Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Week 12 Reich Grievances Thread (MEGA MERGE)

Rally5

8 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Read my posts and you will find your answers about the first question. Granted I would have to go back and check that third down play but if they were playing the run heavy, then I am totally fine with doing a pass instead, because so far in the game we weren't winning at the line of scrimmage.

As for the next drives once again go to my other posts as I talk about them.

Lastly why is everything Wentz's fault to you like under your train of thought I bet you think he was shining a light in Hines face so it was Wentz's fault he muffed the punt lol

With great power comes great responsibility… I place more blame on Wentz because he is our QB and he has final decision making on the RPO plays.  3rd & 1 I’m for giving it to JT.  Scheme it up and get that yard.  Bring in Hines and run that sweep as misdirection.  Someone with the stats please show me Carson’s success rate on choosing to pass on 3rd or 4th and 1 from the RPO.  I can think of many failed opportunities that proved costly in games that we lost.  He isn’t alone in blame but he’s the QB so he runs the offense when it’s on the field.

Now,admittedly, I wasn’t a Wentz fan coming into this season.  But he’s grown on me.  I’ve seen him improve this season.  Teams no longer can get away with the same coverages that had him confused and taking kill shots the first few weeks.  He just needs to play the game manager this year.   Just be clutch.  Stop throwing the ball 40 times.  We don’t win like that with Carson against the better teams.  The others team know that.  Why don’t we?  

When he starts winning games against the better teams, throwing it that many times then I will be all for letting him throw it every time from the RPO.  Until then, give the ball to our MVP (Taylor).  Don’t abandon the run, just adjust the way you’re going to attack them via the run.  

That’s funny about the Hines muff.  I only blame Carson for his own failures.  Hines and everybody else deserves their own blame for their screw ups.  I’m just not gonna give Carson a pass because he’s our QB.  I think others around here are so desperate to have “the man” at QB again that they only see Carson’s positives and don’t hold him to the standards that this team needs him to reach if we’re going to succeed.  And for the record, I was just as hard on Rivers last year.  This team is talented enough to make a deep playoff run but instead we’re sitting at .500 and currently on the outside looking in….

That’s not good enough to me.  Just a slight improvement from Carson & Frank and we could easily be 9-3 despite the injuries and sometimey defense.  Just lean on JT and the OLine & run game and be clutch with the pass game when needed.  And never let a team make us forget our identity.  That’s running the ball on offense with a defense that creates turnovers.  Lastly, those first 4 drives didn’t prove that they could stop our run all game.  It just proved they could stop us from believing in it and get us to abandon it…

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

It’s ok, I already did, I’ll try to find it in this mess.

You could say the pass set up the run….but you’d have to watch the game again. What actually happened to start the 2nd quarter was the jumbo package to counter the 5 d-linemen. Then the play action pass to Dulin.

Then the next drive, the run and pass were both working, as you show above.

Then the last drive of 2nd quarter JT is in sidelines and it’s all pass except for 1 run to Hines. JT played one snap, the 4th down TD pass.

To start 3rd quarter, all pass. I think 1 run in 3rd quarter. 

When he was balanced, the offense worked. When he got away, turnovers happened and lead was squandered. It’s not a coincidence.

This. It was always balance that worked, except in the 4th when we just ran it all the way down the field to score a TD.  Problem is we scored too quick at that point.

3 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Just a slight improvement from Carson & Frank and we could easily be 9-3 despite the injuries and sometimey defense.

Changing whatever play calling may have given us a lead in a game where we did not have one.  Which would have changed the opponents subsequent play calling.

But during the Ballard tenure, how many times, if ever, has the defense gotten a critical stop preventing a playoff caliber team from scoring late to take the lead or to win the game?  Less than 3 times I bet.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Just some context:

I think that last drive TB showed a different front.  Its what someone said, can't confirm.

There was some talk that we should have ran JT more simply because we were two scores ahead in the 3rd Q.  LOL.

I think some of the criticism is based upon the idea that we would have not turned the ball over, moved the ball as good as we were during that 22 pass string, and maybe would have went three scores ahead if we ran JT some.  I like balance too, but I don't see how those conclusions are formed.

Those 3Q drives were stopped by turnovers and penalties.  All three drives.  As much as people say that things would have been better if something that didn't happen did, like running JT; things would have also been better if we didn't get the turnovers or the penalties. 

It seem like some are accepting one fantasy outcome and discounting the other, IMO.

TB showed different fronts throughout the game. The Colts showed different packages as well. Pretty common in the NFL.

Im sure the last drive, Tampa said hell let them run the ball down the field and score to tie the game up, why not. If you can’t confirm, why comment? Why can’t you confirm, you didn’t watch the game

or you don’t know the difference in D fronts?

Also, assuming your correct and

the Bucs did allow them to run more, should a light switch not have went off saying wait, this is what they want us to do, why is that?

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

TB showed different fronts throughout the game. The Colts showed different packages as well. Pretty common in the NFL.

Im sure the last drive, Tampa said hell let them run the ball down the field and score to tie the game up, why not. If you can’t confirm, why comment? Why can’t you confirm, you didn’t watch the game

or you don’t know the difference in D fronts?

Also, assuming your correct and

the Bucs did allow them to run more, should a light switch not have went off saying wait, this is what they want us to do, why is that?

I was just pointing out that Wentz/Frank might have called more runs during that drive because of how TB was playing compared to how they were playing throughout the game.  Its what someone said, and it would be good info to know.

If you know for certain that TB was giving the same kinds of looks on that drive as they did throughout the game, then that settles that question.

But if we do the "what if more JT during the 3Q drives" thing, we should also consider "what if no pick or fumble on the 3Q drives" too.  Its just the way I look at stuff.

Yes, how genius. The players shouldnt turn the ball over. Of course. I never thought of that.

That has nothing to do with whether or not its smart playcalling to run 27 pass plays IN A ROW.

Because its not. Its horrible playcalling. 

This is nothing more than "whataboutism" run amok.

Make excuses for Reich if you want. But you cant run from the results of his coaching strategies.

This team is massively underachieving and its on the coach. Their performance is his responsibility. They are very talented and prove it every time they play a top team. And they come up short because of puzzling coaching decisions more times than not. Its getting really old.

9 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

They didn’t play the same D. And the Colts countered the D front by going jumbo and it worked fantastically. 

Stacking the box is not playing the same D the entire game. Sorry. 

They played to stop the run, the intent was clear literally all game. And when they shifted out of that, we ran the ball. 

They didnt play the same D, and we didnt play the same O. We passed the ball 100 straight times? Fine, that's because they did the same thing 100 straight times with their defensive setup. We did not execute, period.

Just now, DougDew said:

I was just pointing out that Wentz/Frank might have called more runs during that drive because of how TB was playing compared to how they were playing throughout the game.  Its what someone said, and it would be good info to know.

But if we do the "what if more JT during the 3Q drives" thing, we should also consider "what if no pick or fumble on the 3Q drives" too.  Its just the way I look at stuff.

Mmmk

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

They played to stop the run, the intent was clear literally all game. And when they shifted out of that, we ran the ball. 

They didnt play the same D, and we didnt play the same O. We passed the ball 100 straight times? Fine, that's because they did the same thing 100 straight times with their defensive setup. We did not execute, period.

Mmmmk

8 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Right! I will say Nagy has done more with less than Reich has done less with more. 

Ah yes, he chose Trubisky over some other no-name QBs because that was the way to go, khalil mack is worse than any colts pass rusher over the time period, allen robinson is worse than any colts wide receiver over the time. 

If you've watched the chicago bears play football over the last few years and thought whoever was running that ship should coach the colts instead of the present coaching staff then there is no point debating further.

Ah yes, he chose Trubisky over some other no-name QBs because that was the way to go, khalil mack is worse than any colts WR over the time period, allen robinson is worse than any colts wide receiver over the time. 

If you've watched the chicago bears play football over the last few years and thought whoever was running that ship should coach the colts instead of the present coaching staff then there is no point debating further.

I agree I don’t want Nagy…but Khalil Mack surely isn’t worse than Pascal is he!!!!

8 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yes, how genius. The players shouldnt turn the ball over. Of course. I never thought of that.

That has nothing to do with whether or not its smart playcalling to run 27 pass plays IN A ROW.

Make excuses for Reich if you want. But you cant run from the results of his coaching strategies.

This team is massively underachieving and its on the coach. Their performance is his responsibility. They are very talented and prove it every time they play a top team. And they come up short because of puzzling coaching decisions more times than not. Its getting really old.

New England v Bucs. 40 pass plays, 8 runs. Thoughts on that ratio?

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

They lost lol

And New England doesnt have Jonathan Taylor.

The Pats might have a better run game than the Colts. 

They lost....barely. With a much much better defense than ours. 

You're focused on the end result, i'm talking of the strategy, not only did they ignore the run, the ran it EIGHT times all game. Boy if Frank had run eight times, this forum might be shut down now 

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

New England v Bucs. 40 pass plays, 8 runs. Thoughts on that ratio?

You mean in a game where they trailed the majority of the game….and lost? Sounds like they should have tried to run more, but then again they have a rookie QB and don’t have the best RB in the league either. 

or is every game exactly the same?

Has the RBs ever ran the ball 26 consecutive times, the answer is no b/c eventually it's going to catch up to you.  The Bucs made adjustment realizing what the Colts were doing by passing consecutive times like that, they(Bucs) made adjustments by stepping up their pass rushers and the outcome is obvious.  Should have mixed it up with the run game... Sad result, another Reich loss.

3 hours ago, Four2itus said:

If Belichick won a game by passing 20 whatever times in a row, fans would not be saying that he was lucky he won....they would be talking about how tough and brilliant he was. Had the Colts players done a better job of execution and ball security, Frank would not have been treated the same with a W. It's called bias. 

Show me a game where BB had his offense throw it that many times in a row or even remotely close.  I’ll eat my crow if there is one but highly doubt it.

why, because good coaches don’t do that.  

2 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

You mean in a game where they trailed the majority of the game….and lost? Sounds like they should have tried to run more, but then again they have a rookie QB and don’t have the best RB in the league either. 

or is every game exactly the same?

They have a better run game than we do, even without a caliber of back like ours. Keep that in mind for when we play them so you're not in for a rude boy surprise.

They have a rookie QB YET kept passing....should tell you something.

Every game is different, which is why some games you run, some you pass, some you can be balanced. What you dont do is try to force matters when the other team is clearly cheating to stop that action. This is the NFL, if a team wants to stop you running, they can. Even the Detroit Lions can accomplish that. The key is how you execute against the strategy. 

10 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Ah yes, he chose Trubisky over some other no-name QBs because that was the way to go, khalil mack is worse than any colts pass rusher over the time period, allen robinson is worse than any colts wide receiver over the time. 

He chose Trubisky right. Pace chose Trubisky. How many teams were looking to sign Trubisky to be their starting QB this year? I doubt Reich would have won as many games as Nagy with Trubisky as the QB. And no I wouldn’t take Pace over Ballard. Pace has dealt Nagy a bad hand and management forced him this year to play Fields. Fields is about to get Nagy fired if he hasn’t already. Nagy wanted to win and take his chance with Dalton.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

They have a better run game than we do, even without a caliber of back like ours. Keep that in mind for when we play them so you're not in for a rude boy surprise.

They have a rookie QB YET kept passing....should tell you something.

Every game is different, which is why some games you run, some you pass, some you can be balanced. What you dont do is try to force matters when the other team is clearly cheating to stop that action. This is the NFL, if a team wants to stop you running, they can. Even the Detroit Lions can accomplish that. The key is how you execute against the strategy. 

Oh boy. They trailed damn near the entire game. We had a lead. Sorry you don’t see the difference. No more to say. 

And I have no illusion that the Pats won’t be able to beat us, Frank hasn’t shown he can out coach other good coaches. Bill just saw the blue print, 5 man D front and Frank will shut the run down for him.

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Did you happen to catch the Bucs VS WFT game. They ran against the Bucs & won…but I’ve heard that isn’t possible.

Yeah, they won because they executed the pass plays when they needed to. They also won the turnover battle but lets not get caught up on those things, lets not worry about turning the ball over more than twice the amount of times Tampa did, lets worry about the run ratio.

Oh boy. They trailed damn near the entire game. We had a lead. Sorry you don’t see the difference. No more to say. 

And I have no illusion that the Pats won’t be able to beat us, Frank hasn’t shown he can out coach other good coaches. Bill just saw the blue print, 5 man D front and Frank will shut the run down for him.

They didnt trail the entire game. Repeating it doesnt make it right, the Pats led most of the game until the last moments of the 3rd Q. And when they trailed, it was by 3 or less ALL GAME. You dont pass and pass when you lead for as long as they did, and when you only trail by 3. They reacted to how the Bucs set up, and they had a clear intention to pass no matter what.  

Did you watch that game at all? Your narrative is not correct.

15 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

The Pats might have a better run game than the Colts. 

They lost....barely. With a much much better defense than ours. 

You're focused on the end result, i'm talking of the strategy, not only did they ignore the run, the ran it EIGHT times all game. Boy if Frank had run eight times, this forum might be shut down now 

So the best justification you can come up with for the Colts not giving their best player the ball more is that the Pats, who also lost, didnt give their RB more carries.

You're reaching. And it doesnt make any sense.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

They didnt trail the entire game. Repeating it doesnt make it right, the Pats led most of the game until the last moments of the 3rd Q. And when they trailed, it was by 3 or less ALL GAME. You dont pass and pass when you lead for as long as they did, and when you only trail by 3. They reacted to how the Bucs set up, and they had a clear intention to pass no matter what.  

And they lost.

I want to win.

10 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

He chose Trubisky right. Pace chose Trubisky. How many teams were looking to sign Trubisky to be their starting QB this year? I doubt Reich would have won as many games as Nagy with Trubisky as the QB. And no I wouldn’t take Pace over Ballard. Pace has dealt Nagy a bad hand and management forced him this year to play Fields. Fields is about to get Nagy fired if he hasn’t already. Nagy wanted to win and take his chance with Dalton.

How many times have the Colts been top 10 in offensive DVOA under Frank? How many times have the Bears been there?

18 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Show me a game where BB had his offense throw it that many times in a row or even remotely close.  I’ll eat my crow if there is one but highly doubt it.

why, because good coaches don’t do that.  

I've pointed out in this thread how the Pats ran 8 times versus throwing 40 times when they met the same Bucs, you aint gotta look far.

You serious?

1st quarter Bucs 3 pats 0

2nd quarter Bucs 3 Pats 7

3rd Quarter Bucs 7 Pats 0

4th Quarter Bucs 6 Pats 10

leading by 1 and leading by 10 are not the same. The Pats have a D they can lean on, the Colts don’t. Sorry, we won’t see eye to eye on this one. 

10 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Yeah, they won because they executed the pass plays when they needed to. They also won the turnover battle but lets not get caught up on those things, lets not worry about turning the ball over more than twice the amount of times Tampa did, lets worry about the run ratio.

You can worry about both.

Im saying lets not ask our QB to win a showdown with Tom Brady. 

Lets do what we do best. Which is clearly have a balanced offense.

Our best performance of the year?

Carson Wentz barely broke 100 yards passing.

We are not a passing team.

You serious?

leading by 1 and leading by 10 are not the same. The Pats have a D they can lean on, the Colts don’t. Sorry, we won’t see eye to eye on this one. 

Not to mention they dont have Jonathan Taylor!

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Damn if only the Colts would have tried that…is that not the point we have been trying to make? Stay balanced, take shots when they are there and protect the damn ball. We had the lead, we were ahead in the turnover ratio in 1st half….something changed….wonder if it was the play calls maybe? *

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

So the best justification you can come up with for the Colts not giving their best player the ball more is that the Pats, who also lost, didnt give their RB more carries.

You're reaching. And it doesnt make any sense.

And they lost.

I want to win.

No, my justification for pointing to them is Belichick did it and was praised for it.

And the Colts best player is the back so you'd better get used to teams stacking the box. Then what? You keep donating downs to the opponent and having the throw down multiple scores because you know...you wanted to run?

I'm not reaching, i'm saying that the Bucs presented an extreme scenario against the Colts and we reacted exactly as any smart person would...extremely. Do you not remember the years when 18 would force throws just because he had Marvin and then Reggie? Then he learned.

Sure you've got JT but you also have to be able to EXECUTE in other phases. This game turned when Eric Fisher blew his block and we didnt go up 31-14 and turned it over instead. It wasn't any big secret why we threw, it wasn't any big secret why we lost, we turned over five times.

Guys, we cant keep reacting like this every time we lose and the offensive stats are not 50:50. 

6 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

You serious?

You want to check your numbers again? Not sure what you're conveying.

4 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

Damn if only the Colts would have tried that…is that not the point we have been trying to make? Stay balanced, take shots when they are there and protect the damn ball. We had the lead, we were ahead in the turnover ratio in 1st half….something changed….wonder if it was the play calls maybe? *

The Bucs gameplan for Washington wasn't the same as what they had against us. And just so i know, what is your grouse? That we made mistakes in execution? Because if it's that we abandoned the run, that in itself makes no sense to grouse about. We put up 31, WFT put up 29. Why are you not mad about that?

3 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

No, my justification for pointing to them is Belichick did it and was praised for it.

And the Colts best player is the back so you'd better get used to teams stacking the box. Then what? You keep donating downs to the opponent and having the throw down multiple scores because you know...you wanted to run?

I'm not reaching, i'm saying that the Bucs presented an extreme scenario against the Colts and we reacted exactly as any smart person would...extremely. Do you not remember the years when 18 would force throws just because he had Marvin and then Reggie? Then he learned.

Sure you've got JT but you also have to be able to EXECUTE in other phases. This game turned when Eric Fisher blew his block and we didnt go up 31-14 and turned it over instead. It wasn't any big secret why we threw, it wasn't any big secret why we lost, we turned over five times.

Guys, we cant keep reacting like this every time we lose and the offensive stats are not 50:50. 

We could have still won with five turnovers if they did score 24 points off them. That is what ultimately sealed our fate

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Dude we actually scored when we were "donating downs to the opponent"......wth are you talking about?

WE DID NOT SCORE DURING THE STRETCH OF 27 STRAIGHT PASS PLAYS!

Not every play needs to be a homerun.

We also are not the Patriots. Nobody praised Bill Belichick for not running the ball. HE DID NOT THROW IT 27 TIMES IN A ROW!

Nothing you are saying is accurate or makes sense. Just stop.

You keep acting like what Reich did worked. It didnt work at all. It produced turnovers and blew a lead. 

53 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yes its bad play calling, I haven't heard many defenses of 22 in a row, but if you can't determine the significance of it, the bad play calling simply becomes an immaterial discussion about ideology...how is it best to call a game. 

Then you're judging Frank on an ideological standard, not by the results of what happened.  (And giving up 37 points is why we lost, 23 pts in the second half)

It was 3 series in the 3Q.  If all passes were called and the results were 3 and outs giving the ball right back to TB each time...which would have been only 9 passes.....then you have better ammo to question the play calling.  But the fact that 22 passes in a row over 3 series even happened (if you look at the beginning of that string, it was a 2Q TD to TY), proves that we were moving the ball and getting first downs with it.

So the consequences here are, what would have been the incremental increase in yardage and outcome if we sprinkled in runs along the way?  Yes, its about "whataboutism" for both the critics and the supporters.  Fantasy play calling is exactly that.

Just now, Colt.45 said:

You want to check your numbers again? Not sure what you're conveying.

The box score, do I need to do the math for you to? 
Pats trailed by 3 after the first quarter. Sometime in the 2nd the Pats had a lead of 1-4 points…but by the end of the half they had a 1 point lead. Sometime in the 3rd, the bucs scored 7 more giving them a 6 point lead until the end of the 3rd. Sometime in the 4th, the pats scored 10 and the bucs scored 6. Point being the Pats either trailed or were up by less than 1 score the entire game….totally different circumstances then having a 10 point lead starting the 3rd quarter with the ball in your hands

Archived