and readjust. He wasn’t in the best position to make the catch which allowed the defender to jump over him. Saying 100% it would have been a td is a stretch. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, these folks don’t get it. When Peyton was with our 31st ranking rushing unit in 2009 that he took to the SB, and in 2015 with the Broncos, countless times there were runs called that yielded 1 or 2 yards just to keep the D honest, even sometimes on a 3rd and 3 or 4. That’s why I said we needed to run WR or RB reverses if the back 7 had fewer numbers.

I mean look no farther than the Bucs…they continued to run despite being down and they have Brady, Gronk, Evans, Godwin, etc…

Lol ok. So it’s fine to say that he would have caught that and scored, but it’s not ok to say that running more would have helped or change the out come….I get it now.

Yeah I didn’t say that, in fact I’ve said I wish they would have sprinkled in a few more runs.  It just wasn’t the main reason they lost.  They lost because of five turnovers.  It’s not like Wentz was throwing picks left and right.  He threw one at end and one where the safety made an amazing play that even the announcer even said every QB in the league throws that pass 100 times out of 100.  

The others were fumbles.  That were caused by guys not making plays not the play calls themselves.  One was missed block, one was the WR not protecting the ball and the other was a muffed punt that came without the offense even on the field.  

7 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

PS... I've got YS on too. Keep pausing it to reply... 

I think I need to pour a drink, forget about the board, and just enjoy YS for an hour...

Have you checked out Mayor of Kingstown. Pretty decent.  Sheridan is awesome.

I'm uber hyped about the two YS spinoffs (1883 and later 6666).

See ya in an hour lol.. 

I mean look no farther than the Bucs…they continued to run despite being down and they have Brady, Gronk, Evans, Godwin, etc…

The Colts also weren’t stopping the run like the Bucs were early.  More times than not they were getting yards rushing the ball.  Had the Colts had the same success early the would have never gone away from it in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

And the point I was trying to make is, it wasn’t that good of a pass…not horrible but could have been better, if we are being picky. And Pitt wasn’t in great position, if I recall correctly, he had to change shoulders and readjust. He wasn’t in the best position to make the catch which allowed the defender to jump over him. Saying 100% it would have been a td is a stretch. 

Wentz did say he would of liked that one back.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I didn’t say that, in fact I’ve said I wish they would have sprinkled in a few more runs.  It just wasn’t the main reason they lost.  They lost because of five turnovers.  It’s not like Wentz was wild with the ball and throwing picks left and right.  He threw one at end and one where the safety made an amazing play that even the announcer even said every QB in the league throws that pass 100 times out of 100.  

The others were fumbles.  That were caused by guys not making plays not the play calls themselves.  One was missed block, one was the WR not protecting the ball and the other was a muffed punt that came without the offense even on the field.  

Let’s clear some things up:

1. I never blamed Wentz for making that throw. It was a great play but worth the risk. Saying it was a TD without the pick is a stretch. 
2. The turnovers, minus one, were a result of pass plays. Slice it however you’d like, but it started with a pass. If we run more, we aren’t passing, maybe JT fumbles 3 times, but I doubt it. 
3. if we run more, we use more clock, we wear the d down, we shorten the game and possibly eliminate the possibility for the turnovers. 
4. Had we been down 10-17 points, I could understand coming out pass happy, I can not for the life of me understand it giving the game scenario. 
5. Minus the one running td in the 4th quarter…did JT get one touch in the redzone today? Did he not have 5 tds last game and not one redzone touch until the 4th today?

The run - pass thing is obviously more nuanced than coming in and calling a specific number of run plays irrespective of game situation, defensive look, etc. 

However, that being said, in general, it is abundantly c;ear that the offense (and therefore, the team) is the best form of itself when they are more run oriented.  @EastStreet I believe had some pretty good numbers backing this up on another thread showing the W-L splits when they are more run heavy.  

In this game, the issue is the 3rd quarter when we had a 10 point lead coming out of the half and basically had 20 straight pass attempts.   This game was never going to be won getting into a shootout with TB12.  You have gotta shorten the game.  

I understand that you have to take what the defense is giving you, but the truth is this team simply is not talented enough (with injuries at receiving corps, o-line pass pro, Wentz's skill set and ceiling as a QB) to throw the ball all over the field with every team in the league and expect to be successful.  You have to play to your strengths especially to beat good teams.  With the resources invested in the o-line and the talent with JT in the backfield, you should still have the ability and go-to blocking schems at this point in the season that allow running the ball even against stacked boxes.  

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

The Bucs were able to run the ball. The talent of their WR group keeps the run game honest. That’s why we need better WR.

That doesn’t make sense. The talent of their WR keep the passing game honest, plus you know actually passing to their WR. Them running the ball kept the running game honest. Us not running the ball didn’t keep our run game honest, or is JT not talented?

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

PS... I've got YS on too. Keep pausing it to reply... 

I think I need to pour a drink, forget about the board, and just enjoy YS for an hour...

Have you checked out Mayor of Kingstown. Pretty decent.  Sheridan is awesome.

I'm uber hyped about the two YS spinoffs (1883 and later 6666).

See ya in an hour lol.. 

I can not wait for 1883. 

I can’t find mayor of knightstown…I know same channel but I keep missing it…when is it on?

Just now, Btown_Colt said:

Let’s clear some things up:

1. I never blamed Wentz for making that throw. It was a great play but worth the risk. Saying it was a TD without the pick is a stretch. 
2. The turnovers, minus one, were a result of pass plays. Slice it however you’d like, but it started with a pass. If we run more, we aren’t passing, maybe JT fumbles 3 times, but I doubt it. 
3. if we run more, we use more clock, we wear the d down, we shorten the game and possibly eliminate the possibility for the turnovers. 
4. Had we been down 10-17 points, I could understand coming out pass happy, I can not for the life of me understand it giving the game scenario. 
5. Minus the one running td in the 4th quarter…did JT get one touch in the redzone today? Did he not have 5 tds last game and not one redzone touch until the 4th today?

1.  I never said you did blame Wentz.  It wasn’t a stretch.  Pittman hands were under Winfield it’s why he had to go over Pittman.  If Winfield doesn’t do that and assuming Pittman doesn’t drop it (again if he does what he normally does and you expect him to do) it’s a TD.  
2.  They happened on pass plays they doesn’t mean they were results of pass plays.  Having the ball knocked out can happen on any play pass or run.  Bottom line is guys have to do their jobs better that’s on players not play calls.  
3.  You are assuming the run works.  If not you just go three and out and wear your defense out or set your QB up in third in long which offense leads to turnovers.  Considering the way the Bucs shut the run down early it’s not unreasonable to suspect they would have continued to do that because the Bucs never got out of that front regardless of how much the Colts threw until the last drive when the Colts did go back to the run and got it going to the point the Bucs tried to go back to the five man front midway through the drive.  With that said yes I wished they would have sprinkled in a few more rushes and I think the Colts tried too.  I don’t think all those RPO’s and play changes Wentz did were designed to be passes.  He was taking what the Bucs were giving him.  
4.  They didn’t come out pass happy.  They came out run happy the Bucs shut it down then they went to the pass and it worked to the point they had a lead and were using it drive for another TD.  Let’s say they come out and try to establish the run to start the second half and the Bucs shut it down and the Colts go three and out and Bucs drive down and score.  Then everyone is screaming why did the Colts go away from what was working?

5.  The Colts scored every time they were in the redzone today so what’s the point?  Who cares is Taylor runs it in or Doyle or Hilton catches the TD if the results are TDs?

7 minutes ago, SR711 said:

The run - pass thing is obviously more nuanced than coming in and calling a specific number of run plays irrespective of game situation, defensive look, etc. 

However, that being said, in general, it is abundantly c;ear that the offense (and therefore, the team) is the best form of itself when they are more run oriented.  @EastStreet I believe had some pretty good numbers backing this up on another thread showing the W-L splits when they are more run heavy.  

In this game, the issue is the 3rd quarter when we had a 10 point lead coming out of the half and basically had 20 straight pass attempts.   This game was never going to be won getting into a shootout with TB12.  You have gotta shorten the game.  

I understand that you have to take what the defense is giving you, but the truth is this team simply is not talented enough (with injuries at receiving corps, o-line pass pro, Wentz's skill set and ceiling as a QB) to throw the ball all over the field with every team in the league and expect to be successful.  You have to play to your strengths especially to beat good teams.  With the resources invested in the o-line and the talent with JT in the backfield, you should still have the ability and go-to blocking schems at this point in the season that allow running the ball even against stacked boxes.  

We don't need to be run or pass heavy. Balance is key. 

Some games we throw more, some we run more. 

But we should never altogether forget about our best player for a quarter plus.

Wentz was at his best in 2017 when he had balance. 

That's the model. Or should be.

You have a player that's MVP caliber, he had the hot hand, Reich said you go with the hot player, as in the case of the kicker. But this was not the case with JT, thus preventing him in achieving 9th straight scrimmage yds with a td, only needed 3 more yds for the record,  it's a shame he didn't get a touch for 1 1/2 qtrs.  Play calling in certain plays was bad.  "Run  the Damn Ball, Reich"

7 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I can not wait for 1883. 

I can’t find mayor of knightstown…I know same channel but I keep missing it…when is it on?

First two episodes were on Paramount Network, the rest on Paramount+ (streaming). 

Very solid cast and writing. I like Renner better in this than as Hawkeye.. 

1883 is going to be on the Paramount+ too I think.

Did you hear about the 6666 spin off. It's about the old days at the ranch Jimmy just arrived at. 

Get Kodi lol.

Taylor’s number with 8 in the box have been stellar.  You can’t abandon the run entirely.  He had a couple good runs in the 2nd Quarter then he didn’t touch the ball at all in the 3rd.  Inexcusable!  

26 plays in a row throwing.  The D is just lining up and coming after the QB at that point. They were driving had them on their heals in Tampa’s territory. I was yelling run the ball prior to the strip sack play. Have to keep the defense honest.  Wentz playing selfish ball checking into too many passes. 

1 minute ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Wentz playing selfish ball checking into too many passes. 

I am all for giving the QB the latitude to adjust to a better play call depending on what he sees on pre-snap read, but sometimes (and this is ultimately the responsibility of the head coach) you have force opportunities for the most dynamic talent on the offense especially when the advanced numbers show they still are effective running against stacked boxes.  

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

First two episodes were on Paramount Network, the rest on Paramount+ (streaming). 

Very solid cast and writing. I like Renner better in this than as Hawkeye.. 

1883 is going to be on the Paramount+ too I think.

Did you hear about the 6666 spin off. It's about the old days at the ranch Jimmy just arrived at. 

Get Kodi lol.

Ahh did t realize the paramount plus. Thought it was the same as paramount. I’ve heard about 6666 excited for it too.

3 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

One thing is for sure so far, the Colts are currently 0-5 in games where Wentz chucks the ball around 35+ times lol......................

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Which is why teams are going to try to do what the Bucs did today and make the Colts throw.  The good news no one else in the league is as good as the Bucs are at stopping the run.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Which is why teams are going to try to do what the Bucs did today and make the Colts throw.  The good news no one else in the league is as good as the Bucs are at stopping the run.

True, definitely helps to have a top 3 defense lol.  They're no joke at all, especially that line with Vea, Suh, Gholston, Barrett and co.   

Just now, Malakai432 said:

True, definitely helps to have a top 3 defense lol.  They're no joke at all, especially that line with Vea, Suh, Gholston, Barrett and co.   

Honestly the game that scares me the most that left for the Colts is the Pats.  The hoody is going to try to do exactly what the Bucs did.  Take away Taylor and say okay Wentz beat us and if you can congratulations.

11 minutes ago, Malakai432 said:

One thing is for sure so far, the Colts are currently 0-5 in games where Wentz chucks the ball around 35+ times lol......................

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

How many points did we score in those games?  And how many points did the defense give up?

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

1.  I never said you did blame Wentz.  It wasn’t a stretch.  Pittman hands were under Winfield it’s why he had to go over Pittman.  If Winfield doesn’t do that and assuming Pittman doesn’t drop it (again if he does what he normally does and you expect him to do) it’s a TD.  
2.  They happened on pass plays they doesn’t mean they were results of pass plays.  Having the ball knocked out can happen on any play pass or run.  Bottom line is guys have to do their jobs better that’s on players not play calls.  
3.  You are assuming the run works.  If not you just go three and out and wear your defense out or set your QB up in third in long which offense leads to turnovers.  Considering the way the Bucs shut the run down early it’s not unreasonable to suspect they would have continued to do that because the Bucs never got out of that front regardless of how much the Colts threw until the last drive when the Colts did go back to the run and got it going to the point the Bucs tried to go back to the five man front midway through the drive.  With that said yes I wished they would have sprinkled in a few more rushes and I think the Colts tried too.  I don’t think all those RPO’s and play changes Wentz did were designed to be passes.  He was taking what the Bucs were giving him.  
4.  They didn’t come out pass happy.  They came out run happy the Bucs shut it down then they went to the pass and it worked to the point they had a lead and were using it drive for another TD.  Let’s say they come out and try to establish the run to start the second half and the Bucs shut it down and the Colts go three and out and Bucs drive down and score.  Then everyone is screaming why did the Colts go away from what was working?

5.  The Colts scored every time they were in the redzone today so what’s the point?  Who cares is Taylor runs it in or Doyle or Hilton catches the TD if the results are TDs?

1. You may be right, I need to rewatch. Just going off what I recalled happening.

2. LOL. They happened on pass plays. Never seen interceptions on non-passing plays. Wentz doesn’t get a strip sack fumble on a run. D isn’t teeing off because we’ve abandoned the run. Again, the turnovers are what they are, and yea it’s on the players, except where you want to make excuses for the Pittman one. It’s not the point, more runs don’t out you in those positions…risk mitigation with a lead.

3. You expect Pittman to catch it, cuz he normally does, but then say you don’t expect JT to do what he normally does…sounds like your grasping. Even though Pitt had just as rough start to the game as JT. 
4. I don’t know how you can say they didn’t start the 3rd pass happy. After the 2nd series they went pass happy.

5. I don’t care who gets the TD. I care that they were totally one dimensional and played into the Bucs plan. And no, they didn’t score every time they were in the redzone, or do you not remember the strip sack fumble debacle? You know, the play that changed the entire course of the game..good grief. 

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

How many points did we score in those games?  And how many points did the defense give up?

A ton of points, EDIT: 31.2 pts per avg.  However, Wentz also had 4 INTs and 4 fumbles (3 lost), and was sacked 11 times during these five games of 35 or more attempts.  

Archived